Mac fired!

11 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Well I’m glad he’s gone, yes it looks like classic clown shoes, but I’m going with it.

It was strange in the draft, Gase was no where around at all. He was a little evasive when asked about himself and Macc.

I think Macc pissed Gase off, and signed the Free agents he wanted, and drafted who he wanted.

My take is Gase ran to the Johnson’s and put his cards on the table. “Him or me!”.

How does Gase have to credibility to demand this?  He's done nothing. 

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the initial plan was to have gase and mccagnan work together, something along the way didn't mesh right as was rumored.  or else, mccagnan could easily have been fired with bowles.  the initial plan was for mccagnan to stay.  gase is the new vunderkind/qb whisperer and cj listens to him now.

Well fing duh.  (I'm not saying this to your post but rather to the NY Jets.)  They keep hiring these guys separately and having them report to the owner separately.

Finally they will probably get guys totally on the same page when they hire the next gm but as usual it will be the jets doing it the stupid way and having the coach choosing the gm and not the other way around.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Well fing duh.  (I'm not saying this to your post but rather to the NY Jets.)  They keep hiring these guys separately and having them report to the owner separately.

Finally they will probably get guys totally on the same page when they hire the next gm but as usual it will be the jets doing it the stupid way and having the coach choosing the gm and not the other way around.

it could be that cj really wanted gase but was unsure if he should change the gm and waited until he saw the dynamic.  

if gase wanted mccagnan to stay, he'd still be here.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

A bunch of the tweets keep mentioning that “something went down” between Maccagnan/Heimerdinger and Gase—it would be interesting to hear what exactly

who the heck knows with this crazy organization, such an embarrassment the way they do business

• Upvote 1

WFAN’s Mike Francesa: ‘Alpha male’ Adam Gase took out Mike Maccagnan to ‘conquer’ Jets organization

Updated 2:57 PM; Today 2:36 PM
Mike Francesa says Adam Gase saw he could take out Mike Maccagnan, and the Jets coach did it.

Mike Francesa says Adam Gase saw he could take out Mike Maccagnan, and the Jets coach did it.

0 shares

By James Kratch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Adam Gase sits on the Green Throne.

WFAN’s Mike Francesa took to his “Mike’s On” app Wednesday afternoon to break down the Jets’ stunning decision to fire general Mike Maccagnan, and the big guy says it’s simple: New head coach Adam Gase is an “alpha male” who realized he could take out the “passive” Maccagnan, and now he has done it.

“The day Gase lands in an organization, he’s there to conquer,” Francesa said.

“What I think happened here was Gase saw an opening. He saw that there was an owner he could sway, he saw that there was a general manager who was not on the firmest of footing and who did not have a real tough guy personality, who was not going to fight him.

“When Gase elbowed him in the corner, he wasn’t going to elbow him back. And I think he saw a guy that he thought he could tip over. And he went to work on taking over this organization. He saw an opening, and he ran for it. ... He won the power play clean. It wasn’t even a TKO, it was a knockout.”

false

Acting Jets owner Christopher Johnson axed Maccagnan and lieutenant Brian Heimerdinger just weeks after the organization shot down rumors Maccagnan had clashed with Gase and was on shaky ground. In hindsight, those reports - the ones Gase said he was “pissed off” by - were right. Gase is now the team’s interim general manager, but Johnson said in a statement he will search for a permanent GM.

Francesa did not offer any fire and brimstone on his surprise app appearance, just blunt commentary.

“They embarrassed themselves mightily,” Francesa said of the Jets, adding the team should have fired Maccagnan along with former coach Todd Bowles if they had any doubts about the GM. The Jets have now officially returned to the ranks of the dysfunctional, Francesa said.

Francesa said the Giants - who were becoming the market’s wacky team while the Jets amazingly fell into a (false) sense of normalcy - and the rest of the AFC East are the winners. The losers? Jets fans and quarterback Sam Darnold.

Francesa said he thinks Gase may be a good coach, although he has not shown it. But Gase has shown he’s a fighter, and Francesa predicts he will have a “battle royal” on his hands with mercurial running back Le’Veon Bell, who Maccagnan signed to a big free agent deal. In the wake of Maccagnan’s firing, there have been reports Gase never wanted Bell, or at least never wanted to pay him what he got.

“It will be entirely disruptive for this team going forward," Francesa said, "and the last thing that a young quarterback that is looking to lead this team needs.”

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it could be that cj really wanted gase but was unsure if he should change the gm and waited until he saw the dynamic.  

if gase wanted mccagnan to stay, he'd still be here.

And that front office dynamic stinks.  As I said if you hire these guys separately and have them report separately you'll get this stuff constantly as we have seen with rex and idzik as well.

It's a monumentally stupid way to do business.

• Sympathy 1

Because what I care most about is Sam, it gives me some comfort that Sam, Gase and Joe Douglas all share the same agent Jimmy Sexton. 

What I don’t understand, how can you let Mac make ANY draft picks and spend all that FA $$ knowing that they were making this move which they HAD to know. 

Just now, HighPitch said:

Just rejoice that he is gone....

You guys..... its like you complain about Hitler taking over europe and when you find out he shot himself in the bunker your upset because blondie had fleas

Why can we (as in the Jets) not do things the right way though, why do we constantly have to be thankful that the people in charge are doing half a job?

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

WFAN’s Mike Francesa: ‘Alpha male’ Adam Gase took out Mike Maccagnan to ‘conquer’ Jets organization

Updated 2:57 PM; Today 2:36 PM

0 shares

By James Kratch | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Adam Gase sits on the Green Throne.

