Thoughts

24 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

1. The consistent problem we've all discussed about the hierarchy in this org is now guaranteed to continue. Having Gase be a part of the braintrust that will choose the next GM is a$$ backwards. Everyone knows this, including the guys on here who support this move the most. Having a HC pick the GM is just weird at best. 

This was my main problem with it. It should have been done a few months ago and we look very VERY unprofessional because of it. Agreed. I think it’s a little less weird because our power structure is already ass-backwards and they both report to the owner...but it’s still not much of an excuse for it being just plain ODD. But really it would of been worse if we let it boil over into the season. That’s toxic.

2. Adam Gase was a polarizing hire. I was not in favor of it when it happened, but have tried to look on the bright side since he arrived.  He came in here with a history of having difficulties in the personal relationship department as well as getting rid of talented players for personal reasons. That's fine, but it seems to be happening here quickly. He couldn't make it through one offseason to see the real lay of the land. maybe that's a good thing in the long run. For me it's a concern. I mean the guy couldn't even be involved in the draft process. He was nowhere to be seen like a pouty little child. That's not good.

Agreed

here too. I wanted to damn near off myself when we hired him, I warmed up a bit, now I’m like ... okay that’s why I wanted to grab a noose the whole time. Granted it takes two to have an argument, Maccagnan and Gase both never clicked, never could and as a result — well you know the rest. On the other hand, from a more positive perspective, if he can help hand pick a GM that he already has a well established relationship with, a guy that can get on the same page as him, a guy that Gase RESPECTS. 

Then maybe we can right this ship. Oh Gregg and Gase really have to play nice too. We can’t have any more BS if we want a shot at some kind of growth in the form of success this year.

3. The stuff with Bell and Mosely is more than likely being blown out of proportion, but it seems to ring a similar bell (no pun intended) as we all saw in Miami.  Now we are hearing about him not wanting Williams. My concern is the guy needs to know when and how to shut the hell up and keep things in order. I am seeing no reason to believe that's the case with him.  In truth we are seeing the first examples of why Miami let him go. 

This is Manish taking shots because his boyfriend was axed. He’s stirring the pot for clicks and Rich Cimini has tagged along for a few click too. These NYC Sports Beat Writers are like little leeches. If there’s blood in the water, best believe, they’re using the dramatics of the situation to benefit from. Best thing Gase can do is call Bell into his office and smooth it out. The worst thing he can do is be stubborn and let Bell believe what he wants.

4. The rookie GM thing. You know from our previous discussions on the subject, that one of the reasons I was in favor of keeping Macc through the Bowles firing was to keep continuity with a guy and staff who have been here for 4 years and made their rookie mistakes already.  I'm not so much a Macc fan as I am tired of watching us give guys their first shot at the big chair only to watch as it proves too much for them. I am hoping we can find some top notch guys who know their stuff, but if history serves to teach us anything, it's that hiring a first time GM new guy will be a dumpster fire and we will all want him gone in a few min.  I'd like to see them hire someone with actual GM experience but that won't happen. Guys are all psyched for Douglass but until 2 weeks ago, no one knew his name or who he was. People here are referring to him as "the Eagles guy" lol  

I love Douglas. But I think the thing about fluff articles is that it’ll make you vote for a guy right on the spot and truthfully that’s not good all the time, but Douglas has a fantastic background to consider if you ever were to try another rookie GM. 

It’s worked before. The Colts took the Chiefs up and coming VIP, Chris Ballard. I understand that this isn’t always the case just like not every young offensive coach is Sean McVay ... but this guy Joe Douglas ... he checks out. If you were ever to wanna roll the dice on the Colts blueprint working out ... I think Douglas is your best chance. I do understand your concern though.

