Bad start for gase, SOJ (merged)

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Because in February he believed Maccagnan was worth retaining and in May he felt otherwise, that's why.  People go south in companies all the time.  I've seen people go from corporate Rock Star status to unemployed in less than a week.  Say the wrong thing in a meeting, get caught bad mouthing the CEO, it happens all the time.

Mr. Johnson did the brave thing today.  He got rid of someone he didn't want working for him knowing full well the sh-t storm that would ensue from the SOJ brigade in the media and some pathetic, weakling fans.

SAR I

And what message does it send to the next GM?  

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

No he didnt. The firing should have occurred in January.

Now we need to find a GM willing to get a coach pushed in him. 

This is a joke. 

If you loved your girlfriend in January and found out in May that she was f-cking around behind your back, you dump her in May, not January.  Your mom asks you, "why didn't you dump her in January!" and you respond "she wasn't cheating on me in January!"

A GM and a HC have to get along.  Clearly something happened during the draft and FA process that made Mr. Johnson realize that this forced marriage of Adam and Mike wasn't going to work.  Now that the draft and FA period is over and we're in the lull before camp, perfect time to cut the cord and move on.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How does mac hire gase if they are this far apart on philosophy?

This is all they talked about during the interview process.  How did mac not realize him and gase didnt have the same vision?

Perhaps this was premeditated.  Perhaps Gase is a clever NFL shark who realized that Maccagnan was a quiet pushover and he could take charge quickly, run the whole enchilada.  And perhaps knowing him for the past 3 months Mr. Johnson realized that Gase is better than the imagined and as a result Maccagnan as a troublesome security blanket wasn't needed.

You don't need a GM in May and you don't need to carry a GM you are going to fire all the way through to February.  You cut the cord now and move on.

SAR I

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Peyton Manning doesn't give Gase the glowing reviews, does today happen?  

Maybe this was the plan all along.  Maybe the Jets couldn't find a qualified GM and it was hard enough just to find a qualified HC.

So they brought the HC onboard, told him the GM wasn't going to be here when camp opened, and played Mike like a puppet, doing the dirty work of pre-draft and pre-FA reporting and analytics before making all the decisions and punting him.

We don't know.  What we do know is that Gase is now running the entire team from top to bottom and there are worse scenarios than that.  I like the guy.  He's a crazy animal.  Crazy animals win in the NFL.  This ain't ballet.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Maybe this was the plan all along.  Maybe the Jets couldn't find a qualified GM and it was hard enough just to find a qualified HC.

So they brought the HC onboard, told him the GM wasn't going to be here when camp opened, and played Mike like a puppet, doing the dirty work of pre-draft and pre-FA reporting and analytics before making all the decisions and punting him.

We don't know.  What we do know is that Gase is now running the entire team from top to bottom and there are worse scenarios than that.  I like the guy.  He's a crazy animal.  Crazy animals win in the NFL.  This ain't ballet.

SAR I

I hope it will work out but let's be honest - you like anything the Jets do.  

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

How many of our draft pics are signed.  I only heard Wesco. Who works those contract out? Who implements a brand new system for our offense? Who monitors other teams rosters in anticipation of cuts or trades for rights to those would be cuts?

You don't need a GM to sign draft picks when there is only that one weird clause in a rookie contract that only bizarre agents ask for and everything else is boiler plate.

The Jets have a scouting and player personnel division, I'm guessing about 30+ people in Florham Park.  And just like in any other billion dollar business, there are plenty of junior executives ready to move up the ladder and plenty of financial consultants to confer with on the non-football side of things.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

The only bad thing about this is the leak that came out today with Gase not wanting Bell+Mosley. Which I don’t believe, just hope Bell doesn’t get wrapped up in it 

Shots fired.  Bell now knows who the boss is and he better not cross him.  A funny thing happens when a dysfunctional franchise throws all of its muscle behind a single head coach without a middling GM's shoulder to cry on; they suddenly become very functional.  It's quite simple now.  Do it Adam's way or goodbye.  I like it.

SAR I

I just dont understand how anyone here can look at whats happened today and feel good.  Forget the Mac part of things.  This owner is giving too much power to a coach who hasnt proven he can win as a head coach in the NFL yet.  I just dont understand.  This is a guy who clashes with players/FO staff as proven in his previous position and we just handed him the keys.  Its ridiculous to me.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So if Gase doesn't like Le'veon Bell and they argue all season long it was all fine and dandy with you that the GM (who was on the way out) put all those resources into a player that the HC doesn't want?

