Chiefs - Jets Agree to Darron Lee trade

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Great move. Seriously all the people who wanted Lee gone now all of sudden don't think a 6th is enough. @jetstream23 I think said it best but yeah we hate Macc but apparently not in May .. so ridiculous. I love these loves these moves..

Macc gone, Lee gone, get rid of anyone else that under performs. A guy off the street with upside or in this case a draft pick (cashman) is way better than a known let down. Glad to see we finally have a head coach and GM that finally realized it.

now what about Leonard Williams?  

2 minutes ago, tfine said:

Never liked Lee. He even got called out by Bart Scott for being too soft at the point of attack. In a Greg Williams defense that’s not something that’s going to fly.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I forgot the Greg w. Factor. Bet money he told Gase that Lee was weak. Like he had to even tell him, it is obvious and I'm sure gase targeted Lee last year as an opposing coach.

Not so bad having the smartest guy in the room as your coach GM. I think these are good signs.

All the bell talk doesn't scare me either. Gase will use him alot, might not have made same contracts as Macc but they are already signed, he will use them.

16 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He’s not ILB depth. He’s not a LB. he’s not a S either. He was drafted as some Bowles fantasy hybrid player. He has no position in the NFL and is going to be out of the NFL in 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you are saying that the Chiefs are a slapdick org that just throws 6th rd picks away for guys with no position? It's great for Gase to get a 6th, bit the 6th is meaningless in KC?  lol    Like Gase fleeced Reid???  hahaha come on man. 

Are you really believing this stuff you're writing to try and make sense of this and have it be in your opinion's favor?  This is an F U move and a bad one at that. 

• Upvote 1

You miss a few hours around this place for less than a day and BOOM......everything changes. Loving every move so far especially since Mac is gone. Lee is just the icing on the cake and he showed his true trade value. He'll be out of the league within a year or two. 

Today has been a good day.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I don't understand this trade at all.  Why would we trade Lee for a low 6th rd pick, that is going to be closer to a 7th?  I don't think Lee was going to be a star, but at least he had some value as depth on the team.  

I don't understand the lack of urgency for depth all around the team. 

CB- One injury away from free fall

WR- One injury away from disaster

LB - One injury away from being terrible

Probably b/c he was a complete sh*tbag coke head.  We probably would only be looking at a 6th rd compensatory pick after next year anyway if we kept him so might as well get a 2020 compensatory 6th instead of a 2021 comp 6th.  We need picks, the last few drafts have really shown you can't be hanging around with 5 draft picks each year.  We need capital.

https://imgur.com/a/nL15YZ4

Edited by JETSfaninNE
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

now what about Leonard Williams?  

I'd actually keep him and try to extend him at a market rate, making the argument to him that he's risking injury and potentially getting shown up by a younger, better DT in Quinnen Williams.  Get him a 5-year deal for something like $13-14M per year.  You structure it so that his Cap hit goes down in years 4 and 5 just as QW starts to become more expensive with his 5th year option.  The Jets will then have good options around 2023.  JMHO.  That's the way I'd try to do it.  The Jets are going to pay Leo $14M anyway this year.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Better than having to pay him 14Mill a year, when Henry Anderson will put up twice the production.

If Maccagnan was still here, so would Williams at 14 and Lee also, only few of the handful left to show for Maccagnan’s first 4 drafts.

I disagree.  I think Leo is better than people give him credit for.

6 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Better than having to pay him 14Mill a year, when Henry Anderson will put up twice the production.

This is such a mind-numbingly bad take...  There is no coach or GM in the NFL who would rather have Henry Anderson than Leonard Williams.  You'd get laughed out of the room for proposing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd actually keep him and try to extend him at a market rate, making the argument to him that he's risking injury and potentially getting shown up by a younger, better DT in Quinnen Williams.  Get him a 5-year deal for something like $13-14M per year.  You structure it so that his Cap hit goes down in years 4 and 5 just as QW starts to become more expensive with his 5th year option.  The Jets will then have good options around 2023.  JMHO.  That's the way I'd try to do it.  The Jets are going to pay Leo $14M anyway this year.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I disagree.  I think Leo is better than people give him credit for.

I am certainly in favor of waiting to see how Leo plays under Greg Williams.  And next to Quennin Williams.  I have always been a Leo fan but was really disappointed last season.   No doubt Greg Williams has some interesting plans for his two Williamses.  Greg Williams had no use for Lee.  If he did, then Gase would not have traded him.

