Thoughts

1. The Jets in one day have taken the circus title back from the Giants. Congratulations.

2. I hope the people who wanted Maccagnan fired are happy. Because if they are not wanted him gone at all costs, here are the costs.

3. The New York Media are all whiny brats.

4. They better make the playoffs now

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

Thoughts:

Macc can go to a more suitable job, perhaps handing out free samples of pizza rolls at Costco.  Maybe after a few years he can make it to Taquitos.

I’m telling you, this explains why a clone of Mac magically appeared in my training in Pittsburgh this week. The timing is too coincidental. I’ll be stuck working for the same company as Mac. It’s my own poetic hell/justice for hating him so much. Nooooo!!!!!! 

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. The Jets in one day have taken the circus title back from the Giants. Congratulations.

2. I hope the people who wanted Maccagnan fired are happy. Because if they are not wanted him gone at all costs, here are the costs.

3. The New York Media are all whiny brats.

4. They better make the playoffs now

The circus badge is theirs and as long as Johnson owns the team it always will be a circus. Its like a bad tattoo. Every few years they try and get a cover tattoo that turns out worse than the original.  Mac should not have been fired??

• Upvote 2

The media calls it a circus, because of how it was done but this was expected to happen. It was a matter of when it was going to happen. We all expected at the end of the season, but never this early. Chris Johnson made a statement and enough is enough and a change needed to happen quick. 

I hope they have someone in mind to replace Maccagnan now. I hope it doesn't take a month in their search.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Here are my thoughts:

1- Connor Hughes and Manish are absolute divas who are acting like NYJ just burned down an orphanage. Already unfollowed both of those morons. F*** both of them and Mac for the Gase/bell parting shots which are also getting blown out of proportion.

2- This is getting blown way out of proportion. Mac should have been gone a long time ago and we all wanted him gone

3- If anything throughout this process it’s shown me that Gase is a logical thinker and wants to win. This is probably his last HC shot for a while  (if it goes bad) if you were in his shoes knowing it’s win or die, wouldn’t you want to get rid of all the weakness around you? 

4- Gase did us all a favor regardless of the timing it’s literally what we’ve wanted for years but because it didn’t happen the way we wanted it to “the circus is back in town” absolutely ridiculous.

5- We have a promising coaching staff, the most talent we’ve had in years and our F.O is being rebuilt which is exactly what this team has needed.

good points.  imo it would be more of a circus if they held onto mac and kept him for another draft.  the circus existed because they hired two head coaches in a row who were actually player coaches.  i'm not sure what kind of coach gase will be but he certainly comes to the job with more credibility as a coordinator and head coach than either rex or bowles did.

• Upvote 1

Media does it cause they know jets fans will eat it up .. you think Macc is first GM to run a team offseason right before he gets fired ? 

The fact that some of these media dudes will say things like I feel sorry for jets fans Is crap its just away to rile us up . No one here is feeling sorry Macc got fired . We all wanted that . 

Im just ready to see who new GM and head Scout are gonna be 

• Post of the Week 1

Adam Schefter tore us a new one on live tv when it happened too. Apparently Maccagnan and Heimerdinger completely rebuilt the Jets, gave us our QB, gave us talented players and we fired them unfairly. 

Its like Outsiders really have no idea.. NO IDEA... how bad Mike Maccagnan really was at his job. It’s pitiful that people are acting like this is some unprecedented incident. The circus talk is comical, you have a guy who missed on nearly 87% of his picks over 5 years but clearly the timing of it all makes us a circus?? I feel like we’d be more of a circus if we just kept him and let the distractions, arguments, ineptitude and drama build up and boil over into the season.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Butterfield said:

Who will just be a figurehead for gase.

Realistically, he’ll be a guy that Gase has an input choosing, which means they’ll be on the same page from square one. That can’t be any worse than the previous GM situation if you ask me. 

