GM dept. - Mike Maccagnan's 4 biggest mistakes as Jets GM ( ? ) ~ ~ ~

33 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Agreed. I asked a famous Adams hater on here who he would have picked at #3 this year since he didn't care for the pick of Q. Despite several attempts I never did get his choice. It's so much easier to throw stones years later than commit to someone up front. If you don't commit you can't be wrong.  

If we absolutely had to stay at 3, Ed Oliver would have been my top choice, followed by Josh Allen. 

• Upvote 1

Without hindsight, passing on Watson/Mahomes was number one in a landslide.  We needed a QB.  There they were.   Pick one.  Macc's horseshoe saved his ass later.

The rest of this stuff is a distant second.

Hack was 51st pick.   Reid picked Kevin Kolb 36th.  It happens.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Kevin Kolb completed 61.6 % of his throws, 8.5 yards per attempt, and had 85 TD's compared to 31 INT's at Houston.

Christian Hackenberg completed 56.1 % of his throws, 6.5 yards per attempt, and had 48 TD's compared to 31 INT's at Penn State.

Hackenberg's don't just "happen".  This wasn't a dice roll.  This was like Macc rolling 50 dice and trying to roll sixes on each one of them.  An unprecedented level of stupidity in Jets lore. 

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

As I recall, there wasn't much love for Watson/Mahomes that year.   But a couple guys nailed it.

Our safety hater had a boner for Solomon Thomas that year as I recall.  

"X message board poster got it wrong which means our GM is actually smart."

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kevin Kolb completed 61.6 % of his throws, 8.5 yards per attempt, and had 85 TD's compared to 31 INT's at Houston.

Christian Hackenberg completed 56.1 % of his throws, 6.5 yards per attempt, and had 48 TD's compared to 31 INT's at Penn State.

Hackenberg's don't just "happen".  This wasn't a dice roll.  This was like Macc rolling 50 dice and trying to roll sixes on each one of them.  An unprecedented level of stupidity in Jets lore. 

i think you got the wrong guy.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

He is referencing Kolb's college stats and even at that Kolb's pro career compared to Hacks is lights out. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

7 minutes ago, dcJet said:

You're off your usual good game today.  Get a snickers.

I directly responded to a point you made about Kolb and Hackenberg being the same type of mistake.  They weren't.  Not sure what prompted you to respond in this manner. 

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

He is referencing Kolb's college stats and even at that Kolb's pro career compared to Hacks is lights out. 

Yep.  Kolb had a 9-12 W-L record and 78.9 QB rating over a 6-year career. 

Hackenberg never played a snap in the NFL, then went on to embarrass himself in the AAF (51.6% completions with 0 TD and 3 INT) after claiming to the media that his problems were "fixed". 

• Upvote 1

Aren’t these indictments against Mac applicable to the whole scouting department? It seems unlikely that the GM is the only person who should be accountable for these mistakes.

Do folks believe that we have a competent staff that is continually overruled by Mac or do they instead believe that the troubles are more widespread?

That said, anyone would pick Darnold at #3, but it was Mac & staff who moved us up to three so that we would have the chance. While jumping on how bad the Hack pick was, we should give credit that the Darnold pick didn’t simply fall to us, we put ourselves in a position to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Truly how in the f*** is Mac still in that office. Getting lucky and having Darnold fall into his lap is not a qualifier for retaining him.

I respect #33 and what he brings to the defense but passing on Mahomes and Watson is unforgivable. 

Yes to the first part and no to 33

4 hours ago, kelly said:

Just how bad was Jets’ Rashard Robinson trade ?..  Ranking Mike Maccagnan’s 13 worst moves

The Jets’ cut Rashard Robinson – along with two other players – over the weekend in order to make room on the roster for some of their new draft picks.

In other words, general manager Mike Maccagnan finally gave in and admitted defeat on his 2017 trade for the cornerback.Robinson turned out to be an utter disappointment and cost the Jets a 5-round pick. But where does that obviously bad decision rank among Maccagnan’s (lengthy) list of miscues ?

Here’s a look at some of Maccagnan’s biggest mistakes since joining the Jets in 2015 :

1. Drafting QB Christian Hackenberg (2016)

Is there any doubt about what No. 1 on this list should be? Not only was Hackenberg bad, he was completely inept and unable to ever set foot on an NFL field. This move could not have gone any worse and was an utter waste of a second-round selection.

2. Signing CB Darrelle Revis (2015)

Revis made a whole lot of money to do a whole lot of nothing for the Jets in this reunion tour. He was OK-ish in 2015, but the whole thing imploded in 2016. And the structure of the deal crushed the Jets, too. Giving out $39 million guaranteed to an over-the-hill cornerback turned out to be a bad idea. Big surprise.

