Jump to content

The reality: The Mac firing/drama doesn't matter


JoJoTownsell1
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1

We are a 10-6 caliber team that's done rebuilding.  Whoever holds the coffee cup with a fancy title doesn't matter now.  Let Gase feel more powerful.  Let him know it's his team.  Let the player's know who's boss. 

There is one sheriff in town and it's going to be his way or the highway.  And I'll take the head coach who has the respect of the league as an offensive mind over the GM that made some really questionable decisions.

SAR I

Think they will bring in GM.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We can all agree that the Jets handled this poorly (and that is being kind), but the reality is that the firing and surrounding circus doesn't significantly alter the Jets prospects for the 2019 season. For the 24 hour news cycle and talking heads this is a gold mine but the roster is the same today as it was yesterday. Darnold is still Darnold and Gase is still running the team. 

Macc clearly improved the roster this offseason (even if it wasn't in the manner in which Gase approved), we still have cap space and whoever comes in has flexibility to adjust the roster in the next 3 months leading up to the start of the season.

In the end, those that wanted Mac gone should be happy and those that were indifferent (like myself) can only hope Quinnen/Polite go 1-2 in the ROTY voting, Darnold/Adams go 1-2 in the MVP voting and the Jets win the Super Bowl and Macc becomes the first unemployed GM to win Executive of the Year. 

Throw in the new GM able to magically upgrade at center & the right side of the o-line ... that would be nice. Unfortunately we would need an actual magician to get that done at this juncture of the offseason. I don't see anyone trading away their starting center for anything but a king's ransom right now.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JetsLife said:

Throw in the new GM able to magically upgrade at center & the right side of the o-line ... that would be nice. Unfortunately we would need an actual magician to get that done at this juncture of the offseason. I don't see anyone trading away their starting center for anything but a king's ransom right now.

A bunch of talented Centers were drafted this year (part of Gase's frustration was Mac's inability to land one) and if a couple play well enough in camp to start, a team could cut/trade a vet center that is as good as the Matt Paradis's of the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If feels so odd agreeing with you this much.

The Jets are all in.  Regardless of what any of us think about the man at the helm, there's no more doubt or uncertainty.  Players need to prove themselves to Gase and not count on Macc retaining them simply because they were his favorite late round pick out of the University of Connecticut.

I have no idea what this season or the future holds, but we have a promising young Quarterback and bright offensive mind at HC who is clearly an Alpha.  If Jamal Adams wanted more dawgs, then that's what the Jets have at HC.

Bowles is gone, Macc is gone, we have an offensive-minded HC.  This is exactly what 95% of this Forum has been begging for since 2019 started.  Congrats!  You got it.  Stop complaining and let's goooooo!!!!

 

It's the dawn of a new Jets era.  What we now know is that Florham Park is filled with some nasty backstabbers, some disgruntled coordinators, and one vicious owner.

The p*ssy days of Todd Bowles are most definitely over.  This is a vicious league.  So let's be a vicious team.  If it starts with the front office, good, let it trickle down to the field.

SAR I

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sure, they definitely will.  But that person will be someone Gase blesses, one can imagine someone in Gase's pocket.

This is a league about head coaches, not GM's.  I like Gase.  He's no dumb rookie.  Look how he outmaneuvered Macagnan.  If he brings half that type of evil gusto to the sidelines and the locker room we're going to win a lot of games.

SAR I

Johnson will have a polished, underling I believe if he can get one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's the dawn of a new Jets era.  What we now know is that Florham Park is filled with some nasty backstabbers, some disgruntled coordinators, and one vicious owner.

The p*ssy days of Todd Bowles are most definitely over.  This is a vicious league.  So let's be a vicious team.  If it starts with the front office, good, let it trickle down to the field.

SAR I

Eagles north.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We can all agree that the Jets handled this poorly (and that is being kind), but the reality is that the firing and surrounding circus doesn't significantly alter the Jets prospects for the 2019 season. For the 24 hour news cycle and talking heads this is a gold mine but the roster is the same today as it was yesterday. Darnold is still Darnold and Gase is still running the team. 

Macc clearly improved the roster this offseason (even if it wasn't in the manner in which Gase approved), we still have cap space and whoever comes in has flexibility to adjust the roster in the next 3 months leading up to the start of the season.

In the end, those that wanted Mac gone should be happy and those that were indifferent (like myself) can only hope Quinnen/Polite go 1-2 in the ROTY voting, Darnold/Adams go 1-2 in the MVP voting and the Jets win the Super Bowl and Macc becomes the first unemployed GM to win Executive of the Year. 