Secondly, I don’t think Gase wants a yes man. I think he wants a strong personality who can get on the same page with him offensively and by offensively I mean actually, you know, rebuilding the OL and getting Sam targets. Gase seems like a guy who wants his voice to be accounted for well but I don’t think he wants to give a GM a laundry list and tell him to run his errands(offseason wishes)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Realistically, he’ll be a guy that Gase has an input choosing, which means they’ll be on the same page from square one. That can’t be any worse than the previous GM situation if you ask me. 

Secondly, I don’t think Gase wants a yes man. I think he wants a strong personality who can get on the same page with him offensively and by offensively I mean actually, you know, rebuilding the OL and getting Sam targets. Gase seems like a guy who wants his voice to be accounted for well but I don’t think he wants to give a GM a laundry list and tell him to run his errands(offseason wishes)

I disagree

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Who will just be a figurehead for gase.

Yes, I can not imagine why a guy with Douglas's resume' would want to even consider this sh*t show and being AG's B*tch? He has a pretty impressive track record so why do this to your career? Gase has a terrible record as a coach to  date.

2 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Yes, I can not imagine why a guy with Douglas's resume' would want to even consider this sh*t show and being AG's B*tch? He has a pretty impressive track record so why do this to your career? Gase has a terrible record as a coach to  date.

It will be fun to do this all over again in 2 or 3 years.

For anyone who wants to look at this objectively and not simply read what media idiots are saying please think of this.

Teams are allowed to block coaching and FO candidates from interviewing while their team is playing.  Douglas was the front runner for the Texans job but the Eagles went to the SB and the Texans hired Brian Gaine.

Guess what teams can block the jets now - NONE.  Guess what other teams are competing with us for Douglas, Eliot Wolf, or any other young candidate out there - NONE.

Mac didnt do a good job here.  He was consistently indecisive and is probably an excellent scout, but there is way more to this job then scouting.  We now have a direct line to at top candidate who can come in, have 2 months before training camp, pick his staff and actually be here because they want to work with Gase and Sam.

Its not a circus.  Its unfortunate that it didnt work out, but just because teams "usually fire people in January" doesnt mean its horrible to do it in May

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

For anyone who wants to look at this objectively and not simply read what media idiots are saying please think of this.

Teams are allowed to block coaching and FO candidates from interviewing while their team is playing.  Douglas was the front runner for the Texans job but the Eagles went to the SB and the Texans hired Brian Gaine.

Guess what teams can block the jets now - NONE.  Guess what other teams are competing with us for Douglas, Eliot Wolf, or any other young candidate out there - NONE.

Mac didnt do a good job here.  He was consistently indecisive and is probably an excellent scout, but there is way more to this job then scouting.  We now have a direct line to at top candidate who can come in, have 2 months before training camp, pick his staff and actually be here because they want to work with Gase and Sam.

Its not a circus.  Its unfortunate that it didnt work out, but just because teams "usually fire people in January" doesnt mean its horrible to do it in May

Depending on the circumstances, teams can still block candidates from interviewing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Here are my thoughts:

1- Connor Hughes and Manish are absolute divas who are acting like NYJ just burned down an orphanage. Already unfollowed both of those morons. F*** both of them and Mac for the Gase/bell parting shots which are also getting blown out of proportion.

2- This is getting blown way out of proportion. Mac should have been gone a long time ago and we all wanted him gone

3- If anything throughout this process it’s shown me that Gase is a logical thinker and wants to win. This is probably his last HC shot for a while  (if it goes bad) if you were in his shoes knowing it’s win or die, wouldn’t you want to get rid of all the weakness around you? 

4- Gase did us all a favor regardless of the timing it’s literally what we’ve wanted for years but because it didn’t happen the way we wanted it to “the circus is back in town” absolutely ridiculous.

