Mac fired!

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

That's sexual harassment and he doesn't have to take it.

Have no knowledge,pure speculation:  because this was so rash wonder if there weren't some other kind of workplace considerations for this to happen so suddenly. The Johnsons are scared to death of any negative PR. 

4 hours ago, rammagen said:

if they wanted him they should have hired him them screw the eagles as they have the right to deny interview. So the timing doe snot make sense

They have no right to deny the interview.  This is wrong

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

What are you going to do, fire your brand new HC?

A now obvious power struggle had gone on and Gase Won. 

Meh, maybe. Gase didn't have that kind of leverage. After getting canned by the Dolphins, if he then quit 3-4 months after getting hired by the Jets, it'd be the last HC gig he got for a long, long time. 

I have serious doubts Gase marched into CJ's office with a de facto "right now, either he goes or I go" demand and won. Gase couldn't find another HC job for another decade or two; the Jets meanwhile could certainly hire another HC in a day or two. Maybe McCarthy, maybe promote Williams until he flops on the job, maybe they make a pitch to someone else who'll get hired next year. 

I agree that he's won in terms of the result, but with both Macc and Heimerdinger getting fired, that story so far could hold water. Too early to tell. 

HOLY CRAP!!! I just found out and heard about this tremendous and beautiful new, I have to read up on posts here to see what the hell happened but I just want to say THANK YOU LORD JESUS, THANK YOU OWNERS WOODY AND CHRIS, not sure which one made the call but THIS IS AWESOME!

I thougth all the talk about Macc being gone was just wishful thinking!!! MAN THIS IS GREAT!! Macc had a good 1 off season , he deserved to get canned no doubt about it!

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They have no right to deny the interview.  This is wrong

You sure? I don't know how this works. I know after their season has ended then teams can't deny (unless it's a lateral move and he's under contract the following year), and during the season they're employees of other teams whose plans for the upcoming season may now be ruined. But after the new league season officially starts, yet before the regular season begins, it's curious.

Why should another team lose their own guy in May just because the Jets felt like firing their GM at this time? Between final elimination and the start of the next season? Fine; promote/extend your guy or risk losing him. But once the new league year has started in March? Those teams could argue they'd have gone another way. 

For example, what if we fired Macc right before the 2018 draft, and hired the 2nd in command at a draft competitor with the same needs right ahead of or around us, so we'd know their board and know if we had to leapfrog them to get our man; or if it was a team behind us, we'd get to know what they were willing to give up in trade so we could beat that preemptively; whichever, it would give us an underhanded advantage in that regard. My guess is we'd need permission to even interview him, let alone hire him, since the new season was underway. 

Is it different now that the draft is over? I honestly don't know; my gut tells me we need permission to interview guys who are under contract with other teams, but it's for a promotion so they might not need it.

• Upvote 1

Good article by Judy Batista:

Sometimes the sound of the calliope fades in Florham Park and is distant enough that it is possible to believe the circus has finally left town for the New York Jets.

It was easy to think that this time, as the voices of playoff prognostication slowly replaced the howls of despair for fans of Gang Green. A young, promising quarterback was in the fold. More than $200 million had been spent in free agency, on a premier running back, an outstanding linebacker, an ideal slot receiver. The 2019 NFL Draft had netted what may have been the best player in the draft -- Quinnen Williams. The tear-down that Mike Maccagnan was hired to engineer was complete, and the rebuild was well underway. That was hope you spotted on the horizon.

But for some teams, dysfunction is like a magnet that never stops providing a force field. And on Wednesday, the Jets smashed into it like, say, a quarterback crashing into his offensive lineman's butt.

Cleaning house is a rite of the NFL offseason. But firing the general manager after he oversaw the hiring of a new head coach, spent a fortune in free agency and ran the draft, as the Jets did in axing Maccagnan, suggests that -- well -- Bill Belichick had the right idea when he surveyed the landscape nearly 20 years ago, scribbled his resignation as head coach of the New York Jets and got the hell out of town.

This is an entirely different franchise from that one, of course, even down to the owner -- Woody Johnson is an ambassador in Great Britain now. But as much as the Jets bristle at the moniker so often attached to their franchise -- "Same Old Jets" -- it is inescapable when they repeatedly stumble down the same path to disarray.

