CJ comments on firing (via conf call with media & C. Hughes notes)

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The interview was damage control, pure and simple.  Nothing should make sense.  That's what a good blah blah get it over will presser looks like, we've seen Belichick do it often enough.  And he doesn't like the media and isn't going to give them anything, especially not the inner workings of his organization.

Yesterday was a good day.  We can infer that Gase and Maccagnan weren't on the same page and it was causing a rift in the FO and dysfunction.  Well, with Maccagnan gone and Gase in charge, no more dysfunction.  Now it's just function.  Losing an executive doesn't hurt this team one iota; from the looks of things, it may have strengthened it.

SAR I

But overworking a coach with a loosing record does. It cuts both ways. I understand what your saying and you have faith gase could be that guy while I and others  dont see that. We see an ego manic with issues playing well with others (there have been articles stating how he screamed at the owner of  fins) alienated the fins best players ect...what is happening here is either he wins and that forgives all or he loses and what ever happened with gm does him no favors because no all the pressure is on him.  He needs to come out winning to have any type of future here or allot fans will let the Jets have it.

Again I am not against the trade or even firing Mac but the timing reeks of ineptitude, it looks like a fix was in. it makes everyone involved look poorly.

I have been in business and have seen the same things you have but I have never seen some who everyone said did a brilliant job released after that job is complete that only happens to contractors in IT they are in for that job. And most of the time if hey are liked they are brought on full time.

28 minutes ago, rammagen said:

But overworking a coach with a loosing record does. It cuts both ways. I understand what your saying and you have faith gase could be that guy while I and others  dont see that. We see an ego manic with issues playing well with others (there have been articles stating how he screamed at the owner of  fins) alienated the fins best players ect...what is happening here is either he wins and that forgives all or he loses and what ever happened with gm does him no favors because no all the pressure is on him.  He needs to come out winning to have any type of future here or allot fans will let the Jets have it.

Again I am not against the trade or even firing Mac but the timing reeks of ineptitude, it looks like a fix was in. it makes everyone involved look poorly.

I have been in business and have seen the same things you have but I have never seen some who everyone said did a brilliant job released after that job is complete that only happens to contractors in IT they are in for that job. And most of the time if hey are liked they are brought on full time.

I don't think that Gase is actually going to do any real GM work.  Whomever was third on the pecking order below Maccagnan and Heimerdinger is being given that chore.  Johnson announced Gase as the 'interim GM' so as to clear up any future misconceptions-  the GM that's hired will be a subordinate partner to Gase.

And right now, all the GM does is tie a bow on boilerplate rookie contracts and keep an eye out for prospects and retreads on the waiver wire.  I'm sure we have 20+ scouts taking that responsibility very seriously right now.  Point is, Gase isn't being overworked.  He's feeling very confident right now.  And that's awesome.  I want my HC and my QB feeling like Gods at all times.

As for the timing, Mike did something to rub Johnson the wrong way in the last few months.  It happens in the workplace, people flip on a dime sometimes.  We didn't lose a head coach or a quarterback yesterday.  We lost a pencil pushing GM who once the draft and FA are over doesn't do any real work until November.  So we can relax now.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't think that Gase is actually going to do any real GM work.  Whomever was third on the pecking order below Maccagnan and Heimerdinger is being given that chore.  Johnson announced Gase as the 'interim GM' so as to clear up any future misconceptions-  the GM that's hired will be a subordinate partner to Gase.

And right now, all the GM does is tie a bow on boilerplate rookie contracts and keep an eye out for prospects and retreads on the waiver wire.  I'm sure we have 20+ scouts taking that responsibility very seriously right now.  Point is, Gase isn't being overworked.  He's feeling very confident right now.  And that's awesome.  I want my HC and my QB feeling like Gods at all times.

As for the timing, Mike did something to rub Johnson the wrong way in the last few months.  It happens in the workplace, people flip on a dime sometimes.  We didn't lose a head coach or a quarterback yesterday.  We lost a pencil pushing GM who once the draft and FA are over doesn't do any real work until November.  So we can relax now.

SAR I

What... SAR is actually reasonable... 

"I don't think that Gase is actually going to do any real GM work. "

He traded a player within hours of getting the interim title.  It has been reported the he hated the bell and Moseley contracts.  The team is only going to hire someone that he approves of.

Gase is running the show, the whole show.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I prefer this. One visor to rule them all. He can delegate scouting and contracts by setting priorities and expectations while letting others do the ground work. But all the organizational ships must sail in the same direction, and it seems they weren't until the last couple days. For better or worse Gase is now the Godfather and the new Gm will be Consigliere. I think HBO hard-knocks would be interesting to say the least with this crew.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:59 PM, T0mShane said:

Crisis Management 101 is to declare that everything is fine, the systems worked, the safeguards are in place, and the disaster you just witnessed was 100% aberrational and, more importantly, nobody’s fault. Thank you, drive through. 

