Article: Philadelphia Eagles could lose Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, Jets Close to Deal (merged)

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No, the only way to look at it is we have an incompetent owner.  

You must have some level or foresight in a job like that - you must understand how a decision you make now will translate in 4 months.  NFL owners can't manage a business on a day-to-day basis.

This isn't about Mac or even Gase really - it's about Chris Johnson being in way over his head.  And that's the bigger long-term problem for this franchise.

Meh. I agree CJ is no savior; he's the same idiot who gave Macc and Bowles extensions after repeated years of failure. 

There is no decision to replace CJ or Woody since they don't exist within the realm of what is possible. Nor a decision to fire Gase along with him so there's a true clean slate this offseason.

This is a more micro decision regarding the GM at this particular time. That decision was correct, even if it was ridiculously late. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Even if you don't like Gase, you have to like this move. If he proves you right, he'll have no excuses. If he proves you wrong, you should be happy if you're actually a fan of this team. 

we're all talking about it as if it's a done deal...

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

we're all talking about it as if it's a done deal...

It's being reported that way, and it makes sense. Have to think that Gase, reporting directly to the owner, might've casually mentioned that if CJ were to fire Maccagnan, he might know a guy. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, sounds like business as usual.  He won't be "fired at any time."  If they fail, he will be a well-respected guy that only failed because he was forced to bend to Gase's vision.  They will dump Gase and keep him.  I like most of what I have read about Douglas, but he supposedly emphasizes college production over measureables and that led him to pick small-school "producers" like Donnel Pumphery. 

Agreed.  I also like that he comes from two teams that always seemed to put an emphasis on OL.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah. No chance this happens without Gase leading the charge on it. Who knows how Gase will turn out, but it's nice that he's kicking people's asses within the building. 

I was quite open about how much I hated the Gase hire.  He was literally dead last on the list of candidates for me.  However, I'll admit, even if he ends up being a spectacular failure, I'll still forever appreciate what he's done here.

To me, from here on out:  Gase is to Maccagnan, as Favre was to Pennington.

• Post of the Week 1

You can call it a plan, my friend. I'm calling it a successful coup pulled off quickly and with cold hearted precision.
Not only did Gase get rid of Macc, he had a plan in place where he would hand pick his successor. Anyone who thinks this new GM isn't answering to Gase is kidding themselves.

I don’t disagree. But a plan is a plan. I’d even say your example, which I tend to agree with, is still better than CJ going out into the world to interview a bunch of guys for the job cold.
All it would take is a call from tony Gonzalez and we’d have our guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

He’s VP of Player Personnel with the Eagles, so at least he’s an executive and not just a glorified scout. Came up with the Ravens, spent three years with the Eagles, so at least the pedigree is good. Of the available options, this seems like the one least likely to fail spectacularly.

Just playing devil's advocate because nobody really knows anything about these dudes; he was apparently a big part of their roster structure for the Super Bowl team but he arrived in May 2016 to the Eagles.  So he wasnt part of the 2016 offseason.  So wasnt everything kind of already in place before he got there sans a few key FA's?  The 2016 Eagles roster isnt all the much different from 2017.  Just a few tweaks and the drafts he's been a part of have been pretty terrible.

Not to say he's a bad candidate, we dont typically get young and up and comers like this but I'm always curious about what dudes like him really do in the big picture of a franchise.   

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Wow, this is Joe Douglas? Bart Scott was on the radio yesterday saying he used to bully Joe Douglas when he was with the Ravens. What a dick Bart Scott is, btw. 

joe-douglas.jpg

Bart Scott is a big mouth tool.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well this would be nice. An actual plan is just so refreshing.

Was listening to Charlie Weiss on Opening Drive this morning.  He said that an always reliable source sent him a message that the Jets already knew who they wanted several days ago and it's just a matter of getting a deal done and getting him from the team he currently works for.  He said his source is 100% reliable.   So they (Gase, CJ, Woody) knew who they wanted many days ago and this has been planned for some time coming.

• Sympathy 1

Was listening to Charlie Weiss on Opening Drive this morning.  He said that an always reliable source sent him a message that the Jets already knew who they wanted several days ago and it's just a matter of getting a deal done and getting him from the team he currently works for.  He said his source is 100% reliable.   So they (Gase, CJ, Woody) knew who they wanted many days ago and this has been planned for some time coming.

Yeah. I heard part of that. This info is helping a bit. I’d like to get Jeremiah too.

Hey. I’m rooting for the best here. I’d like Gase to have some checks and balances ova heyaaa

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah. I heard part of that. This info is helping a bit. I’d like to get Jeremiah too.

Hey. I’m rooting for the best here. I’d like Gase to have some checks and balances ova heyaaa

you think they asked the eagles permission before they fired mccags, if they even need to?