This Has Happened Before ...

KRL

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Just two years ago KC fired John Dorsey after the draft.  Dorsey was Andy Reid's hand picked GM
and had just traded up to get Mahomes.  KC had just won 10 games when this went down, stop acting
like this is the end of the world:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook

And I think KC has recovered nicely since his dismissal

Come on Jets fan love to self loath, don’t ruin it! King Ass Whole and leader of the whiners Joe Beningo comes on the air at 10 and his brigade of idiots will be calling him and whining in lock step with him.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Just two years ago KC fired John Dorsey after the draft.  Dorsey was Andy Reid's hand picked GM
and had just traded up to get Mahomes.  KC had just won 10 games when this went down, stop acting

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook

I don’t know the Dorsey specifics, but I think he got fired for the exact opposite reason as Macc, Dorsey had a pair of balls that he had no problem slapping on the table for when he wanted something the way he wanted it.

• Upvote 1

Also happened the same offseason with the Bills.  Dismissed Rex before the last week of the season and then they fired Doug Whaley after the draft.  That season the Bills ended their 18 year playoff drought.

It has happened and has worked out before.  Hard to compare our situation to KC though as they had Andy Reid as a head coach -- long time successful NFL coach.  Adam Gase is not at the same level as Reid.  Seems like I say this all the time on this site, but here goes again: I hope it works out, but it is hard to be optmistic about the direction of the franchise.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

And KC was left in the hands of Andy Reid.  Not Emperor Gase.

Such a bad take. Put Reid on those Dolphin teams do you think he does anything significantly better?! Give Gase a shot with some talent before we villanize the guy

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't believe for one second that Gase is going to be the GM for long.  We'll get Joe Douglas in here and we'll all be stoked about the move.

Sure it looks bad, but the bad decision was not firing him now, it was not firing him in early January.

Once that happened it would have been foolish to fire him in the middle of preparing for the draft and free agency.  Regardless of whether or not you liked what Macc did this offseason, it could have been a lot worse if we switched gears in February and were unprepared for FA and the draft.

Frankly, I think Macc did a pretty good job this offseason.  Not perfect, not an A+ job by any means, but the signings of Bell, Crowder and Mosley are a vast improvement to this teams talent level.  The trade for KO was a steal and I really like our first 2 draft picks.

I'd give Macc a solid B+ for what he did over the last few months.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So we are to believe that Gase took a job where he hated the GM, hated the DC, hated the draft picks, hated the FA acquisitions, but had no say in them, while in some deep Machiavellian plot was able to dethrone Mac. Call me naive, but isn't this a bit over the top?

As opposed to what?

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I don't believe for one second that Gase is going to be the GM for long.  We'll get Joe Douglas in here and we'll all be stoked about the move.

Sure it looks bad, but the bad decision was not firing him now, it was not firing him in early January.

Once that happened it would have been foolish to fire him in the middle of preparing for the draft and free agency.  Regardless of whether or not you liked what Macc did this offseason, it could have been a lot worse if we switched gears in February and were unprepared for FA and the draft.

Frankly, I think Macc did a pretty good job this offseason.  Not perfect, not an A+ job by any means, but the signings of Bell, Crowder and Mosley are a vast improvement to this teams talent level.  The trade for KO was a steal and I really like our first 2 draft picks.

I'd give Macc a solid B+ for what he did over the last few months.

What if the Jets go 10-6 and make the playoffs led by Darnold, Bell, Q and Mosely?  Will it be due to Mac or the Emperor?

14 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Come on Jets fan love to self loath, don’t ruin it! King Ass Whole and leader of the whiners Joe Beningo comes on the air at 10 and his brigade of idiots will be calling him and whining in lock step with him.

Wait until 3 when King Doosh comes on.

You people looking for exactly the same situation are missing the point entirely.

The point is GM's have been fired after free agency and the draft if they aren't

meeting the owner's expectations

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

lol Was Reid in his rookie season with the Chiefs when he did it? Was he already a coach who reached the Superbowl as a HC/GM combo yet? 

Very VERY different circumstances at play here @KRL

• Upvote 2

On the surface of things, this looks very bad. And it is mostly on the ownership front.

Apparently, Chris Johnson JUST RECENTLY began spending more time in the facilities, overseeing the jobs of HC and GM. Just recently.

So, at least while CJ has been on board, this crew has been unmanaged. Left to their own devices. It is no wonder it appears to be a rudderless hip. IT IS!

Just hire the damn Football Operations VP already.

• Upvote 2

I'm like most people here, I wanted Mac gone along with Bowles. Having not gotten that, this is the next best thing. Certainly better than Mac holding the job until the end of this season. At least now the new front office will have a full season with the team, understanding its needs from within, and will be scouting potential free agents and draft prospects with the Jets specifically in mind the entire time. Much better than stepping in in January with the last guy's scouts and coming up with a plan on the fly. 