3. Letting NT Damon Harrison walk/re-signing DE Muhammad Wilkerson (2016)

These moves are listed in tandem because Maccagnan was forced to make a decision between these two, for cap reasons. Ultimately, he chose wrong. Harrison was and continues to be a very strong defensive presence, while Wilkerson turned into a cultural nightmare, ripe with disciplinary issues. Things went sideways in a hurry and the Jets paid him $37 million for eight sacks over two seasons.

4. Re-signing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (2016)

All the drama that surrounded Fitzpatrick that offseason turned out to be completely absurd and unfounded. He sure didn’t recreate his 2015 magic, as he basically stole $12 million from the Jets in 2016, contributing just 12 touchdowns, 17 picks and a 69.6 rating.

5. Drafting WR Devin Smith (2015)

Another completely wasted second-round pick here. Smith couldn’t stay healthy. He has just 10 career catches. Now he’s on a future/reserves deal with the Cowboys after getting cut by the Jets last July. Beyond brutal.

6. Drafting WR ArDarius Stewart (2017)

Maccagnan’s track record with wide receivers, particularly in the draft, has been abysmal. Stewart only cost a third-round pick, but he was still a total bust. He got suspended two games for a PED bust last July and was released once the suspension ended last season. Effectively, he lasted all of one year with the Jets. He made six catches. Yikes.

7. Trading for CB Rashard Robinson (2017)

The move for Robinson comes further down the board because it only cost Maccagnan a fifth-round pick to trade for the corner – but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a complete waste. Robinson couldn’t have been much less productive. All told, he played in 16 games for the Jets, with two starts — and just 103 defensive snaps. That’s brutal. Even worse? He was a known headache before the trade, then continued to get into trouble with the Jets, including a four-game suspension for edible marijuana possession. This trade went wrong in just about every way possible.

8. Signing WR Terrelle Pryor (2018)

Pryor was OK when he was on the field, but wasn’t much of a factor, outside of two touchdowns right before he got cut. Ultimately, he couldn’t stay healthy, so he was sent packing. The Jets signed him to a one-year, $4.5 million contract, so not a huge contract or big blow to the salary cap. But they got just six games, 14 catches, 235 yards and those two touchdowns out of him during his brief stint. Clearly not enough value for the money.

9. Drafting LB Lorenzo Mauldin (2015)

The second and third rounds of the NFL Draft have been a house of horrors for Maccagnan. Mauldin, a third-round pick, was no exception. He had an alright rookie season, playing 15 games and tallying 10 tackles, four sacks and a fumble recovery. But he never did much of anything after that, finishing his stint with just 33 tackles and 6.5 sacks. He was cut before last season as a result.

10. Signing C Spencer Long (2018)

The good news? Cutting Long this offseason didn’t cost the Jets anything in terms of dead money, because this contract was structured fairly well. The bad news? The team basically had a void at center for most of last season, as Long proved ineffective. A finger injury didn’t help, but he struggled to even snap the ball at times. Giving quarterback Sam Darnold basically no help from the center position in his rookie season was pretty brutal to watch at times.

11. Drafting LB Darron Lee (2016)

Lee hasn’t been a total disaster the past three years, as he’s been a starter and consistent contributor, even if he’s been unspectacular. But now the Jets have effectively given up on their first-round selection by signing C.J. Mosley to take his place in the lineup and declining his fifth-year option. Lee may or may not be with the team this year and will likely provide very little in return, regardless of whether he’s traded or allowed to walk in exchange for a compensatory pick. Effectively, Maccagnan got/will get three years of sub-par performance, plus a late-round pick, in exchange for his No. 20 selection in 2016. That’s not nearly good enough.

12. Signing RB Isaiah Crowell (2018)

Crowell had a handful of standout performances, but not nearly enough. Ultimately, he proved ineffective. Worse yet, he more or less openly disrespected Todd Bowles by turning his “butt wipe” celebration – which the head coach publicly decried – into an endorsement deal. Crowell was not worth the $4 million guaranteed. And he’s going to cost them $2 million in dead cap this season, too, since they cit him.

Honorable mention: Signing CB Trumaine Johnson (2018)

We’re withholding full judgement on this deal – well, kind of – considering it’s a five-year contract and we’ve only seen one season play out so far. But to this point, Johnson seems destined for this list. He was a disaster in 2018, turning in underwhelming performances throughout the season, in addition to missing time due to injury. Then he was benched in Week 17 for disciplinary reasons. His first impression in New York was horrible, especially given his $45 million guaranteed. But, there’s still time to turn it around.

>    https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/just-how-bad-was-jets-rashard-robinson-trade-ranking-mike-maccagnans-13-worst-moves.html

Would it be easier to post his good moves because everything else he’s done has been an atrocity.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Fans have 20/20 hindsight.  These posts are hysterical. 

I complain to my boss about this all the time. It’s unfair to do my performance review at the end of the year when he already knows how all my projects turned out. So I demanded he evaluate my performance in writing and in real time.

