Article: Philadelphia Eagles could lose Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, Jets Close to Deal (merged)

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The headline here is that a young, desirable GM candidate who's been climbing the ladder for twenty years and whom presumably has some options has actively chosen to come work for the Jets, and with Adam Gase, in the year of our lord 2019. The Jets usually can't even get a guy like this to come in for an interview, much less take the job. Within two days time, Gase has fired Maccagnan and brought in a coveted executive with a pedigree. Not too shabby.

who else have coveted this guy?  or is this our justification now?

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed. I'm also happy that Chris Johnson may actually be paying attention to how the front office works. From the accounts I read he correctly arrived at the conclusion that Mac was a waffler and lacked leadership skills because Johnson actually started involving himself in the activities of the front office. Ownership is useless if the owner is clueless about what is going on in the building i.e. Woody Johnson 

Yep.  Its nice that CJ finally took a break from banging Russian hookers to take a peek at what's going on at 1 Jets Drive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Would it surprise anyone if he is in fact offered the job and answers with a very firm NO THANK YOU?

Think about it. He is close to this market, right down the Jersey Tpke and has to know plenty about the Johnsons level of dysfunction and may very well wait for a better franchise to come knocking.

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

Would it surprise anyone if he is in fact offered the job and answers with a very firm NO THANK YOU?

Think about it. He is close to this market, right down the Jersey Tpke and has to know plenty about the Johnsons level of dysfunction and may very well wait for a better franchise to come knocking.

The hell are you talking about?  He'll be coming here because of Gase.  We wouldn't sniff a GM of this caliber without Gase.  Take a chill pill. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

If he and Gase are as close as everyone thinks they are, I don't think there is any doubt that Gase asked him straight up if he would be a yes before the Jets fired Mac and Heimer......one would hope anyway. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

what I do like is - if you look at the Eagles of the past few years - They've done just about everything they could to protect and build around Wentz.

Let's hope Gase and company understand it's all about Darnold and you don't spend $85mm on a MLB.

The leader of the offense is the QB. The QB of the defense is the MLB. Huff, Butkus, Nitshke, Lewis, Lambert, Buoniconti, Carson, Fletcher were with teams that won Super Bowls. You need an elite MLB and we got one. CJ is a 4X pro bowler and in his prime. It’s not like we didn’t have the money. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You'd like to think this was already a done deal before Mac was fired.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

If he and Gase are as close as everyone thinks they are, I don't think there is any doubt that Gase asked him straight up if he would be a yes before the Jets fired Mac and Heimer......one would hope anyway. 

I hope you are right.

Also cant help wondering why Baltimore didnt even give him a sniff when Ozzie retired. You would think since he had worked for them he would have been considered.

Just now, Kleckineau said:

I hope you are right.

Also cant help wondering why Baltimore didnt even give him a sniff when Ozzie retired. You would think since he had worked for them he would have been considered. 

So in 1 post you went from "He's too good for us, he'll look for a better job!" to "There's gotta be something wrong with him."

Take your lithium dose. 

• Post of the Week 1

I think Adam Gase's role with the Jets now is similar to that of Jon Gruden's with the Raiders. At the same time, just like I don't think Mike Mayok is a puppet in Oakland, I don't think Douglas will be a puppet for the Jets. His resume is too good and he obviously has a mind of his own when it comes to building a roster. I doubt he would take this job to be someone's stooge when he is obviously so highly regarded in league circles and would probably be first in line for any GM jobs that open up this year.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, this is Joe Douglas? Bart Scott was on the radio yesterday saying he used to bully Joe Douglas when he was with the Ravens. What a dick Bart Scott is, btw. 

joe-douglas.jpg

Bart just said ‘Can’t wait....to kick him in the azz again’. If Douglas becomes our GM and turns this mess around, Bart will be kissing his azz.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I think Adam Gase's role with the Jets now is similar to that of Jon Gruden's with the Raiders. At the same time, just like I don't think Mike Mayok is a puppet in Oakland, I don't think Douglas will be a puppet for the Jets. His resume is too good and he obviously has a mind of his own when it comes to building a roster. I doubt he would take this job to be someone's stooge when he is obviously so highly regarded in league circles and would probably be first in line for any GM jobs that open up this year. 

Gase just wanted someone competent in the GM's chair.  Why do people think he's going to overrule the decisions of a successful personnel guy who played a major role in the Eagles winning a Super Bowl?  Douglas is a guy Gase respects and is the anti-Macc.  And Gase just wants to win.  That's all he cares about.  Douglas is a great choice to bring in to make sure we do so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So in 1 post you went from "He's too good for us, he'll look for a better job!" to "There's gotta be something wrong with him."

Take your lithium dose. 

Lol oh stop it. The Johnsons need the lithium and the fans need treatment for PTSD. I'm sure they can get a bulk discount from J&J.  I am just discussing / asking questions and I am not predicting either scenario. however given this teams history is either case far fetched? 

Like I said I hope they land him but until they do ......

Just now, T0mShane said:

Hopefully Douglas’s first act as GM is to break a bat over Bart Scott’s head and knock his last three brain cells loose. Bart has difficulty producing vowel sounds as it is and he makes Shannon Sharpe sound like Sir David Attenborough by comparison. 

david is boss.  

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Sounds like Joe Douglas is pretty well respected and qualified. Hope we get him.

I would also hope the Johnson's fired Macagnan with a plan in place to replace him.

This process (finding a GM) should not take too long. Otherwise it won't look too good (not that it does right now).

Agreed. Our last coaching search gives me confidence they have a plan.

...said no one ever.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully we're not about to see the Peter Principle in action again as we have many times in the past with the Jets.  

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.  If I'm Douglas, I get a three year deal at least and power to fire the coach (I doubt he'll get that, though).  He won't be able to do much with the roster in year 1, so he needs some time.  It would be hilarious to see Gase have a bad season and Douglas fire him!

Sounds like Joe Douglas is pretty well respected and qualified. Hope we get him.

I would also hope the Johnson's fired Macagnan with a plan in place to replace him.

This process (finding a GM) should not take too long. Otherwise it won't look too good (not that it does right now).

he may have already  interviewed the people he needs to interview

12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Lol oh stop it. The Johnsons need the lithium and the fans need treatment for PTSD. I'm sure they can get a bulk discount from J&J.  I am just discussing / asking questions and I am not predicting either scenario. however given this teams history is either case far fetched? 

Like I said I hope they land him but until they do ...... 

And as others have said, they likely don't fire Macc midweek unless they had something in principle already drawn up with someone else.  Just give it a minute.  If the deal falls through then yes, I'll be right there with you hitting the panic button.  But everything that's being reported suggests this is likely going to be a done deal very soon. 

And meanwhile, Douglas' pedigree and resume is far better than any GM candidate we've had in at least two decades, if not ever.  

• Upvote 1

Seriously ? I think you just might be expecting too much from these brothers.

• Upvote 1