5. Gase again. I'm concerned this guy is a problem. His track record is spotty man. People are being blinded by wanting Macc to go. That's fine. i didn't love him either and this draft was very frustrating for me. I get it. But my fear is that we are about to watch our new HC kick and stomp his way to getting everything he wants and he has no track record to support being able to do that.  People are comparing our situation to the Pats, the Raiders or Chiefs for historical support. That's laughable to me. Everyone of those coaches have been to the Super Bowl as HC's. It's entirely different with Gase who's only trip to the big dance was on the coat tails of one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. And as an OC. 

Yeah he better work out or he’ll be gone very soon. He’s silently putting pressure on himself.

2 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

You must not be as busy as I am throughout the day.  I have time for a quick comment, but not an in depth discussion into anything.

You’re good, home slice. I wasn’t worried about it lol.

plenty of time for talk about how the jets suck at being a football team. This won’t be the last goofy thing they do.

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

but the original team can still offer the same position and effectively stop the Jets from hiring douglas, I doubt they will as the eagles have a gm. I.E. in my example the original team can give me that title. The eagles already blocked the texans from interviewing douglas for the gm position once using the fact they were still in the playoffs. I am just saying the eagles if they dont want to lose him can make him a vp or president of player personnel as an example to give him a higher job title if they wanted to

That was my guess in the other thread.

Just like how many teams were interested in DeCosta for years. That he wanted to stay in Baltimore to become their eventual GM is irrelevant; teams still needed to request permission to talk to him or it's tampering. Baltimore - as most teams do - didn't stand in his way, but the whole premise of asking permission is the other team doesn't have to grant it (like Philadelphia/Houston as you bring up). 

How can a team function if every one of its employees below the GM level can be poached at any time so long as they're offered a promotion?

What if their #2 scout was offered a head scout position a week before the draft? They have to let go of a key guy in their war room with no notice? Even talking to him at all, to put bigger $$$ in his eyes, appropriately is tampering because you can have him negatively influence the first team's draft on purpose.

I think there's that one carve-out exception for people after the prior team's final game is played, if he's not under contract for the upcoming season, specifically because teams make FO moves before the upcoming seasons begin: there's the combine; there are tags to consider; there are options to exercise; coaches to hire/fire; etc.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maccagnan Dead-Ender: Actually, the Rebuild is progressing well and we’re a lot closer to competing for a playoff spot than we were. There’s still some work to do, but all the signs are positive and...”

<Maccagnan gets fired>

Macc Dead-Ender: Adam Gase better win a Super Bowl this year because Mike Maccagnan—god rest his soul—left him a championship roster that is ready to go RIGHT. NOW.

@UnitedWhofans I found something for you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

For anyone who wants to look at this objectively and not simply read what media idiots are saying please think of this.

Teams are allowed to block coaching and FO candidates from interviewing while their team is playing.  Douglas was the front runner for the Texans job but the Eagles went to the SB and the Texans hired Brian Gaine.

Guess what teams can block the jets now - NONE.  Guess what other teams are competing with us for Douglas, Eliot Wolf, or any other young candidate out there - NONE.

Mac didnt do a good job here.  He was consistently indecisive and is probably an excellent scout, but there is way more to this job then scouting.  We now have a direct line to at top candidate who can come in, have 2 months before training camp, pick his staff and actually be here because they want to work with Gase and Sam.

Its not a circus.  Its unfortunate that it didnt work out, but just because teams "usually fire people in January" doesnt mean its horrible to do it in May

Stop spreading the truth here.  It will fall on deaf ears.

What you wrote is absolutely correct.  If this isn't the ideal time to replace a GM.....well, it's pretty close to it.  We obviously had a GM and HC who were not on the same page.  Letting that fester and go on would have been gross negligence by Christopher Johnson.  He remedied it.  It's not a fun headline to see and in the vacuum of NFL news in May....this will get ALL the play on NFL shows, TV, the media, etc.  It's the quiet period and the Jets just dropped a bomb.  But, it was the right thing to do.

CJ has balls.  He doesn't care about headlines.  He cares about winning.  Stop shining the turds around here and flush them.  That's what he's doing.

