Jets claim two guys who couldn't Cheat well enough

Jets claim a pair of players off waivers from the Patriots

Posted by Josh Alper on May 14, 2019, 5:04 PM EDT
gettyimages-876025080-1-e1557867838251.j
Getty Images

The Patriots dropped wide receiver Xavier Ubosi and tackle Calvin Anderson from their 90-man roster to make room for Dontrelle Inman and Jared Veldheer on Monday, but the two undrafted rookies will not have to wait to continue their bids for NFL careers.

They won’t even have to leave the AFC East. The Jets announced on Tuesday that they have claimed both players.

Ubosi caught 48 passes for 1,065 yards and nine touchdowns over 20 games at UAB while Anderson transferred to Texas after opening his college days at Rice. Anderson started 14 games at left tackle for the Longhorns last season.

The Jets waived wide receiver DeAngelo Yancey and tackle Dieugot Joseph to make room for the new arrivals.

I just watched all of their tapes (watched 30 seconds to a minute of Ubosi’s highlights and read a snippet about Anderson). As a vested authority in both players, I can report that Ubosi is 6’3”, 214 lbs. and ran a 4.50/40 at his Pro Day. He ran many “nine” routes in the 30 seconds of tape I watched (“nine” routes are streaks, or go-deep routes, for you laymen). Anderson is 6’5”, 299 lbs and has a ton of starting experience at OLT, but he’s currently lacking core strength and needs a lot of technique work. Practice squad candidate, it sounds like. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Anderson starting 14 games at LT for Texas is impressive on paper. Playing at Texas, at one of the highest levels of college football counts for something. Patriots having serious enough interest to sign him makes me believe that he can play.  Definitely worth a good look.  

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just watched all of their tapes (watched 30 seconds to a minute of Ubosi’s highlights and read a snippet about Anderson). As a vested authority in both players, I can report that Ubosi is 6’3”, 214 lbs. and ran a 4.50/40 at his Pro Day. He ran many “nine” routes in the 30 seconds of tape I watched (“nine” routes are streaks, or go-deep routes, for you laymen). Anderson is 6’5”, 299 lbs and has a ton of starting experience at OLT, but he’s currently lacking core strength and needs a lot of technique work. Practice squad candidate, it sounds like. 

Thanks for the in depth analysis, Gil. Solid work.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well done, T0m Shane!  What would your detailed plan be to get Anderson's core strength up and to improve his technique?  Please include the specified diet, strength training regimen and areas of focus for when he's in Jets camp (being fully aware of the limitations per the current CBA of course).  Assume a 7 day per week schedule and utilize the current menu options available in the Jets cafeteria at Florham Park.  TIA.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Well done, T0m Shane!  What would your detailed plan be to get Anderson's core strength up and to improve his technique?  Please include the specified diet, strength training regimen and areas of focus for when he's in Jets camp (being fully aware of the limitations per the current CBA of course).  Assume a 7 day per week schedule and utilize the current menu options available in the Jets cafeteria at Florham Park.  TIA.

All of this information is available on mine and Angelo’s podcast, Two Sweaty Draftniks

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

With all that effort Tom, you are qualified to be a GM in the XFL.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Pfft.  Podcasts!  That's lazy journalism, Shane.  Lazy.

I hate podcasts.  Guys talk for 45 minutes when they could impart their info in 5.  In love with their "radio" voilces. Hahahaha.  Give me written matter, edited matter, small doses.

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

WR depth I like it may the best WR's be on the opening day roster. 

Pats don't have time to develop too many players right now. Brady & the Pats know every year is a Super Bowl run. That's why Innman & Valdeer. Edelman has really been their only DEVELOPED WR, all others were free agent pick ups. And Edelman cut his teeth on Special teams. 

I watched UAB's bowl game vs Northern Illinois live and thought to myself, "Ubosi can play in NFL."  

He is big and fast.  He can definitely develop with proper coaching.  He was predicted to get drafted by some sites as early as the 4th round.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Lon chaney said:

I watched UAB's bowl game vs Northern Illinois live and thought to myself, "Ubosi can play in NFL."  

He is big and fast.  He can definitely develop with proper coaching.  He was predicted to get drafted by some sites as early as the 4th round.  

He does looks good in his highlight clips.

Already 25 years old though, so hopefully he can adapt to the NFL quickly before it's time to retire.