For the sake of perception, the Jets need to operate quickly here. If Douglas is the guy, get him in here ASAP. If Jeremiah is the guy, too, then get him in here, too. I hope there was a plan but, if not, they need to at least make it look like there was a plan to ease everyone's minds. Not just the fans, but the players, coaches, scouts, and other employees of the Jets. 

Also, I think this may be why the Jets are keeping their ****ed up structure. They have to be able to offer a promotion to potential GM candidates. They couldn't bring in a guy to be Gase's personnel man which is how I suspect the organization will actually run. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

You people looking for exactly the same situation are missing the point entirely.

The point is GM's have been fired after free agency and the draft if they aren't

meeting the owner's expectations

The point is nobody appears to be minding the shop. And certainly not anyone with football operations acumen. THAT is the real point.

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

The rebuttal to that is Andy Reid is better than Adam Gase

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Also happened the same offseason with the Bills.  Dismissed Rex before the last week of the season and then they fired Doug Whaley after the draft.  That season the Bills ended their 18 year playoff drought.

It has happened and has worked out before.  Hard to compare our situation to KC though as they had Andy Reid as a head coach -- long time successful NFL coach.  Adam Gase is not at the same level as Reid.  Seems like I say this all the time on this site, but here goes again: I hope it works out, but it is hard to be optmistic about the direction of the franchise.

Reid also had a ton of personnel experience.  For better or worse, he was considered the quasi-GM in Philly.

• Sympathy 1

This was covered in another thread.  KC is the only good example.  The other teams?  Bills, Raiders, Dolphins, Panthers, Browns.

Not exactly an encouraging group to be associated with and the Jets dont have Andy Reid running the show.

22 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Such a bad take. Put Reid on those Dolphin teams do you think he does anything significantly better?! Give Gase a shot with some talent before we villanize the guy

BAM!! And there it is.....C L A R I T Y & R E A S O N !!

Thanks for that. It's a longggggg season. Let's support our team and give them an opportunity before crapping on them! There will be plenty of time for that. Dysfunction breads dysfunction. There needs to be a break in the cycle. Lets start today.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

This was covered in another thread.  KC is the only good example.  The other teams?  Bills, Raiders, Dolphins, Panthers, Browns.

Not exactly an encouraging group to be associated with and the Jets dont have Andy Reid running the show.

Very true, but still the media reaction is like the Jets burned down an orphanage as was said in another thread

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Very true, but still the media reaction is like the Jets burned down an orphanage as was said in another thread

I'm not concerned with the media but having 1 good example out of 6, is not encouraging.  And lets be real, if Mahomes doesnt come out last year and set the world on fire, it's 0-6.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I'm not concerned with the media but having 1 good example out of 6, is not encouraging.  And lets be real, if Mahomes doesnt come out last year and set the world on fire, it's 0-6.

Well, hopefully Darnold combusts. In a good way. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don't think that it is a matter of choosing the good and bad from a limited sample. I think of the examples as an indication that it is the new trend.  GM is a year round job, but the heavy lifting is March-May.  Teams are now looking at getting guys in to fill their staffs before the season starts so they can be ready for the next offseason.  At least we won't have to hear excuses that the guy's 1st draft is a throwaway because he was using the previous regimes scouting. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think that it is a matter of choosing the good and bad from a limited sample. I think of the examples as an indication that it is the new trend.  GM is a year round job, but the heavy lifting is March-May.  Teams are now looking at getting guys in to fill their staffs before the season starts so they can be ready for the next offseason.  At least we won't have to hear excuses that the guy's 1st draft is a throwaway because he was using the previous regimes scouting. 

Fair but it's a trend bad teams do and while we havent had enough time to analyze the results, the early returns are the bad continues.  

49 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So we are to believe that Gase took a job where he hated the GM, hated the DC, hated the draft picks, hated the FA acquisitions, but had no say in them, while in some deep Machiavellian plot was able to dethrone Mac. Call me naive, but isn't this a bit over the top?

Exactly. I doubt we the fans will ever know what really happened but I'm sure there is a whole lot more to the story.

I'm firmly on the "this was addition by subtraction " band wagon.  It seems "Mac must go" was the mantra here for a long time....now that he is gone people are bitching about the "timing"....

I like Gotti oops I mean Gase more and more everyday.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fair but it's a trend bad teams do and while we havent had enough time to analyze the results, the early returns are the bad continues.  

Good teams don't fire the GM.

I'm sure if you look at when teams fire the GM and coach you are going to find way more examples of bad teams doing it than good.  The Steelers have had like 3 coaches in my lifetime and I am really old.  The Giants, around 4 GMs.  Meanwhile, the Browns have had more than that over the last 5 years.