Chiefs - Jets Agree to Darron Lee trade

12 hours ago, Pac said:

Everyone wanted Sheldon out.

Macc got a 2nd and a starting WR with the pick being integral to landing our franchise QB.

Gase gave Lee away for nothing..  it was an abysmal trade..  like real bad.

are you nuts? Comparing sheldon to lee?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

The value in a market is determined by what buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept.   I am sure the Jets contacted 28 teams to unload Lee and this is the best that they could do. 

Thats exactly right. And the bottom line in this matter.

Lee sucks, and the best they could get was a 6th for him. The whole league knew the jets wanted to move him but nobody wanted him.

So posters can spin this all they want but thats the bottom lin. GREAT job by Gase and the Jets!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets have something like 20 players on one-year or the last year of their deals on the roster. Even if they're active in free agency, they could still wind up losing more free agents than they sign. If they plan on letting guys like Leo and/or Robby walk, they'll need to make sure they sign fewer free agents to make sure they get those comp picks. 

The best comp pick is basically an early 4th round pick. You shouldn't be avoiding impact free agents for a 4th round pick that is virtually worthless 80% of the time. If they are going to let Robbie and Leo walk after the year they should trade them now to guarantee an actual return for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Imagine what you all been saying if Mac was the one who gave up Lee for some trash 6th rounder? 

Exactly...

We'd be talking about another waste of a draft pick by Macc just like we should be now. Gase has no attachment to any of the players Macc drafted. The gloves are off.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The best comp pick is basically an early 4th round pick. You shouldn't be avoiding impact free agents for a 4th round pick that is virtually worthless 80% of the time. If they are going to let Robbie and Leo walk after the year they should trade them now to guarantee an actual return for them.

It's a numbers game, and the smart front offices play it well. You can still sign a couple impact free agents, you just need to work it so you lose more than you sign. You can do that by focusing on cut players who don't figure into the formula, or sitting on your hands a bit until after the date where signings don't count for comp pick purposes. 

Chris Herndon was an early fourth round pick. Those picks matter. 

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This answer a few question. Macc typically won on trades because he only took trades that were too good to pass up.

the lack of draft day trades was Macc being too gun shy. 

EXACTLY - looking back it almost seems that Macc has no self confidence.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gregg Williams saw no use for Darron Lee.  What does that tell you?

I'm fine with that but like I said how many times has this team and its idiot coaches tried to play someone out of position ? If Williams is sticking to his guns and staying with a 3-4 then yes Lee  simply did not belong here and I think it comes down to that more than what Williams saw talent wise.

This is a disappointment. I still feel very confident Lee was worth a 5th and could have possibly gotten a 4th for Lee. I guess we'll never know?

But one thing we do know is Bowles wanted nothing to do with Minnie? A 6th rounder and Bowles didn't pursue it?

• Upvote 1

This was a bad trade. Lee might not have been anyone's favorite player and he might not have had a spot on our roster but we could have done better than a 6th. It may not have been in the form of a draft pick but we should have held off and explored all options including vet players instead of draft picks.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

This is a disappointment. I still feel very confident Lee was worth a 5th and could have possibly gotten a 4th for Lee. I guess we'll never know?

But one thing we do know is Bowles wanted nothing to do with Minnie? A 6th rounder and Bowles didn't pursue it?

The market sets itself. If NFL teams thought Lee was worth more than a 6th we would have gotten more than a 6th. The fact that he is in the last year of his contract, coming off of his second suspension(one by the team) and flat out sucks at football shows why we got a sixth.

Do you really think Mac or now Gase turned down a fourth rounder, so we could get a sixth? Antonio Brown just got traded for a 3rd and a 5th and he's arguably the best receiver in the league.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

22 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Good trade, he won’t even make their roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so totally off the wall absurd. I'll almost guarantee he makes their roster. The only thing that could stop Lee is if he gets in trouble again. Lee is as dumb as a brick, so I suppose it's possible.

57 minutes ago, RobR said:

The market sets itself. If NFL teams thought Lee was worth more than a 6th we would have gotten more than a 6th. The fact that he is in the last year of his contract, coming off of his second suspension(one by the team) and flat out sucks at football shows why we got a sixth.

Do you really think Mac or now Gase turned down a fourth rounder, so we could get a sixth? Antonio Brown just got traded for a 3rd and a 5th and he's arguably the best receiver in the league.

No. I don't think that. I just think they could have gotten higher compensation if they had shopped him longer.

Jets had little to no leverage. Their best point of leverage was in the offseason before they made the big offer to Mosley. Between Lee's suspension and signing CJ the rest of the NFL knew there was no place for him with the Jets other than being injury insurance and a player the media asked about when he was playing about 20% of the time. 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

No. I don't think that. I just think they could have gotten higher compensation if they had shopped him longer.

They put a for sale sign around his neck three months ago. How much longer should it have taken?