Bad start for gase, SOJ (merged)

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Maccagnan was here to serve Gase and they didn't get along.  So Mike is gone.  And now it's abundantly clear who is running this show and every front office executive, every scout, every coach, and every player knows who is boss.  That is the exact opposite of dysfunction.  That is something to be excited about.  We haven't had an ass-kicking big boss since Bill Parcells.  No, Adam Gase is not Bill Parcells.  But give a guy like Gase the keys to the kingdom and you may find out he is.  Gase is an animal.  He killed Maccagnan, let him go kill the AFC East.

SAR I

again correct.  mccagnan received a stay of execution with the proviso that gase liked and respected him and wanted to work with him.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, usapaw said:

Do you honestly believe this BS? The Johnson's are terrible at this. Dolan's part 2.

Terrible at what?

Woody Johnson stepped into the Parcells resignation mess and set us on a course for the best 12 year run we've ever had averaging 9 wins per year with a healthy quarterback, a division title, 6 playoff wins, and restored respect to the organization.  His $400 million dollar investment is now worth $3 billion.  Man, what a failure.

Christopher Johnson stepped into the remains of the Ryan/Idzik mess and now has us perched to be the one team in the AFC East to be ready to rattle off 12 wins when B&B retire in 2-3 years.  He shrewdly traded up into position to grab Sam Darnold changing the course of the franchise for the next decade.  For only the second time since Vietnam we have finally hired a head coach with prior coaching experience and one from the offensive side of the ball.  Man, what a failure.

The "BS" going around is from defeatist Jets fans who don't know how to act when things are actually going well.  Yesterday was a good day.  Back pages and water cooler teasing don't matter.  This is football.  Man up.  Your team got better yesterday.  Ain't no dysfunction anymore.  Quite clear who is calling the shots in Florham Park now.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Terrible at what?

Woody Johnson stepped into the Parcells resignation mess and set us on a course for the best 12 year run we've ever had averaging 9 wins per year with a healthy quarterback, a division title, four playoff wins, and restored respect to the organization.  His $400 million dollar investment is now worth $3 billion.  Man, what a failure.

Christopher Johnson stepped into the remains of the Ryan/Idzik mess and now has us perched to be the one team in the AFC East to be ready to rattle off 12 wins when B&B retire in 2-3 years.  For only the second time since Vietnam we have finally hired a head coach with prior coaching experience and one from the offensive side of the ball.  He shrewdly traded up into position to grab Sam Darnold changing the course of the franchise for the next decade.  Man, what a failure.

The "BS" going around is from defeatist Jets fans who don't know how to act when things are actually going well.  Yesterday was a good day.  Back pages and water cooler teasing don't matter.  This is football.  Man up. 

SAR I

basically nobody wanted mccagnan a few weeks ago.  now that he's gone everyone is complaining.  also the rumored gm candidates would be an upgrade.  

before the draft a poll was taken which ranked gms, mccagnan was bottom 5.  the jets could hire anyone from any other front office and not be worse off.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

comparing your gf to running a complex organization has to be on the silliest things I heard in a while 

Looking for any excuse to feel bad about yourself and your football team has to be one of the most pathetic things I have read in awhile.

God I hate the Mets and what they've done to so many Jets fans.  Follow the Yankees, I beg you.  The Jets look more like them today than they did yesterday.  Johnson sure looks like Steinbrenner and Gase sure looks like Martin.  Animals.  Not p*ssies like so many of you crying at CitiField.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

also, it's not like they gave mccagnan $100 million on a credit card and let him buy whatever he wanted.  every signing was vetted by cj and gase anyway.  sure there are rumblings that gase may not have wanted to pay that much for bell, but he sure is way better than anything else they have here.  

i don't think there was much disagreement on FA.  FA is an unpredictable process where a guy like Barr says he's coming and then renegs.  social media also factors into how ugly it can get.  i think the rift was b/c of how they used draft currency and stuff like getting rid of darron lee, a guy who was suspended for drugs who the dolphins abused and gase thought sucked.

This.

It also could have been calculated.  The Jets may have been shopping for a GM in December and found out that no one wanted to come here.  So they kept Maccagnan, let him do all the hard work prepping for the draft and FA and then took the reins and called all the shots on picks and signings.  After the process is over, let the guy go.  The end result is that now you have the very first crack at the GM candidates, not the last.  And you get someone guaranteed to get along with your HC because you believe in your HC.

