Kraft Wins again

28 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Not sure what this means -- is it possible for them to share the video with the judge/jury when this goes to trial and not to the larger public? I imagine so. 

They can't use the video at all so basically kraft got away with it. Shocking, that a rich guy with powerful lawyers would get off, but here we are..

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

They can't use the video at all so basically kraft got away with it. Shocking, that a rich guy with powerful lawyers would get off, but here we are..

I thought we were here to begin with because he got off? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, but the NFL can still provide punishment, so Goodumb will will impose a $25K fine to Kraft, which is like a penny to any of us, and take a 2030 7th round pick from the Pats and say he did his job. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Not sure what this means -- is it possible for them to share the video with the judge/jury when this goes to trial and not to the larger public? I imagine so. 

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Without reading the pleadings or the order suppressing the video...essentially jeremy2020 is right.  They can't use the video to prove he got a handy in exchange for money. 

It will be interesting to see on what grounds the judge suppressed the evidence.  Did they argue the video was inconclusive in terms of whether or not it was actually Kraft in the video? Was the manner in which they obtained the warrant to conduct surveillance legally deficient? Was it suppressed under some other legal/technical grounds?

None of the above actually means that the video can't be released to the public....it only means that it can't be used as evidence against Kraft at trial.

Again, without looking at the pleadings and the order....a Motion to Suppress usually only means the video can't be used at trial to prove his guilt. 

It is still a video that was part of government record and still falls into the freedom of information laws...so unless there is some other order saying it cannot be released, the Order to Suppress doesn't mean we don't get to see Krafty getting a crafty.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Got away with what though?  Consensual sex (in exchange for money) between 2 adults?

• Upvote 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/in-legal-victory-for-robert-kraft-judge-suppresses-video-in-prostitution-case/ar-AABjfGT?ocid=spartanntp

Robert Kraft scored a major legal victory Monday when a Florida judge suppressed video evidence that allegedly shows the New England Patriots owner paying for sex acts inside a spa, substantially weakening the government’s case.

In a 10-page ruling in Palm Beach County, Judge Leonard Hanser sided with Kraft’s lawyers, who had argued the warrant Jupiter, Fla., police obtained to secretly install cameras inside the Orchids of Asia Day Spa was flawed.

“Defendant’s motion to suppress is granted and all evidence obtained against defendant through and in connection with the search warrant is suppressed,” Hanser wrote.

The cameras allegedly captured Kraft and 24 other men paying for sex at the Jupiter spa during a multi-day surveillance operation in January. Kraft, 77, has denied engaging in criminal activity, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor prostitution solicitation charges, and requested a jury trial.

It wasn’t immediately clear if State Attorney Dave Aronberg’s office would appeal Hanser’s ruling, continue prosecuting the case against Kraft without the footage, or drop the charges.

The ruling followed a recent hearing on Kraft’s motion to suppress the video footage, in which Hanser heard testimony from police and public health officials involved in the Orchids case.

Bob Hohler of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe. John R. Ellement can be reached at john.ellement@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @jrebosglobe.

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Got away with what though?  Consensual sex (in exchange for money) between 2 adults?

well, if that were the case i'd say you are right, but doesn' this case involve girls who were trafficked? in that case its a bit differenrt

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Good!

Know how that video was obtained?  The cops got a warrant to install cameras inside the "spa".  The police then called in a false bomb scare and ordered everyone out of the building while they "investigated" their own false bomb warning, and installed the video cameras.  And that's how they got the video on Kraft.

Can't go along with it.  If you or I called in a false bomb scare and got everyone to evacuate, we'd go to jail.  But the police are supposed to be able to do this?  Sounds unconstitutional to me.  I'm glad the judge suppressed the video.

As far as the Patriots and their crummy QB goes, I hope for nothing but the worst.  But Kraft is right on this.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

26 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Good!

Know how that video was obtained?  The cops got a warrant to install cameras inside the "spa".  The police then called in a false bomb scare and ordered everyone out of the building while they "investigated" their own false bomb warning, and installed the video cameras.  And that's how they got the video on Kraft.

Can't go along with it.  If you or I called in a false bomb scare and got everyone to evacuate, we'd go to jail.  But the police are supposed to be able to do this?  Sounds unconstitutional to me.  I'm glad the judge suppressed the video.

As far as the Patriots and their crummy QB goes, I hope for nothing but the worst.  But Kraft is right on this.

Seeing how they been the last 2 decades..I'd say your hoping skills need work.

27 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Good!

they got a warrant so whats the problem? couldnt exactly just walk in and tell the place they were installing cameras. this is why our justice system sucks

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I really dont care that Kraft will get this thrown out. Maybe it should be tossed maybe it shouldnt. It just burns my britches that average Joes would never have the legal firepower to beat the rap like the billionaire. I'd bet he already spent 500K on this. Just further evidence of the 2 tiered legal system.

Although if any average Joe still had their case pending, they could literally just copy the motion Kraft's lawyers filed and seek the same result.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bigalbarracuda said:

I've already seen the video. Not kidding. Its an old guy getting jerked off on a massage table. Can't unsee. Be glad its "supressed".. 

Just read through the order....the most striking thing to me as a former prosecutor......Kraft had 7 private attorneys on the case.  A misdemeanor case in which he was never going to do a day of time.

All of that, and unless there is something specific in the Florida access to public records laws, I don't think anything in this order prevents the tape from becoming public.

• Upvote 2

This case for me was never about him being prosecuted. It was about the embarrassment that it brought. The worst case scenario for Kraft isn't being found guilty its about that tape getting out into the public. The decision accelerates the release of that tape.