Mac fired!

21 minutes ago, Matthew007b said:

Wow... emoji50.png The relationship must of been toxic. Now the coach has to deal with trades and contracts on top of coaching..?

Sent from my G8142 using JetNation.com mobile app

Most of the work for 2019 is done.  If anything, Gase will be tweaking things, looking for some role players and depth from other team's cuts.  I'm not sure we'll see a major trade until the new GM is in place.  JMHO.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If a contending team loses a rb, i could see bell being traded by midseason.

Jets are not eating a 25 million dead cap hit . U can stop the madness now .. bell will be here for 2 years atleast before we have a out . 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You never disappoint. 

Today is awesome.

I mean at the end of the day your side won but doesn't change my position at all.. macc was fine and just had a good stretch..  hopefully the real story comes out.

• Thumb Down 3

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My only major concern is the message this sends to current and recent Draft picks and Free Agents acquired by the Jets.  Do all of these look at themselves and say, "They just fired the guy for picking me in the Draft?"  

Agreed, I don’t like the impact this may have on draftees and signees. 

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Jets are idiots and let me explain why.

if you were going to fire Maccagnan, it should of been done before you went searching for a HC. Now you have to match a GM with the HC. It’s not a professional process. Lol you are going to have to OKAY it with Gase when you hire one and you’ll have to OKAY it with the new GM that Gase is his guy. 

Now what happens when discord sets in? 

Who goes? Who stays?

they permanently F-d that situation up bc now Gase isn’t linked to the GM like Bowles wasn’t linked to Maccagnan. 

You don't make this move unless you are planning to hire a GM approved by Gase. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

All the major roster construction is done for 2019.  There will be some decisions about signing guys cut from other teams during Camps and possibly some longterm extensions, but FA, the Draft, tender offers, franchise tag decisions, etc. are over for 2019.  IMO, this is as good a time as any to make a GM change.  The new guy gets to evaluate and watch the 2019 season unfold, then determines where changes need to be made.

My only major concern is the message this sends to current and recent Draft picks and Free Agents acquired by the Jets.  Do all of these look at themselves and say, "They just fired the guy for picking me in the Draft?"  In the next few weeks/months we'll be at the point where there is a new GM and NONE of these guys are "his guys."  That could be good, but it could also mean guys like Wesco, Cashman, etc. don't really get a shot.

That's a good point I suppose... It sort of gives the new GM as 'pass' year in which he can evaluate and get to know the players and organization before having to really dive into reconstructing things... Depending on who the new guy is it gives him a whole year to scout and evaluate before he has to go into his first off-season. 

But it still feels disjointed right now... Maybe as more statements and reports come out this will make more sense? Eh...? 

Between Utd and the Jets my teams are a f*cking shambles. 

I hated Mac but ffs the time to fire him was before the off-season or after next. Not exactly a ringing endorsement to our FA recruitment and draft class going forward. 

I don't even know where this leaves Gase, whether it puts more pressure on him to perform immediately or less. How much of an input has he had?

• Sympathy 1

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We all know the arguments for and against Macc.  IMO, he was mediocre.  Not as bad as some argue but he certainly wasn't a very good GM.

If we listed his Top 5 accomplishments against his Top 5 failures I think we'd simply see that it was the magnitude of the failures that outweigh the positives.  His successful draft picks are almost exclusively isolated to the 1st round with a couple exceptions.  He has executed some pretty poor FA deals like Crowell, T. Johnson (so far), and he overpaid Revis.  I think his best moves were in the trade arena....Brandon Marshall, Henry Anderson, Kelechi Osemele all look to have been very good trades for 5th, 6th, 7th round type picks.  All starters.  The trade up for Darnold was quite astute but required a little luck (thank you Cleveland and the Giants).

The future is now.  This is clearly Adam Gase's team.....who would have ever thought that just 5 months ago?!?!?!?!?  There's no doubt Gase will be HEAVILY involved in the GM hiring.

No, he was that bad.

Problem is listing top 5 accomplishments vs top 5 failures is an unfairly-favorable premise. He's got 5 accomplishments weighed against a multiple of that in failures, including the outright wasting of multiple seasons with his shortsightedness.

This was well deserved. Only issue is it's years later than it should have been.

• Upvote 2

We have said that Macs drafts have been historically poor the exception of perhaps last year and hopefully this year.   I have no problem with him being fired, now they can bring a GM who is on the same page as the HC.   

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you have to wonder how long this plan was in effect and to what extent gase had influence in FA given that he probably knew his guy was going to come in after the draft.

no team releases its personnel guys before the draft.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Philly drafts (and this may or may not represent Douglas) are ok.They are some good and bad (line everyone else). Not afraid to take risks.

The manage the cap very, very effectively. They play the compensation game extremely smartly.

That is a quick thumbnail.

And more of an emphasis on OL, it seems.

