This Has Happened Before ...

KRL

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

If you want to remain irrational about the firing of a 24-40 GM, don't listen to what Esaison 

said on WFAN this morning:

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/boomer-gio-mike-maccagnan-gets-canned-adam-gase-gets-his-way

Yes. Now we’re in the capable hands of a 23-25 coach with a point differential of -243 in those three seasons. We are saved hallelujah!

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Just two years ago KC fired John Dorsey after the draft.  Dorsey was Andy Reid's hand picked GM
and had just traded up to get Mahomes.  KC had just won 10 games when this went down, stop acting
like this is the end of the world:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook

And I think KC has recovered nicely since his dismissal

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1128980849037328384

50 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Good teams don't fire the GM.

I'm sure if you look at when teams fire the GM and coach you are going to find way more examples of bad teams doing it than good.  The Steelers have had like 3 coaches in my lifetime and I am really old.  The Giants, around 4 GMs.  Meanwhile, the Browns have had more than that over the last 5 years.

The Chiefs made the playoffs each year Dorsey was there.  

The Panthers won 11 games and appeared in the Super Bowl the year before and fired Gettleman.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

What if the Jets go 10-6 and make the playoffs led by Darnold, Bell, Q and Mosely?  Will it be due to Mac or the Emperor?

I don't really understand the point of your question.

If the Jets go 10-6 and make the playoffs on the back of the players that Macc signed in FA and the drafting of Darnold, led by the coaching and development of Gase, then both should get credit.  Why would it have to be either or?

I think someone made a joke in one of these threads that we should hope Macc is the first GM to ever be fired and then go on to win executive of the year.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

As opposed to what?

That he had disagreements with Mac and probably poor communication and that led Johnson to pull the trigger on a dysfunctional situation. The media seems to want to pump this up into a total sh*tshow for ink and we're happily going along with it. The guys who hate Bell are "certain" that Gase hates him; the guys who hate Gase are "certain" that he has executed a coup and is now emperor of the Jets; the guys who hate Williams are "certain" that Gase wants him gone; the guys who hate Mosley are "certain" that Gase didn't want him either. The real question is: what did Gase want? How would he have built the Jets with FA and the draft? He wanted a center, that's pretty clear. We all did. However the same guy who was supposedly bellyaching about the cost of Bell, which was actually a very reasonable deal, was perfectly fine to throw the bank at a guy who didn't want to be in NY. The fact that some things were indeed a mess and led to Mac's firing does not mean that EVERYTHING is wrong. Law of averages and common sense suggest that some of this media chatter is BS.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Yes, and they had an internal up and coming candidate that had experience working with Reid already.  And Reid wasn’t a first year coach with the team, and had been successful elsewhere as well.  The jets don’t have any of that.

But we have new uniforms and stuff

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

Such a bad take. Put Reid on those Dolphin teams do you think he does anything significantly better?! Give Gase a shot with some talent before we villanize the guy

i believe Andy Reid will do better then Gase with any team and any kind of players 

• Upvote 1

Only guessing here but just maybe Gase was having a dejavue moment. Tanny with his contacts put the fins in cap hell did he feel things were headed that way with Mac. Did he feel the Jets would have been wiser to spend for depth and quality players rather than a few stars? 

10 hours ago, SR24 said:

Such a bad take. Put Reid on those Dolphin teams do you think he does anything significantly better?! Give Gase a shot with some talent before we villanize the guy

He's 4 months into the job and already he's the HC and interim-GM.  His credentials are "Peyton Manning loved me".

Andy Reid is a good smart head coach. He had some bits of success with the eagles before he got fired and the chiefs picked him up. Adam Gase is a mentally unstable drama queen who has never been successful as a head coach. Additionally Andy Reid didn't start with the approach of telling the best players on his team they aren't worth the money they got paid.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That he had disagreements with Mac and probably poor communication and that led Johnson to pull the trigger on a dysfunctional situation. The media seems to want to pump this up into a total sh*tshow for ink and we're happily going along with it. The guys who hate Bell are "certain" that Gase hates him; the guys who hate Gase are "certain" that he has executed a coup and is now emperor of the Jets; the guys who hate Williams are "certain" that Gase wants him gone; the guys who hate Mosley are "certain" that Gase didn't want him either. The real question is: what did Gase want? How would he have built the Jets with FA and the draft? He wanted a center, that's pretty clear. We all did. However the same guy who was supposedly bellyaching about the cost of Bell, which was actually a very reasonable deal, was perfectly fine to throw the bank at a guy who didn't want to be in NY. The fact that some things were indeed a mess and led to Mac's firing does not mean that EVERYTHING is wrong. Law of averages and common sense suggest that some of this media chatter is BS.

For the record:

I didn't like the Bell signing at all (I think OL is way more important).  

I loved the Mosley signing.  Yes we overpaid but we had to if we wanted him here.  I did.

I have no idea about Gase as a HC but I do think he's both a nutjob and an a-hole of a person.  Again though, it doesn't mean he can't be a successful HC.  His main job is to tutor Sam Darnold because QBs are what win Superbowls.  I'll certainly give him (Gase) a chance even if I do think he's an a-hole.

Gregg Williams is another nutjob who seems like an a-hole of a person but seems like a good DC (for a couple of years until he wears out his welcome).  I do like the idea that he's probably a DC only at this point in his career because that lets Gase focus on the offense and building up Sam. 

