Finally! Where are the people that lambasted the few of us who were saying there was a rift and Macc would be fired? Eat some ******* Crow!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The lack of photos and videos of Gase meant something like I said all along. The only reason you fire Macc is bc there is a rift so deep it can't be fixed. He screwed up the #3 pick and paid the price like he should have. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure we will find out how much they value Harrison pretty shortly.

• Upvote 3

The beat writers are so upset bc they just lost any internal access Macc or Heimerdinger were giving them. I love it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

The beat reporters are going to go scorched earth on CJ and Gase bc Macc has been feeding them info and now they're cut off.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You could be right, but I also think that the Jets will never have a better DC than Gregg Williams while Gase is head coach.  Force feeding him Williams was for the betterment of the team.  If Williams quits or is fired in the next year or two, then I guarantee Gase will not bring in the best candidate.  He'll bring in a guy he knows.....which is just as bad as a DC bringing in his son.  Think of a Dowell Loggins for the Defense coming here in 2021.

Greg Williams has been an average to below average DC for years now. He is being way too hyped up here. That's coming from someone who liked the signing.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1

The Jets will be an attractive job no matter what the circumstances around the team are bc of one person....Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Timing of GM/EVP firings ...

4/30/17: Bills fire Doug Whaley THEY HIRED BRANDON BEANE WHO IS IN CHARGE AND HAS THIS TEAM ON THE RIGHT TRACK
6/22/17: Chiefs fire John Dorsey YES AND THEY HAD ANDY REID TO CARRY THE REIGNS 
7/17/17: Panthers fire Dave Gettleman 
12/7/17: Browns fire Sashi Brown AND THEY HIRED JOHN DORSEY.  HE'S IN CHARGE.
12/10/18: Raiders fire Reggie McKenzie THEY'RE THE RAIDERS!
12/31/18: Dolphins fire Mike Tannenbaum  THEY'RE THE DOLPHINS!
5/15/19: Jets fire Mike Maccagnan THEY'RE THE JETS!  THEY WILL HIRE SOME PUTZ WHO, ALONG WITH THE EMPEROR AND WHO KNOWS WHO ELSE, WILL REPORT TO JOHNSON.  SO NO ONE WILL BE IN CHARGE. 

NO ADULT IN THE ROOM.

So Macc was the adult in the room? You're embarrassing yourself. Take the L and move on with your life.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I never disliked Macc as much as some of you did, but this offseason when he ignored the C and ER position in FA and to a lesser extent after seeing his draft this year, I realized it was time for him to go. As far as Gase, I wasn't crazy about the hire, but he's the HC of my team, so I got on board.

After what happened today, the Johnson's are not going to hire a GM that their new HC doesn't approve of. There is no way the Jets will take the chance that the two new hires clash. So like it or not, and I'm not crazy about it, this is all about Gase and him becoming the de facto head of the Jets organization going forward.

I'm also very interested to see how this affects players like Lee and L. Williams going forward. They were Macc's guys, and he might have been hesitant to cut or trade his former #1 picks. Now all bets could be off...

Hopefully trades start to happen to strengthen other positions of need.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

one thing about the johnsons - they always need 1 guy they lean on and make decisions around that guy.  first it was parcells, then tanny, then mccagnan via casserly.  with gase coming, he probably supplanted mcags as the johnsons' go to guy.  thus mccagnan became expendable.  decisions will now be made with gase's desires in mind.  gase is the new rasputin.

Yeah and Gase's desires are to develop Darnold. Which is what Macc's desires should have been. Gase's success is directly tied to Darnold so he will be willing to do anything in his power to develop Darnold. We should all be on board with that philosophy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Bottom line, Maccagnan paid $165 million dollars to an ILBer, RB and slot receiver this year.  Decent players, but stupid money for those positions.  

Here's something worse. He spent over $175 million the past 2 years on 2 CB's and 2 MLB's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You sure? I don't know how this works. I know after their season has ended then teams can't deny (unless it's a lateral move and he's under contract the following year), and during the season they're employees of other teams whose plans for the upcoming season may now be ruined. But after the new league season officially starts, yet before the regular season begins, it's curious.

