5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Mike Maccagnan left Sam Darnold exposed behind an offensive line that could get him seriously injured. He was running for his life most of last season. To me, that alone is more than enough to terminate him. 

I'm okay with the firing, it's just the timing and seeming lack of any kind of a plan that's making me cringe so much right now.

I want to think they were waiting for something else to fall into place or line up and that's what took them so long here... But? Why would I think that?

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

All the major roster construction is done for 2019.  There will be some decisions about signing guys cut from other teams during Camps and possibly some longterm extensions, but FA, the Draft, tender offers, franchise tag decisions, etc. are over for 2019.  IMO, this is as good a time as any to make a GM change.  The new guy gets to evaluate and watch the 2019 season unfold, then determines where changes need to be made.

My only major concern is the message this sends to current and recent Draft picks and Free Agents acquired by the Jets.  Do all of these look at themselves and say, "They just fired the guy for picking me in the Draft?"  In the next few weeks/months we'll be at the point where there is a new GM and NONE of these guys are "his guys."  That could be good, but it could also mean guys like Wesco, Cashman, etc. don't really get a shot.

That's a good point I suppose... It sort of gives the new GM as 'pass' year in which he can evaluate and get to know the players and organization before having to really dive into reconstructing things... Depending on who the new guy is it gives him a whole year to scout and evaluate before he has to go into his first off-season. 

But it still feels disjointed right now... Maybe as more statements and reports come out this will make more sense? Eh...? 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company