May 15th, 2019

Oh man, what a day this is going to be to look back on in a year, 5 years, 10 years...

One way or another this is a big day in Jets history... Good or bad. This is a lot different than just your average GM canning or coach hire... This is a hell of a foundational shakeup all wrapped up in a ridiculous package. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It really is mind-boggling.  The Jets gave the fans what they wanted.....and now our fans are confused and flailing around looking for a way to complain about it.

We fired Macc, but the timing is bad.

We got rid of Darron Lee, but we should have gotten a 4th round pick!

Sheezus Christmas!  Get ready for a newspaper headline in the year 2025, "Jets fans upset that their second consecutive Super Bowl will be played in a dome stadium." :rolleyes:

If you peeled your gaze from JN for a few min, you would realize that the entire NFL world is looking at this a ridiculous. We're being laughed at almost universally.  We can paint it any way we want, but that's the truth. I listened to two sirius NFL radio shows today and all 4 hosts from both shows tried to make sense of it. only one tried to pull the you don't want to fire the GM before the draft angle. The rest were dumbfounded. 

Just last week the talk about the Jets was whether or not we were going to make the playoffs and how close we were to knocking the pats off the perch and all that.   Now we have our HC leaking that he never wanted Bell. Bell is responding through twitter. Gase didn't want to pay Mosley. He Classlessly trades Lee for chump change a few hours after the GM was fired etc etc.  This looks good to you?  I see it as a dumpster fire and I've gotten delighted texts from all of my other friend who are fans of other teams digging at what a $hit show we are. 

I could care less whether macchiato's (I'm gonna miss that spell check) was fired or not, but there are smart ways and stupid ways to do things. We choose the later consistently and we're doing it again today. 

The only place where this is good news today is on JN. Where the Macc hate clouds the senses. 

• Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

If you peeled your gaze from JN for a few min, you would realize that the entire NFL world is looking at this a ridiculous. We're being laughed at almost universally.  We can paint it any way we want, but that's the truth. I listened to two sirius NFL radio shows today and all 4 hosts from both shows tried to make sense of it. only one tried to pull the you don't want to fire the GM before the draft angle. The rest were dumbfounded. 

Just last week the talk about the Jets was whether or not we were going to make the playoffs and how close we were to knocking the pats off the perch and all that.   Now we have our HC leaking that he never wanted Bell. Bell is responding through twitter. Gase didn't want to pay Mosley. He Classlessly trades Lee for chump change a few hours after the GM was fired etc etc.  This looks good to you?  I see it as a dumpster fire and I've gotten delighted texts from all of my other friend who are fans of other teams digging at what a $hit show we are. 

I could care less whether macchiato's (I'm gonna miss that spell check) was fired or not, but there are smart ways and stupid ways to do things. We choose the later consistently and we're doing it again today. 

The only place where this is good news today is on JN. Where the Macc hate clouds the senses. 

Personally, I don't care if the rest of the NFL world is looking at this as ridiculous or laughing at the Jets.  I'm used to it.  It's been this way forever.  But if the decision to fire Macc improves the team, gets a GM that is actually coordinated with the HC, and results in future wins......then we'll be the ones laughing.

Honest question - Would you rather have had the Jets keep Maccagnan and not had the NFL world laughing, or would you rather they have fired him if Chris Johnson thinks it's the best thing for the team?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Personally, I don't care if the rest of the NFL world is looking at this as ridiculous or laughing at the Jets.  I'm used to it.  It's been this way forever.  But if the decision to fire Macc improves the team, gets a GM that is actually coordinated with the HC, and results in future wins......then we'll be the ones laughing.

Honest question - Would you rather have had the Jets keep Maccagnan and not had the NFL world laughing, or would you rather they have fired him if Chris Johnson thinks it's the best thing for the team?

Historically when the rest of the NFL world has laughed at us, they've been right.  We were the only ones trying to make sense of it and pouring all the sugar we could find on the dog $hit that was our team and it's decisions.  So there's that.  I'm used to it too man. It doesn't mean I'm into it. I look at the rest of the world as a barometer of sorts. And boy oh boy is it ugly out there right now.

To answer your question isn't so black and white. I only want the Jets to win. That's it. I didn't love Macc but I certainly didn't hate him like many here.  I saw progress blah blah blah.  I sorta wanted to move on but know that it's a crap shoot out there and that we would most likely be hiring another rookie GM. As fun as that is to watch,(our last 4 GM's were rookies) I'm weary of that stuff. I just wanted to stay the course and put a good team on the field. That was happening.

