CJ comments on firing (via conf call with media & C. Hughes notes)

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Sounds like heimerdinger felt he should be the gm and tried stage a mutiny from within but it turned into a political mess.  

Kinda? I think it was more he was the football guy behind the scenes that everyone already differed to, so a lot of scouts and people in the organization were steering it that way.. whether dinger was spearheading that I couldn’t tell you. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh. hot damn. Are you referring to divisions over trading down from 3, and that there were potential deals on the table that Maccagnan didn't take? Because that would confirm a lot of my priors, which I'm very excited about. 

Lol I couldn’t tell you, if I had to guess I think it was more of some trade up scenarios, but it’s possible. Again specifics on that have been unclear. I do know one of the big internal criticisms of mac was that he was indecisive and hesitant with trades and values. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

Lol I couldn’t tell you, if I had to guess I think it was more of some trade up scenarios, but it’s possible. Again specifics on that have been unclear. I do know one of the big internal criticisms of mac was that he was indecisive and hesitant with trades and values. 

Insecure gm too afraid of making a mistake with his first round picks.  Can’t have a gm with no balls.

also, the trade up last year to 3 wasn’t his doing.  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nice of him to 'dig into the team' late in the year and finally looking at what a gm does.  This ownership group is a disgrace.  As many of us have said before the owners should be talking to one person.  A long time older vet president guy like a coughlin who has been there and done that and knows the league and can spot problems.

Half these fools think they are Jerry Jones.

Thank you!!

We need to see this.... the Jets eschew getting a Mike Shannahan as president despite him wanting the job because it was said he wanted to much control!!

Yet you then allow the GM to pick players, hire a HC and then fire that very same GM!!!

And then you allow the guy who has proven nothing in terms of winning to run your organization giving him the very power you wouldn't give the WINNER MIKE SHANNAHAN!!!

This is UTTER MADNESS!!!

I hated the Gase HIRE....... HATED IT and this is why!!

He is not Bellichick so fans have to stop the idea like Gase is some kind of idiot rain man...

Organizations win championships not nut jobs...

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.  Very possible.

Let's say Mr. Johnson hired Gase, immediately saw how strong he was, immediately realized that he could run the whole show, and patiently waited for the hard work of the draft and FA period to end before cutting him loose just before camp.

And knowing all this, let Gase make all the draft choices and choose all the FA's. 

That's what I would have done in his shoes.  I'm not going to stand in Gase's way if he's so strong and certainly not going to defend Maccagnan who I would have gotten rid of if there was a good GM candidate out there in February.  Yeah, the optics look bad, but so what?  I got the HC I wanted, I got the DC I wanted, I have the QB, I have a stud RB.  I don't need the holdover GM from the old regime.  Maccagnan is as tired as the old uniforms.

SAR I

Rose-colored glasses every time.

My theory is you do that because, in case we win it all, you can brag about how the smart/loyal fans (aka ST holders) were on board from the beginning while the the rest of us were just outdated negative SOJFs.  (Or something along those lines). 

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Rose-colored glasses every time.

My theory is you do that because, in case we win it all, you can brag about how the smart/loyal fans (aka ST holders) were on board from the beginning while the the rest of us were just outdated negative SOJFs.  (Or something along those lines). 

How about I have no motives and am just sharing my honest views. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

We need to see this.... the Jets eschew getting a Mike Shannahan as president despite him wanting the job because it was said he wanted to much control!!

Yet you then allow the GM to pick players, hire a HC and then fire that very same GM!!!

And then you allow the guy who has proven nothing in terms of winning to run your organization giving him the very power you wouldn't give the WINNER MIKE SHANNAHAN!!!

This is UTTER MADNESS!!!

He is not Bellichick so fans have to stop the idea like Gase is some kind of idiot rain man...

It's always greener on the other side. You wanted Shanaloser?? I'm with you Gase hasn't proved anything but he had to be better chance than old shanahan who the game past bye...

Seriously I agree with you it's a high chance but already he has surpassed Macc as a GM ....in 10 hours

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

From all accounts, Chris Johnson got the HC he wanted, the DC he wanted, and the FA's he wanted.  During the draft and evaluation process he discovered some things with Mike and the organization that he did not like and took action.

That's what a good CEO does.  Gets his way and ensures he has the right team around him.  This isn't a SOJ moment.  It's the exact opposite.

