Whether you are happy Mac is gone or not

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Today is confirmation that this organization is as dysfunctional  as ever. 

I don't  care if Mac sucked as a GM, it made absolutely  no sense to fire him now. Things were actually taking on the resemblance of a team and front office that seemed to have a plan and was putting it together. Today the Jets ripped all that up. We are once again the most screwed up team in NY from an organization  standpoint. If they were going to fire Mac, after he picks a new HC, spends tens of millions in FA, and just completed a draft where he had the #3 selection was not the time. Mac should have been shown the door the day after the season ended. He did nothing to make a case for keeping his job except draft Darnold which he did deserve credit for. Most of the time putting a FQB on your team buys you a year and I think he deserved to see it through for making the moves that landed him but I would not have been shocked if he was canned along with Bowles. Nobody would have, but what happened today is freaking as dysfunctional as anything that ever happened in the NFL. 

This team is a freaking joke. 

Disagree.  Chris Johnson finally realized what a colossal blunder it was not to cut Mac loose with Bowles.  Rather than letting that doofus hang around another season, Chris Johnson has the balls to do the right thing now...the same thing he should have done 4 months ago.  It would have been foolish to wait.  Mac had no future here.  Bravo to Chris Johnson for not trying to hide the mistake or save face.  He did the right thing.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Balls is doing the right thing even though a bunch of whiney ankle biters will criticize you. If he realized today he made a mistake and corrected it, all the better, that shows even MORE balls.  What was he supposed to do, ride out a loser for 8 more  months because he should have fired him 4 months ago? No, that would be stupid.   

Way to go CJ! You rock! 

What impact did firing him today have?

What did it fix? 

Mac's fingerprints are all over this team primarily  because of this offseason

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He made the best call he could have made today  - you can't go back in time, he did the best thing he could have done today. That's all he could do.  He manned up, took the heat, and made the right call. You seem to live in some fantasy world....in The real world, it was a great move - The best available move at the time 

No its not the best move because if this roster and team is good this year which I think is a good chance, you just let go the guy that built that roster.  It was just stupid timing. 

44 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The opposite spin is:

"Whether you thought the timing was bad or not, at last someone finally had the balls to fire an incompetent loser instead of just going down the path of least resistance and accepting mediocrity"

This is exactly how I feel about it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He made the best call he could have made today  - you can't go back in time, he did the best thing he could have done today. That's all he could do.  He manned up, took the heat, and made the right call. You seem to live in some fantasy world....in The real world, it was a great move - The best available move at the time 

Really? You probably  think the Captain of the Titanic made a great call by abandoning  ship after he hit the iceberg 

20 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

No, I think he planned to keep him, but later came to the conclusion that he should be fired and then fired him.  His plan changed.  He made a good call.  He came up with a better plan. He did the right thing.  Way to go. Kudos to him. Its a wonderful day. 

^this

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He didn't make a good call. A good call would have been firing him on black Monday, not after he made all the moves that set the team up for the foreseeable future.  

it would have been better to let him go with Bowles.  But it would have been worse to not realize the mistake or refuse to correct it ASAP.  I'd like to shake Chris Johnon's hand for not waiting and owning up to the mistake.  Nice step in the right direction for a change.  Keeping Mac around would have perpetuated the problem.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Really? You probably  think the Captain of the Titanic made a great call by abandoning  ship after he hit the iceberg 

Um....of course he did, in what crazy world is abandoning ship NOT a great call after hitting an iceberg and sinking?  You have to make decisions based on the reality of the moment not based in some fantasy "what if" scenario  or alternate reality. It was  bad decision to speed through an iceberg zone, yes. But once you hit the iceberg, you have to make decisions based on that reality 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Seems weird, Mac screws up and screws up and they keep him.

Then the light at the end of the tunnel finally appears, and you boot him out.

Who knows what set them off.  Maybe it was the Eagles signing Wisniewski.  