5- We have a promising coaching staff, the most talent we’ve had in years and our F.O is being rebuilt which is exactly what this team has needed.

disagree

the time to get rid of Macc was when they fired bowles why so everyone would be on the same page

a sub 500 record coach has done nothing in the nfl and is getting all this defense from people here better come out winning. considering he drove off any vestige of protection from the previous staff so no excuses about players or the GM the pressueis on gase pure and simple

if anything along with his track record if gase drove out macc it shows and confirms his ego issues that were brought up in Miami, that ego will not work in NY you can be beliicheck with a losing record. The media will eat you alive

gase did noone a favor because of the timing...he should be coaching and working with Sam not pretending to be the gm, he should be working on game plans and getting to 500 as a coach not spreading his attention over the staff and scout plus the actual players

there are no excuses for any failure this is on him and the Johnsons, Every bad performance will be under the microscope every thing said as well. 

A great coach gets players to buy into his system he does not alienate owners and players but lets see what Happens as a Jet fan I want to win but nothing in these moves or the timing of them reeks of confidence in this team or the owner

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

if it is a lateral move teams can still block interviews whether they are playing or not. If I was an Oline coach and another team wanted to make me an offer for the same type of position they would have to include a promotion like Olinecoach/assistant head coach if not the team that owns my contract can block it an older article but unless the rules changed dramatically it should apply

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d815667b9/article/changing-coaching-staffs-isnt-as-easy-for-teams-as-it-once-was

13 minutes ago, rammagen said:

if it is a lateral move teams can still block interviews whether they are playing or not. If I was an Oline coach and another team wanted to make me an offer for the same type of position they would have to include a promotion like Olinecoach/assistant head coach if not the team that owns my contract can block it an older article but unless the rules changed dramatically it should apply

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d815667b9/article/changing-coaching-staffs-isnt-as-easy-for-teams-as-it-once-was

Ok a but we aren’t hiring someone who is a GM so none of the moves will be lateral

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Ok a but we aren’t hiring someone who is a GM so none of the moves will be lateral

but the original team can still offer the same position and effectively stop the Jets from hiring douglas, I doubt they will as the eagles have a gm. I.E. in my example the original team can give me that title. The eagles already blocked the texans from interviewing douglas for the gm position once using the fact they were still in the playoffs. I am just saying the eagles if they dont want to lose him can make him a vp or president of player personnel as an example to give him a higher job title if they wanted to

• Upvote 1

The timing of the move being horrid is just a symptom of the larger problem here.

The biggest issue is that Chris Johnson seems to be very reactive and seemingly eschews data in favor of emotional or instinctive feelings when making his decisions. There's plenty of valid reasons why Mac should've been gone a while ago (our entire record while he's been here, the utterly tragic roster and resource management, lack of a coherent long term plan, draft record, free agent record, etc.) but it took him witnessing friction and discord between the head coach/heimerdinger/operations team (whichever you believe) to finally make the move? Yes, being a bad manager is also a problem, but it should never have gotten this far if he in any way made decisions like successful businesses make decisions, which is based on quantifiable evidence with large sample size. 

Right result but for the wrong reasons is still a huge problem because he doesn't seem to be learning in any way. Think about Bowles's tenure here. His main rationale for keeping him as long as he did seems to have been that the locker room respected and liked him and played hard for him despite the fact that he is really a subpar NFL head coach and the team never had a winning season after the first year.

What was the reasoning for firing Bowles and keeping Mac this offseason? The decision was obviously made by the bye week last year. Despite overwhelming evidence over four years that was there to get rid of Mac, what could possibly have suggested that he should get another shot at it? Why should he have any influence in picking the next head coach? Why should he run free agency? Why should he be the final decisionmaker on the draft?

I frankly don't know, but what is baffling was that somehow in the time between Gase and the staff being hired and yesterday the winds of change seem to have decided it was time to about face on the decision to keep Mac.