10 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

You must not be as busy as I am throughout the day.  I have time for a quick comment, but not an in depth discussion into anything.

Whatevs buddy.  I'm the busiest man alive.  just a fast typer.  lol 

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

Here are my thoughts:

1- Connor Hughes and Manish are absolute divas who are acting like NYJ just burned down an orphanage. Already unfollowed both of those morons. F*** both of them and Mac for the Gase/bell parting shots which are also getting blown out of proportion.

2- This is getting blown way out of proportion. Mac should have been gone a long time ago and we all wanted him gone

3- If anything throughout this process it’s shown me that Gase is a logical thinker and wants to win. This is probably his last HC shot for a while  (if it goes bad) if you were in his shoes knowing it’s win or die, wouldn’t you want to get rid of all the weakness around you? 

4- Gase did us all a favor regardless of the timing it’s literally what we’ve wanted for years but because it didn’t happen the way we wanted it to “the circus is back in town” absolutely ridiculous.

5- We have a promising coaching staff, the most talent we’ve had in years and our F.O is being rebuilt which is exactly what this team has needed.

Mannnn this is so spot on. I was about to post the exact same thoughts. 

SOO overblown. Jets fired a GM nobody wanted anymore. CHAOSSSSS. GASE IS A TYRANT!!  Gimme a break. He's not the permanent GM, so idk why it's being talked about like he will be. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Realistically, he’ll be a guy that Gase has an input choosing, which means they’ll be on the same page from square one. That can’t be any worse than the previous GM situation if you ask me. 

Secondly, I don’t think Gase wants a yes man. I think he wants a strong personality who can get on the same page with him offensively and by offensively I mean actually, you know, rebuilding the OL and getting Sam targets. Gase seems like a guy who wants his voice to be accounted for well but I don’t think he wants to give a GM a laundry list and tell him to run his errands(offseason wishes)

You and I could not be any further apart on our views of this PK.

To me, this isn't about the firing of Macc. It's all about Gase, and the fact that all my concerns about him are coming true.

How does a guy with a sub .500 record who was just run out of town in Miami after alienating players and ownership come here, and within a few months gain total control of the NYJ? He is now the interim GM and will choose the new one, someone who will be totally beholden to him. He is the HC. He is the QB whisperer. He will call plays. He will be the QB coach. He will be the OC. I wouldn't want to be Greg Williams right now, that's for sure.

As much as I want to be on board with this guy, its very hard to imagine this ending well. He isn't Belichek, yet he's been given the same power, and this situation is nothing like the one in KC when the Chiefs fired Dorsey. Andy Reid is a well established and respected HC. Adam Gase is not that, yet the Jets made him King yesterday.

EDIT I just sawyou and @GREENBEAN basically covered all of this. I'm a little late to the party. OOPS

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, SR24 said:

Here are my thoughts:

1- Connor Hughes and Manish are absolute divas who are acting like NYJ just burned down an orphanage. Already unfollowed both of those morons. F*** both of them and Mac for the Gase/bell parting shots which are also getting blown out of proportion.

2- This is getting blown way out of proportion. Mac should have been gone a long time ago and we all wanted him gone

3- If anything throughout this process it’s shown me that Gase is a logical thinker and wants to win. This is probably his last HC shot for a while  (if it goes bad) if you were in his shoes knowing it’s win or die, wouldn’t you want to get rid of all the weakness around you? 

4- Gase did us all a favor regardless of the timing it’s literally what we’ve wanted for years but because it didn’t happen the way we wanted it to “the circus is back in town” absolutely ridiculous.

5- We have a promising coaching staff, the most talent we’ve had in years and our F.O is being rebuilt which is exactly what this team has needed.

you're doing it wrong. you're supposed to start your own thread. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. The Jets in one day have taken the circus title back from the Giants. Congratulations.