I don't believe for one second that Mr. Johnson and Coach Gase didn't want Le'Veon Bell on the team.  Not for one second.  Le'Veon didn't come here to play for Mike Maccagnan.  He came here to play for Coach Gase.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I don't believe for one second that Mr. Johnson and Coach Gase didn't want Le'Veon Bell on the team.  Not for one second.  Le'Veon didn't come here to play for Mike Maccagnan.  He came here to play for Coach Gase.

SAR I

Bell came here because the Jets paid him the most to come here.  No other reason.  Lets not try to spin the obvious.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

My point is larger than the one example I gave.  The point is "why allow a GM - who may or may not be on the same page as the HC - to run your draft and spend $100M in FA when you're just going to replace him?"

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you loved your girlfriend in January and found out in May that she was f-cking around behind your back, you dump her in May, not January.  Your mom asks you, "why didn't you dump her in January!" and you respond "she wasn't cheating on me in January!"

A GM and a HC have to get along.  Clearly something happened during the draft and FA process that made Mr. Johnson realize that this forced marriage of Adam and Mike wasn't going to work.  Now that the draft and FA period is over and we're in the lull before camp, perfect time to cut the cord and move on.

SAR I

You're second paragraph hits the nail on the head in my opinion.  The smartest thing I've read today.  Like it is always said, if the team stinks, you can't fire the entire roster, you fire the head coach.

In this situation, you've just hired the head coach, and the GM and coach can't get along.  One of them had to go, and you're not going to fire the head coach you just hired.

I think by getting rid of Lee, Gase (Williams) is also making a statement that he is happy with the linebackers he currently has.  If your were going to not keep Lee on the roster in September, you would have had to cut him.  Now is the best time to trade him if he had no shot of making the roster.

Trading Lee for a low 6th round pick sucks though.  If Lee was a 4th round pick when the Jets got him, we would have been satisfied.  Lee is better than a 6th round pick, and that is exactly why Kansas City made the trade.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Poor analogy. Macc should have been fired for his lack of good performance as a GM going back to the end of the 2015 season. 

Macc's raging stupidity has been well documented well before Gase was even dismissed from Miami.

In otherwords, you should have fired Macc for the same reasons you fired Bowles.

6 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I just dont understand how anyone here can look at whats happened today and feel good.  Forget the Mac part of things.  This owner is giving too much power to a coach who hasnt proven he can win as a head coach in the NFL yet.  I just dont understand.  This is a guy who clashes with players/FO staff as proven in his previous position and we just handed him the keys.  Its ridiculous to me.

I sincerely do not understand how anyone can feel other than good. Late or not the Jets fired an incompetent GM that was hurting this team. He was worse than Idzik. Finally our owner wised up.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Because in February he believed Maccagnan was worth retaining and in May he felt otherwise, that's why.  People go south in companies all the time.  I've seen people go from corporate Rock Star status to unemployed in less than a week.  Say the wrong thing in a meeting, get caught bad mouthing the CEO, it happens all the time.

Mr. Johnson did the brave thing today.  He got rid of someone he didn't want working for him knowing full well the sh-t storm that would ensue from the SOJ brigade in the media and some pathetic, weakling fans.

SAR I

Do you honestly believe this BS? The Johnson's are terrible at this. Dolan's part 2.

14 minutes ago, Matt X said:

Just when I was feeling good about the Jets, they make another move that makes me feel like crap and mutter to myself "same old jets".

The fans are self loathing SOJFs lead by king idiot and self loathing Joe Beningo 

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The fans are self loathing SOJFs lead by king idiot and self loathing Joe Beningo 

Are you saying that Jet fans being negative about this move (or the general ineptitude of this franchise) is completely uncalled for?  

• Upvote 3

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

All I read this board for over a year wss constant complaining about Mac. Numerous threads discussing his incompetence. Now he is fired and the complaining continues. It just doesn’t stop!

A GM with a 24-40 record!!!  KC did the same thing two years ago when they let Dorsey go after the draft.

Get over it!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2

28 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No not self loathing.  Loathing that those that run the team can't seem to ever do things logically and properly.

To the point that if the team does something half assed it is praised as "The owner screwed up but at least he tried to fix his screw up."

• Upvote 2

Just now, Beerfish said:

No not self loathing.  Loathing that those that run the team can't seem to ever do things logically and properly.

To the point that if the team does something half assed it is praised as "The owner screwed up but at least he tried to fix his screw up."