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Um....of course he did, in what crazy world is abandoning ship NOT a great call after hitting an iceberg and sinking?  You have to make decisions based on the reality of the moment not based in some fantasy "what if" scenario  or alternate reality. It was  bad decision to speed through an iceberg zone, yes. But once you hit the iceberg, you have to make decisions based on that reality 

really.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is exactly how I feel about it. 

So your happy we just made Gase king of the Jets? Because that is what happened and if you think he is just going to let Woody or CJ put anyone in as GM that is going to disagree with him on anything, you are living in a fantasy.  This is Gase's team now all the way. As Bad as Mac was and he was Bad, I rather have him than as GM than a HC that the jury is still out on as  to whether he can even be competent at his own job let alone GM.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Not hitting the iceberg would have been a better call. Firing Mac on Black Monday  would have been not hitting the iceberg

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So your happy we just made Gase king of the Jets? Because that is what happened and if you think he is just going to let Woody or CJ put anyone in as GM that is going to disagree with him on anything, you are living in a fantasy.  This is Gase's team now all the way. As Bad as Mac was and he was Bad, I rather have him than as GM than a HC that the jury is still out on as  to whether he can even be competent at his own job let alone GM.  

I'm happy Mac is gone.  He was awful.  A step in the right direction.  And it remains to be seen if Gase will be 'King of the Jets."  you presume too much. Stop swalling everything NY media says.  We'll see how that shakes out.  It's officially "interim".  And it's better to do this now than keep that moron around.  People don't realize how much Maccagnan was NOT respected around the league.  He had to be removed.  He was truly regarded as one of the worst GMs in the league.   Thank God it's now and not after another season.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Not hitting the iceberg would have been a better call. Firing Mac on Black Monday  would have been not hitting the iceberg

moot point.  It was a mistake not letting him go with Bowles.  Sure.  But a worse mistake to let him hang around the building another year instead of correcting the mistake ASAP.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm happy Mac is gone.  He was awful.  A step in the right direction.  And it remains to be seen if Gase will be 'King of the Jets."  you presume too much. Stop swalling everything NY media says.  We'll see how that shakes out.  It's officially "interim".  And it's better to do this now than keep that moron around.  People don't realize how much Maccagnan was NOT respected around the league.  He had to be removed.  He was truly regarded as one of the worst GMs in the league.   Thank God it's now and not after another season.

Your giving CJ way too much credit here. I think Gase has him wrapped. I mean what are trying to say, CJ found the fountain of Brains and became Art Rooney?

54 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I think the last team that fired their GM between the draft and preseason was Kansas City.  GM that was fired John Dorsey.  KC seems fine.  This is just May overreactions honestly.

This is what I've been saying.  It happens and teams don't fall apart.  Jets can't get any worse so it has to go up from here.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

moot point.  It was a mistake not letting him go with Bowles.  Sure.  But a worse mistake to let him hang around the building another year instead of correcting the mistake ASAP.

Again, what got fixed today?

What has changed other than we have a guy with no experience  playing GM.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Gase has a better record as HC than Mac does as a GM.

40 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

So what happens if we do well this year and in particular, the draft picks and FA signings Mac had come up big?  Is it still a good decision that we fired him?  This is why I feel it was a bad idea to do it now.  Just my opinion but you shouldve just kept him to see how everything panned out this season.  These are his players we are going to play with this season.

If we do well this year then we can thank Macc for his effort in getting some players that performed.  Did we want to keep Idzik around in hindsight because Enunwa balled out, nah.  We say he got lucky landing 1 of 12 players in a draft.

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Chris Johnson finally says that mediocrity is unacceptable.  That's what.  How the hell could any Jets fan want that incompetent boob in the building one minute longer...?  I'll never understand.  Mac was a bottom feeder of a GM. Clueless and disrespected by others.  Yuck.  Good riddance.  

