Anthony "Champ" Kelly quick profile

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Franchise QBs don’t come cheap. 

Meh,  I don't really even like him as a long time Franchise QB. Ex: Darnold would only have to throw for 1800 yds this year to match Trubisky's 2 year total. On top of that I think they could have had him if they stuck. But even if they wanted to be safe, they could have given up the 3rd if they threatened to pull the deal and take their chances. Waaaaay too much to jump up a spot. That was a terrible move and it can confidently be said that they got fleeced. 

fdMQrDcI_bigger.png

Trying to track down the teams that might have competed with Bears for the second pick and have not found one--Jets never called 49ers

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing is obvious

unless you mean obvious in the way that McCarthy was the HC for us.

I mean, some things are obvious, like, if the Jets consider a minority candidate, the same cast of JN posters will call it a Rooney Rule interview.  That’s pretty obvious.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, some things are obvious, like, if the Jets consider a minority candidate, the same cast of JN posters will call it a Rooney Rule interview.  That’s pretty obvious.

Yes, agree, thats 100% right.  

• Upvote 1

Either guy would work for me. If it were me I go with intelligence everytime.  Champ has that going for him. Sure the Bears gave up a lot to get Truibisky but it was a decisive move. They wanted him and made sure they got him. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I think that will work well with Gase and what seems to be a no nonsense philosophy. Probably one of the reasons why Macc was let go was his indecisive mentality when it came to making a move. I don't think you will get that with either guy. So while either guy is okay with me I'm leaning towards Champ just a little bit.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Prior to his run with the Bears, Kelly spent eight seasons with the Denver Broncos. He held the title of Assistant Director of Pro Personnel with the organization while also serving as a scout and Assistant Coordinator of Pro and College Scouting at one point. It was during his time in Denver he had the opportunity to work with Jets head coach Adam Gase. - https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Champ-Kelly-Jets-GM-job-132058727/

One of the unsung heroes of the Chicago Bears and their rise from the ashes of the past five years is Champ Kelly. GM Ryan Pace brought him over from Denver in 2015 to become their Director of Pro Scouting. A job he excelled at, helping them to secure names like Akiem Hicks and Danny Trevathan in free agency. This work earned him a promotion in 2018 to Assistant Director of Player Personnel.

Since then the team has enjoyed arguably its two best offseasons in over a decade. Among their slew of acquisitions include Mitch Trubisky, Eddie Jackson, Tarik Cohen, Allen Robinson, Roquan Smith, Anthony Miller, and Khalil Mack. Kelly played a prominent role in both the scouting and moves to secure all of those names. His importance to their success cannot be understated.

Chicago Bears connections to Jets run deep for Champ Kelly

Few coaches have a better understanding of who Kelly is than Adam Gase. The Jets’ new head coach had a relationship with him that began over a decade ago in Denver. Then the two of them both came to Chicago in 2015 and have seen their careers take off since. Gase earned his head coaching stripes after one season and Kelly was later promoted.

It would make perfect sense for the coach want somebody he knows and trusts for the GM position. Similar to what Bill Belichick has done with Nick Caserio and Jon Gruden did with Mike Mayock. Whether Kelly will want to take a position where he’s unlikely to have ultimate say in the roster composition? That’s impossible to predict.

Unfortunately, in these sort of situations, a man is almost guaranteed to garner attention from other NFL team. That appears to be the case as Kelly has emerged as a prominent name in the New York Jets’ search for a new general manager according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Still, given the lack of minority GMs in the league these days, it seems like it would be a hard offer to pass up. If that were to happen, it would be a tough loss for the Bears.

Heart Power Inc - 

https://heartpowerinc.org/

Anthony “Champ” Kelly, President

Anthony “Champ” Kelly serves as President of the Board of Directors of Heart Power, Inc. Champ just completed his first season as the Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the Chicago Bears. In his current position, Champ is responsible for the evaluation and acquisition of free agents, in addition to advance scouting and compiling research for the club. Champ began his NFL personnel experience with the Denver Broncos where he served in both the college and pro departments. He spent his last five seasons as the club’s Assistant Director of Pro Personnel. Champ was hired by the Broncos after working as the general manager and wide receivers coach for the Lexington Horsemen of United Indoor Football during their 2007 campaign. Champ previously worked for IBM, and is proficient in computer programming and software development. Champ is a graduate from the University of Kentucky, where he received his undergraduate degree in Computer Science and his Masters Degree in Business Administration. Champ is married to Stephanie and they have three beautiful daughters, Claire Alaina, Chloe Grace, and Caroline Elise.

