Francesa, Media on Maccagnan Firing.

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

first of all, grown men don't "lol", so don't "lol" me, ok little boy?

second, Eli cancelled his spot with Mike because they drafted a QB at #6...has nothing to do with Mike. Period.

Mike is a publicity manufacturing genius and those of us who understand how business is done and how to make a dollar can see the forest through the trees.

Don't "lol" me. Just don't do it.

lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

National media types know less than local media types who know less than us fans about the teams.

Totally agree.  For example, I keep hearing how Gase took over, wanted to be GM and got it.  Neglecting the "interim" part of the equation.

Though I have to admit, NFLN has been pretty good here.  They reported this morning how CJ was tired of Macc being slow to move, to indecisive and not the kind of proactive mover on picks, trades and signings that he realized they needed.  Theyre reporting it had nothing to do with a power play by Gase. So a different take than the tried and true usual stuff.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I honestly don't know what to think? However, I was already certain Mac needed to go. He was way too slow moving. It's like he thought he was working a 10 year timeline?

Now, I'm afraid Gase will alienate all of our good players just like he did in Miami. I hope that's not the case.

the players do not care about Macc.  Gase wants a certain type of player.  So do I.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Calm down little man, and get with ages. Ohh ya your the big business guy huh ?? well you must not be good at it if you think your idol trashing his home market teams is good business. You are a bit clueless like mike ?

Dude makes $4 million a year. how about you?

• Haha 1

Good Article by Albert Breer.  Probably one of the better NFL insiders these days

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/16/new-york-jets-mike-maccagnan-adam-gase-joe-douglas

But we’re starting in Florham Park, which is the same as it always was.

With everything above standing, the Jets will find someone. There are only 32 GM jobs, and fewer than that come with full roster authority. This one has merits—Sam Darnold is, in some evaluators’ eyes, among the top three or four quarterback prospects to come into the league this decade, and Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Quinnen Williams give the defense a young backbone.

Conversely, there’s a lot that made it abundantly clear how badly the organization was misaligned—a result of too many people acting as foot soldiers and not enough stepping up as generals. There was no big blowup in the building, no public display of dissension. But there was plenty of passive aggression to make up for that.

• There was a widespread belief in the organization that the pursuit of Bell was spurred by ownership—or moreso that Maccagnan conducted it because he knew that’s what the Johnsons wanted. In the process, Gase informed others in the building that he didn’t want Bell, but said that, if Bell signed, he’d be fine coaching him. Fair or not, some saw that as Gase distancing himself from the decision, while lining himself up for credit if it worked, in large part because that matched up with his reputation in Miami.

• Mosley was a different case. Gase had him No. 1 on his veteran wish list from the start, I’m told, which explains the wild price the Jets paid to get him: $17 million per, which is nearly $5 million per more than Luke Kuechly made as the NFL’s highest paid off-ball linebacker in 2018. The coach saw him as the type of cultural tone-setter he wanted for his program. Even if no one was crazy about the price tag, the Jets knew they’d have to overpay to beat out Baltimore, which badly wanted to keep him. They wound up a full $3 million per past the Ravens in the process.

• Some friction ahead of free agency was settled well before the draft, and with goals accomplished on the veteran market, many in the building were led to believe that the Maccagnan/Gase partnership was moving forward. Then before the draft, another small sign that aligned with how the Bell situation was perceived cropped up. The coaches ranked Quinnen Williams above Houston DT Ed Oliver, but gushed over Oliver in meetings. This was seen, again, as coaches covering themselves on both ends of a decision, this time openly lusting for one player while toeing the line on the league-wide consensus that the other was better.

• Through it all, Maccagnan held the trigger, and came under criticism internally over a lack of decisiveness that matched poorly with others playing both sides of decision; he’d collect opinions but rarely came down strongly on one side or another in meetings. But free agency and the draft were his shows—In fact, in the war room on draft weekend, Gase was relatively quiet. So it’s easy to ask why Johnson allowed his lame-duck GM to run the bulk of the offseason, if there was a plan to go in another direction (and rumors were circulating about Maccagnan and potential replacement Joe Douglas weeks before the draft). In a similar situation two years ago, the Bills wound up quietly giving command of the draft to coach Sean McDermott, knowing Doug Whaley was on the outs. That didn’t happen here.

