Mac fired!

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Been wondering that as well

Pure gut feeling, but it feels like a Mangini situation again with the Johnsons- and Gase may have misrepresented his personality in interviews etc and the Johsnons fell for it. Owner then panics and fires the GM to save face for the time being.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

He should have been fired after Bowles 3rd year. He was the mook responsible for hiring that dope wasnt he?  Lets not even mention 2 safeties taken when the team had no QB. Mahommes? Watson?

I think the NYJ have finally surpassed the Knicks as the worst run pro sports franchise in NY and possibly even the country.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

This plays into Gase not liking what the Jets paid for free agents. 

If Heimerdinger is as much of an analytics guy as has been reported, it must have made him puke to pay a running back in free agency. That's anathema to the math bros.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, slats said:

This plays into Gase not liking what the Jets paid for free agents. 

Also Heimerdinger coordinating the trades with other teams (including the trade for the move up to #3 for Darnold). Probably didn't care for Macc taking all the credit for it in the papers. 

Whatever, if that's the case they both had to go. Macc for the lousy drafting and draft-asset management, and both him and Heimerdinger for the lousy asset management in terms of the cap. 

Gase will get his guy, as he's the acting GM, and if they fail before turning this team around then they'll both likely get tossed together in a few years. That is, unless one is clearly so much better than the other on paper I suppose. Would be better if they just didn't suck of course. 

Whatever. New day and all. :) GM and HC will have no built-in excuses to be able to blame the other. A hand-picked B, and B accepted it; and they both know each other, like each other, and presumably share philosophies. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I thought the word was that McCarthy either wanted the Jets job, or didn't want to coach at all, and just sit at home while the Packers still pay him.

It was but I like busting @CTM's chops when the opportunity comes.  He does the same to me, only most of the time, he wins those battles.  I hate him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Problem is we weren't the only team with a young FQB and cap space. 

Ugh,  you are likely a little dog herpes nat fluttering around spewing out the host organisms talking points

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If McCarthy wanted the Jets job, but 31 other teams didn't want McCarthy, is that really a good example of someone competent wanting the Jets job?

I'd love to coach the Jets too.  But currently, neither McCarthy nor I are football coaches of any kind. 

And "dear leader" is Gase, not T0mShane.  Keep up. 

31 other teams weren't looking for a new HC

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

31 other teams weren't looking for a new HC 

For sure, but there's always about 5-6, and there's some teams that are willing to fire their current coach to replace him with someone better. 

I suppose we'll see what kinds of jobs come calling for McCarthy next year.  My guess is there won't be many good ones looking for him. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Heimerdinger is as much of an analytics guy as has been reported, it must have made him puke to pay a running back in free agency. That's anathema to the math bros.

Mosley's contract is twice as bad. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So we could listen to the whining about the new GM handicapped by drafting using someone else's scouts? Been there done that.

The time to do it was before the HC hiring process outright. 

Dumb as they look right now, but it'll pass as it did in Buffalo. It is a little bit funny that the HC he hired ended up getting him fired just 4 months later.

Who’s the new GM?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, some.  I was not a Matt Leinart or Solomon Thomas fan.  Nor do I think Idzik was anything but a lousy GM (albeit better than Macc, for sure; but that's a low bar to clear). 

You defend this with as much tenacity as Joe's willy does homosexual claims. Me thinks we've hit a nerve.

Very good.

• Haha 2

I think the Johnsons were always dubious that Mac was going to work out. 

They gave him one last chance.   They were also likely trying to save money, and also knew that better GM candidates would be available after the draft, because many out of loyalty would not want to take a new job in January having already done their scouting.  

Dorsey was also fired after the Draft.

Mac and Heimerdinger, individually or separately, did not prove to anyone that they had figured out how to build a football team.  It has been clear from the posts here and articles recently written that people were gathering up all of Mac’s screw ups in an easily readable place.  

I think if the Johnsons were going to keep the FO around through this year, they should have had Mac/BH on a much tighter leash.   It’s one thing to not overpay for players, but if I am going to overpay for a player I overpay for OL and not DL and ILB.    

It was clear to me that Mac was going to get fired, but I assumed in January after the Jets finished 7-9.  Firing him now, and bringing in capable others, is a good thing.

The piece of news that disturbs me most, if true, is hearing how Gase did not want Williams.  Hopefully they get that figured out.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTM said:

You defend this with as much tenacity as Joe's willy does homosexual claims. Me thinks we've hit a nerve.

Very good.

Joe Willy spends his days posting shirtless men, I used to post pics of nearly shirtless women.  Decent comparison I suppose. 

• Haha 1

This was so ******* obvious.  The level of toxicity is through the roof.  Wonder how this impacts the coaching staff.  Sounds like dudes were forced down Gase's throat.  lmfao.

The only downside is we dont get to see the sideline meltdown that carried into the locker room to jump Mac.