Put a bow on the McCagnan administration

Just now, Untouchable said:

I’m beyond tired of talking about this guy.

He’s gone

How about we focus on who the new GM is going to be?

You learn the past and try not to repeat history. Evaluating why Mac ultimately failed is step 1 on search for a competent replacement.

The interesting aspect of McCagnan is that history could look favorably on him IF Darnold is the real deal. Similar to Harry Truman. 

• Post of the Week 1

He was known for taking BPA and got a few good breaks when players fell to us (Darnold (I mean Giants could have had him), Williams')

He always brought in players who were injured the year before on the cheap.

Never addressed the offensive line, except with discount Centers that couldn't snap the ball.

He was never able to trade back effectively and yet he/Brian traded up to get a QB.

Team never made the playoffs on his watch.

He did do well with some undrafted free agents.

Overpaying for aging Free Agents and missing out talent that just did not want to come here.

What really did him in was the O-line, Edge Rusher, and drafts between rounds 2-7.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, freestater said:

He got us Darnold. Other than that, he failed far too often. From free agents to draft picks and even trades, he had far more negatives than positives. A little too late, but glad he's gone. 

The only way he “got” Darnold was through his utter ineptitude and pure Luck, with the Jets picking around Top 5 his entire tenure, and the Giants GM thinking that a great RB is worth more than a great potential Franchise QB.  Then this year thinking a rag arm QB in Jones will be his Franchise QB.

Also you should realize that Kirk (4-25 vs Winning Teams) could very easily be the Jet QB right now along with his cap busting charge, and you’d have to go through the whole “praying we can find a Franchise QB” in the draft thing again. Maccagnan in his panic to save his job offered more than anyone for Cousins, which would have been a terrible long term strategic move.

Great day in Jet history the disaster of Maccagnan/Bowles is now in the history books for good.

• Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The highs

The lows

What personality traits contributed to his downfall? 

How will Mike McCagnan be remembered amongst Jets fans

Where does he rank amongst Jets GMs?

you first need a personality

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The only way he “got” Darnold was through his utter ineptitude and pure Luck, with the Jets picking around Top 5 his entire tenure, and the Giants GM thinking that a great RB is worth more than a great potential Franchise QB.  Then this year thinking a rag arm QB in Jones will be his Franchise QB.

Also you should realize that Kirk (4-25 vs Winning Teams) could very easily be the Jet QB right now along with his cap busting charge, and you’d have to go through the whole “praying we can find a Franchise QB” in the draft thing again. Maccagnan in his panic to save his job offered more than anyone for Cousins, which would have been a terrible long term strategic move.

Great day in Jet history the disaster of Maccagnan/Bowles is now in the history books for good.

I am encouraged by Gase.  HIs answers are football related and informative.  I think he could be good here.  My worst fear, however, is that he could tell Johnson to go **** himself almost anytime.

41 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The highs

The lows

Imo, he ranks between Tanny and Idzik. He wasn't as bad as Idzik, but he certainly wasn't as good as Tammy either.

Mac will be most remembered for selecting Hack and Darron Lee. That draft was what really put this team behind the 8 ball.

13 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

9 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I am encouraged by Gase.  HIs answers are football related and informative.  I think he could be good here.  My worst fear, however, is that he could tell Johnson to go **** himself almost anytime.

I know, I agree with you.  But actually I like the way Gase comes across. It speaks volumes of confidence in his own abilities..."Oh yeah?!?! F**k you, I'll have another one of the only 32 HC jobs in the entire world tomorrow if I want".

Not sure how it will all play out, but I know the Jets are ions ahead of where they were sitting last year with Bowles and Maccagnan, where in broad daylight you saw a coach punt down 2 scores in the 4th, who would much rather keep a Final Score loss as close as he could rather than you know try to win hahaha.  He coached as scared as anyone I've ever seen on any level, and Maccagnan drafted the EXACT same way....both to try to keep their jobs that neither deserved as long as possible.

Good riddance.

And lastly, remember that Adam Gase was 11-0 with a "healthy" Ryan Tannehill.  I'm not saying he's the next Belichick, just saying the Jets could be in way way worse hands....and they were, just a few hours ago.  They were in a total nightmare when BOTH Maccagnan and Bowles still had their jobs.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc was worse than Idzik. 

Oh, and Joe Beningo was awesome today. 

They were spot on. This was an embarrassment.

Mac should have been gone last year but Synergy Johnson doesn't have a clue. A big issue is that Gase has not proven a thing - nothing. Now all we can do is just witness it. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He got Darnold. 

23 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I know, I agree with you.  But actually I like the way Gase comes across. It speaks volumes of confidence in his own abilities..."Oh yeah?!?! F**k you, I'll have another one of the only 32 HC jobs in the entire world tomorrow if I want".

