5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Funny I read earlier today that Bill Belichick will be the defensive coordinator in New England this year

Yeah, but he's a pretty good coach.

Gase as GM?  I don't recall him being the architect of the Cowboys in the 1990's or anything.

We all know the arguments for and against Macc.  IMO, he was mediocre.  Not as bad as some argue but he certainly wasn't a very good GM.

If we listed his Top 5 accomplishments against his Top 5 failures I think we'd simply see that it was the magnitude of the failures that outweigh the positives.  His successful draft picks are almost exclusively isolated to the 1st round with a couple exceptions.  He has executed some pretty poor FA deals like Crowell, T. Johnson (so far), and he overpaid Revis.  I think his best moves were in the trade arena....Brandon Marshall, Henry Anderson, Kelechi Osemele all look to have been very good trades for 5th, 6th, 7th round type picks.  All starters.  The trade up for Darnold was quite astute but required a little luck (thank you Cleveland and the Giants).

The future is now.  This is clearly Adam Gase's team.....who would have ever thought that just 5 months ago?!?!?!?!?  There's no doubt Gase will be HEAVILY involved in the GM hiring.

• Upvote 2

Are there other examples of GMs fired in the months following the Draft but before the following season?

21 minutes ago, Matthew007b said:

Wow... emoji50.png The relationship must of been toxic. Now the coach has to deal with trades and contracts on top of coaching..?

Sent from my G8142 using JetNation.com mobile app

Most of the work for 2019 is done.  If anything, Gase will be tweaking things, looking for some role players and depth from other team's cuts.  I'm not sure we'll see a major trade until the new GM is in place.  JMHO.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Reports of a schism were indeed truth

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There will be a very clear record amongst the media and football analysts as to who was correct in reading the tea leaves here.  I think we'll know who really has/had connections and the good info. on this.  And one of those guys was absolutely @T0mShane !  Who would have thunk that illiterate know-nothing actually had a good hunch as to what was really happening. lol :P 

27 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This is beyond foolish. Fire Mac and hand the keys to the franchise to Adam Gase???

He didn't get the "keys to the franchise".  Did you expect the Jets to say Macc was fired and we hired his replacement 30 seconds later???  That's not how it works.  You terminate, you do a search (even if it's abbreviated and you already have someone lined up), then you hire the new guy.  BUT, in the interim you have to have a name in charge.  You have to put someone in place as the Interim GM simply for the team to function, to sign a contract, to take the call if another GM phones the team.  If the Buccs call and want to offer us a 2nd round pick for Darron Lee we can't have the operator in Florham Park say, "We don't have a GM right now....I'm sending you to voicemail.  The new guy will get back to you....whenever...uhh...we hire him."

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They waited this long to fire Macc, why not wait a few more days and agree to terms with a replacement at the same time? 

Perhaps they already have?  If the new GM is in place within a week then this was a coordinated move.  If C Johnson says we're heading into a thorough search and hiring a consultant then we're all F**ked with a capital F!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

More than that, in between 1 & 2, is they allowed Maccagnan to force-feed a coordinator onto all HC prospects during the hiring search/process.

Also in point 3 he had a typo and misspelled ruin.

So, none of the other HC prospects wanted Gregg Williams?  Now, Gase gets to fire him as GM?

29 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

The issue was not with signing bell . It was what to pay bell . Gase realize we where bidding vs ourselves.

But the Jets ended up paying Bell fairly, at a market rate.  They didn't overpay IMO and they are really only tied to him for the first 2 years.  I think the 2020 or 2021 Draft is where the Jets find a RB replacement in Round 2 or 3.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

Holy f**k!  What a sh!tshow this is. LOL

39 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I want to know what moves specifically over the past free agency and draft class got Mac fired?

The bell signing seems to be huge regarding this. I like the Mosley move. The Trumaine contract Is an albatross. I think missing out on all the edge rushers in free agency was significant as well.

Just heard @RapSheet on NFL Network.  Here's the skinny....

• Gase was fine with the personnel the Jets acquired in FA but he was NOT happy with the prices paid.
  • Jets paying an average of $17M per year for ILB CJ Mosely.  Gase didn't want to spend more than $13M per year.
  • Gase did not want to give Bell a $52M contract.

TYPICALLY, you have a HC clamoring for players and saying, "I don't care what it costs, get me these guys or I can't win!"  That wasn't the case here and may have helped Gase score points with ownership.  If the HC is saying, "save your money, we don't need to overspend, I can win while spending less" then that really puts a dagger in the GM.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex made the playoffs with Mangini's roster. 

And he beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road in consecutive playoff games.

....with Mark Sanchez.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Okay im so f*cking happy but why the f did we fire Heimerdinger 

Because the new guy is going to bring in his own people.  I think the Jets already have someone in mind.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be the DC/son stuff, and at that point they couldn't go on a GM search in March so they just let it go through the draft. 

You don't hire a HC and say here's your force-fed DC, and then the DC says here's another force-fed coach because he's the DC's son. Honestly I think that was the last straw for Gase, and the worst offense. You make a guy the HC he gets to pick his own staff or don't bother hiring him. Just took this long for him to wear down Chris Johnson, who probably hoped things would smooth out for a while at least with the draft over.

I also don't think Gase is as thrilled with the OL as the GM was. Osemele was a fine addition, but the line isn't good overall. They're starting a backup center and next year both tackles are UFAs. The biggest splashes in FA went to the defense even after hiring an offensive-minded HC (not just Mosely, but don't forget the 2nd-biggest splash was to be Barr not Bell, and it's possible there is no Bell if the Barr signing went through). 

