Put a bow on the McCagnan administration

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He got Darnold. 

He cowardly passed on Mahomes and to a lesser extent Watson the year before to go with the job protecting “consensus” selection as per usual, when the Jets had NO QB.

The following year was “do or die” for him, either get a QB or some semblance of a QB or be fired, his hand was forced and he moved.  Supposedly it was Heimerdinger who actually got the deal done, and if not for the Giant GM you’d have Allen or Rosen as the Jet QB and you’d be waiting a few more years until you could draft another QB.

One of the Worst GMs I’ve seen on any professional team, he’s gone now, maybe his mentor Casserly can now get him a job on NFL Net just like Arians always has a job for the other incompetent idiot Bowles.

38 minutes ago, jack48 said:

they have cleaned house.  clean slate. let's go.  how can anyone be discouraged?  they know nothing about Adam Gase.

I know one thing, Gase is supposedly a master of Excel spreadsheets.

Maccagnan has that picture in front of a computer with 99 coffee cups.  He might be able to turn one on, Bowles not sure if he knows what one is.

40 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He cowardly passed on Mahomes and to a lesser extent Watson the year before to go with the job protecting “consensus” selection as per usual, when the Jets had NO QB.

The following year was “do or die” for him, either get a QB or some semblance of a QB or be fired, his hand was forced and he moved.  Supposedly it was Heimerdinger who actually got the deal done, and if not for the Giant GM you’d have Allen or Rosen as the Jet QB and you’d be waiting a few more years until you could draft another QB.

One of the Worst GMs I’ve seen on any professional team, he’s gone now, maybe his mentor Casserly can now get him a job on NFL Net just like Arians always has a job for the other incompetent idiot Bowles.

One more time for the dreamers on what could have been.  Mahomes went into the combine as a day two mock.  KC loved him, good for them.  They were 100% right.  Give them props but thats like bitching that we passed on Wilson 3 times or Brady 6 times.  It happens.  I wanted Watson.  Only one or two others did back then.  Today?  Lots more fans.  

None of this has anything to do with he got us our QB, got Darnold.  I could care less how many different ways you try to turn it into he didnt actually get Darnold.  The ridiculous idea that he doesnt get credit for moving up, for knowing what everyone knew about Gettlemans man crush on Barkley, regardless getting one of the top 3 instead of possibly getting no one is even worse.  He screwed up lots of things, Darnold wasnt one of them.  

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc was worse than Idzik.  

One could argue that. Idzik inherited a cap mess and fixed it. Coffeboy just didn't mess up the cap and sat on it four four years while collecting top 10 picks. Of course Idzik would probably screw up those picks. Does Idzik sound like a preppy polo shirt brand to anyone else?

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This part is wrong.

If Allen or Rosen was his target then he would have taken one of them.  Both were available.

I think what you meant to say was that he was okay with one of those two as a fallback.  I believe his Top 2 were Darnold and Mayfield.  Those were his targets.  He would have accepted getting one of the consensus Top 4 QBs in the Draft and then praised that guy as "the one we wanted all along."

Semantically, you're right. He is on-record saying he never expected Sam to be there. Meaning he expected Sam to be 1 or 2. However, to the point I was making, IF he assumed Sam would be gone by 1 or 2, AND he chose not to acquire either of those picks, THEN he was effectively targeting the 3rd best QB. Maybe he thought that was Allen, maybe Mayfield, maybe Rosen. We don't know. We do know he didn't think it was Sam. Therefore by not targeting the 1st or 2nd pick, he wasn't targeting Sam - even if he did have him ranked higher. He was targeting one of the other three. 

Basically, he went into the night okay with the idea of hooking up with the fat girl still batting around the bar at last call. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time for the dreamers on what could have been.  Mahomes went into the combine as a day two mock.  KC loved him, good for them.  They were 100% right.  Give them props but thats like bitching that we passed on Wilson 3 times or Brady 6 times.  It happens.  I wanted Watson.  Only one or two others did back then.  Today?  Lots more fans.  

None of this has anything to do with he got us our QB, got Darnold.  I could care less how many different ways you try to turn it into he didnt actually get Darnold.  The ridiculous idea that he doesnt get credit for moving up, for knowing what everyone knew about Gettlemans man crush on Barkley, regardless getting one of the top 3 instead of possibly getting no one is even worse.  He screwed up lots of things, Darnold wasnt one of them.  

Most of the folks clamoring for us to draft Mahomes were also arguing that where he was being mocked was stupid. So, you aren't really considering the whole argument that was being made.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he meant that insofar as he didn't think he'd be in the running for either of his top 2 choices (unless one of his top 2 choices was a consensus 3rd or 4th choice).

Macc's own post-draft interview language ("OMG Darnold just fell to us" or something like that, the moment Barkley was picked) suggests he was surprised Darnold slipped past the Giants after Cleveland didn't take him #1. This contradicts the narrative of some who claimed, "Oh he knew in March the Giants were taking Barkley if he was there" when the circulated rumor at the time was they'd only take a QB if Darnold was there, but that they didn't like Mayfield's or Rosen's personality.

Macc further said as well that he traded up to #3 and stopped there because he'd be content with any of his top 3 choices, not merely Darnold or Mayfield as many like to suggest, since he wasn't in control of that destiny. FFS for all he knew someone else like Denver could have traded with the Giants and moved up to #2 to take Darnold. 

My thinking has always been that Macc had Darnold as his QB1, thought the Giants would go with Barkley, and that he'd get the QB2 in Mayfield.  His "OMG" moment was that he got the #1 guy on his board at #3.  He thought he'd get the #2 QB.  I believe the Game Theory was that the Giants wanted either Darnold or Barkley, and that they were less inclined to go with Mayfield at #2.  Mayfield going #1 threw the wrench in the equation as I think the Jets saw a potential worst case with their top two choices disappearing.  In the end, they got their guy.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m done trying to convince you that Gettleman is way more responsible for the Jets landing Darnold (who was actually wearing a brown colored tie, fully expecting to be the 1st pick in the Nation, which he rightfully should have been) than Maccagnan was.  I’d rather argue with furniture.

Mahomes was no Day 2 mock, maybe in a small circle.  You can throw a rope 70 yards you’re a 1st Rd pick.  I don’t work in the nfl but I predicted he would torch the league Dan Marino style in his rookie year on this board.