Article: Philadelphia Eagles could lose Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, Jets Close to Deal (merged)

Philadelphia Eagles could lose Joe Douglas to the New York Jets

Another year calls for another potential loss within the Philadelphia Eagles staff. This time, it’s somebody in the front office, though.

When a team has a solid staff all across the board, there is always a price to pay. It’s hard to keep a band together in the NFL – especially if the so-called band is pretty successful. Teams that are trying to build a winning program always have to look towards established ones to try and poach some of their employees. And the Philadelphia Eagles found out about that last year.

Before the 2017 Super Bowl run, the Eagles weren’t all that worried about losing coaches and other staff members at a high rate during the offseason. After all, a 7-9 start to the Doug Pederson era didn’t seem all that promising. However, that changed quickly after the Eagles ended up winning the Super Bowl in 2017. Then, the Birds lost some notable employees such as Offensive Coordinator Frank Reich and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo.

Another guy who had eyes on him as well was Howie Roseman’s right-hand man, Joe Douglas. As Douglas served as a sidekick to Howie over the last couple of years, teams have kept a close look at the Eagles’ offseason moves. Over the previous two offseasons, including this year’s, Howie, Douglas, and company have been recognized as winners of the offseason. It’s an encouraging feat as the national media continuously praises them for it. But now it may come with the price of losing one of their key guys for the entire offseason process.

Joe to the Jets?

Recently, the New York Jets cleared out their General Manager’s office and relieved Mike Maccagnan of his duties. Despite going through the Free Agency and Draft process with Maccagnan still in the front office, the Jets figured that it is better late than never getting rid of him. Now, they are shifting their focus towards hiring one candidate – it just so happens to be Eagles’ Vice President of Player Personnel, Joe Douglas.

The deal isn’t done yet, but according to the New York Post, we’re basically just waiting on an announcement at this point. Apparently, there are rumors that Douglas is already reaching out to his ‘people’ to begin forming a staff around him in the Jets front office.

However, this is all just rumors at this point. Seeing as though Douglas had some substantial interest in his services after the Super Bowl year, it is quite shocking it took this long for a team to actually start making some moves to take him from Philly’s front office. It will be a notable loss for the Eagles this year if it does happen, but this is nothing that Philly isn’t used to at this point.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2019/05/16/philadelphia-eagles-lose-joe-douglas-new-york-jets/

• Upvote 3

Sounds like Joe Douglas is pretty well respected and qualified. Hope we get him.

I would also hope the Johnson's fired Macagnan with a plan in place to replace him.

This process (finding a GM) should not take too long. Otherwise it won't look too good (not that it does right now).

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, this is Joe Douglas? Bart Scott was on the radio yesterday saying he used to bully Joe Douglas when he was with the Ravens. What a dick Bart Scott is, btw. 

joe-douglas.jpg

Makes sense. Gase just bullied Macc for his job, now Gase will make sure whoever gets the job he can also push over.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, this is Joe Douglas? Bart Scott was on the radio yesterday saying he used to bully Joe Douglas when he was with the Ravens. What a dick Bart Scott is, btw. 

joe-douglas.jpg

How much contact could they have had? Ones a LBer and the other was a low level scout at the time

Bart’s probably just being a dick lol.

20 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Sounds like Joe Douglas is pretty well respected and qualified. Hope we get him.

I would also hope the Johnson's fired Macagnan with a plan in place to replace him.

This process (finding a GM) should not take too long. Otherwise it won't look too good (not that it does right now).

He's going to be Gase's puppet.

Gase is the one getting him hired and Gase will be able to get him fired at any time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 7

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

How much contact could they have had? Ones a LBer and the other was a low level scout at the time

Bart’s probably just being a dick lol.

It was awkward. Bart kept saying, "I used to kick him in the ass" hahaha and Carlin and Maggie Gray were like, uh, that's not cool, but Bart kept interrupting to say how he used to kick an adult man in the ass. Really ****ed up. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

It was awkward. Bart kept saying, "I used to kick him in the ass" hahaha and Carlin and Maggie Gray were like, uh, that's not cool, but Bart kept interrupting to say how he used to kick an adult man in the ass. Really ****ed up. 

I feel like Bart Scott would be the guy to make a thread about being manly, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

This is who I'm looking forward to.  Would love it if Daniel Jeremiah is part of the staff too.

what I do like is - if you look at the Eagles of the past few years - They've done just about everything they could to protect and build around Wentz.

Let's hope Gase and company understand it's all about Darnold and you don't spend $85mm on a MLB.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Let's not make it sound like this is highly unusual in the NFL.

Owners hire GMs they are familiar with. GMs hire coaches they have had a working relationships with in the past. Coaches hire assistants they've worked with in the past before. Lots of nepotism. This is just happening in reverse.

It isn't - but that's typically with HC's that have proven to be successful.  Not nut jobs - with losing records - and an offense that was in the bottom 5 of the league for his entire tenure.

Joe Douglas, who was hired by the Eagles on May 11, 2016, enters his third season as vice president of player personnel.