Bottom line:  Anyone who thinks that Gase and Johnson played golf in April while Macagnan built the 2019 roster seriously needs his head examined as that's just about the dumbest thing anyone could believe.  This is a $3 billion dollar organization.  Johnson and Gase made every decision.  And they probably had to fight Maccagnan too many times, thus the reason he is gone.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im getting that feeling too.  Could see Gase have reservations about Macc after the FA period and CJ seeing the difference between the passive Macc and decisive Gase

I agree. He made the decision that Gase will be a decisive leader. A friend of mine that I worked with for years played football at ND for Lou Holtz. Among many great stories he would tell, was this famous Holtz quote..." men crave to be led, just don't lead them off the side of a cliff." Time will tell where Gase is leading us.?

• Upvote 1

Here's why I think this is a bad look, and will turn out to be an even worse move for the Jets, and it has nothing to do with Macc, 

Adam Gase has gone in a few months from being a sub .500 coach who was fired in Miami, to the HC, play caller, QB coach, Offensive coordinator and now GM of the NY Jets. All without winning a single game. To make things worse, the only thing he HAS done here is validate the concerns some people had about him being hard to get along with, and being unable to avoid controversy.

Since the OBJ trade, and the drafting of Daniel Jones, the Giants were the new joke of NY football. We couldn't even let one month go by before we took our place back at the top of that mountain. Gettleman, Mara and Tisch are thanking us today....  

45 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree. He made the decision that Gase will be a decisive leader. A friend of mine that I worked with for years played football at ND for Lou Holtz. Among many great stories he would tell, was this famous Holtz quote..." men crave to be led, just don't lead them off the side of a cliff." Time will tell where Gase is leading us.?

Stuff coming out today.  Hearing on NFLN that Gase came in like a whirlwind, wants everything to be about making decisions and winning football games.  That Macc is a pragmatic, slow mover who has to think and debate every move.  CJ saw the difference and thought that Macc was too slow and tooindecisivee for the position and realized a move had to be made, the sooner the better.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

We can agree the Gase taking total control is concerning, hopefully they announce Joe Douglas soon but we should also agree the Jets are better today then they were on Monday (Mac had to go)

SOJ would have waited until the end of the season, scrambled to find a replacement GM (end up with 2nd or 3rd choice)and not be prepared for next offseason, wasting another year

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

All I read on this board for over a year was constant complaining about Mac. Numerous threads discussing his incompetence. Now he is fired and the complaining continues. It just doesn’t stop!

So you’re saying you don’t see any more to the story than that?  Because if you read practically any of the posts complaining about this move, you’d know people are upset about the timing of this move. Specifically, firing Macc AFTER letting him run FA and the draft.  Also people are wondering what exactly Gase has done to deserve both the HC and GM roles.  And make no mistake that he’s not the “interim GM”.  He runs this franchise.  

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So you’re saying you don’t see any more to the story than that?  Because if you read practically any of the posts complaining about this move, you’d know people are upset about the timing of this move. Specifically, firing Macc AFTER letting him run FA and the draft.  Also people are wondering what exactly Gase has done to deserve both the HC and GM roles.  And make no mistake that he’s not the “interim GM”.  He runs this franchise.  

Let's see how its works out. The final result will be a GM on the same page as the HC, which is an improvement over what we've had previously.  People act like we just fired Lombardi. It should have minimal affect on the team as they don't interact with the GM on a regular basis.

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Let's see how its works out. The final result will be a GM on the same page as the HC, which is an improvement over what we've had previously.  People act like we just fired Lombardi. It should have minimal affect on the team as they don't interact with the GM on a regular basis.

Most people on here wanted Macc fired but again you’re missing the point  If the GM and the HC are not on the same page (and the plan is to fire the GM) then why not fire Macc BEFORE letting him spend $100M and draft players?!  Even if Gase works out, this is still indefensible!  

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't know how many ways I, and others,  have to say this to you. 

Christopher Johnson believed in Maccagnan in February.  Coming out of the draft and FA process he saw something in him that he didn't like so he fired him in May.

As the King Of The Defeatist Jets Fans on JN I don't expect you to understand this, but the CEO of a $3 BILLION dollar corporation didn't allow a guy he was going to fire to run his draft, court free agents, and spend $100M in free agent money.  Maccagnan did something in the past few weeks, perhaps the last few days, to get himself fired.  So he was. 

