Mac fired!

This is such a cluster eff on so many levels. First off, this should have been done the same day Bowels was let go if this was planned all along. If this is some knee jerk reaction, welcome to the Washington Redskins North. If this is with the thought of Gase can wear both hats, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Gase has a history of personality issues and this purge may have been the result of one. On top of it all, if Gase was the catalyst of what happened, what GM in his right mind would walk into this situation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Too late to fire Gase and blow the whole thing up again? Might as well right? 

Then again we have owners who don’t know wtf their doing so. Jesus.

Only a matter of time before Gase fires Williams, probably in season I’m sure.

Yep. Williams is definitely not buying green bananas.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

We have said that Macs drafts have been historically poor the exception of perhaps last year and hopefully this year.   I have no problem with him being fired, now they can bring a GM who is on the same page as the HC.   

You really can't make as many bad draft picks as he has and be around for the long term.  But can we get it right this time, please?

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

Stop spreading crap.

Cimini said he THINKS Gase didn’t pick Williams, opinion- not a report.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

His new title is "Supreme Overlord?"

THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!

Jury's still out..  hopefully hes up to the task but his first decision is definitely odd.  Hes setting himself up to have very little wiggle room if things go south..  everyone will say you hand picked your gm and were given the title of supreme overlord..  why aren't we winning sbs.

44 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

WAIT! WHAT THE ****! WHY WAS HEIMERDINGER LET GO!?!?!?!?!?!?

Agreed this piece mystifies me - but maybe Heimer was not as critical to the few good decisions that were made during the Mac regime as we have been led to believe.

And folks should calm down - Gase is only the INTERIM GM, not the permanent GM. Hopefully, they'll go out and get the guy from Philly (Douglass?) or someone else a bit more consistent and competent than Mac was.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

true.  the assumption was that mccagnan's job was safe when bowles was canned but in hindsight that wasn't the gase.

Macc never inspired any confidence in me.  Ever see the movie Office Space? Macc looked like and almost sounded like Milton Waddams.  His presence could not fill a phone booth.  He may have been knowledgeable but he had no presence.  That is probab;y why I always felt that Bowles go this way with CJ when they had their so-called power "arrangement"

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

This doesn't really pass the sniff test. Bullets 1 and 2 are kind of contradictory.

Johnson decides to keep Mac and let him spend 100M and run draft, but hires a HC Mac doesn't want because Johnson was enamored with Gase.

And then turns around and forces Williams on Gase, the guy he was supposedly so enamored with that he neutered his GM over? Again, after giving said GM 100M and 1.3 to play with?

Makes no sense.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, RSJ said:

We wind up with a way better head coach and GM if we do this three months ago. Thats really my only point here.

And I say that's probably not accurate.  Given that the Johnson's are responsible for Terry Bradway, Mike Tannenbaum, John Idzik, Mike Maccagnan, Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, and Todd Bowles, I'd say taking as much of the decision-making out of their hands as possible is the best strategy.

ALL HAIL SUPREME OVERLORD GASE

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Looks like this one broke Pac, and for that I am grateful. ALL HAIL OUR NEW SUPREME OVERLORD. GASE THE PAC SLAYER

Please..  very easy to hide if I was as affected as you seem to think I am.

I'm still standing here saying F the Free World...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

We have said that Macs drafts have been historically poor the exception of perhaps last year and hopefully this year.   I have no problem with him being fired, now they can bring a GM who is on the same page as the HC.   

WE have said that. YOU have yelled at us for years that he’s awesome. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

They do a lot with anaytics, too, IIRC, which is long overdue here.

Maccagnan is a scout who should never be a GM. A scout  falls in love with players. No way an analytics team allows a 2nd round pick to be spent on the likes of Hackenberg. That pick was a scout talking to his buddy, nothing more. A scout picks 2 safeties when his offense is from hunger. A scout keeps taking DL guys when you have those slots covered. I have never heard any other team spend as much time and energy selling their picks as THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER. Adams, for example, is a good safety. But taking him over Mahomes or Watson at that time was CRAZY AND STUPID. 

This move doesn't smell like roses, but it's still the right decision. He has no concept of positional value, and he specifically and the organization generally have overvalued defense and DBs above all. And done to at a time when the rules make DBs overhead, not important. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Know what, take the win instead of complaining about not winning by enough.

Yes it clearly should have been done earlier. He and Bowles should have been shown the door on the day they both received their extensions. I'll take a belated win, even if they do look stupid in doing it. Alternative was eking out a couple of preseason-unexpected wins, against teams with major injuries/issues that were unexpected in August, and Macc taking credit for doing a good job a la 2015. 

100% this.  I don't like the timing at all, but it's too late for anything to be done about past idiocy.

I'll take this eye-rolling, but ultimately correct, decision over the endless doubling-down on losing hands as they've been doing for so long before this.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could also be that if/when Gase's term has run its course then his handpicked GM will go with him, and a totally-clean process begins again. Hopefully it won't be too soon.

word on both points

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the plus side, Jets football dunks on you yet again and we all got to watch. Sit down, Frederic Weis. 

Yeah, whatever your feelings about the firing itself, the timing of it, or the future of the team, one indisputably great thing about it is that it continues Pac’s streak of never being right about literally anything, ever.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

The lack of photos and videos of Gase meant something like I said all along. The only reason you fire Macc is bc there is a rift so deep it can't be fixed. He screwed up the #3 pick and paid the price like he should have. 

• Upvote 1