Jump to content

What Is The Best Position?


New York Mick

Recommended Posts

I was BSing with a buddy and we were trying to figure out In the history of the Jets which position had the best players. DE? DT? RB? C? S?

QB is out because outside of Joe it’s been pretty blah. Vinny and O’Brien are next so blah. 

They've had a handful of good RBs as well as DTs, DEs and OCs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Center position until recently has had the most consistent play and least turnover. Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae and Mangold 50+ years and that short a list  I considered that impressive.

My first thought as well, and it's certainly not out of the question that a few years down the line they may find themselves having had back-to-back HOFers at the position, as Mangold's career (7x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro) will at least have him up for consideration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Center position until recently has had the most consistent play and least turnover. Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae and Mangold 50+ years and that short a list  I considered that impressive.

That’s pretty much my choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Center and it’s not even close IMO.

And it’s majorly contributed to Jets fans deluded thinking that Darnold is totally f*cked unless we have the next Kevin Mawae, Nick Mangold or Joe Fields at center.

If Harrison can just prove to be a solid starting caliber player at the position, we’re fine for 2-3 years minimum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Center and it’s not even close IMO.

And it’s majorly contributed to Jets fans deluded thinking that Darnold is totally f*cked unless we have the next Kevin Mawae, Nick Mangold or Joe Fields at center.

If Harrison can just prove to be a solid starting caliber player at the position, we’re fine for 2-3 years minimum.

But look at all the SBs they won with those guys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I was BSing with a buddy and we were trying to figure out In the history of the Jets which position had the best players. DE? DT? RB? C? S?

QB is out because outside of Joe it’s been pretty blah. Vinny and O’Brien are next so blah. 

They've had a handful of good RBs as well as DTs, DEs and OCs.  

Definitely DT!

 

Wait...are we talking about quality or quantity?  Because I do think we've had the most.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely Center - we've had some great players there over the years in Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae and Mangold. Even Roger Duffy was pretty good for a fair few years.

At no other position have the Jets had such consistently good play over such a prolonged period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I was BSing with a buddy and we were trying to figure out In the history of the Jets which position had the best players. DE? DT? RB? C? S?

QB is out because outside of Joe it’s been pretty blah. Vinny and O’Brien are next so blah. 

They've had a handful of good RBs as well as DTs, DEs and OCs.  

clubhouse guy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Running Back has to be up there.  While some of the RB's we've had came here in the twilight of their career, the list is strong and we've had like 5 RB's on the roster who have at one time led the league rushing; Tomlinson, Forte, Bell, CJ2K

While with the Jets it was;  Curtis Martin twice, didnt Thomas Jones do it 3 times?  twice with the Jets, once with Chicago?  Ivory led the AFC a few years back.  McNeil 1 year.

Throw in Riggins and Hector and Snell...

Pretty dang good group.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Center position until recently has had the most consistent play and least turnover. Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae and Mangold 50+ years and that short a list  I considered that impressive.

And it's not even close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Center position until recently has had the most consistent play and least turnover. Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae and Mangold 50+ years and that short a list  I considered that impressive.

Easily my first choice. I think the great center play that the Jets have had over the years is a big part of the center anxiety we're now enjoying. 

One position not being named here is CB, where the Jets have had some dominant guys from Johnny Sample to James Hasty to Aaron Glenn to Darrelle Revis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think Running Back has to be up there.  While some of the RB's we've had came here in the twilight of their career, the list is strong and we've had like 5 RB's on the roster who have at one time led the league rushing; Tomlinson, Forte, Bell, CJ2K

While with the Jets it was;  Curtis Martin twice, didnt Thomas Jones do it 3 times?  twice with the Jets, once with Chicago?  Ivory led the AFC a few years back.  McNeil 1 year.

Throw in Riggins and Hector and Snell...

Pretty dang good group.

 

 

 

Oh and a few of them are/will be HOF'ers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...