Walk into your bosses office right now.  Say 5 stupid things that make no sense and are against what your boss believes in.  Then repeat the process tomorrow.  You'll be boxing up your personal items and handing in your ID to HR on Monday.

SAR I

LMAO!  Since the day we drafted Darnold I’ve repeatedly said that I’ve never been more optimistic about this franchise. 

As I previously said, you just are positive about everything they do in the hopes the team eventually gets really good.  Then you can brag about how you're “better” than other jet fans because:

A/ You’re a STH

B/ You weren’t “SOJ”.  You’re part of a “new era” of Jet fans who aren’t negative (and that’s what was killing the franchise, etc)

2 hours ago, jetsons said:

You'll be given ample opportunity; ample time (5yrs) & ample resources (>100m cap) to succeed & if you fail you'll be fired... nothing new.... Plus you'll be in the biggest media market in the country/world & if you relish that then you can't ask for more.... As Ol' Blue Eyes sang... "If I can make there I can make it anywhere."

No, it says “you report to Adam Gase, who completely runs the show here”

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The max firing was the sign of an incompetent run organization. Firing at this point is not leadership it causes confusion and chaos when once again people are Laughing at the jets. 

Reports are this is a gase powerplay. Reports are coming out he complained about paying to much for players that are now on his team which is not true and now they will lose respect for him. Also reports of him already clashing with Williams. Gase better get this under control before the wheels come offs 

It's not true? How the hell do you know? 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I sincerely do not understand how anyone can feel other than good. Late or not the Jets fired an incompetent GM that was hurting this team. He was worse than Idzik. Finally our owner wised up.

You feel good with an ownership group that has shown time and again that they can’t run this franchise? There’s a reason that neither of them run the family business. You feel good with a coach that has a below .500 record and a -423 point differential in 3 years!? Even if you don’t believe the friction rumors of Gase with players and certain coaches, he’s got much more to prove than he’s given clout for. Oh. And it’s still a bottom 10 roster in terms of talent at prime positions. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

If we're the Pittsburgh Steelers or Dallas Cowboys I'd agree with you.  But you seem to forget that the Jets scrape the bottom of the NFL GM and HC barrel every time we create an opening. 

Wait, so because we're not one of the darling's of the league, but instead one of the skidmark's, then it's totally reasonable to continue to do stupid sh*t? 

How was this situation "better"? 

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Most people on here wanted Macc fired but again you’re missing the point  If the GM and the HC are not on the same page (and the plan is to fire the GM) then why not fire Macc BEFORE letting him spend $100M and draft players?!  Even if Gase works out, this is still indefensible!  

No it’s not. The Chiefs did it in 2017. Not that big a deal. It’s done, let’s move on.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

All I read on this board for over a year was constant complaining about Mac. Numerous threads discussing his incompetence. Now he is fired and the complaining continues. It just doesn’t stop!

Winning..would, ya know...help. So how many years of missing the playoffs does it take before complaining is acceptable?

This is the complete opposite of SOJ.  SOJ would have been to fire Macc and Bowles in January, go back to Korn Ferry or some "football people" to tell us who to hire, then rinse and repeat this same type of situation in 4 years.

This was a military coup during which our HC became the Supreme Leader of the organization, who arguably has more power than Chris Johnson at this very moment. 

This is as far from SOJ as you can get.  It may well end in disaster, but this isn't business as usual at all.  This is handing power to a madman, and I for one accept my new Sociopathic Overlord. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Since the OBJ trade, and the drafting of Daniel Jones, the Giants were the new joke of NY football. We couldn't even let one month go by before we took our place back at the top of that mountain. Gettleman, Mara and Tisch are thanking us today....  

Yankees fans don't think about the Mets at all, and most certainly the Giants don't think about the Jets at all.

It's a very curious thing for you to care about.  Our GM gets let go and you're worried about what other people think of you.  Do yourself a favor and stop listening to sports radio and stop reading the newspapers.  They create buzz where there isn't any.  Stop falling for it.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Stuff coming out today.  Hearing on NFLN that Gase came in like a whirlwind, wants everything to be about making decisions and winning football games.  That Macc is a pragmatic, slow mover who has to think and debate every move.  CJ saw the difference and thought that Macc was too slow and tooindecisivee for the position and realized a move had to be made, the sooner the better.

