Jump to content

The reality: The Mac firing/drama doesn't matter


JoJoTownsell1
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Remember that first year when they took to spelling Maccagnan with a dollar sign?

I always took that as sundowning boomers who still had “Mevi$ $louch” rattling around upstairs and didn’t have the capacity to come up with something entirely new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It feels so odd agreeing with you this much.

The Jets are all in.  Regardless of what any of us think about the man at the helm, there's no more doubt or uncertainty.  Players need to prove themselves to Gase and not count on Macc retaining them simply because they were his favorite late round pick out of the University of Connecticut.

I have no idea what this season or the future holds, but we have a promising young Quarterback and bright offensive mind at HC who is clearly an Alpha.  If Jamal Adams wanted more dawgs, then that's what the Jets have at HC.

Bowles is gone, Macc is gone, we have an offensive-minded HC.  This is exactly what 95% of this Forum has been begging for since 2019 started.  Congrats!  You got it.  Stop complaining and let's goooooo!!!!

 

This is an excellent post 

Like everyone else I've been thinking about this all day. I posted in a few threads how Gase had won a power struggle which now left him completely in charge of not only the Jets CS, but the FO as well. My reaction was cynical, claiming the new GM would be  hand picked by Gase, there only to do his bidding. I wondered what Gase had accomplished in his career that enabled him to rise so quickly and gain such complete control here.

But you've made me look at it differently. I'm still not 100% sold on Gase, but you're right. There is no doubt who's in charge now. It's all about Adam Gase. Things will be completely different going forward from what we've grown accustomed to. That might not be a bad thing, considering what we've been watching the last few years. LOL.

So lets buckle up, boys! It's going to be a wild ride!!!. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I'm noticing from the local media is a ton of hurt feelings
because:

- They didn't break this story Tony Pauline did

- They lost their "buddy" Maccagnan who they could shoot the
breeze with

Nobody is going to remember this if Darnold takes a "Goff like" step
this year and we come up with a top notch GM

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

What I'm noticing from the local media is a ton of hurt feelings
because:

- They didn't break this story Tony Pauline did

- They lost their "buddy" Maccagnan who they could shoot the
breeze with

Nobody is going to remember this if Darnold takes a "Goff like" step
this year and we come up with a top notch GM

It’s a huge self-own for them to come out and say that “sources within the team lied to [us], and I’m never listening to that source again” because it verifies the source is 1. Still there and 2. Eric Allen, whose job it is to push Jets PR. You never run a story with one source anyway, especially when that lone source is the media relations flack. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Charley Casserly?  Bill Polian? Jed Hughes? 

On balance I think the retread route isn't the worst idea in the world. We're not landing good candidates anyway but it's not a good situation for first-time guys who are generally gonna be like Maccagnan and Idzik in having a background in just one of a bunch of things the GM's responsible for. That's fine someplace else because you get better hires and you give them latitude to hire who they need to hire and do what they need to do to make sure everything's covered. We get idiots and decide for them what kind of help they need, which usually consists of more idiots with poorly-delineated responsibilities. This stuff about sitting there on the clock arguing whether to trade up for Kamara defies belief. It's like having two people type on a keyboard or steer a car.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Quite the concession speech. Also, GFY. Also, anyone who laid out to defend Maccagnan has been beclowned. Anyone who started a thread attacking Pauline regarding this information is beclowned. Attributing Maccagnan’s firing to cruel fate or ennui or haha Jets-be-cray is beclowned. Just say you were wrong and silly and a homer. Have some dignity. Maccagnan sucked and the people who said so, whom you and your ilk vigorously attacked for years, were correct about his performance. Equivocate post-facto all you want, but history is undefeated. 

Someone call homicide.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That's what some people are missing out on here.

Chris Johnson is a savage.  Not only is he in control and taking decisive action when and where he wants, he's playing the media like a fiddle.  You've got guys like Costello and Manish who were so utterly blindsided by this that it's like they woke up and gravity was turned off.