I didn't want Gase at all, but I can support it. I love Sam and many other moves we made. We had something brewing. now we have a power struggle that turned sour and here we go. Back into Shameville.  If you think this is going well, I strongly disagree.  The Lee trade today shows just how much of an A$$hole Gase is. Cou;dn;t wait till tomorrow even?  We heard all about it before he got here and he couldn't make it through one off season without conflict. It's just beginning. 

Now we hear he doesn't like Bell or G williams. How fun.  I'm still rooting for it all to work but this has the makings of an absolute train wreck that will need to be torn down again. Effectively wasting Darnolds prime years and we can watch him run for the hills to escape in a few years.  This is the time to be professional. Not act like we are acting right now.

Everyone is just blinded by wanting Macc gone. That's how I see it. I hope that answers your question. ?  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Aside from the terrible timing of this move I would be happy that mac is finally gone if I had more confidence in Adam Gase.  He has simply done nothing in this league to warrant the kind of power and sway he seems to have and the guy they hire as a gm will be his puppet.  The org chart still is upside down and backwards for a functional football team.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Chris Johnson finally realizes he made a huge mistake not firing Maccagnan before and does the RIGHT thing by not forfeiting another season for that doofus and corrects his mistake by firing him now.   Bravo.  And I don't give a sht what the rest of the NFL says.  They are wrong.   Macc had to go several months ago.  Owner makes a mistake and lets him stay.  Realizes what colossal blunder that was  and has the balls to correct it.  (More balls than Maccagnan ever showed).

This is a GOOD business decision. Everyone else is wrong. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Macc had to go. The only mistake was not doing it when they canned Bowles. Lee? Word is Macc was holding out for a 5th. Gase was like a 5th? GTFO. Just trade him. Macc already made Lee a player without a position why was he still on the roster? Just another example of how bad a GM this guy was. I didn't want Gase at all. Rarely do coaches do well when going from one team to the other in consecutive seasons. At least Gase is decisive and got Lee out of here instead of dragging it out. Lee had one foot out the door anyway. You weren't getting much more for him.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It really is mind-boggling.  The Jets gave the fans what they wanted.....and now our fans are confused and flailing around looking for a way to complain about it.

Sheezus Christmas!  Get ready for a newspaper headline in the year 2025, "Jets fans upset that their second consecutive Super Bowl will be played in a dome stadium." :rolleyes:

I said before last season even ended that whether we hired a new GM with a coach Or kept Mac, that person was going to have a hell of a task with all of our own free agents, acquiring new talent and trying to trade down in the draft. This was an insurmountable task and difficult for even the best GMs.

I’m sure this unique offseason influenced keeping Mac to get through the offseason and see if he could “wow” anyone. The only downside with doing this is that it make’s us look bad to outsiders who don’t know our situation. We are not a forward thinking organization EVER so I’m not surprised by this.

Mac was so bad that even with this extremely difficult 2019 offseason, I would have fired him with Todd and just did the best that we could. We earned credibility by sticking with Mac and Bowles despite being terrible and showed patience and willingness to build the right way.

Now we look less attractive and like a circus to outsiders all because we wanted player personnel continuity for the offseason. I get it but disagree with waiting to fire Mac for the reason that I just stated. That’s all I got. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RobR said:

Today will end up being a great day in Jets history. We canned one of, if not the worst GM in the league and traded Lee for peanuts.

If the reports are true about us landing an up and coming GM and bringing in DJ(not so happy about that) this could be the best move we've made ever. 

Well, we are the circus so we probably needed them to feed the elephants.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Macc had to go. The only mistake was not doing it when they canned Bowles. Lee? Word is Macc was holding out for a 5th. Gase was like a 5th? GTFO. Just trade him. Macc already made Lee a player without a position why was he still on the roster? Just another example of how bad a GM this guy was. I didn't want Gase at all. Rarely do coaches do well when going from one team to the other in consecutive seasons. At least Gase is decisive and got Lee out of here instead of dragging it out. Lee had one foot out the door anyway. You weren't getting much more for him.

The absolute KEY word in all of this. I watched Kim Jones on NFL last night, and she emphasized that point at least 5-6 times when she spoke of her interview with Chris Johnson. Said he basically lived in the building since the Gase hire, and knew he had to make this change. Wanted a decisive leader building this team. Could have done it earlier, but wanted to be totally sure he was doing the right thing. Is the timing crazy? Of course, but it is the right move. Back to that word....decisive. As in not being able to make a decision on Paradis, to help protect Sam? Letting Barr walk out of Florham Park without getting deal done? Having a trade down in the 1st rd, but not being able to pull trigger?  Thank goodness somebody(Gase) had the balls to tell Chris that this crap has to end, and Chris listened.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Chris Johnson finally realizes he made a huge mistake not firing Maccagnan before and does the RIGHT thing by not forfeiting another season for that doofus and corrects his mistake by firing him now.   Bravo.  And I don't give a sht what the rest of the NFL says.  They are wrong.   Macc had to go several months ago.  Owner makes a mistake and lets him stay.  Realizes what colossal blunder that was  and has the balls to correct it.  (More balls than Maccagnan ever showed).