If anyone knows any place that’s hiring let me know.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What a hack-ass piece of sh*t article clearly written atop someone’s toilet. The actual list:

1. Passing on Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes. Call this revisionist, but that’s not how history works, which will show that there were two franchise QBs on the board and he took a safety. 

2. Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown instead of having the guts to go through a proper rebuild when both QBs were clearly stopgaps.

3. Offering Kirk Cousins $120 million in guaranteed money while fielding the worst roster in football. Imagine where the Jets would be if Maccagnan succeeded in bringing in Steve Beurlein 2.0 at $30 mil per.

4. Ignoring the OL and skill positions in the drafts leading up to 2018 while still claiming the “plan” was to draft QB in 2018. 

Geez....when you put it that way it's almost like we don't have a good General Manager.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Without hindsight, passing on Watson/Mahomes was number one in a landslide.  We needed a QB.  There they were.   Pick one.  Macc's horseshoe saved his ass later.

The rest of this stuff is a distant second.

Bingo!  I bolded the key part.  It's not as if the Jets were riding a 2nd or 3rd year Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith and still convinced themselves that they had a hopeful young QB.  There was a need.  It's the most important position in football.  And, the Jets passed on it....not once, but twice.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

literally no one knew Watson or Mahomes would be good, cant fault Maccc for that one

Irrelevant. We needed a QB. Instead he penciled in Geno as the starter in his first year as GM. Then after he got clocked he was saved by Fitz’s magical year. Incredible luck.  But even then, you grab a QB prospect to groom which he didnt. And don’t even mention Hack who was on nobody’s radar other than our brilliant GM. It wasn’t until his back was against the wall that he finally had to mortgage 3 2nd rounders to get a QB prospect. He was extremely fortunate Sam and Baker didn’t go 1-2 in the draft or we’d be stuck with that obnoxious a hole Rosen. 

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I directly responded to a point you made about Kolb and Hackenberg being the same type of mistake.  They weren't.  Not sure what prompted you to respond in this manner. 

hmm, no snitty intended, 80,

Those stats you posted didn't look like Kolb's stats to me so I said "i think you got the wrong guy." 

You said "X message board poster got it wrong which means our GM is actually smart."    I don't know what that even means regarding Mac blowing the Watson/Mahomes pick hence the snickers remark.

Peace!  

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Hard disagree. Lee's allergic to contact and has zero instincts, but his Combine workout was similar to guys like Bobby Wagner and Samson Ebukam. It was a whiff, but at least there was something there. There is literally zero precedent for a quarterback with Hackenberg's statistical profile ever succeeding in the modern NFL. It might be the single worst draft pick in Jets history, which is obviously a pretty high bar to clear.

This is pretty accurate. Gholston, for all his ineptitude in the NFL, managed to fool a lot of scouts and analysts at the time, who gave him a very high rating as a prospect. Hackenberg didn't fool anyone but Mac. He was a certified sixth round or later prospect by the best scouting reports out there. I have to believe O'Brien whispered something in Mac's ear and Mac bought it. Otherwise, it's simply astonishing. Don't be surprised if Daniel Jones is Hack part two. 

• Upvote 3

When is a pick like Hack, better than a pick like Kolb?

From a team and fan POV, I'd rather have Hack.   Why?  Because Hack is so bad, he never gets on the field.   Kolb plays 3 years and the team and fans think #kolbera and have to watch him suck for 3 years, and that delays the team from making another move.   In that regard, I'd rather have Hack than Kolb.   

Other Thought:

I'm not defending Hack, that was a bad pick, but I think some of you guys overblow it.  

IMO, there's no grading in busted draft picks.  A bust is a bust.  You don't get extra GM blame because your bust busted more than some another GM's bust.

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

From a team and fan POV, I'd rather have Hack.   Why?  Because Hack is so bad, he never gets on the field.   Kolb plays 3 years and the team and fans think #kolbera and have to watch him suck for 3 years, and that delays the team from making another move.   In that regard, I'd rather have Hack than Kolb.  

If you have competent people in charge, that doesn't happen.  Andy Reid gave up on Kevin Kolb far quicker than Macc gave up on Hackenberg.  Kolb barely played while McNabb was there, and though Reid did name Kolb the starter once McNabb was traded, Michael Vick was quickly put under center to be the starter once Kolb demonstrated he wasn't any good.

Smart organizations have contingency plans if a guy doesn't work out, OR move on quickly and push their chips to the center on someone else.  Macc's contingency plan was Josh McCown, and simultaneously he doubled down on Hack. 

• Upvote 1

I’m having a weird day. I’m in Pittsburgh for training and the guy in my class looks just like Mike Macagnan. He started talking football with me and it weirded me out.

Then I left work and went back to my hotel and ran into Antonio Brown. Apparently he was back in Pittsburgh for a court appearance. I had no desire to talk to him since he is a POS. Weird freakin day. 

• Sympathy 1