It was Woody's brother Christopher who on Wednesday suddenly handed the keys to the kingdom to coach Adam Gase -- on the job for all of four months before he was allowed to burn down the building and, at least temporarily, assume as much power as Belichick has in New England. Gase's career head-coaching record: 23-25.

Rumors of a rift between Gase and Maccagnan have been circulating for a few months now, which is why it's fair to resurrect the question first raised when the Jets fired Todd Bowles at the end of the 2018 season: Why go halfway? Bowles and Maccagnan were hired together four years ago, and whatever successes (one, a winning record in 2011) and failures (a lot, including three straight losing seasons) they had, they had together. The roster was bad, the coaching no better. If they deserved to finish the rebuild, they deserved it together. If they didn't, they should have been shown the door simultaneously.

The problem with Maccagnan's firing is not that it happened. It is that it happened now, after all of the most significant offseason personnel moves have already been made, and what it says about the team's big-picture leadership.

The trade to move into position to draft Darnold saved Maccagnan for a few extra months, but it likely set the Jets back even further. After all, a general manager trying to save his job and a head coach just starting a new one have entirely different priorities.

If Gase disagreed with how Maccagnan was allocating the money -- particularly for running back Le'Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley, as NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported -- you have to ask how a difference in priorities and vision that significant was not explored during the coaching interview process. How did ownership make the critical decision to hire Gase without knowing that Maccagnan and Gase were not fully in alignment on how they would approach one of the most important offseasons in the franchise's recent history?

Bad teams stay bad for a number of reasons. This is one of them. The Jets have now given two consecutive general managers a mandate to tear down a roster and rebuild it, but given neither of them the chance to complete the job.

John Idzik and Maccagnan made more than enough missteps to justify their firings. But bad teams don't get better by constantly shifting directions and shaking up priorities. It makes laughable the idea that the Jets may be gaining ground on the New England Patriots.

Ultimately, if the dysfunction was so great in the Jets' headquarters, it is better to make a move now rather than waiting through another season. And maybe the next personnel executive to arrive -- he will surely be Gase's choice -- will be the one to finally settle the Jets down.

But we say that every few years around here, and nothing much changes. The Jets are about to hire their sixth general manager after already hiring their sixth head coach since Belichick fled north. This palace coup has revived a familiar tune, and the big top has been pitched. It's up to the Jets to convince us that the clowns are not already here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Think about it from everyone's perspective, assuming that the observations of this Board are probably pretty accurate.  

CJ said that they team was going to support Sam.  Gase probably told Mac to build an OL, and not overpay Bell.  

Mac missed on the FA Centers (who were not that overpaid, if at all), drafted another DT and gave big money to an ILB and DE, in addition to Bell.  

His draft picks were questionable.  

Gase probably made the case that Mac was not supporting his agenda.  

Or that MAC was simply sh**ing the bed again and clearly can’t help himself.  

Couple of points now having time to digest this.

Timing: Glad he is gone, would have been tough to draft with a new GM working with previous scouts.  that being said, could it have been worse than macc's draft? Was there offers of trading down that Dinger wanted and Macc turned down?  Were there players that Macc said, fvck everyone Im the GM and this is who we are drafting?  That would hurt some feelings and have people questioning why there are there at all. FA signings could have been better or maybe worse with agents knowing the new GM needed to make a name for himself by signing some big names.

No front office.  The Jets have literally no front office right now by letting both go.  That is unsettling at best.  saving grace is that we have our guy and just have to go through protocol(ie interviewing a minority) before it is announced.  I am hoping this is the case. no way gase can handle implementation of a new system while doing waiver wire evaluation and claims and monitoring other teams rosters and negotiates contracts.  We have one of our picks from this years draft signed? this points to us already having out guy, i hope.

Personnel: I think Gase was super pissed about the players that were acquired vs what he felt he needed for the team.  as others have mentioned, very little attention paid to the OL and it wouldn't be a hard sell to ownership that should be #1 with Darnold. If you lose 35-40, that is okay since it is building our franchise QB.

DC: man, this hurts me... I was so happy to have Williams.  Like a DC HC on that side of the ball with an attitude I think is necessary for a DC.  Now, Emperor Gase may pull some of that free reign he had on that side of the ball back.  Hope he stays out of gregs way and lets him do his thing with all the new toys he has.  Now I am worried that Williams wont survive past this season...