You could be right, but I also think that the Jets will never have a better DC than Gregg Williams while Gase is head coach.  Force feeding him Williams was for the betterment of the team.  If Williams quits or is fired in the next year or two, then I guarantee Gase will not bring in the best candidate.  He'll bring in a guy he knows.....which is just as bad as a DC bringing in his son.  Think of a Dowell Loggins for the Defense coming here in 2021.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This would be like a Cleveland story then....When the Browns let both Hue Jackson and Todd Haley go because they couldn't get along.

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eagles' investments in the O-Line since 2016 (Douglas was hired in May '16):

• OT Andre Dillard:  2019 1st round pick
  • Starting LG Isaac Seumalo:  3rd round pick in 2016
  • Starting RG Brandon Brooks:  Signed to a 5-year deal in 2016 (previously a Texan)
  • G/C Stefen Wisneiwski:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2016 (previously a Jaguar), benched in 2018, then brought back in 2019 (presumably on a cheap deal)
  • OT Matt Pryor:  2018 6th rounder
  • OT Jordan Mailata:  2018 7th rounder
  • OT Helapoulivaati Vaitai:  2016 5th rounder
  • G Iosua Opeta:  2019 UDFA acquisition --> was projected 6th/7th rounder and compared to Kelvin Beachum

They did all this despite having LT Jason Peters, C Jason Kelce, and RT Lane Johnson all entrenched as starters since 2013. 

THIS is how you build an O-Line pipeline:  Draft O-Linemen every season, even if you already have plenty of depth there, and supplement with free agent pickups. 

It's also a great way to win a Super Bowl. 

VS. JETS under Macc:

• G James Carpenter:  Signed to 4-year deal in 2015
  • G Willie Colon:  Signed to a 1-year deal in 2015 (started 6 games, then never played again)
  • G Jarvis Harrison:  Drafted in 5th round in 2015 (spent 2015 on PS, then was cut in 2016)
  • OT Ryan Clady:  Received in trade for 5th rounder in 2016, got back a 7th (started 8 games then got hurt and retired)
  • OT Brandon Shell:  Drafted in 5th round in 2016 (29 starts, received a 62.7 grade from PFF last season, # 56-ranked OT)
  • LT Kelvin Beachum:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2017 (86 starts, received a 65.9 grade from PFF last season, # 48-ranked OT)
  • G/C Spencer Long:  Signed to a 4-year deal in 2018 (couldn't snap, released in February 2019)
  • G Kelechi Osemele:  Received in trade for 5th rounder in 2019, got back a 6th
  • OT Chuma Edoga:  Drafted in 3rd round in 2019

The Eagles had 3 entrenched starters on their O-Line prior to 2016, yet have used a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder on O-Linemen, and signed 2 others to significant contracts in that span.

The Jets have had O-Line problems ever since Ferguson's decline and retirement in 2015 and Mangold's decline and retirement in 2016.  But in Macc's tenure, he's only used 3 draft picks (one 3rd, two 5th's) on O-Linemen, and as a result was forced to send draft assets for older veteran band-aids like Clady (who had an awful injury history) and Osemele (probably his best move on the O-line to date) and overpay a guy like Kelvin Beachum to hold the fort at LT (and he'll need to be replaced next season).  And of course his Spencer Long signing was a complete disaster.

hmmm.....Do the Eagles keep whiffing on OLinemen?  Why do they go after as many as the Jets go after DTs and DEs?  8 guys since 2016 while having a great line?  Not sure I'm completely onboard with this thinking but I understand the point.

43 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Nvm you where right he didn’t want bell . Atleast according to manish just said .

According to Ian Rappoport Gase did want Bell, but not for $52M.

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Joe Douglas and Jeremiah has me doing big cums.

Jeremiah has SERIOUS chops.  He's not just a TV guy.  Check his resume.

This would be a KILLER combo!  Sign me up!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sam_S said:

You should all kiss Tony Pauline's a$$...

Ha!  Thanks for stopping in with your second post, Tony!

I'm not sure we'll be better, but we certainly can't be any worse.  We've all seen the Macc pattern for the past few years......a reset was in order.

Here's the biggest positive nobody has mentioned yet.....Macc either didn't choose to or was forced not to trade any 2020 Draft picks.  There were rumors of the Jets trying "aggressively" to move up into Round 2 this year.  That certainly would have required either one or both of our 3rd rounders this year and likely a 2nd round pick next year.  I'm very glad the Jets have their full complement of draft picks for 2020.  That also makes the GM job moderately attractive to a candidate.

One other positive about the timing of all this.  The Jets aren't competing with any other teams in a GM search like they would be in January.  The "Black Monday" openings tend to have a feverish pursuit by up-and-coming candidates.  The Jets will now have a survey of front office personnel from various teams, guys who just wrapped up a busy FA and Draft period, and the best of those guys who are sitting in #2 positions below a GM at their current teams may have the itch to call the shots after just going the Draft process.  The Jets have the only GM opening in town and, even if it's not the best opportunity, the laws of supply and demand still apply.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gase interim GM.

Gase involved picking next GM too (we have to presume)?

We are most certainly "all-in"on googly-eyes now.

100% true.

Like or not, this is Adam Gase's team for the foreseeable future.  The Jets had better get this right or they're going to waste the one good thing that's happened here recently, acquiring Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company