This is a GOOD business decision. Everyone else is wrong. 

Yeah?  Well it would be the first time the Jets got something right on the rest of the league. That's for sure.  You keep thinking that. Truth is I'm rooting for you to be right. Honestly I am.  But I struggle to accept that. How long do we defend this org's moronic ways? 

This is very consistent with the way the Jets have been run for years and how has that worked out for us?  If it took CJ until now to realize anything about Macc, we are in big trouble. This was Macc's strongest offseason.  So what happened now that CJ came to his senses and did the Bravo move? OL maybe?  WR Maybe? I'd say its more likely Gase couldn't co exist with yet another person. Williams is most likely next. Will that be a move you applaud as well ? 

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

the rest of the world honestly loves to point, make fun of, criticize and laugh at the jets no matter what we do. Literally most of the league and media give us shyt for the same exact things that other team does. 

10 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Oh man, what a day this is going to be to look back on in a year, 5 years, 10 years...

One way or another this is a big day in Jets history... Good or bad. This is a lot different than just your average GM canning or coach hire... This is a hell of a foundational shakeup all wrapped up in a ridiculous package. 

my nephew's wife gave birth to a baby boy...  I will always remember this date... eff th effing Jets!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

the rest of the world honestly loves to point, make fun of, criticize and laugh at the jets no matter what we do. Literally most of the league and media give us shyt for the same exact things that other team does. 

Meh, And we give them tons of reasons to do it man. 

The last few weeks had a lot fo talk about our potential to make the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I said before last season even ended that whether we hired a new GM with a coach Or kept Mac, that person was going to have a hell of a task with all of our own free agents, acquiring new talent and trying to trade down in the draft. This was an insurmountable task and difficult for even the best GMs.

I’m sure this unique offseason influenced keeping Mac to get through the offseason and see if he could “wow” anyone. The only downside with doing this is that it make’s us look bad to outsiders who don’t know our situation. We are not a forward thinking organization EVER so I’m not surprised by this.

Mac was so bad that even with this extremely difficult 2019 offseason, I would have fired him with Todd and just did the best that we could. We earned credibility by sticking with Mac and Bowles despite being terrible and showed patience and willingness to build the right way.

Now we look less attractive and like a circus to outsiders all because we wanted player personnel continuity for the offseason. I get it but disagree with waiting to fire Mac for the reason that I just stated. That’s all I got. 

I don't care how we look.  I care if we win.  The Jets will look fine to the guy they already have in mind to take over for Maccagnan is my guess.

For people who wanted Macc gone there is no bad time, and they certainly shouldn't have wanted to wait until after the 2019 season just so that it looked better.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't care how we look.  I care if we win.  The Jets will look fine to the guy they already have in mind to take over for Maccagnan is my guess.

For people who wanted Macc gone there is no bad time, and they certainly shouldn't have wanted to wait until after the 2019 season just so that it looked better.

I completely agree and I don’t care either but that’s why people are reacting the way that they are and I understand where they are coming from is all. It is what it is and time to move forward. 

11 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Jets can only go up, no more crash and burn.

I hope.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

The absolute KEY word in all of this. I watched Kim Jones on NFL last night, and she emphasized that point at least 5-6 times when she spoke of her interview with Chris Johnson. Said he basically lived in the building since the Gase hire, and knew he had to make this change. Wanted a decisive leader building this team. Could have done it earlier, but wanted to be totally sure he was doing the right thing. Is the timing crazy? Of course, but it is the right move. Back to that word....decisive. As in not being able to make a decision on Paradis, to help protect Sam? Letting Barr walk out of Florham Park without getting deal done? Having a trade down in the 1st rd, but not being able to pull trigger?  Thank goodness somebody(Gase) had the balls to tell Chris that this crap has to end, and Chris listened.

If true as reported by Jones, then this makes more sense.

If CJ wasn't ready to fire Macc at the end of the season (even though he had concerns), could he have realistically done it in Feb, March or April given the timing of FA starting and draft prep that was being finalized?

I'm not sure he could/should have. Who would they have been able to bring in that would have known our roster and cap situation at that time to navigate FA and prepare for the draft? I guess the only answer would have been to give Gase the reigns then.