Our fans will b!tch about the Jets until they start winning, and I have no problem with that.  I get it.  But things have been different since we shipped Woody across the pond.  We don't have consultants and coffee cup holders planning out the Jets 5-year future and rebuild, we've got major changes in just 5 months.....HC, GM, uniforms, etc.  Don't be surprised if you see a headline that the Jets are looking to build their own stadium for 2024.  F**k the old way of doing things.  Times are changing.

This.

I think that CJ decided to give Maccagnan a shot to see if he could work with Gase and develop a strategy for building around Sam, a QB that he finally drafted and (right or wrong) got credit for. Macc had his shot -- What was his strategy? How did he build the roster?

  • Pure BPA in Rd 1 for better or worse
  • Solid at identifying UDFAs and undervalued assets on other teams (Henry and Robby Anderson)
  • Taller late-round CBs that were often injured or very raw (Robinson, Clark, Jones, Nickerson, Roberts, Austin)
  • Multiple swings and misses at TE, WR, and RB - Forcing FA acquisitions
  • Criminal neglect of the OL and Edge Rusher positions
  • Serious resources tied up in DL and LB. Forces the questions about his wise allocation of cap space.

Past that his strength, scouting, was mixed at best... his high profile misses really sealed the deal IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Done rebuilding ? Haven’t even started on the OL yet. Still need a stop gap center. Mac was anti-OL, major reason why he was canned..

I said we are done "rebuilding".  I didn't say we are done "building".

A rebuild is a joke of a roster, nary a single player that any other team would covet.  We are far from that.  We have the QB, the RB, the TE, the LB, the DE, the S, and the HC and DC.

I'd say we're 70% of the way there.  A few years ago we were at 10%.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This is an excellent post 

Like everyone else I've been thinking about this all day. I posted in a few threads how Gase had won a power struggle which now left him completely in charge of not only the Jets CS, but the FO as well. My reaction was cynical, claiming the new GM would be  hand picked by Gase, there only to do his bidding. I wondered what Gase had accomplished in his career that enabled him to rise so quickly and gain such complete control here.

But you've made me look at it differently. I'm still not 100% sold on Gase, but you're right. There is no doubt who's in charge now. It's all about Adam Gase. Things will be completely different going forward from what we've grown accustomed to. That might not be a bad thing, considering what we've been watching the last few years. LOL.

So lets buckle up, boys! It's going to be a wild ride!!!. 

Thanks man.  I have to believe there's a method to the madness.  This certainly wasn't a knee-jerk firing.  It's been brewing for a bit and I think the timing was intentional.  I'm buckling up.  Like you said, we're in for a wild ride and whether we like it or not, Gase is driving this car.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I said we are done "rebuilding".  I didn't say we are done "building".

A rebuild is a joke of a roster, nary a single player that any other team would covet.  We are far from that.  We have the QB, the RB, the TE, the LB, the DE, the S, and the HC and DC.

I'd say we're 70% of the way there.  A few years ago we were at 10%.

SAR I

We just had the worst record in decades ? Sure we had a bunch of cap play $$ this yr. but obvious Adams will want 18 mil yr soon, darnold 20+ Do we pay Leonard Williams?  That is going to push out say bell, hopefully not Mosley in a few. Then we are right back chasing our tale replacing them.

have to build through the draft, and fill in some pieces in Fa. Mac has drafted horribly, compared to almost all gm. Olineman have become incredibly expensive. Look what Nate Solder got last yr. You can’t just draft bpa and hope for best every single yr. And  I’m not talking about the can’t miss top 6 picks. That is the easy part. I don’t think anyone will be giving the nba gm of the yr award to the team that picks Zion.. 

  We can do much better then mac. Gase has a lot to prove, but Mac has proven he is bad. When you have four to five  years to “ fix it “ and you are gm of the worst franchise record in quite awhile in your 4th year, you failed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/5/15/18627166/mike-maccagnan-fired-new-york-jets-christian-hackenberg

Quote

Maccagnan’s greatest failure was his complete inability to build through the middle of the draft, where the players taken remain ludicrously cost-controlled for four years. Drafting well in the middle of the draft is the bedrock of efficient NFL franchises; just ask Bill Belichick. And while the Jets’ $100 million in cap space entering free agency this spring may have seemed like a luxury—as it was for the 2019 Colts—that wasn’t the case. It was a reality caused by a roster that had huge gaps and not enough good players worth paying to fill them. The Jets gave out more in guaranteed money than any other team this offseason. Then they fired the guy who gave it all out.