Why should another team lose their own guy in May just because the Jets felt like firing their GM at this time? Between final elimination and the start of the next season? Fine; promote/extend your guy or risk losing him. But once the new league year has started in March? Those teams could argue they'd have gone another way. 

For example, what if we fired Macc right before the 2018 draft, and hired the 2nd in command at a draft competitor with the same needs right ahead of or around us, so we'd know their board and know if we had to leapfrog them to get our man; or if it was a team behind us, we'd get to know what they were willing to give up in trade so we could beat that preemptively; whichever, it would give us an underhanded advantage in that regard. My guess is we'd need permission to even interview him, let alone hire him, since the new season was underway. 

Is it different now that the draft is over? I honestly don't know; my gut tells me we need permission to interview guys who are under contract with other teams, but it's for a promotion so they might not need it.

The only time an interview request can be denied on a non lateral move is during the actual season.

7 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Right move at the wrong time. 

It comes down to ownership being completely clueless about how to run a football franchise. If you're going to persist with this approach of having the head coach and GM report separately to ownership, then fire both of them at the same time so you avoid a situation where the GM and head coach are at each other's throats five months down the track. Some times the more traditional approach is the better approach. Find the GM and then let him pick his head coach.

Now, after the draft, sends a message to everyone signed and drafted during the off-season that perhaps you weren't the droids the franchise was looking for and it was a goof to sign and draft them. Great way to set up the season, especially if the head coach is leaking to the press that he was against the signing of a couple of the big free agents netted during the off-season.

Everyone should have been collectively happy that we aren't the Giants, wasting a top 10 pick on a QB who is the second incarnation of Christian Hackenberg. Now we're the butt of jokes again because the ownership is completely clueless.

I'm happy to see Maccagnan gone, but either he should have been fired in January with Bowles or retained until the end of the season.

The end of the season for the FO and scouts is May, not January. That's what people are failing to realize.

• Confused 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Let me get this right the Jets eschew getting a Mike Shannahan as president despite him wanting the job!!

You allow the GM to pick players, hire a HC and then fire the GM!!!

And allow the guy who has proven nothing to run your organization!!!

This is UTTER MADNESS!!!

I hated the Gase HIRE....... HATED IT and this is why!!

He is not Bellichick so fans have to stop the idea like Gase is some kind of idiot rain man...

Organizations win championships not nut jobs...

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has Mike Shanahan done in the last 10 years to warrant that title? 

Interesting tid bit from Charlie Casserly on NFL Total Access earlier today. He was obviously defending Macc and he said if you're Gase "how are you going to tell Johnathan Harrison that you didn't want him bc that's where you wanted Mike Paradis".

That's interesting bc all along and even today the reports were that Gase is the one who didn't want Paradis. So Casserly is confirming Gase wanted to bring in Paradis and Macc didn't. It's probably why Gase didn't think spending $17 million on a MLB was smart, especially when you won't spend the $10 million it would have taken to get Paradis to come here. Macc is a joke

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

That is silly...... 

If you are comparing Shanahan to Gase it simply is not worth the discussion.... 

Shanahan has done more in his career to build successful teams in the NFL than Gase can currently dream about.....

Shanahan is going to the HOF... Gase needs to buy a ticket.....

Yeah umm I wasn't comparing him to Gase. My point was why the infatuation with bringing Mike Shanahan in to oversee an organization when he's been out of football for the past 6 years. And his last stop in Washington he was 24-40 as the HC and Executive Vice President. The game has passed him by.

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

With Macc's guys.

Maccs guys were 14-34 the last 3 years. Any success with "his guys" will be quite an achievement for Gase.

• Like 2

The Jets need substantial upgrades at Center/CB/Edge/Backup RB to be considered a playoff contender. Without those additions a reasonable win total is 6-7 games unless Darnold has Mahomes type season. The Jets are currently the 3rd best team in the division.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Now it is reported that Gase was the one who essentially stopped the organization from upgrading the OL at Center!!!

You just can’t make this stuff up!!

Casserly let it slip on the NFL network that Gase wanted Paradis and Macc didn't. He said about Gase, "How are you going to look Johnathan Harrison in the face when you wanted Paradis". Casserly is close to Macc and I think that slipped out. The beat writers are just trying to pile on.

• Upvote 1

A rational discussion about the firing of Macc

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company