I could be wrong about this but IIRC, Williams was forced on Gase.  I hate that the Johnson family feels like they're knowledgeable enough to meddle like this.  I also hate that Gase and whoever our next GM is officially report to CJ (even though the GM will really report to Gase).  Everything is just completely screwed up accountability-wise and it's entirely due to the Johnson family's meddling.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Andy Reid is a good smart head coach. He had some bits of success with the eagles before he got fired and the chiefs picked him up. Adam Gase is a mentally unstable drama queen who has never been successful as a head coach. Additionally Andy Reid didn't start with the approach of telling the best players on his team they aren't worth the money they got paid.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Apparently Gase "took on" every big player on the Dolphins last year.  I guess Belichick does that with Brady but Gase has an impossibly long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same universe as BB.

Andy Reid is a top HC in the NFL.  He does have a post-season knock against him but I still have faith in the guy. 

52 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Only guessing here but just maybe Gase was having a dejavue moment. Tanny with his contacts put the fins in cap hell did he feel things were headed that way with Mac. Did he feel the Jets would have been wiser to spend for depth and quality players rather than a few stars? 

Bells contract is not bad tho. Mosley we for sure overpayed for

Apparently Gase "took on" every big player on the Dolphins last year.  I guess Belichick does that with Brady but Gase has an impossibly long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same universe as BB.

Andy Reid is a top HC in the NFL.  He does have a post-season knock against him but I still have faith in the guy. 

BB knows how to handle superstars. Not every one can be treated the same. Gase just seems like a psychopath. Huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, KRL said:

Just two years ago KC fired John Dorsey after the draft.  Dorsey was Andy Reid's hand picked GM
and had just traded up to get Mahomes.  KC had just won 10 games when this went down, stop acting
like this is the end of the world:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook

And I think KC has recovered nicely since his dismissal

Macc won't

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

All coaches have good and bad seasons.  The ones that stay are the ones who win with decent or better talent.  Sometimes---teams just stop listening to their shtick

I actually wanted Macc gone and see the logic of allowing him to stay on through the draft...will say Macc had a decent off-season...a little concerned about the FA...maybe overpaid for Bell but I too liked the Mosely signing a lot and the KO trade made sense...still thought he could have added more competition for the OL and cornerback but overall it was decent.

Gase's resume is light but his main contribution will/must be the development of Darnold.  I don't care if he made the power play or that it just looks that way.  I don't care if he wanted Gregg Williams or not or whether he thought signing Bell at that price was the way to build a winner.  If he develops Darnold into a SB-caliber QB I can forgive all the rest. 

Ultimately, the Jets are play toy of the owner and at this point Chris Johnson controls the team.  If he doesn't have confidence in his leadership team he needs to fire at will.  Hopefully he makes a solid hire (Joe Douglas or Eliot Wolf) and we can press right on into the season.  This is not the best look but it is the bold move his brother, milquetoast Woody never made in his tenure and for that I applaud his aggressive approach.

Go Jets!!!

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Also happened the same offseason with the Bills.  Dismissed Rex before the last week of the season and then they fired Doug Whaley after the draft.  That season the Bills ended their 18 year playoff drought.

It has happened and has worked out before.  Hard to compare our situation to KC though as they had Andy Reid as a head coach -- long time successful NFL coach.  Adam Gase is not at the same level as Reid.  Seems like I say this all the time on this site, but here goes again: I hope it works out, but it is hard to be optmistic about the direction of the franchise.

yep.  i don't see what all the hub bub is.  so mac got launched.  he was a bad drafter and made some pretty iffy free agent signings.  but his biggest fault was not addressing the qb or even the oline.  he got held up by fitz and then compounded it by drafting hack and petty.  obviously we'll see what happens when they finally hire a new gm.  all gase has to do is win.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  i don't see what all the hub bub is.  so mac got launched.  he was a bad drafter and made some pretty iffy free agent signings.  but his biggest fault was not addressing the qb or even the oline.  he got held up by fitz and then compounded it by drafting hack and petty.  obviously we'll see what happens when they finally hire a new gm.  all gase has to do is win.

Gase pulls that off, and his haters here will be telling us about how he won with Mac's team. Watch. 

Gase pulls that off, and his haters here will be telling us about how he won with Mac's team. Watch. 

I dont really think so. Only because I think this team needs more talent. I dont think winning will happen right away. The Jets are lacking in very key areas. OL, NT, CB to just name a few. Its gonna be hard to win a lot without those positions.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

I dont really think so. Only because I think this team needs more talent. I dont think winning will happen right away. The Jets are lacking in very key areas. OL, NT, CB to just name a few. Its gonna be hard to win a lot without those positions.

The roster is actually in pretty good shape. CB is the only real hole. The OL is a little iffy, but not the disaster that it often gets referred to as. NT is no issue at all. Jets might be calling their defense a 3-4, but Gregg Williams is a 4-3 guy, and he'll be attacking with the DL and putting them in position to succeed. The main three will be Anderson, QW, and Leo. Hard to call that a weak spot. 

And I was joking, but it was funny seeing that same old refrain getting posted in another thread just a couple minutes later. 

The roster is actually in pretty good shape. CB is the only real hole. The OL is a little iffy, but not the disaster that it often gets referred to as. NT is no issue at all. Jets might be calling their defense a 3-4, but Gregg Williams is a 4-3 guy, and he'll be attacking with the DL and putting them in position to succeed. The main three will be Anderson, QW, and Leo. Hard to call that a weak spot. 

And I was joking, but it was funny seeing that same old refrain getting posted in another thread just a couple minutes later. 

I hear you and I agree. All three positions are questionable though imo. You still need a zero technique, even in a 4-3. McLendon is really the only option on the roster and he is kind of getting up there. Before Mac got fired I believed what Gase said about Harrison at C. Now idk what to believe. RT and LT are average at best. No edge rushed no matter what defense we play in. Though I do think we will get pressure with Q and Leo, stopping the run could be a big issue. CB is really an area I think we will get abused in also.