Having some more time to digest it I have some more calmer thoughts

1. The Jets have a terrible organizational setup. Been that way for years and we know it. Nothing you can do about it

2. Manish Mehta is a hack a doodle do. Adam Gase didn't want a C in FA? What utter rubbish is that? Why would the guy who likes Sam Darnold not want a C protecting him?  What an idiot. 

3. And this might be the most important aspect. If they win in September and have a good season, all of this goes out the window. It becomes nothing. So it is imperative for Gase to start strong

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Gase is an alpha male, alpha males don't like other alpha males.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Adam Schefter tore us a new one on live tv when it happened too. Apparently Maccagnan and Heimerdinger completely rebuilt the Jets, gave us our QB, gave us talented players and we fired them unfairly. 

Its like Outsiders really have no idea.. NO IDEA... how bad Mike Maccagnan really was at his job. It’s pitiful that people are acting like this is some unprecedented incident. The circus talk is comical, you have a guy who missed on nearly 87% of his picks over 5 years but clearly the timing of it all makes us a circus?? I feel like we’d be more of a circus if we just kept him and let the distractions, arguments, ineptitude and drama build up and boil over into the season.

He wasn't alone. Most of the legit guys I listen to (I'm rarely on the twitter rollercoaster) see this as a bad way to do things. While I am ok with moving on from Macc in a general sense, Here are a few of my concerns. 

1. The consistent problem we've all discussed about the hierarchy in this org is now guaranteed to continue. Having Gase be a part of the braintrust that will choose the next GM is a$$ backwards. Everyone knows this, including the guys on here who support this move the most. Having a HC pick the GM is just weird at best. 

2. Adam Gase was a polarizing hire. I was not in favor of it when it happened, but have tried to look on the bright side since he arrived.  He came in here with a history of having difficulties in the personal relationship department as well as getting rid of talented players for personal reasons. That's fine, but it seems to be happening here quickly. He couldn't make it through one offseason to see the real lay of the land. maybe that's a good thing in the long run. For me it's a concern. I mean the guy couldn't even be involved in the draft process. He was nowhere to be seen like a pouty little child. That's not good.

3. The stuff with Bell and Mosely is more than likely being blown out of proportion, but it seems to ring a similar bell (no pun intended) as we all saw in Miami.  Now we are hearing about him not wanting Williams. My concern is the guy needs to know when and how to shut the hell up and keep things in order. I am seeing no reason to believe that's the case with him.  In truth we are seeing the first examples of why Miami let him go. 

4. The rookie GM thing. You know from our previous discussions on the subject, that one of the reasons I was in favor of keeping Macc through the Bowles firing was to keep continuity with a guy and staff who have been here for 4 years and made their rookie mistakes already.  I'm not so much a Macc fan as I am tired of watching us give guys their first shot at the big chair only to watch as it proves too much for them. I am hoping we can find some top notch guys who know their stuff, but if history serves to teach us anything, it's that hiring a first time GM new guy will be a dumpster fire and we will all want him gone in a few min.  I'd like to see them hire someone with actual GM experience but that won't happen. Guys are all psyched for Douglass but until 2 weeks ago, no one knew his name or who he was. People here are referring to him as "the Eagles guy" lol  

5. Gase again. I'm concerned this guy is a problem. His track record is spotty man. People are being blinded by wanting Macc to go. That's fine. i didn't love him either and this draft was very frustrating for me. I get it. But my fear is that we are about to watch our new HC kick and stomp his way to getting everything he wants and he has no track record to support being able to do that.  People are comparing our situation to the Pats, the Raiders or Chiefs for historical support. That's laughable to me. Everyone of those coaches have been to the Super Bowl as HC's. It's entirely different with Gase who's only trip to the big dance was on the coat tails of one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. And as an OC. 

Again, I'm rooting for this to all work out. Nothing would make me happier than for CJ to come out of this looking like the smartest man in the room. Gase too.  I'd love it!!!

It just doesn't look that way and we have zero to support that this is all of the sudden a stroke of brilliance from our owner or our HC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1