Most people are ignoring that the Lee trade has Greg Williams written all over it.  He did not want Lee in the room.  End of story.  Gase got it done.  Mac refused or couldn't or wouldn't or whatever and I'll bet Williams and Gase bitched about it to Chris Johnson.   Goodbye Maccagnan and f-ck you.  You sucked.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

This is such a mind-numbingly bad take...  There is no coach or GM in the NFL who would rather have Henry Anderson than Leonard Williams.  You'd get laughed out of the room for proposing it.

this is correct.  We'd be stupid not to see what Greg Williams can do with his two Williamses on the line this season. I'm looking forward to it.  Lee on the other hand had no purpose here and Williams wanted him out of Florham Prak.  FOr some inexplicable self-serving reason, Mac refused or was just too incompetent to get it done.  No doubt both of them bitched about it to CJ.  Buh-bye Mac....  stoopid doofus.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Or maybe the chiefs tried dealing for Lee but got frustrated dealing with Macs indecisiveness so they called today? My point is we need to get off this painting Gase as the bad guy thing most of us are doing. Mac is gone, we have a very promising coaching staff and the most talented roster we’ve had in the last decade. Give Gase a fair shot this is what we all wanted. 

Is it? I didn’t even want Gase as coach (though warming up to him), I sure as hell don’t want him pulling double duty as GM too. 

This is possibly the worse first trade a GM has ever made, giving away a young player with potential for peanuts while he’s making under 2mil. Would’ve gotten much more back after next year as comp pick. Game could not have started any worse imo. Get your GM fired, trade an asset for nothing, pretty much hating the idea of having Bell as your bellcow, not being a part of the draft, and those baffling looks in his intro presser. 

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well neither of us know what the FA landscape looks like next year for the Jets, but I am not so sure that's accurate. That said, it's useless to argue. That's why I used the word potential there. (ya like that?) :) 

Let's assume he had no positional value like you said, you don't think, as training camps move on and the injuries pile up that Lee's value wouldn't rise past a 6th from the Chiefs?  I do.  Now this can be considered nit picking, but I just don't see the rush here. I think this has much more to do with the statement Gase is making to Macc on his way out which is Go F yourself than any real football value. I wish everyone would just accept that and quit trying to make this a smart move. It's simply not. 

I hated the Gase hire, so I have no interest in defending him, but if the reports are true that this was an ongoing negotiation with KC, and it was only a difference of Maccagnan pushing for a higher pick (5th) and Gase accepting their offer (6th), it sounds like they really just wanted him off the team.  If that's the case, dragging a guy like that into camp may not go well.

Don't get me wrong, the move is nothing worth being celebrated, given how low of a return it was, but a disappointing player with a bad reputation relegated to backup duty that is not thought well of by his new HC or DC is hardly someone to get worked up over either.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you are bad at evaluating football players

I need to give you props.  You were right about Lee from the second he set foot on the field.  Never an equivocation.  Impressive Carlos.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

Terrible comp for our former 1st round pick!  We couldn't even get a 5th??? Wow

Lee SUCKS. He’ll be out of the NFL in a year or 2.  We were lucky we didn’t have to give up our 6th for the Chiefs to take on his contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

We are where we are.  It's time to move forward.  Even Neville Hewitt was looking better at ILB than Darron Lee last year.  We'll survive with Hewitt, Avery Williamson and a perennial Pro Bowler in CJ Mosely.

Let's get a new GM in here to manage a team that hopefully already has it's franchise QB and now has a full complement of draft picks at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, and 7 next year.

The team finally has some talent after fielding a piss-poor roster for almost a decade.  We have young talent in Darnold, Herndon, Leo, Jenkins, Adams, Crowder, etc. and promising rookies like QW and Polite.

I can't get on the misery train today.  I'm okay with where we are and where we seem to be going.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

This is possibly the worse first trade a GM has ever made, giving away a young player with potential for peanuts while he’s making under 2mil. Would’ve gotten much more back after next year as comp pick. Game could not have started any worse imo. Get your GM fired, trade an asset for nothing, pretty much hating the idea of having Bell as your bellcow, not being a part of the draft, and those baffling looks in his intro presser. 

They wouldn't have gotten a comp pick for him next year since he wouldn't have played much if he remained on the team. They got a 6th for a player they would've cut before camp.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

They wouldn't have gotten a comp pick for him next year since he wouldn't have played much if he remained on the team. They got a 6th for a player they would've cut before camp.

Would’ve been a good insurance policy at the very least. It’s not like we saved cap $. He wasn’t making much. 

Just now, CurtMart said:

Would’ve been a good insurance policy at the very least. It’s not like we saved cap $. He wasn’t making much. 

They saved $1.8 million and got a pick. That's not nothing. The Eagles just signed a starting Center/Guard Wisniewski for less than that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wow, thats as close to "worthless" as you can get.  6th or 7th rounders mean GMGase really wanted him gone.

He's worth more as a one-year backup than a 6th, tbqh, but I expect this is just the start to the Gase Purge (tm).

Tom Brady - Terrell Davis

6th round picks.... ya never know.

• Thumb Down 1