Neil Glat, do the right thing-Step down

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I stated it in my last post, and will again- I made him a straw man in this premise. 

I was actually giving the Johnsons benefit of the doubt that they are actually against the wall on some internal budget on personnel spending (this looks particularly true if you compare the Eagles vs Jets org chart that I linked to)and that it is an "either or or" type of scenario. I prefer not to think that they are so small minded that they think they are actually able to direct pro personnel employees and direct decisions. Maybe they are not.

My personal preference would be to have less personal marketing perks, and more smart personnel decisions that affect on-field decisions. Again, that is jut my personal choice.

Any apologies necessary to the Glat family are given here.

And again, one has nothing to do with the other.

Its not that hard. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

You are entirely entitled to your opinion. I'm just saying there is no salary cap so they don't need anyone to step down to bring in the perfect football mind. 

I am fine with Neil Glat reporting directly to the owner. Talk business stuff. I agree with the premise, they need a football mind on the other side that sites in between everyone and the owner. When the Yankees started winning in the 90's it was because Gene Michael was able to run the organization and when George came back from suspension he was able to talk him out of bad moves. Everyone is an expert these days, for the Johnson brothers they don't have to be football experts. They just have to be rich and hire the right football expert. 

Hmmmm.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/17/jets-gm-job-isnt-the-easy-sell-christopher-johnson-portrays

Who is running the show?

Any candidate is going to want to know the power structure inside the Jets. Johnson said Wednesday that the pecking order would remain the same with the coach and GM both answering to him. But some outsiders look at the Jets and wonder how much meddling goes on from other top members of the organization.

One league source said anyone who interviews should get a definitive answer about the roles of president Neil Glat, senior vice president Hymie Elhai and Johnson adviser Ira Akselrad and how much say they will have into football operations.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hmmmm.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/17/jets-gm-job-isnt-the-easy-sell-christopher-johnson-portrays

Who is running the show?

Any candidate is going to want to know the power structure inside the Jets. Johnson said Wednesday that the pecking order would remain the same with the coach and GM both answering to him. But some outsiders look at the Jets and wonder how much meddling goes on from other top members of the organization.

One league source said anyone who interviews should get a definitive answer about the roles of president Neil Glat, senior vice president Hymie Elhai and Johnson adviser Ira Akselrad and how much say they will have into football operations.

To further this point, toxic organizations sense power voids where leaders "leave their lanes" and look to fill areas where they sense others are lacking. Incompetent leaders (re owners) begin operating in a panic mode as they attempt to close circles and begin to take bad advice from those that are not qualified in specified areas that they have no business in addressing. The intent is always good. The results are often an unmitigated disaster.

Certainly, I am extrapolating based only on what I can see from the outside. But, based on the current events and seeming disorder, the Jets have all the hallmarks of this disfunction.

Imagine, if you will, let's say a website that has 2 individuals that share executive duties. One, is conscientious, has a mindful approach and knowledge to the business. The other is a wildcard, involved in self and hungry for attention. The results of that type of relationship can only turn toxic as one tries to overpower the other with counter business growing activities. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Johnson and Johnson is a CPG company. CPG companies care about creating public image with their product and customer experience. In many cases it is less about the actual performance of the product, and more about the image.

Woody wanted West Side. He wanted the glitz and glamour, and of course the value that would bring. Of course, he failed at that.

Woody (and now Chris), have never been about demanding about the execution of the product. It is always, where do they play? What do the uniforms look like? How are we perceived?

They are CPG men in a performance industry. 

You know of course that Woody, out side owning stock, has nothing to do with J&J

Also The one job that Woody has done well is push the WWS.

Corrupt NYC politicians screwed Jets fans out of what would have been a Great Stadium.  

• Upvote 3

On 5/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, Scott Dierking said:

My background gives me pretty clear insight into how operations should be run, and how successful organizations do it. Regardless the business, there is typically a clearly defined hierarchy of reporting and definitely organizational structure.

The Jets appear to have none of that. And their comments and hiring practices say as much.

Ok you are now in charge of hot dogs ? 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, flgreen said:

You know of course that Woody, out side owning stock, has nothing to do with J&J

Also The one job that Woody has done well is push the WWS.

Corrupt NYC politicians screwed Jets fans out of what would have been a Great Stadium.  

You do know that by owning stock, that Woody Johnson sits on a board and by sitting on a board, is apprised of the business, has the ability to have a say in how the business is run, correct? So basically, he is pretty involved in the business of J&J.