Thank you for coming in, we will get back to you soon.

giphy.gif

Either guy could work out or suck like Mac and Idzik. The Peter Principle is the worry here with anyone being hired as a first time GM.

I'm pulling for Douglas b/c I think he's the closest to being ready to be a GM.  I'll be much more optimistic about him than I was with Idzik or Mac.

28 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Champ Kelly would be a huge win. 

Joe Douglas would be a huge win. 

Either one will be the best GM this team has had since.....well, a looong time ago.

Thing is fans outside of Philly and Chicago know little about both men. We as Jets fans knew a bit about Himandinger but fans of 31 other teams knew little about him till last week. Just a comparison of knowledge. With the little knowledge we have about both I would favor Douglas. By all accounts Philly wants to keep him, tells me there is value in his abilities. Kelly bye all accounts from the talking heads is a viable candidate. Can’t wait too read positive threads and get away from the negativity.

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Prior to his run with the Bears, Kelly spent eight seasons with the Denver Broncos. He held the title of Assistant Director of Pro Personnel with the organization while also serving as a scout and Assistant Coordinator of Pro and College Scouting at one point. It was during his time in Denver he had the opportunity to work with Jets head coach Adam Gase. - https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Champ-Kelly-Jets-GM-job-132058727/

One of the unsung heroes of the Chicago Bears and their rise from the ashes of the past five years is Champ Kelly. GM Ryan Pace brought him over from Denver in 2015 to become their Director of Pro Scouting. A job he excelled at, helping them to secure names like Akiem Hicks and Danny Trevathan in free agency. This work earned him a promotion in 2018 to Assistant Director of Player Personnel.

Since then the team has enjoyed arguably its two best offseasons in over a decade. Among their slew of acquisitions include Mitch Trubisky, Eddie Jackson, Tarik Cohen, Allen Robinson, Roquan Smith, Anthony Miller, and Khalil Mack. Kelly played a prominent role in both the scouting and moves to secure all of those names. His importance to their success cannot be understated.

Chicago Bears connections to Jets run deep for Champ Kelly

Few coaches have a better understanding of who Kelly is than Adam Gase. The Jets’ new head coach had a relationship with him that began over a decade ago in Denver. Then the two of them both came to Chicago in 2015 and have seen their careers take off since. Gase earned his head coaching stripes after one season and Kelly was later promoted.

It would make perfect sense for the coach want somebody he knows and trusts for the GM position. Similar to what Bill Belichick has done with Nick Caserio and Jon Gruden did with Mike Mayock. Whether Kelly will want to take a position where he’s unlikely to have ultimate say in the roster composition? That’s impossible to predict.

Unfortunately, in these sort of situations, a man is almost guaranteed to garner attention from other NFL team. That appears to be the case as Kelly has emerged as a prominent name in the New York Jets’ search for a new general manager according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Still, given the lack of minority GMs in the league these days, it seems like it would be a hard offer to pass up. If that were to happen, it would be a tough loss for the Bears.

Heart Power Inc - 

https://heartpowerinc.org/

Anthony “Champ” Kelly, President

Anthony “Champ” Kelly serves as President of the Board of Directors of Heart Power, Inc. Champ just completed his first season as the Assistant Director of Player Personnel for the Chicago Bears. In his current position, Champ is responsible for the evaluation and acquisition of free agents, in addition to advance scouting and compiling research for the club. Champ began his NFL personnel experience with the Denver Broncos where he served in both the college and pro departments. He spent his last five seasons as the club’s Assistant Director of Pro Personnel. Champ was hired by the Broncos after working as the general manager and wide receivers coach for the Lexington Horsemen of United Indoor Football during their 2007 campaign. Champ previously worked for IBM, and is proficient in computer programming and software development. Champ is a graduate from the University of Kentucky, where he received his undergraduate degree in Computer Science and his Masters Degree in Business Administration. Champ is married to Stephanie and they have three beautiful daughters, Claire Alaina, Chloe Grace, and Caroline Elise.

How do you actually get the nickname "Champ?"