Couldn't have said it better!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1

We are a 10-6 caliber team that's done rebuilding.  Whoever holds the coffee cup with a fancy title doesn't matter now.  Let Gase feel more powerful.  Let him know it's his team.  Let the player's know who's boss. 

There is one sheriff in town and it's going to be his way or the highway.  And I'll take the head coach who has the respect of the league as an offensive mind over the GM that made some really questionable decisions.

SAR I

Done rebuilding ? Haven’t even started on the OL yet. Still need a stop gap center. Mac was anti-OL, major reason why he was canned..

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's what some people are missing out on here.

Chris Johnson is a savage.  Not only is he in control and taking decisive action when and where he wants, he's playing the media like a fiddle.  You've got guys like Costello and Manish who were so utterly blindsided by this that it's like they woke up and gravity was turned off.

Our fans will b!tch about the Jets until they start winning, and I have no problem with that.  I get it.  But things have been different since we shipped Woody across the pond.  We don't have consultants and coffee cup holders planning out the Jets 5-year future and rebuild, we've got major changes in just 5 months.....HC, GM, uniforms, etc.  Don't be surprised if you see a headline that the Jets are looking to build their own stadium for 2024.  F**k the old way of doing things.  Times are changing.

I agree and I actually like the cut throat... but as I said in the earlier post the draft is the 'end' of the GMs year... it is the culmination of everything they prepared for... now that the team is formed they can cut ties with the guy cleanly and have a head start and a full year to prepare for the 2020 team (draft and FA)... And now a competent GM can come in and fix some of the holes left behind... Everyone here is talking about 2020 is the window.... this was done for the 2020 window... 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's what some people are missing out on here.

Chris Johnson is a savage.  Not only is he in control and taking decisive action when and where he wants, he's playing the media like a fiddle.  You've got guys like Costello and Manish who were so utterly blindsided by this that it's like they woke up and gravity was turned off.

Our fans will b!tch about the Jets until they start winning, and I have no problem with that.  I get it.  But things have been different since we shipped Woody across the pond.  We don't have consultants and coffee cup holders planning out the Jets 5-year future and rebuild, we've got major changes in just 5 months.....HC, GM, uniforms, etc.  Don't be surprised if you see a headline that the Jets are looking to build their own stadium for 2024.  F**k the old way of doing things.  Times are changing.

Yeah, but what about the logo.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

No they didn't handle it poorly... In fact I think this is the perfect time to fire the GM... GM year starts the day after the draft... it is different then the NFL season... the GM is all about bringing in the best possible team... That is over for 2019... they didn't exactly agree with what he did so they fired him... The media narrative that it is dysfunction is ridiculous... They basically fired him after his year was done... Now they bring in a new GM to fill gaps and give a full year to bring in scouts and prepare for 2020 draft and FA.... 

If you don't have faith in  your GM, you don't let him draft and spend valuable cap space that effects future years rosters  and THEN fire him. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you don't have faith in  your GM, you don't let him draft and spend valuable cap space that effects future years rosters  and THEN fire him. 

Or they gave him one last chance to draft and save his job... GM job runs May to May every year... with filler in between... they fired him after his job was over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We can all agree that the Jets handled this poorly (and that is being kind), but the reality is that the firing and surrounding circus doesn't significantly alter the Jets prospects for the 2019 season. For the 24 hour news cycle and talking heads this is a gold mine but the roster is the same today as it was yesterday. Darnold is still Darnold and Gase is still running the team. 

Macc clearly improved the roster this offseason (even if it wasn't in the manner in which Gase approved), we still have cap space and whoever comes in has flexibility to adjust the roster in the next 3 months leading up to the start of the season.

In the end, those that wanted Mac gone should be happy and those that were indifferent (like myself) can only hope Quinnen/Polite go 1-2 in the ROTY voting, Darnold/Adams go 1-2 in the MVP voting and the Jets win the Super Bowl and Macc becomes the first unemployed GM to win Executive of the Year. 

I like your optimism but, with respect, I believe the opposite is true.  I think the 2019 season will be a circus.  With every loss Gase will feel these are not his guys and blame Mac.  It's what narcissists do.  I think it will create a toxic environment.  Throw the explosive Greg Williams into the mix and this team will be a made for TV horror show.  And now that every reporter is furious at the Jets post game Gase interviews will only add to the toxicity. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you don't have faith in  your GM, you don't let him draft and spend valuable cap space that effects future years rosters  and THEN fire him. 

People are acting like this doesn't happen every year... It happens way more then people realize... the Jets fans and media don't pay attention to those other teams so they don't have perspective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you don't have faith in  your GM, you don't let him draft and spend valuable cap space that effects future years rosters  and THEN fire him. 

I hear you, but this was Gase’s first off season and draft with Mac.  You don’t know till you know.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

That's what some people are missing out on here.

