AbstraKt

Chiefs - Jets Agree to Darron Lee trade

Good trade, he won’t even make their roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gase immediately getting fleeced lol. Couldn't move him fast enough. I wonder who is next?

He got a draft pic for a player that won’t even make KC’s roster and will be out of the league. Hardly fleeced.

• Upvote 1

You dont think he'll make the roster?

Was expecting more return but yeah, the suspension, and the fact that he's not that great. I guess it's about right, actually. 

Nope. He’s a positionless player. He was some pipe dream Bowles had to make him some hybrid linebacker. KC is gonna take a look because he has speed, but ultimately no they’re willing to create some hybrid position that Bowles failed at, he’s not going to make the team. He can’t cover to play safety and he’s too small at LB.

• Upvote 1

At worst ILB depth and a potential comp pick was worth more than what we just got. This is also a low 6th ta boot.  This is the worst trade we've been a part of in quite a while actually. 

He’s not ILB depth. He’s not a LB. he’s not a S either. He was drafted as some Bowles fantasy hybrid player. He has no position in the NFL and is going to be out of the NFL in 6 months.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If there was ever any doubt about the validity of the internal struggle between Gase and Macc, the timing and price of the Lee trade is confirmation.  
It was about 6 hours after Macc was fired and Gase takes one of his 1st rd picks and ships him off for a low 6th.  That's football speak for F*CK YOU BUDDY! 
Let's just hope there isn't a wave of emotionally motivated F U moves coming around the bend. I'd prefer cooler heads prevail thank you. 

I think it was more of a “holy sh*t I’m getting something in return for a guy who has no position in the NFL”.

Well neither of us know what the FA landscape looks like next year for the Jets, but I am not so sure that's accurate. That said, it's useless to argue. That's why I used the word potential there. (ya like that?)  

Let's assume he had no positional value like you said, you don't think, as training camps move on and the injuries pile up that Lee's value wouldn't rise past a 6th from the Chiefs?  I do.  Now this can be considered nit picking, but I just don't see the rush here. I think this has much more to do with the statement Gase is making to Macc on his way out which is Go F yourself than any real football value. I wish everyone would just accept that and quit trying to make this a smart move. It's simply not. 

No. It’s this simple. He has no value as a LB. KC is tossing a late 6th rounder to see if they can plug him in as a hybrid player in spot situations. Lee is not and will never be an option at LB, backup or otherwise, for anyone in the NFL. As soon as KC has an injury at any other position and need roster space Lee will be cut. He might get a mid season look from another team but the smart money says he’s out of the league by the 2020 season.

He has no position in the NFL. He was Todd Bowles pet project hybrid nonsense position and it turned out he couldn’t do that either.

And yes, the timing of the move was absolutely a **** you to Macc, as in “hey Macc you indecisive imbecile here’s what you should’ve done a month ago”

• Upvote 2

You don't understand? So no young players who previously looked sucky under substandard coaching will improve by virtue of Gase's (and/or Williams's) coaching. That is your inference, to which I was alluding. 
I think it's presumptuous to guess reasons why Crazy Eyes wants or doesn't want anything just yet.
I wanted Maccagnan gone. I'm happy he is gone, even if it's years late. That doesn't therefore make Gase a good GM, nor even a better one than the dufus he's interim-replacing. If Macc rather than Gase had traded Lee for a late 6th round pick a full season later I'd be no less critical, and I sense many are giving Gase an unearned benefit of the doubt here. 
Sometimes a player has more value to a team than he has on a trade market. Especially when teams are flooded with 90-player rosters after the FA wave and draft is over. I'd have waited for an injury to any of 31 other teams (including KC), as I don't see the rush to move him in mid-May. But I'm not coaching the team so admittedly I have that luxury.

More likely a player that starts on a team for years because the FO and former coach are trying to save face for the fact they wasted a first round puck on a guy who’s not good at all. Trust me, Darren Lee will not be in the league in 2020.

