jetscrazey

So either Gase is the GM or another shotgun marriage, why would we expect this to work? Stupid owners

I'm so tired of ownership doing things ass-backwards.  THE GM HIRES THE COACH, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

We have a great franchise QB, but this team might never get anywhere because of their idiotic owners.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

I'm so tired of ownership doing things ass-backwards.  THE GM HIRES THE COACH, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

We have a great franchise QB, but this team might never get anywhere because of their idiotic owners.

Many teams in the NFL don't have the GM hiring the coach or the coach reporting to the GM. The NFL is a COACHES league. Coaches hold inifinetley more power ( and  are paid more) than GMs. 

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Many teams in the NFL don't have the GM hiring the coach or the coach reporting to the GM. The NFL is a COACHES league. Coaches hold inifinetley more power ( and  are paid more) than GMs. 

Unless you have a special situation like Belichick, it's complete idiocy and it ruins the whole structure of accountability.

Gase has been given Parcells status, the new GM will effectively report to him.  I just don't think Gase has accomplished enough to deserve this.

• Post of the Week 2

Just now, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

After clamoring for years that the Jets need to fire Macc...the Jets fire Macc...and then seconds later there's a thread about how it was stupid to fire Macc.

Only Jets fans...

Macc has been terrible but this process just ensures the next GM will either be a puppet, or we'll have the same accountability issues we've had for the past decade

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

After clamoring for years that the Jets need to fire Macc...the Jets fire Macc...and then seconds later there's a thread about how it was stupid to fire Macc.

Only Jets fans...

We're all happy he's gone. It's the timing of it that proves yet again that Woody and Chris Johnson have zero idea how to run an NFL team.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I didn’t like Mac’s drafts but they make him draft and spend all that money only to fire him? On top of that they fire Hiemindinger! Makes you wonder who didn’t want Matt Ruhle?

Sounds like Gase, who is nothing special was brought in be Chris’s soundboard. Sounds like getting stabbed in the back..

SOJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

We're all happy he's gone. It's the timing of it that proves yet again that Woody and Chris Johnson have zero idea how to run an NFL team.

Exactly, and makes you wonder who made the coaching hire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, the story is that Gase won a power struggle and they're going to bring in Gase's guy, likely Joe Douglas who is Howie Roseman's right hand guy.

The organization is a clown show in how they operate but I'm okay with that hire if it pans out.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

Only Jets fans...

I was thinking this myself.  This board man....

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, the story is that Gase won a power struggle and they're going to bring in Gase's guy, likely Joe Douglas who is Howie Roseman's right hand guy.

The organization is a clown show in how they operate but I'm okay with that hire if it pans out.

It means Gase has been given Bill Belichick status....the GM will report to the Head coach.

Exactly what has Adam Gase won to deserve this?  The right way to do this is you hire a GM, and the GM hires the coach and reports to the coach.  The Johnsons aren't smart enough to admit what they don't know.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

Only Jets fans...

The timing of this move is pretty idiotic, it's tough to argue with that.

With that said, I'm still thrilled about the move.

• Upvote 1

The signs have been there since Gase was hired.

From the introductory Press Conf, where Macc sat there and didn't utter a word, to Gase's disappearance during the draft, to the stories about the discord and the Jets' sniffing around other GM candidates around the league.

It's shocking because of the timing - shortly after Macc and Dinger landed a franchise QB followed by spending $100M in free agency then presiding over another draft - but it's still not a surprise.

Jets will bring in a personnel guy that Gase is comfortable with, and move on from there.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think his point is the owners are morons.  You could have fired Mac 6 months ago and had a GM in place to find the right HC.

That's the way a smart organization would be run.

Wikipedia: Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. Until 2009, Belichick split many of the duties normally held by a general manager on other clubs with player personnel director Scott Pioli, though Belichick had the final say on football matters

---------------

Not smart?

Just now, sackdance said:

Wikipedia: Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. Until 2009, Belichick split many of the duties normally held by a general manager on other clubs with player personnel director Scott Pioli, though Belichick had the final say on football matters

---------------

Not smart?

Right...it's basically saying that Gase is on par with Bill Belichick.

What has Gase accomplished to earn this level of faith?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve stated before that Mac clearly wasn’t behind the hire of Gase. Gase obviously knew or found out. Add that to the fact that Mac didn’t get the players Gase wanted in the free agency or draft and this was all said and done.

