Chiefs - Jets Agree to Darron Lee trade

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

If there was ever any doubt about the validity of the internal struggle between Gase and Macc, the timing and price of the Lee trade is confirmation.  

It was about 6 hours after Macc was fired and Gase takes one of his 1st rd picks and ships him off for a low 6th.  That's football speak for F*CK YOU BUDDY! 

Let's just hope there isn't a wave of emotionally motivated F U moves coming around the bend. I'd prefer cooler heads prevail thank you. 

According to Breer the Jets had been talking to the Chiefs for weeks about this trade. Macc was stuck on getting a 5th and the Chiefs wouldn't budge. Once Macc was canned the Chiefs called to see if Gase was willing to do it for the 6th and he was. Macc was worried about how the trade would look and Gase has no attachment to Lee so he couldn't care less about the optics.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I'm just thinking of guys that Maccagnan would re-sign to save face that Gase has no attachment to. If Gase has a vision about what he wants this roster to look like and he's got a week to move some pieces around, this is his chance to do it without getting blood on the hands of Joe Douglas.

Hopefully we keep Leo and Robby if only for a shot at compensatory picks.
  • Upvote 1

I don't hate it, but I find it curious that it's been reported Gase didn't like the Bell and Mosley signings because he thought the Jets gave them too much money, but then he turns around and gives a former first round pick who would have had some value as a depth player away for pennies, just to get Lee out of the building.
BTW, I do think the Jets gave far too much money to Mosley, but I also think the Jets' deal for Bell was pretty good.

Well he can’t exactly trade Mosley or Bell. And Lee was already here, not a free agent signing that pissed Gase off.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

At worst ILB depth and a potential comp pick was worth more than what we just got. This is also a low 6th ta boot.  This is the worst trade we've been a part of in quite a while actually. 

Really? Macc traded a 5th Rd pick for rashard Robinson. That's worse. We got a draft pick for someone who was most likely going to be cut anyway

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I hated the Gase hire, so I have no interest in defending him, but if the reports are true that this was an ongoing negotiation with KC, and it was only a difference of Maccagnan pushing for a higher pick (5th) and Gase accepting their offer (6th), it sounds like they really just wanted him off the team.  If that's the case, dragging a guy like that into camp may not go well.

Don't get me wrong, the move is nothing worth being celebrated, given how low of a return it was, but a disappointing player with a bad reputation relegated to backup duty that is not thought well of by his new HC or DC is hardly someone to get worked up over either.

Greg Williams didn't want Lee in his room.  Probably bitched to CJ that Mac couldn't/wouldn't/didn't get it done.  Funny how Gase gets it done within hours of Mac handing in his swipe card.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

And for the Supreme Overlords first move he gets pennies on the dollar for a young LB who was ascending...

ugh.. this could get ugly.

Greg Williams wanted him out of here.  Mac wouldn't/couldn't/didn't. Gase did.  +1 for gase.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Greg Williams wanted him out of here.  Mac wouldn't/couldn't/didn't. Gase did.  +1 for gase.

Everyone wanted Sheldon out.

Macc got a 2nd and a starting WR with the pick being integral to landing our franchise QB.

Gase gave Lee away for nothing..  it was an abysmal trade..  like real bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tiny compensation for a tiny Linebacker.

So long, (lil) sweet prince.

The tiny jokes and pictures were some of the funniest stuff ever posted on this forum. And now, poof,  all gone for a 6th rounder.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

This is such a mind-numbingly bad take...  There is no coach or GM in the NFL who would rather have Henry Anderson than Leonard Williams.  You'd get laughed out of the room for proposing it.

Not saying that Williams doesn’t have vastly more raw potential than Anderson...but, who would you say had a better year last year?

Next, is Williams worth $14Mill a year?

Just now, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Not saying that Williams doesn’t have vastly more raw potential than Anderson...but, who would you say had a better year last year?

Next, is Williams worth $14Mill a year?

Anderson was a great Macc trade and played well but he was the beneficiary of the opposing teams offensive line being focused on neutralizing Williams.

I don't hate Anderson at all..  Glad he was re-signed.  But he is the complimentary piece of the equation.. not the big gun.  Leonard and now Q will be the big guns.

I fully expect Anderson to play well again because of the attention the other 2 will draw. 

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Anderson was a great Macc trade and played well but he was the beneficiary of the opposing teams offensive line being focused on neutralizing Williams.

I don't hate Anderson at all..  Glad he was re-signed.  But he is the complimentary piece of the equation.. not the big gun.  Leonard and now Q will be the big guns.

I fully expect Anderson to play well again because of the attention the other 2 will draw. 

Anderson is the second coming of Mark Lomas

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

Ok...I have no problem with your analysis, just you did miss addressing one question....do you think Williams is worth $14Mill a year?  I don’t.

At least we might now find out the answer to the biggest question of the offseason: what does Darron Lee think of the #newjetsunis?

"Well, to be honest I think we should have just kept the classic Jets' unis from the most successful period in franchise history"...

If this was all we were going to get for Lee, probably should have just dealt him during the draft for KC's 2019 7th. 

Pretty clear that his value was very low around the league.

Chiefs used their 2019 7th on versatile Illinois Center/Guard Nick Allegretti - and it seems they think highly of him as a quality backup and potential future starter. Not like we could have used a guy like that...

6 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Not sure how this is a great move other than everyone just hates lee? 

Cheifs traded a 4th for Reggie Ragland.. is Reggie ragland that much better than lee? Personally, I dont think so, and I’m not even a fan of lee to begin with

It’s a fantastic move if you are Darron Lee

Obviously it’s not much value but what exactly were you guys expecting off a trade? Teams aren’t stupid, Lee has been an undersized and underwhelming player his whole career, just got suspended, and is at the end of his contract. And oh yeah, the Jets further lost any leverage the minute they signed Mosley. 

I don’t consider this a good move or anything, just hard to see how they were ever going to do anything better at this point. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

6th round pick? Gimme a break.  We would've been better off keeping him at least through camp instead of just giving him away.

This trade sucks. If Macc made it people would be screaming what an idiot he is!!!

That said, I called this earlier today. Now we find out what Gase thinks of Leo and some of Macc's other picks.... This is going to get crazy.

Exactly. Gase is gonna suck.

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Obviously it’s not much value but what exactly were you guys expecting off a trade? Teams aren’t stupid, Lee has been an undersized and underwhelming player his whole career, just got suspended, and is at the end of his contract. And oh yeah, the Jets further lost any leverage the minute they signed Mosley. 

I don’t consider this a good move or anything, just hard to see how they were ever going to do anything better at this point. 

Just keep him?

He’s been a bust but he was still an asset, especially in coverage.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well he can’t exactly trade Mosley or Bell. And Lee was already here, not a free agent signing that pissed Gase off.

He can't, but he can reduce Bell to a limited role.

Bell is a workhorse and should be a focus of the offense, I personally didn't care for the move and in fact agree with Gase that in these days big money spent on a RB is not money well spent...but...he's here and we've spent the money.

Now use him and abuse him.  If Bell gets a limited roll in this offense because he's not one of Gase's "guys", I'll be ******* furious.