Lastly, I do think Gase had something to do with this and my hunch is that it isn't a power grab. It was him letting golden spoon boy that this is not how a professional sports team is run.  Convinced him that this would be a lost season if he stayed the status quo for another season.

my $0.02

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You sure? I don't know how this works. I know after their season has ended then teams can't deny (unless it's a lateral move and he's under contract the following year), and during the season they're employees of other teams whose plans for the upcoming season may now be ruined. But after the new league season officially starts, yet before the regular season begins, it's curious.

Why should another team lose their own guy in May just because the Jets felt like firing their GM at this time? Between final elimination and the start of the next season? Fine; promote/extend your guy or risk losing him. But once the new league year has started in March? Those teams could argue they'd have gone another way. 

For example, what if we fired Macc right before the 2018 draft, and hired the 2nd in command at a draft competitor with the same needs right ahead of or around us, so we'd know their board and know if we had to leapfrog them to get our man; or if it was a team behind us, we'd get to know what they were willing to give up in trade so we could beat that preemptively; whichever, it would give us an underhanded advantage in that regard. My guess is we'd need permission to even interview him, let alone hire him, since the new season was underway. 

Is it different now that the draft is over? I honestly don't know; my gut tells me we need permission to interview guys who are under contract with other teams, but it's for a promotion so they might not need it.

100% sure, as long as simple criteria are met.  Cant stop him from interviewing, only were able to stop Houston because they were playing in the playoffs.  Dont know which year of his deal hes in, last year makes him free no matter and if not he has to have say in personnel decisions.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-prevent-texans-interviewing-rising-front-office-star

Kind of goofy the way its worded but as Florio writes:

For employees in the final year of their contracts, permission can't be denied -- but under certain circumstances a departure can be delayed.  For employees not in the final year of their contracts, the current team can block an interview for a position that doesn't entail "(1) the authority over all personnel decisions related to the signing of free agents, the selection of players in the College Draft, trades, terminations, and related decisions, and (2) the responsibility for coordinating other football activities with the Head Coach.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good article by Judy Batista:

Sometimes the sound of the calliope fades in Florham Park and is distant enough that it is possible to believe the circus has finally left town for the New York Jets.

It was easy to think that this time, as the voices of playoff prognostication slowly replaced the howls of despair for fans of Gang Green. A young, promising quarterback was in the fold. More than $200 million had been spent in free agency, on a premier running back, an outstanding linebacker, an ideal slot receiver. The 2019 NFL Draft had netted what may have been the best player in the draft -- Quinnen Williams. The tear-down that Mike Maccagnan was hired to engineer was complete, and the rebuild was well underway. That was hope you spotted on the horizon.

But for some teams, dysfunction is like a magnet that never stops providing a force field. And on Wednesday, the Jets smashed into it like, say, a quarterback crashing into his offensive lineman's butt.

Cleaning house is a rite of the NFL offseason. But firing the general manager after he oversaw the hiring of a new head coach, spent a fortune in free agency and ran the draft, as the Jets did in axing Maccagnan, suggests that -- well -- Bill Belichick had the right idea when he surveyed the landscape nearly 20 years ago, scribbled his resignation as head coach of the New York Jets and got the hell out of town.

This is an entirely different franchise from that one, of course, even down to the owner -- Woody Johnson is an ambassador in Great Britain now. But as much as the Jets bristle at the moniker so often attached to their franchise -- "Same Old Jets" -- it is inescapable when they repeatedly stumble down the same path to disarray.

It was Woody's brother Christopher who on Wednesday suddenly handed the keys to the kingdom to coach Adam Gase -- on the job for all of four months before he was allowed to burn down the building and, at least temporarily, assume as much power as Belichick has in New England. Gase's career head-coaching record: 23-25.

Rumors of a rift between Gase and Maccagnan have been circulating for a few months now, which is why it's fair to resurrect the question first raised when the Jets fired Todd Bowles at the end of the 2018 season: Why go halfway? Bowles and Maccagnan were hired together four years ago, and whatever successes (one, a winning record in 2011) and failures (a lot, including three straight losing seasons) they had, they had together. The roster was bad, the coaching no better. If they deserved to finish the rebuild, they deserved it together. If they didn't, they should have been shown the door simultaneously.

The problem with Maccagnan's firing is not that it happened. It is that it happened now, after all of the most significant offseason personnel moves have already been made, and what it says about the team's big-picture leadership.