Douglas played an integral role in helping construct the team’s Super Bowl LII-winning roster. The Eagles captured the first Super Bowl title in franchise history with a 41-33 victory over the New England Patriots on February 4, 2018.

Prior to joining the Eagles, Douglas spent the 2015 season as the director of college scouting for the Chicago Bears after working in the Baltimore Ravens’ personnel department for 16 years (2000-15).

During his time in Baltimore, Douglas was instrumental in acquiring a number of key performers for the Ravens, both through the draft and during the undrafted free agent signing period. Some of the players that he had a hand in obtaining included QB Joe Flacco, G Ben Grubbs, LB Pernell McPhee, LB C.J. Mosley, K Justin Tucker, CB Lardarius Webb and G Marshal Yanda. Grubbs, Mosley, Yanda and Tucker have combined for 10 Pro Bowls with the Ravens.

“I have known Joe for several years and have admired his work with both the Ravens and the Bears,” said Howie Roseman, Eagles executive vice president of football operations. “He is a guy that we had targeted from the outset. I feel that we are very fortunate to have him lead our player personnel department. [Ravens general manager] Ozzie Newsome and [Bears general manager] Ryan Pace spoke very highly of him and his work. He is passionate about football, passionate about scouting and he played a vital role in the success of the Ravens over the last decade.”

As a member of the Ravens organization, Douglas held various posts which included serving as the club’s national scout (2012-15), Southeast area scout (2009-11), East Coast area scout (2008) and Northeast area scout (2003-07). Douglas was first hired by Baltimore in 2000, where he worked as a player personnel assistant for three years. He was responsible for fall and spring scouting assignments, college workouts and draft visit coordination, managing the team’s college video library and assisting the pro personnel department with special teams evaluations of club opponents and unrestricted free agents.

An All-Atlantic 10 selection, Douglas started 45 consecutive games at tackle for the University of Richmond. Following his collegiate playing career, he transitioned into a volunteer assistant coach with the Spiders’ football team in 1999.

As an offensive lineman at Lee-Davis High School (Mechanicsville,VA), Douglas was recognized as a two-time all-state honoree.

He and his wife, Shannon, have two daughters, Addison and Leighton, and a son, Thomas.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Gase is the one getting him hired and Gase will be able to get him fired at any time.

IMO, sounds like business as usual.  He won't be "fired at any time."  If they fail, he will be a well-respected guy that only failed because he was forced to bend to Gase's vision.  They will dump Gase and keep him.  I like most of what I have read about Douglas, but he supposedly emphasizes college production over measureables and that led him to pick small-school "producers" like Donnel Pumphery. 

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Gase can't get anymore GM's fired who he will never get another job in the NFL. What future GM will hire Gase with that kind of history? Gase is probably off many GM's lists of future candidates. 

I can see the argument that he will be a puppet, but I think the reality is more like the two of them have a history and have the same vision for a team. So Douglas will likely make moves that Gase wants or at least be more receptive to his opinion than Macc was. Is that a good thing? We will find out in the next couple of years. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Gase can't get anymore GM's fired who he will never get another job in the NFL. What future GM will hire Gase with that kind of history? Gase is probably off many GM's lists of future candidates. 

I can see the argument that he will be a puppet, but I think the reality is more like the two of them have a history and have the same vision for a team. So Douglas will likely make moves that Gase wants or at least be more receptive to his opinion than Macc was. Is that a good thing? We will find out in the next couple of years. 

I think the point I'm trying to make is - this is Gase's team...and will be built in his image, his way.

And Gase has shown no ability to successfully build or coach an NFL team.  

Just too much faith being put in this guy.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It isn't - but that's typically with HC's that have proven to be successful.  Not nut jobs - with losing records - and an offense that was in the bottom 5 of the league for his entire tenure.

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

Fair argument

Yes, but then the "normal" way, what would a career scout - promoted to being a first time GM, with no league-wide contacts beyond the team he'd been with for the last decade & a half - know about hiring a HC?

Only way to look at it is Gase was already hired. We're starting from that point, not the moment after the team announced they fired Bowles. At this later point, do you keep Macc or give Gase a guy he's comfortable with? Makes more sense to go with the latter, and let him sink or swim without the day 1 excuses Bowles and Macc had in each other (like Rex/Idzik before them).

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

+1

He's used up his mulligan 4 months in. If he whines about this one as well it should appropriately fall on deaf ears.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the point I'm trying to make is - this is Gase's team...and will be built in his image, his way.

And Gase has shown no ability to successfully build or coach an NFL team.  

Just too much faith being put in this guy.

Well, I happen to like Gase and if I was to put faith in either Gase or Macc, I am choosing Gase. But I agree, Gase hasn't done enough to warrant full control over an organization. But from what we know of Douglas, he is a well respected Front office guy. So it's not like we are hiring some random guy off the street. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t care whose puppet he is.

Scout and draft good players and I’ll be happy.

Agreed.  I just want to win games.  Don't care if it is Macc, Bowles or Gase/Douglas or whomever.  Get the right guys in here and win games -- and the optics of the firing in May won't matter.  Won't give a damn about Gase's power play if he wins games.

• Upvote 2