The Chiefs fired their GM after the draft a couple of years ago. This isn’t unique! Can we at least wait a year or two to see how this works out before we complain? It ridiculous the reaction to everything. And yes Joe Beningo is a total jackass!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Chiefs fired their GM after the draft a couple of years ago. This isn’t unique! Can we at least wait a year or two to see how this works out before we complain? It ridiculous the reaction to everything. And yes Joe Beningo is a total jackass!!

I could care less about joe begnino.  I could care less about the chiefs.

The owner failed to fire the GM at the proper time and then did so after he had made all sorts of moves the new coach seems to not like.  Its just another jets ownership fail.

Now we have handed the whole team over to adam gase.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

The owner failed to fire the GM at the proper time and then did so after he had made all sorts of moves the new coach seems to not like.  Its just another jets ownership fail.

Let’s see how it works out. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Exactly.  No one, other than a few Maccagnan apologists is upset over him being fired.  It’s that it was done 5 months too late.  Now, the same cycle continues.  This was an incredibly important offseason and Chris Johnson allowed an incompetent GM to spend all their money.   Because the Johnsons know nothing about the NFL, and have zero ability to find coaches and GMs on their own, they were too scared to make the right decision in January.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is the part that concerns me.  Macc is gone.  I am glad he is gone; I wanted it for the past 2 seasons.  Hopefully we get a solid GM in here quickly, but Gase with too much power scares me.  He does not have the track record to have earned it like Andy Reid did in KC.   I am going to hope for the best; I am going to hope it works out.  Hopefully we get this guy Douglas from Philly and he can work well with aGase and together they can get the franchise moving in the right direction.  But it just seems like such a mess right now that could have been avoided had we done things the right way back in January, but that didn'e happen.  Just have to hope for the best right now (which is what I have been doing for most of the lasts 50 years only to be disappointed).

Anyway, it is what it is right now.  Go Jets!!!

• Upvote 1

Its not so much the firing of the GM who was questionable, but its letting Gase who is unproven call all the shots. To me its the SOJ who haven't won a SB since 1968 season. I am long suffering and have earned the right to feel this way!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is the part that concerns me.  Macc is gone.  I am glad he is gone; I wanted it for the past 2 seasons.  Hopefully we get a solid GM in here quickly, but Gase with too much power scares me.  He does not have the track record to have earned it like Andy Reid did in KC.   I am going to hope for the best; I am going to hope it works out.  Hopefully we get this guy Douglas from Philly and he can work well with aGase and together they can get the franchise moving in the right direction.  But it just seems like such a mess right now that could have been avoided had we done things the right way back in January, but that didn'e happen.  Just have to hope for the best right now (which is what I have been doing for most of the lasts 50 years only to be disappointed).

Anyway, it is what it is right now.  Go Jets!!!

It's like I said in the other thread, it's both scary and exciting.  Scary because I personally have no faith in Gase but exciting because he might just the type of egomaniac psycho this team needs to rid the franchise of incompetence.  

Gase definitely has a much stronger NFL circle than Mac or the Johnson's.  I'm intrigued to see what happens from here. 

If he fails, oh well, par for the course.  If he succeeds and Sam becomes elite, get yer Darnold boner pants ready!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's like I said in the other thread, it's both scary and exciting.  Scary because I personally have no faith in Gase but exciting because he might just the type of egomaniac psycho this team needs to rid the franchise of incompetence.  

Gase definitely has a much stronger NFL circle than Mac or the Johnson's.  I'm intrigued to see what happens from here. 

If he fails, oh well, par for the course.  If he succeeds and Sam becomes elite, get yer Darnold boner pants ready!

This is a good point. The first-time head coach/GM trend with the Jets have meant we have had guys who bend to the whims of the owners because this is their first job and they don't have any cache yet. I don't really have much confidence in Gase working out long-term but I'd hope that the next front office group doesn't just draft only 3 different positions in the first round, which was a trend that outlasted Bradway, Bauer, and Mac, signifying that the dumbass owners are the ones who want this 1980s template built.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.  No one, other than a few Maccagnan apologists is upset over him being fired.  It’s that it was done 5 months too late.  Now, the same cycle continues.  This was an incredibly important offseason and Chris Johnson allowed an incompetent GM to spend all their money.   Because the Johnsons know nothing about the NFL, and have zero ability to find coaches and GMs on their own, they were too scared to make the right decision in January.  

Not any more complex than this. The Cliff Notes version of the last 20 years.

• Upvote 1