• And while we’re there, amid all of Wednesday’s tumult, it took less than 12 hours for Gase to ship out Maccagnan’s big first-round miss as GM—linebacker Darron Lee. The previous regime had discussed a Lee trade with the Chiefs for a few weeks and was holding firm in asking for a fifth-round pick. Shortly after Maccagnan was fired, Kansas City sensed opportunity, and called to offer their 2020 sixth-round pick for Lee, who the Chiefs view as one of the best pure cover linebackers in football. As interim GM, I’m told Gase was indeed the one who did a deal that quickly finalized. That, by the way, leaves just five players (Leonard Williams, Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Lac Edwards and Charone Peake) from Maccagnan’s first two draft classes, with players from those classes heading into Years 4 and 5.

Again, if you’re Johnson, can you sell that?

The lead candidate to replace Maccagnan is Douglas, the Eagles VP of player personnel, and one of the NFL’s most respected evaluators. He’d be Gase’s pick. And if the Jets can land him, I’d bet on the chance that having traipsed through this smoldering fire would prove worth it for New York.

But with all the associated rubble, Douglas would have a lot to consider before taking the job.

The ex-Ravens exec served 16 years in Baltimore, mostly on the road as a college scout, before a one-year stop in Chicago (where he crossed over with then-Bears OC Adam Gase) that led to becoming the Eagles’ No. 2 behind Howie Roseman in 2016. In Philly, Douglas helped build a Super Bowl champion team with staying power, and has positioned himself in a similar spot to the one Chris Ballard was in three years ago.

Coming up in Chicago, then landing in Kansas City as John Dorsey’s top lieutenant, Ballard turned down GM opportunity after GM opportunity, waiting for the right one to open up—with a quarterback and, preferably, in the Midwest—knowing that the Chiefs were stable and his stock was high. The benefits of that patience, and wisdom, are now on full display in Ballard’s Indianapolis.

So is this Douglas’s version of Indy? Darnold makes it enticing. Johnson could crash a Brink’s armored truck into his house, making it even harder to say no.

Douglas—who, from a reputation and demeanor standpoint, is actually similar to Ballard—is sharp enough to evaluate everything about his next step before he takes it, knowing, of course, that it’s the final rung of the ladder for a scout to climb. That’s why he very carefully has to consider what happened the last four months in Florham Park.

Maybe the deal is already done. That would explain the timing, among other things, of the owner’s move to fire Maccagnan three weeks after the draft. If it is done then, like I said, the likelihood is all this ugliness will be worth it, a sort of broken road to one of the NFL’s best personnel guys.

From there, Douglas would have a pretty daunting task ahead of him—one where the roster certainly wouldn’t be the first thing he’d have to fix.

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Great listen. Gase is clearly a whack job. No excuses now. No Mac to blame. Take me to the playoffs or gtfo here 

not quite.   This team needs to improve dramatically from the last 3 sh*t shows but w/o a Center and CB the playoffs may not be in reach this year.   Draft board and value are words that should only be used when you have a Center and 2 starting CB's.   

5 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

not quite.   This team needs to improve dramatically from the last 3 sh*t shows but w/o a Center and CB the playoffs may not be in reach this year.   Draft board and value are words that should only be used when you have a Center and 2 starting CB's.   

Not how it works. When you take an

entire organization over now there’s only one person to blame. Gase thinks he can get it done quicker. I as a fan hope he’s right but If he doesn’t produce it’s on him and him alone. Don’t give we can’t make the playoffs because of a center garbage 

9 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I’m more concerned about CB than C. Hopefully we generate pass rush with QW and Polite to mask that deficiency

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Fat mike hates the jets and Mets. He is a pos 

He was practically a jets fan when Parcells  was here, was neutral during the Herm years and he loved Mangini

Woody did something to piss off Francesa because he’s been venomous towards the jets ever since around 2008

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 11:40 PM, jetstream23 said:

1312785020_ScreenShot2019-05-15at8_38_39PM.png.e8be97591624e21b09ae4bb62b399a4b.png

Two of the Four things in this picture are now gone.  Macc and the helmet.