In that case the trade will look better in hindsight.

Right now he's a physically healthy, 24 year-old, 3 year starter coming off a glorious top-25 PFF ranking lol.

Not everyone sees him as talentless. This time in 2017 no one was offering a 2nd rounder for Richardson. At the end of the summer Seattle made the calculation that they'd probably/hopefully recoup a 3rd round comp pick a year later so they weren't giving up much even if they didn't extend him. Sometimes situations and perceptions change that cause a player's value to rise higher than it was 3 weeks after the draft.

Or he could be in rehab in KC in a month and never plays again. Too early to say.

Actually pretty much the entire league sees him as talentless. For a 24yo “pff top 25” player you’d think there’d be some offers. Nobody wants this guy playing LB for them. Victor Hobson was a 2nd round pick starter for us for years, had some decent stats and was 27 when we cut him. Pats took a look, cut him in camp and he was out of the league. Quentin Coples has some reasonable stats too, out of the league shortly after we cut him.

The indictment is the fact we took him and started him in the first place, not that we got nothing in return.

Imagine what you all been saying if Mac was the one who gave up Lee for some trash 6th rounder? 
Exactly...

I’d have no problem with it all, except the fact he should’ve done it before this years draft so we could actually have some value in return on the field this year.

• Upvote 1

I’m sorry he’s coming off a decent year with tackles and interceptions. Worth way more then a 6th. 

Funny, he’d be worth more if teams were clamoring to offer more. His problem is he doesn’t have a position, he’s a liability as a LB

• Upvote 1

This is so totally off the wall absurd. I'll almost guarantee he makes their roster. The only thing that could stop Lee is if he gets in trouble again. Lee is as dumb as a brick, so I suppose it's possible.

He doesn’t have a position. He’s a liability as a LB, not aggressive or fast enough to play SS, and can’t cover to play FS. He was drafted as a hybrid player that Bowles created in AZ, except Lee wasn’t good enough to play that role.

The bottom line is NFL teams do not like holding a roster spot up for a guy that is not a viable backup at the position. Injuries happen and roster spots are way too valuable. Lee will go the way of Hobson, Coples, Pryor, Rhodes. All guys that Jets fans either substantially overrated on the field, or stubbornly felt the player was worth more simply because he was drafted high. All this talk about how we should’ve gotten more in return, you people act like we turned down higher offers because we like KC lol.

Any thoughts that holding onto Lee a little longer may have increased his trade value with the injury to ILB Reuben Foster of the Washington Redskins?

Sure I will, Lee is not a LB. no team in the NFL is looking at him as a viable option to be a starter. Why do you think KC held steadfast at a low 6th round compensation and not give up a 5th? A late 6th rounder is worth a flyer that you’re not married to. A 5th rounder is where you enter the territory of really needing that player to make the roster in some fashion. If they cut Lee it’s no real skin off their back.

But Foster going down has nothing to do with Lee. No one considers him as a viable starting LB.

We will end up being the losers of this trade. I am calling it now Lee will actually have a good bit of success with kc

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Won’t even make it through the season.

Even after a week, I still can't get to a place where I can feel good about this trade. The more I think about it, I think it's the timing the really bugs me the most. If you're willing to accept next to nothing for him, why did it need to be done right now? Look at all the injuries just in OTAs/mini camps. If we held him a couple more months we might have been able to take advantage of an injury. 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed he ends up being a bottom of the list free agent next year and not the flip side of the Anderson trade 

Injury for what? Darren Lee in no way shape or form is a starting NFL LB. no team is looking at him as such. None. If they were then a team easily would have offered more for him. Luvu is straight up better than Lee. You guys are all butthurt that we didn’t get some imaginary value for him that was never offered. You act like we turned down a bunch of 5th round offers to take KC’s 6th. Darren Lee is too small to play LB in the NFL. Funny thing is this entire board called that fact when he was drafted and somehow are now thinking we should’ve gotten more for him when that fact came true.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company