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

eh, I dislike Mac as much as anyone but this is some differently abled sh*t if I've ever seen it and does not look good for ownership imo 

Ownership was never going to look good coming out of this, even if they'd fired him back in January.  We have 2 of the worst owners in sports.

But Macc needed to go by whatever means necessary.  Hiring a guy Gase is comfortable with is far better than letting the owners hand-pick the GM and start the process all over again.  Gase can't be any worse than the Johnson's at running this ship. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Philly drafts (and this may or may not represent Douglas) are ok.They are some good and bad (line everyone else). Not afraid to take risks.

The manage the cap very, very effectively. They play the compensation game extremely smartly.

That is a quick thumbnail.

They do a lot with anaytics, too, IIRC, which is long overdue here.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Are there other examples of GMs fired in the months following the Draft but before the following season?

Not good ones. You don't have to look far though..the Bills did it two years ago. Hired the coach, fired the GM then hired a new GM who the coach knew and could work with..although they didn't let their outgoing GM run the draft and sign a bunch of FAs

25 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Reports of a schism were indeed truth

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There will be a very clear record amongst the media and football analysts as to who was correct in reading the tea leaves here.  I think we'll know who really has/had connections and the good info. on this.  And one of those guys was absolutely @T0mShane !  Who would have thunk that illiterate know-nothing actually had a good hunch as to what was really happening. lol :P 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Know what, take the win instead of complaining about not winning by enough.

Yes it clearly should have been done earlier. He and Bowles should have been shown the door on the day they both received their extensions. I'll take a belated win, even if they do look stupid in doing it. Alternative was eking out a couple of preseason-unexpected wins, against teams with major injuries/issues that were unexpected in August, and Macc taking credit for doing a good job a la 2015. 

Again, good news. However, we will know how a situation where GM and HC still report to owner, but this time the HC has approival over the GM. It's a recipe for trouble. I like Gase but we just handed organization to the guy for better or worse.

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Big assumptions there. It’s pretty dam obvious that Macc didn’t pick Gase.

Don't really get this. Grant that the Jets' organizationsl structure chart is basically a bowl of spaghetti. While Maccagnan may have been in the room,  he did not pick Gase. And watching your franchise QB run for his life  all last seasonto then see your GM spend draft picks on specials guys and a corner with 2 bad knees and only one OL guy was INFURIATING. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

or maybe there was something to trades that didn't happen in the draft?

and free agent after free agents who weren't signed and just laughed at the idea of ever going to the Jets what with the failure of the ownership and front office. That guy's horrific drafting has set this team back 3-5 years

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

Holy S*&% if true

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

I mean..  has a GM ever been fired right after FA and the draft? 

When did Gase become Belichick?  

Oh well..  thanks for some of the great moves Macc Man!

Hopefully Gase doesn't f this up.

Bills did it a couple of years ago.  Fired Rex at the end of 2016 season and then fired Dooug Whaley as GM after the 2017 draft.  Worked out okay for them. They made the playoffs in 2017 ending an 18 year drought. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

They could’ve did it before the ****ing draft 

So we could listen to the whining about the new GM handicapped by drafting using someone else's scouts? Been there done that.

The time to do it was before the HC hiring process outright. 

Dumb as they look right now, but it'll pass as it did in Buffalo. It is a little bit funny that the HC he hired ended up getting him fired just 4 months later.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

lolololololololol

Glad you're happy but it appears Gase has been annointed overlord of all things Jets..  that doesn't sound so good to me..  coach is one thing..  supreme overlord is another..  especially when he just got done saying he doesn't want a yes man..  now looks like hes going to get one..  whole thing is kind of disgusting 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This is beyond foolish. Fire Mac and hand the keys to the franchise to Adam Gase???

He didn't get the "keys to the franchise".  Did you expect the Jets to say Macc was fired and we hired his replacement 30 seconds later???  That's not how it works.  You terminate, you do a search (even if it's abbreviated and you already have someone lined up), then you hire the new guy.  BUT, in the interim you have to have a name in charge.  You have to put someone in place as the Interim GM simply for the team to function, to sign a contract, to take the call if another GM phones the team.  If the Buccs call and want to offer us a 2nd round pick for Darron Lee we can't have the operator in Florham Park say, "We don't have a GM right now....I'm sending you to voicemail.  The new guy will get back to you....whenever...uhh...we hire him."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, DMan77 said:

I'm okay with the firing, it's just the timing and seeming lack of any kind of a plan that's making me cringe so much right now.

I want to think they were waiting for something else to fall into place or line up and that's what took them so long here... But? Why would I think that?

Chris Johnson probably decided to fire Mac at the same time as Bowles but for one or more reasons felt like the timing was wrong. Given all the teams in the mix for head coaches this offseason Johnson may have made the decision searching for a GM first would delay landing a good coach. 

I guess it is good the team went into the draft and FA with a GM and a scouting department with some kind of plan but now Johnson has to find a GM willing to accept having no control over the head coach. That may severely limit opportunities to find a good candidate.

• Haha 1