Was Josh Allen( qb buffalo) the right pick at 3?

Allen seems like he relies on his feet way too much.  When the pocket breaks down Darnold’s eyes are downfield.  Allen is running head first into the 2nd level.  That was pretty apparent when Darnold beat Allen head to head in Buffalo with freakin Jeremey Bates calling the plays.  He’s not going to last long like that.  Same for the guy in Baltimore.

7 hours ago, shuler82 said:

A jets fan with the handle Mcgahee 21.  Seems about right. 

Yeah, I noticed too. Inconsistency is death for NFL quarterbacks. Allen is the epitome of inconsistency and it's not something that can easily be fixed. My guess is that, despite his size, he will be very vulnerable to injury, as he runs far too much to compensate for inaccuracy and poor decision making. It's only a matter of time.

7 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Allen seems like he relies on his feet way too much.  When the pocket breaks down Darnold’s eyes are downfield.  Allen is running head first into the 2nd level.  That was pretty apparent when Darnold beat Allen head to head in Buffalo with freakin Jeremey Bates calling the plays.  He’s not going to last long like that.  Same for the guy in Baltimore.

LOL. I didn't even see your post as I was writing. Great minds...

22 minutes ago, CTM said:

Statistically Darnold and Allen are a far closer comparison than Darnold and Baker, and when you drift into the yea but did you watch the games sh*t you sound like the op. Allen even played better after missing weeks with injury.

Note: I prefer Darnold to Allen and think hes a better player, just think it's funny you are goofing on the OP while echoing his POV in the same thread.

Yeah, but I’m not over here refuting numerically evidence that one QB is better than the other. I have no issue admitting that Josh Allen looked better after his injury. I also have no issue shoving him to the side when I consider who will be the best out of them all and who is worth comparing. Yes, Darnold and Allen are much closer in pure statistical value but in terms of who I think is more comparable when it’s said and done — Darnold and Baker. Josh Allen will not survive as a starting QB that long imho.

7 hours ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

After watching him last year it was beyond obvious he was the most physically gifted qb. Raw but most gifted. I feel like darnold will just be another obrien , solid but nothing special and we passed on the next elway

Discuss...

Um. Well, I think he’s the guy Mac was targeting by getting into top 3. As he said, he never expected Darnold to be there. SO I’d guess he wanted Mayfield or Allen.

I know this is a troll but had to bite since it's not even close, considering Rosen and Jackson will be better than Allen who will not even sign a second contract

The most "physically gifted" QB's do not win SuperBowls, Allen is a backup QB at best, remember the guy who could throw it through the goalposts from his knees on the 50 lol - it's not just about size and strength

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

You are the first Jets fan I have heard question whether Allen would have been a better pick then Darnold, which makes me think you’re really a trolling Bills fan.

Even though Allen is faster and has a stronger arm, Darnold is still the superior prospect.  Much more polished and a million times more accurate.

he's a Bills fan.  

• Haha 2

There were two QB's drafted last year that were fantastic as "runners" and 
"athletes" they were Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.  The problem is if that's
the best thing you can say about your QB, YOU ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE!!!

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I know this is a troll but had to bite since it's not even close, considering Rosen and Jackson will be better than Allen who will not even sign a second contract

The most "physically gifted" QB's do not win SuperBowls, Allen is a backup QB at best, remember the guy who could throw it through the goalposts from his knees on the 50 lol - it's not just about size and strength

I don't know about Rosen. If he doesn't blow Miami away this year, he could very easily be on the third team in his first three years in the league in 2020. He went from one terrible team to another. Tough start to a career. Allen is the best athlete of the bunch and he's a smart kid, too. I think he'll carve himself out a career with a combination of wow plays and forehead slapping plays, but enough wows to keep him in the starting lineup. 

37 minutes ago, KRL said:

There were two QB's drafted last year that were fantastic as "runners" and 
"athletes" they were Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.  The problem is if that's
the best thing you can say about your QB, YOU ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE!!!

Lamar Jackson was actually more efficient passing the ball than any rookie QB not named Mayfield. The coaches there are bringing him along slowly, and I think they've laid a nice foundation for him. But yeah, both he and Allen definitely have the question of, "can they develop into a complete QB?" hanging in the air around them. 

Really no question about that with Darnold or Mayfield. The jury's out on Rosen. 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, CTM said:

when you drift into the yea but did you watch the games sh*t you sound like the op

So unless you have stats to back up whatever point its not true.  Old time players dont compare to today, especially QBs, etc.  If you put Brady on the Lions or Browns that barely won or didnt win a game he would put up the same numbers or if he flashed on the field, passed the eye test, it wouldnt count?

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Allen is the best athlete of the bunch and he's a smart kid, too. I think he'll carve himself out a career with a combination of wow plays and forehead slapping plays, but enough wows to keep him in the starting lineup. 

From what you read, it sounds like the Bills staff thinks they can turn Allen into Cam Newton-lite, which is such a narrow path that it’s almost hard to see how it works out. It was a weird pick for an organization that appears to have smart people running it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

From what you read, it sounds like the Bills staff thinks they can turn Allen into Cam Newton-lite, which is such a narrow path that it’s almost hard to see how it works out. It was a weird pick for an organization that appears to have smart people running it.

Hmmmmm? Didn’t even know Josh Allen liked hats. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With a UNCW grad as the GM.  :)

Got a chance to meet him a year ago.  Nice guy. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cam Newton is certainly the physical comp, but Allen has about a hundred miles to go before he's the (quasi-inaccurate) passer that Cam is. Baltimore did a much better job with Jackson than Buffalo is doing with Allen. The Bills would've been wise to bring Allen along the same way; use him as a gadget runner-maybe-passer in the first half of the year to get his feet wet, then move him into the starting lineup with a small playbook. Also, you don't want to stifle that big arm, but he's got to learn to take what the defense is giving him, too. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Bills coach had to drink that cool aid for years, don't forget.

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Cam Newton is certainly the physical comp, but Allen has about a hundred miles to go before he's the (quasi-inaccurate) passer that Cam is. Baltimore did a much better job with Jackson than Buffalo is doing with Allen. The Bills would've been wise to bring Allen along the same way; use him as a gadget runner-maybe-passer in the first half of the year to get his feet wet, then move him into the starting lineup with a small playbook. Also, you don't want to stifle that big arm, but he's got to learn to take what the defense is giving him, too. 

That may have been the Bills plan.  They signed McCarron and brought Peterman back.  McCarron hurt his shoulder and I'm not sure they liked how he handled it.  For some reason they went with Peterman as the starter and traded McCarron for a 5th - kind of like the Jets did with Bridgewater.  Peterman was predictably awful in the opener throwing 2 picks and taking 5 sacks in a half and a series and they were kind of forced to roll with Allen.  Peterman had 12 INTs and 1 TD in 2 starts, following up his 5 INT game in 2017.

• WTF? 1

19 hours ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

After watching him last year it was beyond obvious he was the most physically gifted qb. Raw but most gifted. I feel like darnold will just be another obrien , solid but nothing special and we passed on the next elway

Discuss...

Haha. Just put 2 and 2 together...

Macc is trolling us on the way out!

• Haha 1