My goodness.

While we're changing everything is there any chance CJ could make a power move to build his own stadium? lol

Who's the munchkin with the big head on the left?

• WTF? 1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:58 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

And that is why mike francessa is the king.  Broke it down beautifully.  If anything thought leveon bell was going to work here this should finalize it for you.  A total disaster of a move.

What is? Firing Mike McCaggnan or signing Leveon Bell? They might BOTH end up being good moves. No one, including Mike Francesa, knows what the hell they are talking about. My God, sports opinion. One of the biggest wastes of time on the planet. Wins and losses matter, nothing else.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He was practically a jets fan when Parcells  was here, was neutral during the Herm years and he loved Mangini

Woody did something to piss off Francesa because he’s been venomous towards the jets ever since around 2008

He is by far the biggest baby on radio. Woody probably just didn’t kiss his arse like he wanted him to. You should have heard how pathetic he was yesterday kissing Aaron Boone arse, then he does his sarcastic trashing of the Mets with Mickey Calloway. 

He hates the Jets now because he knows his giants screwed up royally by not taking darnold, and then taking “Daniel Jones “ the following yr ??

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 7:36 PM, FidelioJet said:

I'm not sure he's anti-Jet - any more than he should be.  He calls it like he sees it.  He's been calling out the Jets for year because the Jets deserved to be called out.

Just like he's calling out the Giants now - because they deserve it.

Lol no. He thought last yr this time the giants were a playoff contender lol. He still thinks Eli is good ?. He is a pathetic giants fan boy. And like Most giant fan boys they root for jets to fail so they don’t look as bad

On 5/15/2019 at 7:33 PM, slimjasi said:

It makes absolutely zero sense to fire a GM in May, after letting him have input on picking the coach, after letting him run FA, and after letting him run the draft. 

Mac was not a good GM, so this could turn out fine, but it looks and feels horrible. 

this is actually one of thebetter times to bring in new scouts and personnel evaluators.  And the Jets definitley need those

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is by far the biggest baby on radio. Woody probably just didn’t kiss his arse like he wanted him to. You should have heard how pathetic he was yesterday kissing Aaron Boone arse, then he does his sarcastic trashing of the Mets with Mickey Calloway. 

He hates the Jets now because he knows his giants screwed up royally by not taking darnold, and then taking “Daniel Jones “ the following yr ??

Did you hear the meltdown Mike had over the Daniel Jones abortion?  Lol

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, southtown24th said:

first of all, grown men don't "lol", so don't "lol" me, ok little boy?

second, Eli cancelled his spot with Mike because they drafted a QB at #6...has nothing to do with Mike. Period.

Mike is a publicity manufacturing genius and those of us who understand how business is done and how to make a dollar can see the forest through the trees.

Don't "lol" me. Just don't do it.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Get over yourself fanboy.

Actually thought Fatcessa was fairly objective in discussing this situation and certainly more so than the rest of the media and fans who were acting like it’s the apocalypse because the jets fired a bad gm in the wrong month

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Mike does have a valid point about Bell that I think merits more scrutiny, namely that by Bell not being here for those workouts helped put Gases' dagger deeper into Macc's back. Maybe Gase and Bell really on same side here?

Bell is gone after next season.  Wut a disaster

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Did you hear the meltdown Mike had over the Daniel Jones abortion?  Lol

Lol yes. I only listen to the guy on my commute home. He was having meltdowns weeks prior if giants pick “Haskins “ I love hearing how wrong this bozo is all the time ha.  some guy called and said he heard giants may take Jones at 6 ! He hung up on the guy thinking he was trolling him lol. Saying” there is no way they take Jones at 6, maybe Haskins, not a qb who is 2nd round grade, Don’t know where these idiots get this stuff “ lol. He also told one Caller “ there is no way Allen is there at 6” lol. 

He is becoming a pathetic laughing stock. Shame the local sport teams  really have little choice who they go to. The giants are not happy with him now though. He is down to one team, Yankees, who will kiss his arse ha