Gase pulled a real power move here. This is his team now. Big dog, alpha move. It’s all on him now. Gase will have probably have final say over personnel when the new gm is hired, just like he did in Miami. 

This is exactly the kind of guy this organization has needed since Parcells. No bs, killer instinct to win, put it all on me. Now, let’s see what he can do. His new gm hire will buy him a couple of years to get this done.

I’ll tell you what though. You don’t give this kind of power to a HC unless you’re super bowl caliber team (or the insanely hapless Bengals). Lets hope Gase is more Pete Carrol/Belichick than Marvin Lewis.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’ve stated before that Mac clearly wasn’t behind the hire of Gase. Gase obviously knew or found out. Add that to the fact that Mac didn’t get the players Gase wanted in the free agency or draft and this was all said and done.

Gase pulled a real power move here. This is his team now. Big dog, alpha move. It’s all on him now. Gase will have probably have final say over personnel when the new gm is hired, just like he did in Miami. 

This is exactly the kind of guy this organization has needed since Parcells. No bs, killer instinct to win, put it all on me. Now, let’s see what he can do. His new gm hire will buy him a couple of years to get this done.

I’ll tell you what though. You don’t give this kind of power to a HC unless you’re super bowl caliber team (or the insanely hapless Bengals). Lets hope Gase is more Pete Carrol/Belichick than Marvin Lewis.

The Dolphins were terrible under Gase - this is the last thing this team needs.

12 minutes ago, sackdance said:

---------------

Not smart?

Are you honestly comparing Adam Gase to Bill Bellichick?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

Only Jets fans...

Two things can be true at once.

Macc should have been fired. It also should have been done about 3 months ago. All goes back to ownership simply making it up as they go.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you honestly comparing Adam Gase to Bill Bellichick?

No. Are you? 

I’m pointing out that Kraft clearly bypassed your suggested route for success. 

Everyone took aim and fired at the Jets brass when we hired Gase. How could we pass up McCarthy? Johnsons are morons!!!!!

We since learned McCarthy’s main interest was to not earn a penny less than he did with GB. 

In hindsight, it was an easy pass but how could we have known this while Joe Benigno was crying about it on the radio? 

26 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Where the F do I say that? 

I’m pointing out that the Patriots simply put their team in the hands of the HC. And not in any arbitrary “hire the GM then hire the HC” format - there’s more than one way to skin a cat. 

And btw, Bill Belichick in 2000 was not a revered figure/football guru by any stretch. And we only lost him because our team had one too many layers of organization! Need I say more?

3 minutes ago, sackdance said:

No. Are you? 

I’m pointing out that Kraft clearly bypassed your suggested route for success. 

Everyone took aim and fired at the Jets brass when we hired Gase. How could we pass up McCarthy? Johnsons are morons!!!!!

We since learned McCarthy’s main interest was to not earn a penny less than he did with GB. 

In hindsight, it was an easy pass but how could we have known this while Joe Benigno was crying about it on the radio? 

So your point about posting that statement about Kraft was to point out that we don't have all the info so we should hold our tongues until we do?

If that's the case - you're right - there might be a good explanation from ownership.  I have no idea what that can be - but you're right, it could be.

55 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

Only Jets fans...

WHY WOULD YOU NOT FIRE MAC WITH BOWLES INSTEAD OF LETTING HIM SHAPE THE OFF SEASON AND BE MATCHED WITH YOUR NEW COACH.

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So your point about posting that statement about Kraft was to point out that we don't have all the info so we should hold our tongues until we do?

If that's the case - you're right - there might be a good explanation from ownership.  I have no idea what that can be - but you're right, it could be.

There's a clear upside to putting all the eggs in Gase's basket. Credit and blame will be self-evident. We could use that. And should we have to start anew ... we simply clear the decks, a la the post-Coughlin Giants. 

Boy, the NFL is a tough racket.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it.

Only Jets fans...

The vast majority of posters actually agree with the firing.  It is the timing  and the way this was done that is the problem for most.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

what did Bill accomplish prior to getting this? 

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what did Bill accomplish prior to getting this? 

He was widely recognized - and rightfully so - as the best DC in the game.

• Upvote 1