Can a CPG company owner be successful? Yes, of course. Of the many holdings of Robert Kraft, the bulk of that was in in paper and paper products. And even Robert Kraft originally got in his own way. He fumbled his way through the Parcells regime, not allowing football people to make football decisions. It ultimately cost him Bill Parcells. Belichick allowed him to see the error of his ways, and outside of Kraft's son, is arguably the most powerful person in the organization. Again, a football person.

All that aside, Woody has treated this business much like someone treats a CPG company.  It's the  way Woody has run the Jets. As an image product. He basically told us that by having Neil Glat in the placeholder seat that he was. 

I rarely do victory laps on this board, as I am often incorrect, but I feel I nailed this one. In the most recent history of the Jets, I am heartened that maybe they are now putting a priority to elevating the organizational structure to be more "on-field" present, rather than marketing present. Let's hope that continues.

I would like to thank Max and JetNation for giving us the ability and platform to voice these concerns, and mostly I would like to thank the Jets organization for taking the time to read my concerns, and ultimately acting upon them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, Scott Dierking said:

My background gives me pretty clear insight into how operations should be run, and how successful organizations do it. Regardless the business, there is typically a clearly defined hierarchy of reporting and definitely organizational structure.

The Jets appear to have none of that. And their comments and hiring practices say as much.

I think it's good for the brand if the non football operations were expanded and brought into the 21st century the same way the football operations finally have.  

19 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would like to thank Max and JetNation for giving us the ability and platform to voice these concerns, and mostly I would like to thank the Jets organization for taking the time to read my concerns, and ultimately acting upon them. 

I think many/most of us would prefer you to thank us individually. Get to it. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think it's good for the brand if the non football operations were expanded and brought into the 21st century the same way the football operations finally have.  

Jets Nominated for 11 New York Emmy Awards

Winners of the 64th New York Emmy Awards Will Be Announced in the Fall

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:24 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  

E_SNY_2844 2-2021-cuts-12

The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences of New York nominated the Jets' internal content group for 11 Emmys, the most nominations of any professional sports team in New York.

The Jets were nominated in four different programming categories — lifestyle - long form content (longer than 10 minutes), sports program - post-produced or edited (series), sports - one-time special and promotion: promotional trailer.

Four individuals were also nominated in five categories — talent: performer/narrator, director - sports, editor: short form content (under 10 minutes), photographer: no production time limit and photographer: long form content (longer than 10 minutes).

The winners will be announced at the 64th Emmy Awards in the fall. Click here to see the full list of Emmy Award Nominations.

2021 Jets New York Emmy Award Nominations

LIFESTYLE - LONG FORM CONTENT (LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES) - Tailgate Center

SPORTS PROGRAM - POST-PRODUCED OR EDITED (SERIES) - One Jets Drive "The 2020 New York Jets"

SPORTS - ONE-TIME SPECIAL - One Jets Drive "The First Class"

PROMOTION: PROMOTIONAL TRAILER - Amped Up 2020 Jets Draft

TALENT:PERFORMER/NARRATOR - John Armond, Narrator

DIRECTOR - SPORTS - Seth Bradley, Director

EDITOR: SHORT FORM CONTENT (UNDER 10 MINUTES) - Matt Lombardi, Editor & Jack Radutzky, Editor

PHOTOGRAPHER: NO PRODUCTION TIME LIMIT - Dan Szpakowski, Photographer & Frank Lazar, Photographer

PHOTOGRAPHER: LONG FORM CONTENT (LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES) - Frank Lazar, Photographer

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences of New York nominated the Jets' internal content group for 11 Emmys, the most nominations of any professional sports team in New York.

The Jets were nominated in four different programming categories — lifestyle - long form content (longer than 10 minutes), sports program - post-produced or edited (series), sports - one-time special and promotion: promotional trailer.

Four individuals were also nominated in five categories — talent: performer/narrator, director - sports, editor: short form content (under 10 minutes), photographer: no production time limit and photographer: long form content (longer than 10 minutes).

The winners will be announced at the 64th Emmy Awards in the fall. Click here to see the full list of Emmy Award Nominations.

SPORTS PROGRAM - POST-PRODUCED OR EDITED (SERIES) - One Jets Drive "The 2020 New York Jets"

EDITOR: SHORT FORM CONTENT (UNDER 10 MINUTES) - Matt Lombardi, Editor & Jack Radutzky, Editor

PHOTOGRAPHER: NO PRODUCTION TIME LIMIT - Dan Szpakowski, Photographer & Frank Lazar, Photographer

PHOTOGRAPHER: LONG FORM CONTENT (LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES) - Frank Lazar, Photographer

Hymie

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Originals

22 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You do know that by owning stock, that Woody Johnson sits on a board and by sitting on a board, is apprised of the business, has the ability to have a say in how the business is run, correct? So basically, he is pretty involved in the business of J&J.