2. I hope the people who wanted Maccagnan fired are happy. Because if they are not wanted him gone at all costs, here are the costs.

3. The New York Media are all whiny brats.

4. They better make the playoffs now

well, at least this time you're not proclaiming them to be 'deep'

1. The Jets in one day have taken the circus title back from the Giants. Congratulations.

2. I hope the people who wanted Maccagnan fired are happy. Because if they are not wanted him gone at all costs, here are the costs.

3. The New York Media are all whiny brats.

4. They better make the playoffs now

You hit on everything. 

The media is so pissed and offended that they were lied to. 

It needs to be the playoffs - and yet Gase could always blame the moves of Maccagnan's ineptness to buy him more time. 

NFLN is making fun of whiney Jets fans.  That the move was justified, that they wanted it and now are almost bragging that the Jets are worse off than the Giants and are celebrating that.  Cant figure out why the Jet fan is so self loathing 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Having some more time to digest it I have some more calmer thoughts

1. The Jets have a terrible organizational setup. Been that way for years and we know it. Nothing you can do about it

2. Manish Mehta is a hack a doodle do. Adam Gase didn't want a C in FA? What utter rubbish is that? Why would the guy who likes Sam Darnold not want a C protecting him?  What an idiot. 

3. And this might be the most important aspect. If they win in September and have a good season, all of this goes out the window. It becomes nothing. So it is imperative for Gase to start strong

+1 A team that just won the Super Bowl has survived cheating scandals, deflate gate etc,the QB going over the HC/GM's head to the owner because the HC wanted to keep a QB that the QB wanted gone..A TE that liked to kill people. A owner that was dating a Bimbo after his wife died and then was caught on tape getting a happy head ending in a massage parlor.  Winning cures everything for most teams but Jet fans seem to love misery and being members of the Chicken Little Brigade for life..:roll: 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Thoughts:

Macc can go to a more suitable job, perhaps handing out free samples of pizza rolls at Costco.  Maybe after a few years he can make it to Taquitos.

Where is this Costco? 

Maccagnan was a scout who got Peter Principle overpromoted to GM. Looked like a mess, but check back here around New Year's Eve, and we'll see how it worked out; would wager it will be a major improvement. This move will look better and better every day in the rear view. Would hope (but don't know) the Johnsons woke the f__ up to the idea that they need a cutthroat  running the show and not a go along get along GM as they have had FOREVER. Steve Serby and Manish Meht don't like it; F__ THEM SIDEWAYS. Stop caring what a bunch of twiiterverse a-holes think and worry about having  a serious offense and hardcore pass rush. And a GM whos tops obsessing about things that don't much matter or should not be a priority. 

Simply the fact you have a franchise QB in place and the OL is still right now TERRIBLE is a firing offense, period. 

48 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

To me, this isn't about the firing of Macc. It's all about Gase, and the fact that all my concerns about him are coming true.

How does a guy with a sub .500 record who was just run out of town in Miami after alienating players and ownership come here, and within a few months gain total control of the NYJ? He is now the interim GM and will choose the new one, someone who will be totally beholden to him. He is the HC. He is the QB whisperer. He will call plays. He will be the QB coach. He will be the OC. I wouldn't want to be Greg Williams right now, that's for sure.

As much as I want to be on board with this guy, its very hard to imagine this ending well. He isn't Belichek, yet he's been given the same power, and this situation is nothing like the one in KC when the Chiefs fired Dorsey. Andy Reid is a well established and respected HC. Adam Gase is not that, yet the Jets made him King yesterday.

EDIT I just sawyou and @GREENBEAN basically covered all of this. I'm a little late to the party. OOPS

I get your concerns but anyone who is great, or destined to be great, needs to be a warrior. I like Gase more and more.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Where is this Costco? 