Not sure how it will all play out, but I know the Jets are ions ahead of where they were sitting last year with Bowles and Maccagnan, where in broad daylight you saw a coach punt down 2 scores in the 4th, who would much rather keep a Final Score loss as close as he could rather than you know try to win hahaha.  He coached as scared as anyone I've ever seen on any level, and Maccagnan drafted the EXACT same way....both to try to keep their jobs that neither deserved as long as possible.

Good riddance.

And lastly, remember that Adam Gase was 11-0 with a "healthy" Ryan Tannehill.  I'm not saying he's the next Belichick, just saying the Jets could be in way way worse hands....and they were, just a few hours ago.  They were in a total nightmare when BOTH Maccagnan and Bowles still had their jobs.

they have cleaned house.  clean slate. let's go.  how can anyone be discouraged?  they know nothing about Adam Gase.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, MasterChiefJets said:

They were spot on. This was an embarrassment.

Mac should have been gone last year but Synergy Johnson doesn't have a clue. A big issue is that Gase has not proven a thing - nothing. Now all we can do is just witness it. 

Benigno is a blithering idiot.  Everything that is bad about sports talk radio.  He is a scream with hair on its face

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I’m beyond tired of talking about this guy.

He’s gone

How about we focus on who the new GM is going to be?

Don't we kinda sorta need to know who that is before we "focus" on it?

Or do you mean "lets engage in baseless rampant speculation, so 90% of posters will end up pissed when "their guy" isn't hired, even tho "their guy" was never actually being considered"?

If so, fun times.  "Focus", lol.

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The highs

The lows

Literally the only good thing I can say about him is that’s he wasn’t Idzik.

Lucking into Sam wasn’t a coup. He was targeting Allen or Rosen. I’d still rather have Deshaun or Mahomes.

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The highs

The lows

step 1 : eat dominoes and drink 5 cups of coffee

step 2 : sit on toilet

step 3 : put head in bowl about 2-6" to get a close up view and good whiff of what you just created

this sums up mikes tenure here

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

He got us darnold. That alone makes his tenure here near the top 

The only thing I'll say in response to this is that if Sam Darnold wins a Super Bowl with the Jets then we should absolutely thank Mike Maccagnan.  Most of his other moves were essentially par for the course, nothing exceptionally noteworthy.  Several bad draft picks, some good trades, some bad FA signings, some okay FA signings......but his legacy will no doubt be the St. Patrick's Day trade up of 2018 and landing Sam Darnold.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Literally the only good thing I can say about him is that’s he wasn’t Idzik.

Lucking into Sam wasn’t a coup. He was targeting Allen or Rosen. I’d still rather have Deshaun or Mahomes.

This part is wrong.

If Allen or Rosen was his target then he would have taken one of them.  Both were available.

I think what you meant to say was that he was okay with one of those two as a fallback.  I believe his Top 2 were Darnold and Mayfield.  Those were his targets.  He would have accepted getting one of the consensus Top 4 QBs in the Draft and then praised that guy as "the one we wanted all along."

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Don't we kinda sorta need to know who that is before we "focus" on it?

Or do you mean "lets engage in baseless rampant speculation, so 90% of posters will end up pissed when "their guy" isn't hired, even tho "their guy" was never actually being considered"?

If so, fun times.  "Focus", lol.

Schefter threw out three names earlier.

Joe Douglas, Adam Peters and some bean counter that the Jets already have in the front office.

Debating about just those 3 alone is more entertaining to me than talking about the many f*ck ups of Maccagnan for the umpteenth time.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This part is wrong.

If Allen or Rosen was his target then he would have taken one of them.  Both were available.

I think what you meant to say was that he was okay with one of those two as a fallback.  I believe his Top 2 were Darnold and Mayfield.  Those were his targets.  He would have accepted getting one of the consensus Top 4 QBs in the Draft and then praised that guy as "the one we wanted all along."

I think he meant that insofar as he didn't think he'd be in the running for either of his top 2 choices (unless one of his top 2 choices was a consensus 3rd or 4th choice).

Macc's own post-draft interview language ("OMG Darnold just fell to us" or something like that, the moment Barkley was picked) suggests he was surprised Darnold slipped past the Giants after Cleveland didn't take him #1. This contradicts the narrative of some who claimed, "Oh he knew in March the Giants were taking Barkley if he was there" when the circulated rumor at the time was they'd only take a QB if Darnold was there, but that they didn't like Mayfield's or Rosen's personality.

Macc further said as well that he traded up to #3 and stopped there because he'd be content with any of his top 3 choices, not merely Darnold or Mayfield as many like to suggest, since he wasn't in control of that destiny. FFS for all he knew someone else like Denver could have traded with the Giants and moved up to #2 to take Darnold. 

• Upvote 1