WFAN’s Mike Francesa took to his “Mike’s On” app Wednesday afternoon to break down the Jets’ stunning decision to fire general Mike Maccagnan, and the big guy says it’s simple: New head coach Adam Gase is an “alpha male” who realized he could take out the “passive” Maccagnan, and now he has done it.

“The day Gase lands in an organization, he’s there to conquer,” Francesa said.

“What I think happened here was Gase saw an opening. He saw that there was an owner he could sway, he saw that there was a general manager who was not on the firmest of footing and who did not have a real tough guy personality, who was not going to fight him.

“When Gase elbowed him in the corner, he wasn’t going to elbow him back. And I think he saw a guy that he thought he could tip over. And he went to work on taking over this organization. He saw an opening, and he ran for it. ... He won the power play clean. It wasn’t even a TKO, it was a knockout.”

false

Acting Jets owner Christopher Johnson axed Maccagnan and lieutenant Brian Heimerdinger just weeks after the organization shot down rumors Maccagnan had clashed with Gase and was on shaky ground. In hindsight, those reports - the ones Gase said he was “pissed off” by - were right. Gase is now the team’s interim general manager, but Johnson said in a statement he will search for a permanent GM.

Francesa did not offer any fire and brimstone on his surprise app appearance, just blunt commentary.

“They embarrassed themselves mightily,” Francesa said of the Jets, adding the team should have fired Maccagnan along with former coach Todd Bowles if they had any doubts about the GM. The Jets have now officially returned to the ranks of the dysfunctional, Francesa said.

Francesa said the Giants - who were becoming the market’s wacky team while the Jets amazingly fell into a (false) sense of normalcy - and the rest of the AFC East are the winners. The losers? Jets fans and quarterback Sam Darnold.

Francesa said he thinks Gase may be a good coach, although he has not shown it. But Gase has shown he’s a fighter, and Francesa predicts he will have a “battle royal” on his hands with mercurial running back Le’Veon Bell, who Maccagnan signed to a big free agent deal. In the wake of Maccagnan’s firing, there have been reports Gase never wanted Bell, or at least never wanted to pay him what he got.

“It will be entirely disruptive for this team going forward," Francesa said, "and the last thing that a young quarterback that is looking to lead this team needs.”

I wonder who is leaking the info?

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

What are you going to do, fire your brand new HC?

A now obvious power struggle had gone on and Gase Won. 

Will the owners learn a thing from this?  Nope.

Just like they learned nothing from rex/idzik.

This org is 100% set up for power struggles the way they set things up.

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

not embarassing. it has been done before

Yes, GM's have been fired after the draft, but I don't recall a situation where a HC was fired, GM was retained, who was brought in with original HC, new HC is hired with assistance of GM, and then a few months later GM was fired..... Maybe it has, but I don't recall it. I have no problem with the firing of Mac, should have been gone 2 years ago, and again this past end of season, the timing of this is insane.

Screw Mehta and Francesa. It's easy to slap the dysfunctional label on the Jets organization, but if they make a quick hire of Douglas and/or Jeremiah, I'll at least be satisfied that a plan was in place. 

If the job sits open for a couple weeks or more, that's another story. 

• Upvote 3

This isn't just about timing.  The whole story is insane.  The entire organization is dysfunctional and in a constant state of chaos.  Does anyone really believe we are on the right track?  Does anyone have faith that Chris Johnson will pick a competent GM off of Emperor Gase's list of acceptable names?

One thing is for sure.  Gase's honeymoon period is over.  He will get crucified the first time they lose a game at MetLife.  And if I were Chris Johnson I would not put my face on the scoreboards at MetLife.  It won't be pretty.  And for good reason.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

What can I say? Its about friggin time. This coffee swilling not so bright look on his face douchebag was let go. I wish they did it when Bowles was let go but it is what it is. Now lets see who is brought in and what happens next.

We already know what's going to happen next.  We're Jets fans.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Heimerdinger? How did he get caught up in this? 

Mac obviously needed to go but not like this. And certainly not now! This power play be Gase is very concerning. He has no record of achievement to warrant this kind of power. 

So dysfunctional, always! They should have Fired Bowles and Mac together. Now a new GM is going to be saddled with a coach he didn’t choose? Gase’s stint as  GM is said to be temporary. Let’s hope 

youd think this guy had won multiple Super Bowls. Or one. Or went to the AFC championship. Or won the division. Or had a winning record 

2 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Heimerdinger? How did he get caught up in this? 

Mac obviously needed to go but not like this. And certainly not now! This power play be Gase is very concerning. He has no record of achievement to warrant this kind of power. 

So dysfunctional, always! They should have Fired Bowles and Mac together. Now a new GM is going to be saddled with a coach he didn’t choose? Gase’s stint as  GM is said to be temporary. Let’s hope 

youd think this guy had won multiple Super Bowls. Or one. Or went to the AFC championship. Or Ron the division. It had a winning record 

Part of "Big Plan".

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And that front office dynamic stinks.  As I said if you hire these guys separately and have them report separately you'll get this stuff constantly as we have seen with rex and idzik as well.

It's a monumentally stupid way to do business.

for sure

38 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Because what I care most about is Sam, it gives me some comfort that Sam, Gase and Joe Douglas all share the same agent Jimmy Sexton. 

What I don’t understand, how can you let Mac make ANY draft picks and spend all that FA $$ knowing that they were making this move which they HAD to know. 

This decision reeks of spur-of-the-moment-extemporaneous-knee-jerkedness.  

• Haha 1