I'm amused by your abject fear of Gase.  I'll take the interim unknown entity  over the well Known boob any day and twice on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The most incompetent person in the building was told to leave.  That got fixed.  And it's huge.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Chris Johnson finally says that mediocrity is unacceptable.  That's what.  How the hell could any Jets fan want that incompetent boob in the building one minute longer...?  I'll never understand.  Mac was a bottom feeder of a GM. Clueless and disrespected by others.  Yuck.  Good riddance.  

I'm amused by your abject fear of Gase.  I'll take the interim unknown entity  over the well Known boob any day and twice on Sunday.

It makes no difference at this point if he is here or not. The damage is done. You can't  unring a bell but you sure can look like a moron trying which is what CJ is doing. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

It makes no difference at this point if he is here or not. The damage is done. You can't  unring a bell but you sure can look like a moron trying which is what CJ is doing. 

Are you nuts?  It makes no difference if he's in the building?  Have you ever worked in an office where an incompetent superior (one that everyone knows is a boob like Mac) is allowed tos  remain by management for way too long?  Dude... the malignancy must be remocved when it is discovered.  Chris Johnson was too slow making the diagnosis, agreed.  But he was lightning quick performing the needed surgery and that's a good thing.  

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The most incompetent person in the building was told to leave.  That got fixed.  And it's huge.

Sorry, allowing someone who has failed miserably  at his job steer the Jets through the most important offseason in the last 2 decades only to dismiss him after the entire job is done might be good enough for you, but it isn't  for me. CJ is a freaking idiot. Always has been and still is. As long as he is in charge, this team will be a freaking laughing stock. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sorry, allowing someone who has failed miserably  at his job steer the Jets through the most important offseason in the last 2 decades only to dismiss him after the entire job is done might be good enough for you, but it isn't  for me. CJ is a freaking idiot. Always has been and still is. As long as he is in charge, this team will be a freaking laughing stock. 

Chiefs fired John Dorsey in June 2017. Are they a laughing stock??

• Sympathy 1

What impact did firing him today have?

What did it fix? 

Mac's fingerprints are all over this team primarily  because of this offseason

The fingerprints of a GM with a 24-40 record, who just paid an ILB who struggles in pass coverage $17M a year.

Firing Macc today is far better than firing him next January. The jury rendered the verdict years ago that he is terrible at his job. So why wait?

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Are you nuts?  It makes no difference if he's in the building?  Have you ever worked in an office where an incompetent superior (one that everyone knows is a boob like Mac) is allowed tos  remain by management for way too long?  Dude... the malignancy must be remocved when it is discovered.  Chris Johnson was too slow making the diagnosis, agreed.  But he was lightning quick performing the needed surgery and that's a good thing.  

That is possibly the worst analogy I have ever heard. When you have an incompetent  person. In an office and you remove them, things change because hopefully you now have a competent  person there doing  the work. What work did Mac not do that is going to make a difference  next year and even the year after that? He did everything already. His job was over except.for negotiating some contracts.. Firing him now or at the end of this season has no effect on the outcome of the season except for the team looking like a freaking joke. 

Maybe Chris Johnson thought bowles was the only problem. Maybe he came to the realization that it was a mistake to keep Macc.

Sure the timing was bad. He should have been fired with bowles. But he is gone and that's a good thing.

Macc was a terrible talent evaluater. There's a difference between picking players and building a team. Macc doesn't know how to construct a team.  In the end, he was 24-40 here. (Idzik was 12-20)

We may look "incompetent" but that's because of the timing. Not because of the move itself. 

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The opposite spin is:

"Whether you thought the timing was bad or not, at last someone finally had the balls to fire an incompetent loser instead of just going down the path of least resistance and accepting mediocrity"

And it’s a great spin.

Its like saying “Let’s stick with the pilot who always has difficulty landing the plane and makes most of our customers (passengers) fearful and sick....he won’t get any better, he has been doing the same thing for 5 years, but we’re used to seeing him and he does bring in lots of coffee, so let’s keep this going till who knows when”