AbstraKt

Chiefs - Jets Agree to Darron Lee trade

So Gase is clearly a big fan.

Don't really have a problem with this though.  If not this, the most he'd contribute would be spending the year as a backup before walking for nothing, while also possibly not even making it out of camp.  The only reason for additional comittment to Lee was Macc's desperation to not make himself look like an even bigger idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

At worst ILB depth and a potential comp pick was worth more than what we just got. This is also a low 6th ta boot.  This is the worst trade we've been a part of in quite a while actually. 

There's zero chance the Jets will be inactive enough in FA next year to be getting comp picks, so you can throw out that idea.  It's ultimately the question if a one-year guaranteed backup is worth the Jets' giving up a 6th round pick for, because that's what they would be doing by turning down this deal.

Don't get me wrong, if you would've asked me 5 months ago, I would've been adamantly opposed to such a trade, but the ridiculous Mosley deal made Lee completely meaningless to this team.  Combine that with the re-sigining of Hewitt, drafting of Cashman, and reports of general distaste that both Gase and Williams had for Lee, he had a very real chance of not even making this team.  Something is better than nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Honestly hate this trade, I'd rather have rolled the dice on a change of position than save $1.8M and a late 6th.

What other position do you think he could possibly play?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well neither of us know what the FA landscape looks like next year for the Jets, but I am not so sure that's accurate. That said, it's useless to argue. That's why I used the word potential there. (ya like that?) :) 

Let's assume he had no positional value like you said, you don't think, as training camps move on and the injuries pile up that Lee's value wouldn't rise past a 6th from the Chiefs?  I do.  Now this can be considered nit picking, but I just don't see the rush here. I think this has much more to do with the statement Gase is making to Macc on his way out which is Go F yourself than any real football value. I wish everyone would just accept that and quit trying to make this a smart move. It's simply not. 

I hated the Gase hire, so I have no interest in defending him, but if the reports are true that this was an ongoing negotiation with KC, and it was only a difference of Maccagnan pushing for a higher pick (5th) and Gase accepting their offer (6th), it sounds like they really just wanted him off the team.  If that's the case, dragging a guy like that into camp may not go well.

Don't get me wrong, the move is nothing worth being celebrated, given how low of a return it was, but a disappointing player with a bad reputation relegated to backup duty that is not thought well of by his new HC or DC is hardly someone to get worked up over either.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't understand? So no young players who previously looked sucky under substandard coaching will improve by virtue of Gase's (and/or Williams's) coaching. That is your inference, to which I was alluding. 

I think it's presumptuous to guess reasons why Crazy Eyes wants or doesn't want anything just yet.

I wanted Maccagnan gone. I'm happy he is gone, even if it's years late. That doesn't therefore make Gase a good GM, nor even a better one than the dufus he's interim-replacing. If Macc rather than Gase had traded Lee for a late 6th round pick a full season later I'd be no less critical, and I sense many are giving Gase an unearned benefit of the doubt here. 

Sometimes a player has more value to a team than he has on a trade market. Especially when teams are flooded with 90-player rosters after the FA wave and draft is over. I'd have waited for an injury to any of 31 other teams (including KC), as I don't see the rush to move him in mid-May. But I'm not coaching the team so admittedly I have that luxury.

While I agree there was potential to get more for him at some point, it was far from a guarantee, and at this point it almost seems to have been a foregone conclusion that Lee was not going to be on the team this year (how good/bad of a mindset that is, is another argument).  If that's truly the case, I don't think this is a great coup, but not a big negative either.  That is of course assuming this is an outlier, and not any type of regular occurrence to come, which would of course mean very different things.

From my perspective, as low-value as 6th round pick may be, I would give no support to the Jets trading theirs for a player on a one-year deal, that they would have no interest in extending, who would be definitively locked into a backup role at a position the team has already invested excessive /  record-breaking amounts of money in multiple starters, plus added backup FA signings/draft picks as well.  That's what the Jets would ultimately be doing by turning down the deal, so I don't really blame them too much.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company