SAR I

What exactly does Christopher Johnson understand about football?

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

It's always greener on the other side. You wanted Shanaloser?? I'm with you Gase hasn't proved anything but he had to be better chance than old shanahan who the game past bye...

Seriously I agree with you it's a high chance but already he has surpassed Macc as a GM ....in 10 hours

I stand behind the fact that Mike Shannahan knows how to build organizations... I don't want him as coach right now. 

The idea that Gase is somehow better at building a successful team than Shannahan is as of this date demonstrably, by objective facts, preposterous. 

Think Gase has not been responsible for building a winning culture or team at ANY level and that includes kindergarten.

I was willing to Gase be given a chance as the Jets HC but to allow him to run the entire organization!

Why?

What has Gase done to warrant him being picked for organization building?

It is true that a trained monkey on a typewriter might type out a copy of War and Peace but I wouldn't bet on it...... :) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The media is being bitchy about it, probably because they were lied to and had their feelings hurt

Chris Johnson played them like puppets.  He calls the shots.  He lied to them for the betterment of his football team and let them roast as they printed grand proclamations that rumors of Maccagnan being on a hot seat were "200% false."  I f**king love it.

He's not perfect, but he's no patsy.  The idea that fans should tell the owner of a business how he should run it is ridiculous.  This guy isn't standing still.  He's trying to improve things.  I'm not sure if he's getting it right or not, but today the Jets did at least two things that most fans wanted in getting rid of Macc and Darron Lee.  Now we've got people and the media b!tching about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nice of him to 'dig into the team' late in the year and finally looking at what a gm does.  This ownership group is a disgrace.  As many of us have said before the owners should be talking to one person.  A long time older vet president guy like a coughlin who has been there and done that and knows the league and can spot problems.

Half these fools think they are Jerry Jones.

This just proves Chris is as insipid of a simp as his older brother is. He just looks less stupid without the Woody baseball cap. Between the two of them they share half a brain. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The number one lesson Chris Johnson should take from this episode is that he desperately needs to hire a President of Football Ops to serve as an overseer between him and the coaches and GM. Between the hurt he’s taking today and the flaming Woody took with Rex/Idzik, you’d think they’d both want to insulate themselves from this kind of drama.

Don't disagree but that is never happening, so Chris learning is the best alternative.

Seems there was an agreement with Gase behind the scenes. I'll come if you get rid of Macc after draft (was too late for Gase to run the draft). A good question many ask if how did was a guy with his CV in any position to dictate terms? He must interview really well or give mean head.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What do you mean HUH?

We just let mccagnan work the whole off season, draft and FA after a lousy body of work when 100% the best time to remove him was when the former coach was removed at the end of last season.  Of course people are objecting about the timing.  The owner is a clueless dough head, just now, in the past week or so he has had a hallelujah moment and realized mac was lousy?  And all of these guys report directly to Chris johnson.

agreed.  but getting rid of him now is still a good idea

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

And remember, Maccagnan is a scout at heart and the prep work for the draft and FA is extremely detailed and labor intense.  Let him do all the hard work, let Gase make the decisions, and then get Mike out of there before camp opens.

Makes perfect sense to me.  The time to hire a GM is in Feburary and if you can't find one you love and don't want to settle, the perfect time to fire the one you're stuck with is in May.

SAR I

pretty sure Gase and friends will be bringing in some new scouts too

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

What exactly does Christopher Johnson understand about football?

Imagine a smart fan, such as yourself perhaps. Then surround him with 31 other owners and all their smart football people providing very good intel and insight on league trends and strategies. Then provide him with an inner circle that has been in the trenches of scouting and coaching for decades. 

Its a $3 billion dollar business that is a component of a $100 billion dollar business. It’s run by smart people. 

SAR I

5 hours ago, shevys said:

This just proves Chris is as insipid of a simp as his older brother is. He just looks less stupid without the Woody baseball cap. Between the two of them they share half a brain. 

We have a roster and a coaching staff that is actually capable of going 10-6 this year after a decade of futility. Bowles was a disaster. Maccagnan was weak. 

So how exactly do you explain the success that is right in front of us for the taking?

That’s right. Christopher Johnson. He knows what he is doing. 