Maccagnan was a scout who got Peter Principle overpromoted to GM. Looked like a mess, but check back here around New Year's Eve, and we'll see how it worked out; would wager it will be a major improvement. This move will look better and better every day in the rear view. Would hope (but don't know) the Johnsons woke the f__ up to the idea that they need a cutthroat  running the show and not a go along get along GM as they have had FOREVER. Steve Serby and Manish Meht don't like it; F__ THEM SIDEWAYS. Stop caring what a bunch of twiiterverse a-holes think and worry about having  a serious offense and hardcore pass rush. And a GM whos tops obsessing about things that don't much matter or should not be a priority. 

Simply the fact you have a franchise QB in place and the OL is still right now TERRIBLE is a firing offense, period. 

SO ARE YOU SAYING HE'S NOT UP TO THE TASK OF PIZZA ROLLS, OR WHAT?  OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT SUGGESTING HE'S TAQUITOS READY.  I'M NOT SAYING HE'S READY FOR THE SHOW.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

adam-gase-3.jpg?quality=90%26strip=all%26w=618%26h=410%26crop=1&key=d7b1c3cad7fe4d51f1d5acf9f07637bf3b636e62686396584827fc8a2d01f5ed

So he has crazy eyes. So what? You’d prefer a guy sitting drinking coffee while the world passes him by? Gase is doing something. He’s actually trying to implement a plan and he wants people that have ******* balls around him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

Here are my thoughts:

Excellent post!!

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So he has crazy eyes. So what? You’d prefer a guy sitting drinking coffee while the world passes him by? Gase is doing something. He’s actually trying to implement a plan and he wants people that have ******* balls around him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have to prefer Maccagnan to not see Adam Gase as an "Alpha Dog (Dawg?)"  I don't see why you think Gase wants people with balls.  He wants people to do what he wants.  Isn't that the opposite of having balls?  He ran several guys out of Miami because he couldn't lead them. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Stop spreading the truth here.  It will fall on deaf ears.

What you wrote is absolutely correct.  If this isn't the ideal time to replace a GM.....well, it's pretty close to it.  We obviously had a GM and HC who were not on the same page.  Letting that fester and go on would have been gross negligence by Christopher Johnson.  He remedied it.  It's not a fun headline to see and in the vacuum of NFL news in May....this will get ALL the play on NFL shows, TV, the media, etc.  It's the quiet period and the Jets just dropped a bomb.  But, it was the right thing to do.

CJ has balls.  He doesn't care about headlines.  He cares about winning.  Stop shining the turds around here and flush them.  That's what he's doing.

The Jets May wind up with a top tier GM replacing someone who has completely underachieved by any metric there is. And people are complaining because it happened in May or because Adam Gase “stabbed Mac in the back”

This team may finally have a HC/GM pairing that wants to work together along with a franchise QB, elite RB, strong draft class and cap space going forward. 

This should be one of the best days in franchise history. 

• Upvote 2

EDIT I just sawyou and [mention=9819]GREENBEAN[/mention] basically covered all of this. I'm a little late to the party. OOPS

I couldn’t have said it better man.

I want very badly for this all to work. I’m fine with macc being gone. Actually I’m sort of in favor of it. But this is more likely about the rotten way that Gase, an odd fella who seems to have a ton of trouble dealing well with people, taking over the Jets.

I’ll still be rooting for it all to work but this is creepy (no Lurker intended) and ugly from my perspective.
And the idea that we just let macc run the offseason like he did and fire him afterward is tough for me to get past. It shows that this org is run by weak minded alpha male wanna be’s and was ripe for the coup. And the guy leading said coup is Adam F*cking Gase for Gods sake!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Well, when was the last time you could say the Jets were a "winning" team?

I've been a fan since the 1960 Titans and except for a short time of Sonny Werblin love Jet fans have hated every owner and GM since then.. Most Jet fans feel any move that they wouldn't have done is wrong and everyone but them is a idiot.. I assume by winning team you mean super bowl?? I know fans of teams that have never won a bowl that don't wallow in self pity like many Jet fans do..