Chernobyl is a GREAT show.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Gase already pulled the "power play" maneuver in Miami and it was rumored to have happened in NY (before Macc was fired).  So why would you just assume that Macc did something between the draft and yesterday?  Isn't it FAR more reasonable to assume this was another power play on the part of Gase?

If we end up with Joe Douglas I'll feel a lot better about the situation.  But if he turns down the Jets then we're back to being the circus.

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Chernobyl is a GREAT show.

YES! I watched the first two episodes last night. Unreal how high-quality it is. Some scenes were actually breathtaking. Every so often the dialogue gets a little on the nose, but it's an incredible viewing event. Props to @Warfish for the recommendation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

YES! I watched the first two episodes last night. Unreal how high-quality it is. Some scenes were actually breathtaking. Every so often the dialogue gets a little on the nose, but it's an incredible viewing event. Props to @Warfish for the recommendation.

Hopefully now my meme makes more sense, lol.

Glad you like it brother!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"I don't think that Gase is actually going to do any real GM work. "

He traded a player within hours of getting the interim title.  It has been reported the he hated the bell and Moseley contracts.  The team is only going to hire someone that he approves of.

Clearly that trade was on the table for awhile and, perhaps, even a point of contention between Mike and Adam. 

Gase is running the whole show, but my response was to a poster who felt the GM work would be distracting.

SAR I

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Gase already pulled the "power play" maneuver in Miami and it was rumored to have happened in NY (before Macc was fired).  So why would you just assume that Macc did something between the draft and yesterday?  Isn't it FAR more reasonable to assume this was another power play on the part of Gase?

If we end up with Joe Douglas I'll feel a lot better about the situation.  But if he turns down the Jets then we're back to being the circus.

I hope it was a power play by Gase.  I want that in my head coach.  Success by any means necessary.

This is football.  No trophies for playing nice with others.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I hope it was a power play by Gase.  I want that in my head coach.  Success by any means necessary.

This is football.  No trophies for playing nice with others.

SAR I

Bingo. It's about time that the Jets had somebody in this place who can take control and make a decision.

• Upvote 1

Francesa actually makes a good point here. It makes sense.

He blames Macc getting fired on Leveon Bell not coming to the voluntary workouts. Gase couldve went right to Johnson after that saying he didnt even want the guy and now he doesnt even come to the minicamp.

7 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:

Francesa actually makes a good point here. It makes sense.

He blames Macc getting fired on Leveon Bell not coming to the voluntary workouts. Gase couldve went right to Johnson after that saying he didnt even want the guy and now he doesnt even come to the minicamp.

I agree.  "Voluntary" or not, if you're a player with a reputation for bad team chemistry who wants to make a good impression on a coaching staff that values team commitment and with a hardcore head coach who specifically wants his players all-in, Bell failing to come to Florham Park is not good.  His "I grew up a Jets fan" rings very hollow right now and surely didn't cast Maccagnan in the best light.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree.  "Voluntary" or not, if you're a player with a reputation for bad team chemistry who wants to make a good impression on a coaching staff that values team commitment and with a hardcore head coach who specifically wants his players all-in, Bell failing to come to Florham Park is not good.  His "I grew up a Jets fan" rings very hollow right now and surely didn't cast Maccagnan in the best light.

SAR I

everyone around nfl circles was saying for months that bell's best fit was in ny.  mccagnan got him to come here, paid up, but hey it's FA and that's what bad teams have to do.  once bell was signed, what did everyone expect?  bell is not changing, he's going to be a diva like antonio brown, obj, etc.  welcome to dealing with millenials.

i don't think anything bell did affected mccagnan's status.  my hunch is that cj considered firing mccags when he got rid of bowles but wasn't sure so he kept some continuity, with the vision/understanding that cj would have a role in selecting the new hc.   cj has specifically said that he picked the hc, not the gm - and when mccagnan was here that didn't seem like much but maybe what cj was saying was that he took control of the team.   

bottom line, mccagnan has likely been on 'thin ice' since bowles got the axe.  FA went pretty well, as did the draft considering they didn't have a 2nd round pick and didn't trade back.  i do think the draft had way more to do with mccagnan getting the axe, there will probably be continued leaking/fallout from what happened in that draft room.  i think it's quite possible that either gase or heimer wanted mccags to act on certain trade options and when the dysfunction spewed all over the room cj had enough and knew he couldn't go forward with the front office as is.