SAR I

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Chris Johnson played them like puppets.  He calls the shots.  He lied to them for the betterment of his football team and let them roast as they printed grand proclamations that rumors of Maccagnan being on a hot seat were "200% false."  I f**king love it.

He's not perfect, but he's no patsy.  The idea that fans should tell the owner of a business how he should run it is ridiculous.  This guy isn't standing still.  He's trying to improve things.  I'm not sure if he's getting it right or not, but today the Jets did at least two things that most fans wanted in getting rid of Macc and Darron Lee.  Now we've got people and the media b!tching about it.

This. 

We finally have an engaged and vicious owner who is learning a thing or two and can compete with the big dogs and he’s weeding out the weaklings and people are complaining?  Why?  Because a newspaper that wants to sell newspapers writes a story that makes fans feel bad?  Are they that naive to fall for this sh*t again?

This fanbase is the joke, not the owner.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Sar we have known each other on boards for yrs, but I disagree about Gase, living in south florida for yrs dud is a nut job, If he does not come out of the gates winning it is going to be a crap show and it is all his.

I get the hate on Macc but if they were going to fire him it should have been with Bowles period end of story not after the draft and free agency. Now we have a coach that doe not have a winning record trying to coach a young qb and is the acting gm? that is a recipe for failure. I was told yesterday he is just a figure head and the first thing he does is make a trade (dont care about that) but be real, 23-25 is not a great coach it is a loosing record, nothing about him or the team screams confidence. And lost in all this is the young qb we should be building about

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

This is UTTER MADNESS!!!

Thanks I have down votes for saying this and then making the comment if gase fails all his supporters should never post about gms or coaches again. gase is a sub 500 ego manic whose ego will be his downfall.  Everyone in the nfl is basically fired at some point unless they quit first, lets see what happens here. nothing about the jets from the way they hire to fire people screams confidence

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Hmm, that would be out of character with all of your other posts.  When is the last time you were negative on anything about this franchise?  You've loved every move since (and including!) Mark Sanchez.  

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

Sar we have known each other on boards for yrs, but I disagree about Gase, living in south florida for yrs dud is a nut job, If he does not come out of the gates winning it is going to be a crap show and it is all his.

I get the hate on Macc but if they were going to fire him it should have been with Bowles period end of story not after the draft and free agency. Now we have a coach that doe not have a winning record trying to coach a young qb and is the acting gm? that is a recipe for failure. I was told yesterday he is just a figure head and the first thing he does is make a trade (dont care about that) but be real, 23-25 is not a great coach it is a loosing record, nothing about him or the team screams confidence. And lost in all this is the young qb we should be building about

I respect what you're saying,  and if you're in South Florida you've had some firsthand experience.  But the media these days is ruthless, they've never been more manipulative.  They have to, with social media eating their lunch, so they fabricate stories and they have these passionate screamers on TV and radio who act like experts and they're not.  I'll trust Peyton Manning's judgement on Adam Gase over anyone, especially talking heads on the tube who feast on weak minded Jets fans to sell advertising.

Maccagnan is a simple story, no need to overthink it.  His boss thought he was salvageable in February and determined that he wasn't in May.  So he fired him.  In my 30 year career I've seen people go from rock stars with bright futures to out-the-door in a few weeks time.  It doesn't take much to get yourself in trouble.  To Mr. Johnson's credit, he didn't procrastinate.  When he realized he wasn't a good fit he let him go.  Far better than letting him ride out the season causing more disruption.  May is a good time to find a young GM candidate, you get to scoop the other teams in the NFL in that regard.

SAR I

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hmm, that would be out of character with all of your other posts.  When is the last time you were negative on anything about this franchise?  You've loved every move since (and including!) Mark Sanchez.  

I guess you missed the first 20 years I was participating in Jets forums, from 1994-2013 hating on everyone from Rich Kotite to Herman Edwards, calling out Chad Pennington as a puss, wanting Testaverde to hang 'em up.  I was the first person to turn on that fraud Rex Ryan too.  In recent years I happen to believe that what we are doing in our rebuild is a good thing and that Christopher Johnson is a smart young owner.

As for Sanchez, he was great for us.  I could care less about the Buttfumble.  I'm a Yankee fan.  I'm immune to water cooler teasing from Giants fans.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Maccagnan is a simple story, no need to overthink it.  His boss thought he was salvageable in February and determined that he wasn't in May.  So he fired him.    To Mr. Johnson's credit, he didn't procrastinate.  When he realized he wasn't a good fit he let him go.  Far better than letting him ride out the season causing more disruption.  May is a good time to find a young GM candidate, you get to scoop the other teams in the NFL in that regard.