Chris Johnson is a savage.  Not only is he in control and taking decisive action when and where he wants, he's playing the media like a fiddle.  You've got guys like Costello and Manish who were so utterly blindsided by this that it's like they woke up and gravity was turned off.

Our fans will b!tch about the Jets until they start winning, and I have no problem with that.  I get it.  But things have been different since we shipped Woody across the pond.  We don't have consultants and coffee cup holders planning out the Jets 5-year future and rebuild, we've got major changes in just 5 months.....HC, GM, uniforms, etc.  Don't be surprised if you see a headline that the Jets are looking to build their own stadium for 2024.  F**k the old way of doing things.  Times are changing.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. Mac was the last of the Woody Johnson hires. Once the new GM is in place, the team will be completely constructed of people CJ has brought in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I like your optimism but, with respect, I believe the opposite is true.  I think the 2019 season will be a circus.  With every loss Gase will feel these are not his guys and blame Mac.  It's what narcissists do.  I think it will create a toxic environment.  Throw the explosive Greg Williams into the mix and this team will be a made for TV horror show.  And now that every reporter is furious at the Jets post game Gase interviews will only add to the toxicity. 

I don't know if it would go that far but firing Mac now does give ammo for Gase if this year does not turn into the playoffs. All he has to say is "I don't have the guys I need to win because of Mac. Look at that Offensive line out there!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Or they gave him one last chance to draft and save his job... GM job runs May to May every year... with filler in between... they fired him after his job was over.

That's simply not how the NFL works. Go back through history, the vast majority of GMs are hired/fired in January. Ballard/Lynch/Mayock/Gaine/Gutekunst/Grier etc..

The times we see GM's  "hired" in May are when they are part of a succession plan and the GM steps down and they replace him with the Assistant GM. That's when everyone is happy with the performance of the front office. That is NOT what happened here. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's what some people are missing out on here.

Chris Johnson is a savage.  Not only is he in control and taking decisive action when and where he wants, he's playing the media like a fiddle.  You've got guys like Costello and Manish who were so utterly blindsided by this that it's like they woke up and gravity was turned off.

Our fans will b!tch about the Jets until they start winning, and I have no problem with that.  I get it.  But things have been different since we shipped Woody across the pond.  We don't have consultants and coffee cup holders planning out the Jets 5-year future and rebuild, we've got major changes in just 5 months.....HC, GM, uniforms, etc.  Don't be surprised if you see a headline that the Jets are looking to build their own stadium for 2024.  F**k the old way of doing things.  Times are changing.

Don't confuse incompetence with savagery.  Johnson is not a savage.  He just doesn't know how to surround himself with competent people.  He creates chaos and thrives in it precisely because he can't make decisions such as hiring one person to run this team.  If he did and that didn't work out, Johnson would be held responsible.  And he can't handle that.  Not because he's a savage but rather because he's just plain incompetent.  Robert Kraft is a savage.  He/they cut popular players and moves on to the next guy in a savage way.  He is cut throat.  Johnson is the opposite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I agree and I actually like the cut throat... but as I said in the earlier post the draft is the 'end' of the GMs year... it is the culmination of everything they prepared for... now that the team is formed they can cut ties with the guy cleanly and have a head start and a full year to prepare for the 2020 team (draft and FA)... And now a competent GM can come in and fix some of the holes left behind... Everyone hear is talking about 2020 is the window.... this was done for the 2020 window... 

Gase is fearless.  He could have kept MM around to blame if something went wrong but he did not.  He is not looking for excuses.  What is not to like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Macc definitely upgraded the roster this off-season, just not in the right spots. His way of team building has been atrocious. In every off-season every team should be looking to maintain their positions of strength and strengthen their positions of weakness. Macc was strengthening positions of strength and virtually ignored two glaring weaknesses (O-line and CB).

Bringing in good players doesn't necessarily make you a better team. Strengthening your weaknesses is what makes you a better team. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's simply not how the NFL works. Go back through history, the vast majority of GMs are hired/fired in January. Ballard/Lynch/Mayock/Gaine/Gutekunst/Grier etc..

The times we see GM's are "hired" in May are when they are part of a succession plan and the GM steps down and they replace him with the Assistant GM. That's when everyone is happy with the performance of the front office. That is NOT what happened here. 

And there are plenty of GMs fired directly after the draft... It is the 2nd best time to fire a GM... as I stated... not a dysfunction... I agree he should have been gone with Bowles... he wasn't but this is the second best case scenario.... So all I am saying is this media narrative is because a few beat writers want to put press out that way and tons of little birds to pass on that agenda... A circus would have been to fire the GM within the season or in august... that is pure dysfunction... this is business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...