Gase and Bell - what an idiot Gase is

FWIW can you blame Gase for being hesitant about paying Bell a ton of $? Bells got injury history, a sh*tload of carries and oh yeah he sat out a year last year. Sounds like a logical concern but do we really think Gase is mad we have Bell lol this is all getting blown out of proportion 

• Upvote 2

In this instance, and with Ajayi, both backs are notorious pains in the ass, so I’m giving Gase the benefit of the doubt on it. Coaches are terrible GMs, generally, but the first thing a coach has to do coming into a new locker room is chop the head off the biggest malcontent right away. That’s tough to do when that malcontent is also the prized free agent signing of a desperate and floundering GM.

We will see if it works out. There have been some successful coaches who act like Gase. Also there have been some disasters. Most of the successful ones had some kind of track record before acting like this. Also, was Kenyan Drake a nightmare?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

FWIW can you blame Gase for being hesitant about paying Bell a ton of $? Bells got injury history, a sh*tload of carries and oh yeah he sat out a year last year. Sounds like a logical concern but do we really think Gase is mad we have Bell lol this is all getting blown out of proportion 

Don't forget multiple drug related suspensions.

Add in the fact that good running backs seem to grow on trees, and I have no problem at all if Gase wants to use him to send a message.  No player bigger than the team.  

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

We will see if it works out. There have been some successful coaches who act like Gase. Also there have been some disasters. Most of the successful ones had some kind of track record before acting like this. Also, was Kenyan Drake a nightmare?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t think Gase will survive if he can’t find a way to manage the jerkoffs, because most of your talented guys are jerkoffs. 

RE: Drake, he’s a full-on jerkoff dating back to his Alabama days

One last thing to mention on Drake: he was repeatedly in the doghouse at Alabama, and not just for fumbling concerns. in 2012Kenyan Drake he was suspended for an unnamed violation of team rules, and the next year was left off the Tide’s travel roster in the season opener at Virginia Tech for a similar offense. Drake didn’t play one snap in Alabama’s Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma that season, and there was plenty of speculation that the talented back would transfer. To Drake’s credit he stuck it out, but he was arrested a few months later for obstructing a government operation (not as exciting as it sounds). The charge occurred because Drake refused to obey police officers’ orders not to retrieve his vehicle because it was roped off in a crime scene area. Not an overly concerning offense, but on top of previous infractions, the arrest did little to help Drake’s image. The past two seasons have seemed less contentious, but Drake’s character will be monitored and observed closely by NFL teams during the pre-draft process.
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

Don't forget multiple drug related suspensions.

Add in the fact that good running backs seem to grow on trees, and I have no problem at all if Gase wants to use him to send a message.  No player bigger than the team.  

My point is though the reports I’ve seen said Gase didn’t want to over spend at RB and didn’t like Mosleys price tag. BOTH ARE LOGICAL CONCERNS. Mosley is good but $17mil a year is a TON of money. Do you really think he would have let Mac sign Bell if he didn’t like him!? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

My point is though the reports I’ve seen said Gase didn’t want to over spend at RB and didn’t like Mosleys price tag. BOTH ARE LOGICAL CONCERNS. Mosley is good but $17mil a year is a TON of money. Do you really think he would have let Mac sign Bell if he didn’t like him!? 

I'm sure Gase voiced his opinion and Mac went ahead and signed him anyway.  I'm sure that was the main reason for the rift.  Mac didn't need Gase to "let" him do anything.  He was able to do it whether he had Gase's blessing or not. 

4 minutes ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

I'm sure Gase voiced his opinion and Mac went ahead and signed him anyway.  I'm sure that was the main reason for the rift.  Mac didn't need Gase to "let" him do anything.  He was able to do it whether he had Gase's blessing or not. 

If Gase apparently has enough power to get CJ to fire Mac , wouldn’t he just go to CJ and tell him he doesn’t want Bell? 

• Upvote 1

While I have no problem Jets firing Mac I was one a few that said Gase would be gone in 2 years so far it's going as planned I said the Jets should have hired Mcarthy who was best coach to turned this franchise around who actually has a track record and knows how to win. I'm enjoying this as I knew Gase is Rich Kotite 2.0 and will destroy this franchise in 2 years. We had a chance to bring in a super bowl coach and you have this enjoy.

42 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

If the Jets suck halfway through and he's also not playing Bell, then the fans will make sure he's fired. I'm positive of that. 

This not wanting Bell thing is odd to me. Also is the entire idea and bitching about voluntary workouts. 

Gase wanted Bell.  Gase didn't want Bell at $52M.  This is an important distinction.

I think Gase wanted a Center.  Macc didn't get one in FA and then couldn't trade down from #3 to get one.  The Jets missed out on Connor McGovern in Round 3 and then traded up for Chuma Edoga.

And when Chris Johnson says that Gase and Macc got along but also says that he wants a new GM that is a better collaborator in the building, those things can both be true.  I think Macc had a hard time collaborating with Heimerdinger.  I think Dinger wanted to trade down from #3 for whatever the offer was.  Macc made the final decision that the comp wasn't enough and stayed put.  There are also rumors that Dinger was the man behind the scenes not getting the credit for things like the Darnold trade-up.