Can a CPG company owner be successful? Yes, of course. Of the many holdings of Robert Kraft, the bulk of that was in in paper and paper products. And even Robert Kraft originally got in his own way. He fumbled his way through the Parcells regime, not allowing football people to make football decisions. It ultimately cost him Bill Parcells. Belichick allowed him to see the error of his ways, and outside of Kraft's son, is arguably the most powerful person in the organization. Again, a football person.

All that aside, Woody has treated this business much like someone treats a CPG company.  It's the  way Woody has run the Jets. As an image product. He basically told us that by having Neil Glat in the placeholder seat that he was. 

I rarely do victory laps on this board, as I am often incorrect, but I feel I nailed this one. In the most recent history of the Jets, I am heartened that maybe they are now putting a priority to elevating the organizational structure to be more "on-field" present, rather than marketing present. Let's hope that continues.

Still think the uniform launch party was the straw that broke the billionaire’s back. That was terrible for a 4 billion dollar enterprise. I’ve been to church raffles with higher production value.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Dude you need to read a business book or something. 

I own some apple stock. I don’t sit on their board.  Your comments about j&j make no sense. At all

• Upvote 2

On 5/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, Scott Dierking said:

You did not read my post. 

I can only conclude that the Jets are excluding this important decision, because they are putting a cap on personnel. Let's take out a useless position then, and add a really, really relevant position.

It is the only thing I can assume is blocking this logical position from being added.

Why the hell would anyone come to this conclusion?

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

I immediately thought this would be a bunch of Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor nominations from so many 2020-season Jets pretending they were playing and/or coaching football.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Dude you need to read a business book or something. 

I own some apple stock. I don’t sit on their board.  Your comments about j&j make no sense. At all

Woody Johnson owns over 1.5 million shares of J and J stock personally. If you don’t believe he has a vested interest in the company, you are naive.

Regardless, my point is not whether Woody actively manages J and J today. I don’t care about that. The fact remains that J and J is, and that Woody has been brought up around, and has been associated with a CPG company. And, CPG companies position their product through imaging. And lifestyle. 

That is what Woody Johnson knows, and it his background in business. Personally, and his family. 

And that is how Woody positioned the Jets through the organization structure of Neil Glat being a chiefdom. And Glat was involved in decision making of football operations (from sources inside the facility) regularly. And, had no business (based on his background) doing so. It was a poorly managed power structure, that did not allow football type people to be be all and end all to on field decisions. 

My clear hope is that the movement within the organization in the past 2 years have shifted that mentality of on field management. The short term approach lends one to think so.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Woody Johnson owns over 1.5 million shares of J and J stock personally. If you don’t believe he has a vested interest in the company, you are naive.

Regardless, my point is not whether Woody actively manages J and J today. I don’t care about that. The fact remains that J and J is, and that Woody has been brought up around, and has been associated with a CPG company. And, CPG companies position their product through imaging. And lifestyle. 

That is what Woody Johnson knows, and it his background in business. Personally, and his family. 

And that is how Woody positioned the Jets through the organization structure of Neil Glat being a chiefdom. And Glat was involved in decision making of football operations (from sources inside the facility) regularly. And, had no business (based on his background) doing so. It was a poorly managed power structure, that did not allow football type people to be be all and end all to on field decisions. 

My clear hope is that the movement within the organization in the past 2 years have shifted that mentality of on field management. The short term approach lends one to think so.

Sometimes being right has to be its own reward, Scott. Some people just can't admit they were wrong about the big picture and prefer to nitpick at superfluous details.

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, flgreen said:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Now, imagine a world where the effort and thought was not put so much into content and image, but into execution of on-field results. Areas like scouting. Areas like nutrition and specializing individual programs of athlete wellness and care. Areas like analytics and development.

The good news is that they HAVE made some of these moves recently. They need to continue in those directions. If you want to be a marketing and image maven, fine. Just don’t do it at the expense of the on-field product.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You said he sat on the board of jnj.  No he doesn’t.  You are switch your argument. 

1.5mm shares of jnj isn’t a big deal for the company btw

he has a vested interest in that his family founded the company. 

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Sometimes being right has to be its own reward, Scott. Some people just can't admit they were wrong about the big picture and prefer to nitpick at superfluous details.

His first paragraph on the topic was so off the mark. Just wrong. 

that’s all I was discussing and disagreeing about.  Not the other stuff