Offensive Bubble Players: Cannon, Sterling, Burnett, Qvale, Webb?

Offensive Bubble Players?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. RB Trenton Cannon 

• A virtual lock to be on the opening day roster!
    • Seems like a safe bet at this point
    • Better than average chance to make it, but in a fight
    • Seems unlikely, but has a chance
    • An extreme long shot / very unlikely to be on the Opening Day Roster
  2. 2. TE Neal Sterling

3. 3. WR Deontay Burnett

4. 4. OL Brent Qvale

5. 5. QB Davis Webb

That's some bleak sh*t. Reflexively, you're like "no way Qvale or Canon or Sterling survives," but then you look at the roster and you realize that those guys don't have any actual competition for their jobs. Burnett has to beat out Greg Dortch and somebody named Tim White. Qvale has to beat out that dude they just picked off from the Pats garbage heap. Sterling has to beat out Eric Tomlinson. The only guy who faces legit competition is Davis Webb, and that's just because the head coach brought in his own developmental guy in Luke Falk. 

• Upvote 1

Burnett and Qvale have the best chance, IMHO.

Webb is in a numbers game, do the Jets keep three QBs? Siemian is only signed for one year, so maybe. Otherwise, they could try to store Falk on the practice squad. 

Sterling is almost certainly out with Herndon and Wesco as locks, Leggett probably right there with them, and Brown being a Gase guy. 

I'd keep Henderson over Cannon, who's also facing competition at returner from Dortch. Hard to see him on the 53, either. 

• Upvote 3

I’m a fan of Cannon, hopefully he’s better than last year and makes the team. They need to utilize his speed and has to be good on ST’s. Burnett, wasn’t used a lot last year so who knows. Both these players a good people, hate to see them gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Webb is in a numbers game, do the Jets keep three QBs? Siemian is only signed for one year, so maybe. Otherwise, they could try to store Falk on the practice squad. 

Sterling is almost certainly out with Herndon and Wesco as locks, Leggett probably right there with them, and Brown being a Gase guy. 

I'd keep Henderson over Cannon, who's also facing competition at returner from Dortch. Hard to see him on the 53, either. 

agree with all.  if dortch is ok he could knock burnett off the roster too b/c of return skills.  cannon's dropsies won't help either.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sterling makes the team because Herndon will be suspended.

When Herndon returns the Jets see who is injured and then figure out what to do with Sterling.  

Didn't take this into account. Crap, Herndon missing the first two games (hopefully no more) really puts a crimp in the Jets offense. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we use Ty Montgomery more as a WR than RB, Cannon has a shot to make it.  He was a 6th round pick so he has a better chance than the other guys on the list. 

Burnett is probably a Practice Squad guy. 

The rest....gone.

Dortch has better hands than Cannon for special teams and Cannon is a bit too small to contribute much as a running back.  He may make the team but won't be around much longer.  Macc has shown an increased willingness to walk away from his mistakes.

I hope Burnett makes the team but Peake likely would have to be cut and they seem to like him on special teams.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

That's some bleak sh*t. Reflexively, you're like "no way Qvale or Canon or Sterling survives," but then you look at the roster and you realize that those guys don't have any actual competition for their jobs. Burnett has to beat out Greg Dortch and somebody named Tim White. Qvale has to beat out that dude they just picked off from the Pats garbage heap. Sterling has to beat out Eric Tomlinson. The only guy who faces legit competition is Davis Webb, and that's just because the head coach brought in his own developmental guy in Luke Falk. 

Dortch offers more on special teams so he might beat out Burnett.  I like Burnett as a receiver, though.

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sterling makes the team because Herndon will be suspended.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Didn't take this into account. Crap, Herndon missing the first two games (hopefully no more) really puts a crimp in the Jets offense. 

Yeah I totally missed this bit of news, I guess that broke around the time of the Bowles firing so it might have gotten buried?

lolJets

1 hour ago, slats said:

Webb is likely gone.  I'm guessing he's just not that good if the Giants drafted him in the third and cut him so soon.  Gase has not history with him and the Jets have signed two guys since he showed up.  I'm guessing he's gone.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This thread is a reminder that the Jets should have traded down

I'd have taken 75 cents on the dollar if it was available.  I'm not buying the take that there were 0 opportunities to move down.  A savvy GM could have head-faked that someone wanted to move up for Haskins or one of the pass rushers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dortch is super tiny, though. I’m not sure you can have a dude that size returning kicks for you.

You are probably right.  But we definitely need a punt returner.  Cannon can't do it.  Maybe the Giants cast-off or Montgomery can do it?  Or maybe event the UDFA from BC?  I don't know enough about their hands yet.

I think Burnett has a good chance to make the roster -- familiarity with Sam should help along with the fact that we didn't draft WR.  Q, Robby, Crowder, Burnett, Bellamy and maybe Dortch if he shows somethign on STs.  Definitiely think there is room for Burnett.

Sterling, possibly makes it due to likely Herndon suspension to start the season.  Cannon is unlikelly -- with Bell, Montgomery and Mcgurie ahead of him, I think it is unlikely he sticks.  Practice squad maybe, but he has to show he can hold onto the ball.  Qvale -- I hope not.  After 4 seasonss we know what he is and what he is is not very good.  For Webb -- not sure it makes sense to keep 3 QBs, have to assume Siemian will be back up and either Webb or Falk to PS.

• Upvote 1

Really rooting for Burnett this year. He seems like the sort of guy Gase wants around - always gives 100% effort, even if he lacks a bit on the skill / athletic side. Plus he seems like a fit in Gase's short passing game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bealeb319 said:

Didn't burnette actually play well last year when given a chance? He also has a connection with darnold. Would be silly to cut him if there is a chance they could build some chemistry

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

And it's not like there's a logjam of talent at WR ... Burnett is a strong candidate for a roster spot IMHO.

Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder are our top 3. Then who - Burnett, Bellamy (mainly ST), Peake (again, mainly ST). After these guys it's real no mans land of UDFA guys (unless I missed someone?).

I reckon they keep that first five, dump Peake and the rest, and that's our depth chart. Maybe one or two guys make the PS.

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

And it's not like there's a logjam of talent at WR ... Burnett is a strong candidate for a roster spot IMHO.

Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder are our top 3. Then who - Burnett, Bellamy (mainly ST), Peake (again, mainly ST). After these guys it's real no mans land of UDFA guys (unless I missed someone?).

I reckon they keep that first five, dump Peake and the rest, and that's our depth chart. Maybe one or two guys make the PS.

I think Peake is a goner.  Bellamy will replace him as primary gunner on STs.  Maybe a guy like Dortch can grab the 6th WR spot if he proves to be a decent returner in TC/p[reseason. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I think Peake is a goner.  Bellamy will replace him as primary gunner on STs.  Maybe a guy like Dortch can grab the 6th WR spot if he proves to be a decent returner in TC/p[reseason. 

I'm not reckoning we'll keep 6 WR, unless one is a real ST demon. We'll be using TEs and RBs a lot in the passing game, not that much of a need at WR.