I think all of these things are related.  And, I think it's why this decision was made now.  CJ had to see this unfold, especially if it's all based, as I'm suggesting, on an approach to player acquisition between FA and the Draft that fell short at a position like Center.  It's all interconnected is my guess.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If Gase apparently has enough power to get CJ to fire Mac , wouldn’t he just go to CJ and tell him he doesn’t want Bell? 

The Bell signing was months ago.  My guess is that CJ had faith in Mac at that point, the first day of free agency.  I'm sure GM's and Head Coaches disagree every so often about players, but again, at the end of the day the GM has the final say, so he signed Bell.  

After seeing an entire offseason of Gase & Mac working together, with more disagreements, he realized they just don't see eye to eye.  

12 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

While I have no problem Jets firing Mac I was one a few that said Gase would be gone in 2 years so far it's going as planned I said the Jets should have hired Mcarthy who was best coach to turned this franchise around who actually has a track record and knows how to win. I'm enjoying this as I knew Gase is Rich Kotite 2.0 and will destroy this franchise in 2 years. We had a chance to bring in a super bowl coach and you have this enjoy.

McCarthy is a dinosaur who couldn't win another ring with Aaron Rodgers for 10+ years.  You think he'd win here....with this personnel?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris & Woody's Butler said:

Bell just tweeted about the situation, openly acknowledging that he's aware his HC might not like him.

Gase is pissing off Bell.  

Get Gase out of here.  Guys...out HC is a joke.  And our franchise is a joke.

Wow.

What are you talking about? If anything and this is coming from a bell lover, we took huge Gamble and less risky move would be to just get a vet to tote the rock cheap and swing on third round back in the draft. 

Gase like everyone else in the world like bell talent but he didn't like the price tag. That money he probably thought should go to o linemen. Gase was right.

But at same time you're not making the case their is some sort of problem between them? They both grown and know the game. Bell knows he's a big risk and now's if he plays like he always has Gase will give him the touches 

Gase is 10 hours in and I'm excited for the new regime

• Haha 1

It seems to me Bell answered this fine. He is expressing his commitment either way while stating that his initial sense is that the reports are false. 

I'd hope Gase calls him tmrw to clarify and get on right foot. 

Given the amount of leaks that have been credited to Macc over the years and his cozy relationship with Gase, this feels eerily like a grenade thrown on his way out. 

56 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

To my knowledge gase hasn’t called out bell at all.  Sounds like bell is reacting to tweets by others that presume to know how gase felt about signing bell.  

He may not have called him out. It's being reported through leaks. This is Shefter and Rappaport reporting this stuff. It's not Incarcerated Bob.  It's not a good look man and certainly doesn't help the cause. 

24 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

I was in the McCarthy camp too, but I'm not enjoying any of this. That's just the worst.   

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Meh, talk about folks seriously overstating what Bell said.  He's suggesting he doesn't even necessarily believe it to be true, and even if it is, he'll do his job.  This is the second best response he could've given... the best of course being none at all.

I trust what Bell said over Gase saying he had nothing to do with Mac getting fired.........

I said this in another thread.

I wasn't big on signing Bell and I agree with Gase, in the NFL these days, you don't pay big money to a RB.

But, what's done is done.

Bell is here and he's a workhorse.  Now let's use him and abuse him.

If Gase limits Bell's roll out of some petty spite or because he's not one of Gase's guys, I'll be ******* furious.

8 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only source of this Mehta, who just lost his source and best friend Mikey Macc?  I wouldn't put any stock in this sh*t, this is Mehta trying to go scorched earth on the Jets.

You can tell just by Mehta's articles today that he's pissed.  I think he's more pissed that he went on record a few weeks ago that there was no way in hell Macc was getting fired.

Now he looks like an idiot, so cue the "circus is back in town" columns.

• Upvote 1

"Adam Gase likes Le'Veon Bell, just did not love spending that much money for a player at that position," Rapoport said of the Jets signing Bell to a four-year, $52.5 million deal. "It's really just the running back position itself. So he likes the player just didn't love the price tag."

Gase doesn't go with the concept of spending big $$$ on RB position. Not specifically Bell, any RB. So it'd be same with a Gurley or an Elliot.

Gase wants a hard worker and a productive guy - he got rid of Jay Ajayi due to his lazy / entitled attitude, and his disregard for pass protection duties. So if there's a blowup with Bell this year it'll be about attitude, not money.

I'm sure it's a lot more than just Bell feeling a little awkward today. 

The reports were that Gase didn't like contracts, which puts Mosley and Crowder right in the question mark column. Gase with no public appearances during the draft now has a different flavor, now every one of these kids has to wonder if the head coach wanted them, or just the fired GM. QW has to wonder if Gase wanted the trade down, Polite has to wonder if he wanted one of the OL there, etc. And then there's Gregg Williams and his entire staff. 

Gase needs to locate his inner schmoozer and work the phones and reassure everyone that they're all wanted, and all a team, and let's go out there and win some football games! Yay! Unfortunately, I think that's probably the furthest thing from his nature. 

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

You can tell just by Mehta's articles today that he's pissed.  I think he's more pissed that he went on record a few weeks ago that there was no way in hell Macc was getting fired.

Now he looks like an idiot, so cue the "circus is back in town" columns.

And more than likely, he has a jilted Maccagnan feeding him every morsel.