SAR I

i think a lot of the reason can be distilled to this.  it was obvious to anyone familiar with the jets and the nfl that bowles had to go, mccagnan was given another lifeline with the thought he wouldn't mess up the offseason with cj and gase there to monitor it.  by the draft it likely became clear to cj that mccagnan will never be more than a low tier gm and that his passivity would not mesh with gase.  period.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Imagine a smart fan, such as yourself perhaps. Then surround him with 31 other owners and all their smart football people providing very good intel and insight on league trends and strategies. Then provide him with an inner circle that has been in the trenches of scouting and coaching for decades. 

Its a $3 billion dollar business that is a component of a $100 billion dollar business. It’s run by smart people. 

SAR I

I don't even mean that as an insult.  I wouldn't actually expect CJ to know much about football.  Which is the reason he should be hiring someone who does.  Not hiring a coach without a winning track record that was just fired, giving him full control of the organization, and basically just yelling YOLO.

As a "smart fan," I'd immediately be smart enough to known what I don't know, and hire a President of Football Ops to run the football side of things.  That's where I could lean on some of the smart football relationships I've made, to find that person.  And, then, I'd let the guy who really understands the game on a deep level, hire a GM.  Those two would hire a coach.  The coach would hire his staff.

I don't trust CJ to make the best football decisions, and by no means is that a knock on him.  Just build a smart, structured, accountable organization.

I read the entire Johnson interview.  He was incoherent and didn't make any sense. 

• He admitted he didn't know what was going on in the organization he was in charge of. 
  • He admitted that he didn't know enough about the guy he gave $120mm to sign free agents and make all of their draft picks.  Pure incompetence.  
  • He flat out lied about the Emperor's input to this move.
  • He said he wants guys in the building who are communicators and team builders.  Ha!  The Emperor is the exact opposite.
  • It is clear Johnson and Emperor Gase cannot be believed about anything.

That call left me feeling even more hopeless about this team than ever before.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I don't even mean that as an insult.  I wouldn't actually expect CJ to know much about football.  Which is the reason he should be hiring someone who does.  Not hiring a coach without a winning track record that was just fired, giving him full control of the organization, and basically just yelling YOLO.

As a "smart fan," I'd immediately be smart enough to known what I don't know, and hire a President of Football Ops to run the football side of things.  That's where I could lean on some of the smart football relationships I've made, to find that person.  And, then, I'd let the guy who really understands the game on a deep level, hire a GM.  Those two would hire a coach.  The coach would hire his staff.

I don't trust CJ to make the best football decisions, and by no means is that a knock on him.  Just build a smart, structured, accountable organization.

This 

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

And if Johnson thinks Gase is that person, then we're all set. 

No one wants to come here.  Its always overpay or scrape the bottom of the barrel.  Until B&B retire or Darnold looks like the next Mahomes we're going to be handicapped.  That's not Mr. Johnson's fault.  It's just how it is.

SAR I

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I read the entire Johnson interview.  He was incoherent and didn't make any sense. 

• He admitted he didn't know what was going on in the organization he was in charge of. 
  • He admitted that he didn't know enough about the guy he gave $120mm to sign free agents and make all of their draft picks.  Pure incompetence.  
  • He flat out lied about the Emperor's input to this move.
  • He said he wants guys in the building who are communicators and team builders.  Ha!  The Emperor is the exact opposite.
  • It is clear Johnson and Emperor Gase cannot be believed about anything.

That call left me feeling even more hopeless about this team than ever before.

The interview was damage control, pure and simple.  Nothing should make sense.  That's what a good blah blah get it over will presser looks like, we've seen Belichick do it often enough.  And he doesn't like the media and isn't going to give them anything, especially not the inner workings of his organization.

Yesterday was a good day.  We can infer that Gase and Maccagnan weren't on the same page and it was causing a rift in the FO and dysfunction.  Well, with Maccagnan gone and Gase in charge, no more dysfunction.  Now it's just function.  Losing an executive doesn't hurt this team one iota; from the looks of things, it may have strengthened it.

SAR I