The trade to move into position to draft Darnold saved Maccagnan for a few extra months, but it likely set the Jets back even further. After all, a general manager trying to save his job and a head coach just starting a new one have entirely different priorities.

If Gase disagreed with how Maccagnan was allocating the money -- particularly for running back Le'Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley, as NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported -- you have to ask how a difference in priorities and vision that significant was not explored during the coaching interview process. How did ownership make the critical decision to hire Gase without knowing that Maccagnan and Gase were not fully in alignment on how they would approach one of the most important offseasons in the franchise's recent history?

Bad teams stay bad for a number of reasons. This is one of them. The Jets have now given two consecutive general managers a mandate to tear down a roster and rebuild it, but given neither of them the chance to complete the job.

John Idzik and Maccagnan made more than enough missteps to justify their firings. But bad teams don't get better by constantly shifting directions and shaking up priorities. It makes laughable the idea that the Jets may be gaining ground on the New England Patriots.

Ultimately, if the dysfunction was so great in the Jets' headquarters, it is better to make a move now rather than waiting through another season. And maybe the next personnel executive to arrive -- he will surely be Gase's choice -- will be the one to finally settle the Jets down.

But we say that every few years around here, and nothing much changes. The Jets are about to hire their sixth general manager after already hiring their sixth head coach since Belichick fled north. This palace coup has revived a familiar tune, and the big top has been pitched. It's up to the Jets to convince us that the clowns are not already here.

Good article.  The reality is with Emperor Gase now in charge we can expect leaks coming out of Florham Park reminiscent of The Clown Shows of a few years ago.  One thing that can be said of this franchise over the last four years is that the Clown Show stopped.  No leaks, no rumors.  Until the Emperor arrived.  That's Gase's way.  

The Emperor has already leaked that he didn't want Bell and Mosely.  That sets the Emperor up for excuses for losing by not having his players.  It won't be long for leaks to reveal how bad Greg Williams is.  I think Williams will not be with this team come opening day.  

I never thought I would actually agree with Steve! Serby!!! AND Francesa on the very same day.  But they're both right.  Chris Johnson is a terrible owner and this team is just a joke.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Bottom line, Maccagnan paid $165 million dollars to an ILBer, RB and slot receiver this year.  Decent players, but stupid money for those positions.  

Here's something worse. He spent over $175 million the past 2 years on 2 CB's and 2 MLB's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only time an interview request can be denied on a non lateral move is during the actual season.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Batista is great, but she answered her own question within the article itself—you end up firing unqualified people like Maccagnan and Idzik because you were in a position of having to hire unqualified people in the first place. The team hasn’t changed since Belichick write his little note: it’s just confirmed that Parcells and Belichick were right to flee the ship. 

Right move at the wrong time. 

It comes down to ownership being completely clueless about how to run a football franchise. If you're going to persist with this approach of having the head coach and GM report separately to ownership, then fire both of them at the same time so you avoid a situation where the GM and head coach are at each other's throats five months down the track. Some times the more traditional approach is the better approach. Find the GM and then let him pick his head coach.

Now, after the draft, sends a message to everyone signed and drafted during the off-season that perhaps you weren't the droids the franchise was looking for and it was a goof to sign and draft them. Great way to set up the season, especially if the head coach is leaking to the press that he was against the signing of a couple of the big free agents netted during the off-season.

Everyone should have been collectively happy that we aren't the Giants, wasting a top 10 pick on a QB who is the second incarnation of Christian Hackenberg. Now we're the butt of jokes again because the ownership is completely clueless.

I'm happy to see Maccagnan gone, but either he should have been fired in January with Bowles or retained until the end of the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Right move at the wrong time. 

It comes down to ownership being completely clueless about how to run a football franchise. If you're going to persist with this approach of having the head coach and GM report separately to ownership, then fire both of them at the same time so you avoid a situation where the GM and head coach are at each other's throats five months down the track. Some times the more traditional approach is the better approach. Find the GM and then let him pick his head coach.

Now, after the draft, sends a message to everyone signed and drafted during the off-season that perhaps you weren't the droids the franchise was looking for and it was a goof to sign and draft them. Great way to set up the season, especially if the head coach is leaking to the press that he was against the signing of a couple of the big free agents netted during the off-season.