This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Carnival Barker said:

Christian Hackenberg just randomly thrown into the title of that link.  Man, Mac will never escape him 😂

The writer makes the argument that the Christian Hackenberg pick exemplifies Macc's tenure -- repeatedly throwing assets at a deficiency and constantly failing to address it... while letting other weaknesses fester.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We just had the worst record in decades ? Sure we had a bunch of cap play $$ this yr. but obvious Adams will want 18 mil yr soon, darnold 20+ Do we pay Leonard Williams?  That is going to push out say bell, hopefully not Mosley in a few. Then we are right back chasing our tale replacing them.

have to build through the draft, and fill in some pieces in Fa. Mac has drafted horribly, compared to almost all gm. Olineman have become incredibly expensive. Look what Nate Solder got last yr. You can’t just draft bpa and hope for best every single yr. And  I’m not talking about the can’t miss top 6 picks. That is the easy part. I don’t think anyone will be giving the nba gm of the yr award to the team that picks Zion.. 

  We can do much better then mac. Gase has a lot to prove, but Mac has proven he is bad. When you have four to five  years to “ fix it “ and you are gm of the worst franchise record in quite awhile in your 4th year, you failed.

I agree with much of this, but I think we're in a better place than you give us credit for because we have an experienced head coach who is a top NFL offensive mind, an experienced DC who is a top NFL defensive mind, and a very strong ST coach.  Add to that Adams, Mosely, and Bell, young guys like Enunwa and Herndon, and of course Darnold and we are way better off than we were two years ago.

We have an easy schedule and we have to be ready from Day 1.  If we can beat the Bills and Browns at home and go 2-0 the playoffs are happening.  Today is the first real step.  Today is the wake up call for the players and coaches.  Adam's way or the highway.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We can all agree that the Jets handled this poorly (and that is being kind), but the reality is that the firing and surrounding circus doesn't significantly alter the Jets prospects for the 2019 season. For the 24 hour news cycle and talking heads this is a gold mine but the roster is the same today as it was yesterday. Darnold is still Darnold and Gase is still running the team. 

Macc clearly improved the roster this offseason (even if it wasn't in the manner in which Gase approved), we still have cap space and whoever comes in has flexibility to adjust the roster in the next 3 months leading up to the start of the season.

In the end, those that wanted Mac gone should be happy and those that were indifferent (like myself) can only hope Quinnen/Polite go 1-2 in the ROTY voting, Darnold/Adams go 1-2 in the MVP voting and the Jets win the Super Bowl and Macc becomes the first unemployed GM to win Executive of the Year. 

No we can not agree. St least not on everything

Actually 10 hours in opening up Lee's spot might actually give someone a shot on making a difference. Not sure how to quantify but I would wager whoever replaces him, that said player is going to have a better season than Lee would have.

Gase didn't approve over paying talent and focusing on same position he would have. Line etc.

I do agree that I am glad Macc is gone

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I agree with much of this, but I think we're in a better place than you give us credit for because we have an experienced head coach who is a top NFL offensive mind, an experienced DC who is a top NFL defensive mind, and a very strong ST coach.  Add to that Adams, Mosely, and Bell, young guys like Enunwa and Herndon, and of course Darnold and we are way better off than we were two years ago.

We have an easy schedule and we have to be ready from Day 1.  If we can beat the Bills and Browns at home and go 2-0 the playoffs are happening.  Today is the first real step.  Today is the wake up call for the players and coaches.  Adam's way or the highway.

SAR I

Question for you

Do you see Gase as good off coach even unproven? I mean you like his potential as compared to knowing bowls was bad, the coach he replaced? I mean sure gase won a few games in the division but his record is not steller and pretty much seen as underachiever.

You say Williams is top defensive mind, I agree. As well as Special teams. But how far back are you comparing to us? Rex and Mike westoff? Damn that was so long ago. Never mind.

....

2 and 0 would be great

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you don't have faith in  your GM, you don't let him draft and spend valuable cap space that effects future years rosters  and THEN fire him. 