Yea, but this is the Jets, just wait and see what they replace them with.

True, but at least a guy who has a work ethic that impresses a guy like Peyton Manning is making moves within the organization to ensure he surrounds himself with people that are decisive and bold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct....and that potential hasn't changed one iota because the coffee cup is gone.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

It has very little to do with macc and everything to do with Gase. So he’s our HC, OC, QB coach and will be choosing the next GM. This sounds healthy to you?

He’s already quoted as saying he doesn’t like the bell and Mosley deals and didn’t want Williams. Then CJ states he approved the deals. Sounds like CJ and Gase May be at odds too. Off and running the wrong way here.

I’m hoping for the best of course, but this is ugly

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It has very little to do with macc and everything to do with Gase. So he’s our HC, OC, QB coach and will be choosing the next GM. This sounds healthy to you?

He’s already quoted as saying he doesn’t like the bell and Mosley deals and didn’t want Williams. Then CJ states he approved the deals. Sounds like CJ and Gase May be at odds too. Off and running the wrong way here.

I’m hoping for the best of course, but this is ugly

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Actually he was not "quoted" about Bell, Mosley, etc. Those are reports by the same media that didnt see the mac firing coming. Take it for what its worth but I think it's being presented worse than it really is. I didnt want bell for 14m if there is nobody else bidding isnt the same as not wanting him. That's a business decision. I dont know of Gase will be "choosing" the GM more so than CJ asking if this is a better fit. I dont have a problem with that because.. a. the last guy was horrible and b. I want 2 guys that can work well together.

It's better for Sam if there is a cohesive team in place.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Let's just shove the Macc fireing to the side for a second, that is not where the focus should be. The team hired Gase after he failed in Miami, there were rumors he caused a terrible amount of drama with the front office and players. Fast forward to his first press conference where most of the world thought the guy looked like he was on drugs (red flag?) then he caused drama in our front office he is causing drama with our players (making it public that he doesn't think bell and Mosley are worth the money we have already paid and guaranteed them? What does he hope to accomplish with it?) Macc gets fired and we (temporarily?) promote this guy and give him control over the roster and we are supposed to be excited and optimistic? Anyone who is optimistic about what just happened is in a fog of denial and blinded by their hatred for Macc but make no mistake we just set the team way back we did not get better.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Whingers gonna whinge

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Let's just shove the Macc fireing to the side for a second, that is not where the focus should be. The team hired Gase after he failed in Miami, there were rumors he caused a terrible amount of drama with the front office and players. Fast forward to his first press conference where most of the world thought the guy looked like he was on drugs (red flag?) then he caused drama in our front office he is causing drama with our players (making it public that he doesn't think bell and Mosley are worth the money we have already paid and guaranteed them? What does he hope to accomplish with it?) Macc gets fired and we (temporarily?) promote this guy and give him control over the roster and we are supposed to be excited and optimistic? Anyone who is optimistic about what just happened is in a fog of denial and blinded by their hatred for Macc but make no mistake we just set the team way back we did not get better.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

You just named two of the biggest criticisms of Cleveland Head Coach, Bill Belichick.  He failed in Cleveland and then he succeeded in NE.  His failures were partly due to not pushing back on a bad front office.  He didn't get to do things his way.  In New England, it's completely his show.

Press conferences?  You ever seen a Bill Belichick presser?

I don't care if the guy is obtuse, if there's friction, if he's an alpha and wants things done his way, if he hates being at a podium and answering questions.  I want a smart guy that knows football and wins games.  There's a chance Gase can be that guy.

Belichick had no QB in Cleveland.  He's obviously had one in NE.

Gase had a sh!tshow of QBs in Miami who he dragged to almost a .500 record.  I think he'll have a better one here.

NO, I'm not saying Gase is the next Belichick, I'm just saying there are similarities and the criticisms Gase is getting are things like he's too tough, he's speaking his mind, some players may not like him.  I guess it's only okay when Bill Parcells calls his #1 WR "she" during a press conference.

• Post of the Week 1

I keep going through all the emotions today.

Mostly I've been hanging my head at how ridiculous of a circus this seems to be. Just dysfunction central, right?

But then I swing back and remember that sometimes it takes chaos to bring out some clarity... Fixing things isn't always neat and tidy.

So the optics look bad, people continue to roll their eyes at the Jets; but if this is done right it could really mean big things... I'm going to try and focus on the football side of things and try to keep an eye on who's in the running, instead of reading articles about internal strife or who went behind who's back... Onwards and upwards.