Everyone should have been collectively happy that we aren't the Giants, wasting a top 10 pick on a QB who is the second incarnation of Christian Hackenberg. Now we're the butt of jokes again because the ownership is completely clueless.

I'm happy to see Maccagnan gone, but either he should have been fired in January with Bowles or retained until the end of the season.

The end of the season for the FO and scouts is May, not January. That's what people are failing to realize.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just heard @RapSheet on NFL Network.  Here's the skinny....

• Gase was fine with the personnel the Jets acquired in FA but he was NOT happy with the prices paid.
  • Jets paying an average of $17M per year for ILB CJ Mosely.  Gase didn't want to spend more than $13M per year.
  • Gase did not want to give Bell a $52M contract.

TYPICALLY, you have a HC clamoring for players and saying, "I don't care what it costs, get me these guys or I can't win!"  That wasn't the case here and may have helped Gase score points with ownership.  If the HC is saying, "save your money, we don't need to overspend, I can win while spending less" then that really puts a dagger in the GM.

That’s just ridiculous. Bell’s contract is an absolute steal.  And Mosley is a beast. Yea they overspent on him but so what it’s not Gase’s money. What does he care. Those ‘reasons’ are a total smoke screen.  The Jets organization should just be transparent instead of trying to color this. The truth is out there. 

213FDF4D-74DB-4424-B61B-FD031D012E32.gif

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The end of the season for the FO and scouts is May, not January. That's what people are failing to realize.

The timing is only an issue because its out of the ordinary and something the media can focus on instead of doing any actual writing.  The team has 2+ months until training camp, didnt make some wild 1st round pick that potential candidates could hate.  If Gase has someone in mind great.  This is a more desirable job today then its been the last 2 times we hired a GM.

Lets hope the lure of Sam along with a defense that has a solid young core is enough to pry away a young, talented person for the job.

• Upvote 1

Let me get this right the Jets eschew getting a Mike Shannahan as president despite him wanting the job!!

You allow the GM to pick players, hire a HC and then fire the GM!!!

And allow the guy who has proven nothing to run your organization!!!

This is UTTER MADNESS!!!

I hated the Gase HIRE....... HATED IT and this is why!!

He is not Bellichick so fans have to stop the idea like Gase is some kind of idiot rain man...

Organizations win championships not nut jobs...

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Let me get this right the Jets eschew getting a Mike Shannahan as president despite him wanting the job!!

You allow the GM to pick players, hire a HC and then fire the GM!!!

And allow the guy who has proven nothing to run your organization!!!

This is UTTER MADNESS!!!

I hated the Gase HIRE....... HATED IT and this is why!!

He is not Bellichick so fans have to stop the idea like Gase is some kind of idiot rain man...

Organizations win championships not nut jobs...

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has Mike Shanahan done in the last 10 years to warrant that title? 

21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If you're going to fire a GM, why let him go to free agency and the draft?

The Jets fired Tannenbaum at the end of December 2012 and hired Idzik on 24 January 2013. Idzik was then fired on 29 December 2014 and Maccagnan was hired on 13 January 2015.

So, going by your logic, the previous two times the Jets fired the GM, we did it four months before the end of the season for the front office.

I'm not doubting you, but I don't see the logic of firing Maccagnan a few weeks after the draft ended just yet.

Interesting tid bit from Charlie Casserly on NFL Total Access earlier today. He was obviously defending Macc and he said if you're Gase "how are you going to tell Johnathan Harrison that you didn't want him bc that's where you wanted Mike Paradis".

That's interesting bc all along and even today the reports were that Gase is the one who didn't want Paradis. So Casserly is confirming Gase wanted to bring in Paradis and Macc didn't. It's probably why Gase didn't think spending $17 million on a MLB was smart, especially when you won't spend the $10 million it would have taken to get Paradis to come here. Macc is a joke

• Upvote 1

Its been said before and I will say it again. If you have idiots as owners then the entire organization has no real chance for success. The dysfunction is a deadly virus and it starts at the top. Look at the morons who run the Jets, Mets, and Knicks. They have 1 championship between them in the last 45 years. Nuff said. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Its been said before and I will say it again. If you have idiots as owners then the entire organization has no real chance for success. The dysfunction is a deadly virus and it starts at the top. Look at the morons who run the Jets, Mets, and Knicks. They have 1 championship between them in the last 45 years. Nuff said. 

Yep. Hate Macc but also think the way/timing of his firing was asinine.