Did you not even listen to what Chris Johnson said?  He DID have faith in Mac.  But AFTER Mac's 2019 FA moves and misses and the 2019 draft, it became crystal clear.  CJ changed his mind. And rather than let that doofus and his questionable scouting staff set up for the 2020 draft, just get rid of it now and clean the slate.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Say what you will about Pac, but I respect that he’s willing to eat a little sh*t today. “Actually, this shocking, franchise-altering move actually doesn’t actually matter, actually; also I was always indifferent as to whether Maccagnan got fired or not” is ******* embarrassing

Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I like your optimism but, with respect, I believe the opposite is true.  I think the 2019 season will be a circus.  With every loss Gase will feel these are not his guys and blame Mac.  It's what narcissists do.  I think it will create a toxic environment.  Throw the explosive Greg Williams into the mix and this team will be a made for TV horror show.  And now that every reporter is furious at the Jets post game Gase interviews will only add to the toxicity. 

So why would this not have happened if Mac was still there? This whole narrative depends on the Jets playing below expectations. And the in-fighting and backstabbing would likely have been worse with Mac in the house, given the existing dysfunction. I'd rather the current scenario with a new GM who has Gase's OK than more Mac stonewalling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

+1

We are a 10-6 caliber team that's done rebuilding.  Whoever holds the coffee cup with a fancy title doesn't matter now.  Let Gase feel more powerful.  Let him know it's his team.  Let the player's know who's boss. 

There is one sheriff in town and it's going to be his way or the highway.  And I'll take the head coach who has the respect of the league as an offensive mind over the GM that made some really questionable decisions.

SAR I

i think they get a gm but it remains to be seen if gase answers to the new guy or vice versa.  or maybe they just maintain the current hierarchy with the coach and gm answering only to chris johnson.  about the only advice to give gase is just win, baby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Carnival Barker said:

Christian Hackenberg just randomly thrown into the title of that link.  Man, Mac will never escape him 😂

nor should he.  hack was a near epic drafting mistake.  not necessarily because he missed badly with the pick but it set the jets back at least two seasons in filling their most important spot while mac prayed this guy worked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No they didn't handle it poorly... In fact I think this is the perfect time to fire the GM... GM year starts the day after the draft... it is different then the NFL season... the GM is all about bringing in the best possible team... That is over for 2019... they didn't exactly agree with what he did so they fired him... The media narrative that it is dysfunction is ridiculous... They basically fired him after his year was done... Now they bring in a new GM to fill gaps and give a full year to bring in scouts and prepare for 2020 draft and FA.... 

Agreed. And another thing that surprises me are all the press people saying, “the Jets lied to us. We can never trust them again. “ What did they expect them to say? “We are still on the fence about firing him” or “we are just waiting for the right moment to fire him”? That is not how the world works. Don’t take it personally.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We can all agree that the Jets handled this poorly (and that is being kind), but the reality is that the firing and surrounding circus doesn't significantly alter the Jets prospects for the 2019 season. For the 24 hour news cycle and talking heads this is a gold mine but the roster is the same today as it was yesterday. Darnold is still Darnold and Gase is still running the team. 

Macc clearly improved the roster this offseason (even if it wasn't in the manner in which Gase approved), we still have cap space and whoever comes in has flexibility to adjust the roster in the next 3 months leading up to the start of the season.

In the end, those that wanted Mac gone should be happy and those that were indifferent (like myself) can only hope Quinnen/Polite go 1-2 in the ROTY voting, Darnold/Adams go 1-2 in the MVP voting and the Jets win the Super Bowl and Macc becomes the first unemployed GM to win Executive of the Year. 

This rationale is why the jets remain a joke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, BettyBoop said:

I like your optimism but, with respect, I believe the opposite is true.  I think the 2019 season will be a circus.  With every loss Gase will feel these are not his guys and blame Mac.  It's what narcissists do.  I think it will create a toxic environment.  Throw the explosive Greg Williams into the mix and this team will be a made for TV horror show.  And now that every reporter is furious at the Jets post game Gase interviews will only add to the toxicity. 

So....just win baby!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...