AbstraKt

Chiefs - Jets Agree to Darron Lee trade

13 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

And Not a top of the round 6th like the giantS would have brought us, this one is almost a 7th ha

My thoughts exactly. This is just dumb. We have a non GM GM making playing with daddy's tool box. 

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i should think williams had some input.  6th seems pretty cheap for lee.  there may be something else going on besides his play on the field.

Wishful thinking buddy. This is just Gase getting chump change returns before he had to.

Embrace the response everyone wanted. This is gonna be good times I'm feeling. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

6th round pick? Gimme a break.  We would've been better off keeping him at least through camp instead of just giving him away.

This trade sucks. If Macc made it people would be screaming what an idiot he is!!!

That said, I called this earlier today. Now we find out what Gase thinks of Leo and some of Macc's other picks.... This is going to get crazy.

Crazy. This is flat our stupidity.  Macc used a 5th to get KO and a 6th.  Gase gets a low 6th for Lee.  Unreal.  

The chiefs are laughing at the laughing stock Jets

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

So Gase is clearly a big fan.

Don't really have a problem with this though.  If not this, the most he'd contribute would be spending the year as a backup before walking for nothing, while also possibly not even making it out of camp.  The only reason for additional comittment to Lee was Macc's desperation to not make himself look like an even bigger idiot.

At worst ILB depth and a potential comp pick was worth more than what we just got. This is also a low 6th ta boot.  This is the worst trade we've been a part of in quite a while actually. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If there was ever any doubt about the validity of the internal struggle between Gase and Macc, the timing and price of the Lee trade is confirmation.  

It was about 6 hours after Macc was fired and Gase takes one of his 1st rd picks and ships him off for a low 6th.  That's football speak for F*CK YOU BUDDY! 

Let's just hope there isn't a wave of emotionally motivated F U moves coming around the bend. I'd prefer cooler heads prevail thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's zero chance the Jets will be inactive enough in FA next year to be getting comp picks, so you can throw out that idea.  It's ultimately the question if a one-year guaranteed backup is worth the Jets' giving up a 6th round pick for, because that's what they would be doing by turning down this deal.

Don't get me wrong, if you would've asked me 5 months ago, I would've been adamantly opposed to such a trade, but the ridiculous Mosley deal made Lee completely meaningless to this team.  Combine that with the re-sigining of Hewitt, drafting of Cashman, and reports of general distaste that both Gase and Williams had for Lee, he had a very real chance of not even making this team.  Something is better than nothing.

Well neither of us know what the FA landscape looks like next year for the Jets, but I am not so sure that's accurate. That said, it's useless to argue. That's why I used the word potential there. (ya like that?) :) 

Let's assume he had no positional value like you said, you don't think, as training camps move on and the injuries pile up that Lee's value wouldn't rise past a 6th from the Chiefs?  I do.  Now this can be considered nit picking, but I just don't see the rush here. I think this has much more to do with the statement Gase is making to Macc on his way out which is Go F yourself than any real football value. I wish everyone would just accept that and quit trying to make this a smart move. It's simply not. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I think it was more of a “holy sh*t I’m getting something in return for a guy who has no position in the NFL”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're wrong.  

16 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He’s not ILB depth. He’s not a LB. he’s not a S either. He was drafted as some Bowles fantasy hybrid player. He has no position in the NFL and is going to be out of the NFL in 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are saying that the Chiefs are a slapdick org that just throws 6th rd picks away for guys with no position? It's great for Gase to get a 6th, bit the 6th is meaningless in KC?  lol    Like Gase fleeced Reid???  hahaha come on man. 

Are you really believing this stuff you're writing to try and make sense of this and have it be in your opinion's favor?  This is an F U move and a bad one at that. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I hated the Gase hire, so I have no interest in defending him, but if the reports are true that this was an ongoing negotiation with KC, and it was only a difference of Maccagnan pushing for a higher pick (5th) and Gase accepting their offer (6th), it sounds like they really just wanted him off the team.  If that's the case, dragging a guy like that into camp may not go well.

Don't get me wrong, the move is nothing worth being celebrated, given how low of a return it was, but a disappointing player with a bad reputation relegated to backup duty that is not thought well of by his new HC or DC is hardly someone to get worked up over either.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with that point. My more important point is the way it was allowed to be done.  Then again there is the possibility that Gase was jus tired of having it on the table. I haven't read anything about the on going negotiation aspect of it yet either so I may be in the dark there. 

Either way our org is a bit on the slapstick side of the NFL. Consistent material for everyone else to have fun with. 

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

According to Breer the Jets had been talking to the Chiefs for weeks about this trade. Macc was stuck on getting a 5th and the Chiefs wouldn't budge. Once Macc was canned the Chiefs called to see if Gase was willing to do it for the 6th and he was. Macc was worried about how the trade would look and Gase has no attachment to Lee so he couldn't care less about the optics.

That's interesting. I haven't seen that one yet.  I read like 15 different articles and that point hasn't crossed my path. That helps a bit. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

But that still doesn't mean he should have been retained. Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Tim Tebow, etc.? Tanny's ouster was richly DESERVED.

The salary cap hell he put us in was another big reason for his ouster. 

I just heard an interesting thing on Sirius XM. They were talking about player movement etc.
the one guy Bruce Murray maybe was talking about his days in Cincy. The Owner would say that if you were going to cut a guy and there were more than 2 waiver claims then you did a bad job as the dir of player personnel. If there were more than 2 that means the player has value on the market. You can get a low pick or at worst another player to take a shot on. The really good guys have this understood and rarely cut players with any value. That was really interesting and supports why we need a Full time GM right away.

Gase just cut legget and there were 5 waiver claims. Could have gotten a project C or G or CB potentially for him. Someone the other team was going to cut.

I look forward to being a team that plays this offseason game at a high level. So much lord potential when it’s done well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

Lee shoulda been cut.  We got a 6th.  Tom Brady and Terrell Davis were picked in the 6th rd

Just saying that we got a 6th nullifies your point that he should have been cut. Good FO’s know how to maximize value. You don’t throw valuable assets in the trash. We should have held out for at least a 5th for Lee and we most likely could have gotten something fir legget as well.

5 waiver claims.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company