Thank God, a head coach who gets it.  This ain't ballet.  Be decisive, be manipulative, be evil.  Whip those players into shape.  Kick those potheads to the curb.  Restore order.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1.  Maccagnan was fired after the draft because of his behavior during the draft.  Sounds like he was a wimpy waffler.  Our draft wasn't bad, our FA haul is among the league's best.  It was a personality issue.

2.  Gase is very highly regarded by Peyton Manning and is validated by the record-setting Broncos offense he installed in Denver.  Is there someone in the NFL whose opinion you would value more about offensive strategy and leadership than Peyton Manning?  Name him if you can.

For 40 years it's been nothing but rookie head coaches on the defensive side of the ball.  Finally we've got an experienced head coach on the offensive side of the ball.  Let's see how that goes before determining what Adam is or isn't qualified for.  Name a great head coach, no one saw them coming.  Bill Walsh was passed over.  Bill Belichick was a laughing stock.  You never know where the next great head coach comes from.  You have no idea what Gase is or isn't.  So stop your SOJ yapping and get onboard and lets see where this train goes.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Exactly right.

What was Mike Maccagnan going to do between now and Feburary?  Scour the waiver wire for castoffs?  We lost nothing yesterday.  What we gained is a very confident head coach who is sending a very loud and very clear signal to the entire franchise.  Get onboard and get all-in or get the hell off and get the hell out.

We were 10-6 yesterday and we're 10-6 today.  Much ado about nothing.

SAR I

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You feel good with an ownership group that has shown time and again that they can’t run this franchise? There’s a reason that neither of them run the family business. You feel good with a coach that has a below .500 record and a -423 point differential in 3 years!? Even if you don’t believe the friction rumors of Gase with players and certain coaches, he’s got much more to prove than he’s given clout for. Oh. And it’s still a bottom 10 roster in terms of talent at prime positions.  

I feel good about none of those things.  But all of those things were true before we fired Macc, and are true today.  I'm happier with no Macc. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is the complete opposite of SOJ.  SOJ would have been to fire Macc and Bowles in January, go back to Korn Ferry or some "football people" to tell us who to hire, then rinse and repeat this same type of situation in 4 years.

This was a military coup during which our HC became the Supreme Leader of the organization, who arguably has more power than Chris Johnson at this very moment. 

This is as far from SOJ as you can get.  It may well end in disaster, but this isn't business as usual at all.  This is handing power to a madman, and I for one accept my new Sociopathic Overlord. 

YES!

We are now the exact opposite of dysfunctional.  We are extremely functional.  One leader, one goal, one set of rules, no politics.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

For 40 years it's been nothing but rookie head coaches on the defensive side of the ball.  Finally we've got an experienced head coach on the offensive side of the ball.  Let's see how that goes before determining what Adam is or isn't qualified for.  Name a great head coach, no one saw them coming.  Bill Walsh was passed over.  Bill Belichick was a laughing stock.  You never know where the next great head coach comes from.  You have no idea what Gase is or isn't.  So stop your SOJ yapping and get onboard and lets see where this train goes.

SAR I

toot toot..........

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Just think, we get to do this all over again in 2 or 3 years when gase is fired.

Or we look back upon yesterday as the coup that set this franchise on the right course for the next 20 years.

Two years ago, Adam Gase was the hottest HC candidate and the brightest offensive mind in the NFL.  How about we see him coach a single game before flying the "Fire Adam" banners, shall we?

Jets fans are just awful.  You act like losers and so you attract losers.  You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly right.

What was Mike Maccagnan going to do between now and Feburary?  Scour the waiver wire for castoffs?  We lost nothing yesterday.  What we gained is a very confident head coach who is sending a very loud and very clear signal to the entire franchise.  Get onboard and get all-in or get the hell off and get the hell out.

We were 10-6 yesterday and we're 10-6 today.  Much ado about nothing.

SAR I

Quoting for I told you so when this team falls below .500 and Bell bounces in like Week 14. 

Just now, SAR I said:

Or we look back upon yesterday as the coup that set this franchise on the right course for the next 20 years.

Two years ago, Adam Gase was the hottest HC candidate and the brightest offensive mind in the NFL.  How about we see him coach a single game before flying the "Fire Adam" banners, shall we?

Jets fans are just awful.  You act like losers and so you attract losers.  You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

SAR I

23-25. Minus 432 point differential! Let’s see him coach a game!