Gase: Success or Failure?

jgb

Will Gase be HC of NYJ on 17 May 2022?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Yeah or nay

Yes.  Todd Bowles and Mac just got 4 years and oversaw the 3rd worst team in the league during that time frame. 

Gase is clearly pulling the strings and is going to be crucial in structuring the front office.  So he's going to get 4-5 years, me thinks. 

• Upvote 3

Is Adam Gase a better coach than Todd Bowles? Without a doubt. Is a vacant seat better than Macc sitting in it? Without a doubt yes. Is Joe Douglas a better option than Macc? Without a doubt yes. Are the Jets in better shape today than yesterday? Without a doubt yes. Does this guarantee Gase is a golden god destined to take us to glory? Absolutely not. But the odds for the Jets are a lot better now than they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I need a third and fourth option of "I have no idea" and "all signs point to failure based on his resume"

Either way, this is his team now with his GM coming soon. 

I can only wonder who else could have been in the running if both Toilet and Coffee Addict were canned last year and Synergy Johnson promised the keys to the kingdom the way he just did for Gase and his vision.

• Upvote 1

Would love to be proven wrong... But my gut instinct right now is that Gase has the same flaws now that caused him to fail in Miami. He's a prickly control freak who rubs people the wrong way, can't get along with stars, and demands everything done his way -- despite not having the track record to demand it.

• Upvote 4

I will go a little further - I almost created a new thread but I think this one is suffice.

IS GASE THE SAVIOR?

Yes, Mac is gone because he forced him out but with the control he has just been given; even with the ability to get his guy for GM - is he the right guy to be at the helm?

Also, if Mac had been fired with Bowles, and Johnson says to the candidates: "I am giving you cart blanche to run this franchise and get your guys in here to run this." - who else could we have gotten with that type of power and our cap space?

Remember, he was going to be the QB of the offense and Greg Williams was going to be the QB of the Defense. Now he is running the whole thing.

Just now, MasterChiefJets said:

I will go a little further - I almost created a new thread but I think this one is suffice.

IS GASE THE SAVIOR?

Yes, Mac is gone because he forced him out but with the control he has just been given; even with the ability to get his guy for GM - is he the right guy to be at the helm?

Also, if Mac had been fired with Bowles, and Johnson says to the candidates: "I am giving you cart blanche to run this franchise and get your guys in here to run this." - who else could we have gotten with that type of power and our cap space?

If Gase is the savoir, I’m converting religions. 

A guy everyone here was mocking 6 months ago is now off limits and subject to butt fumbles if anyone suggests he might fail. 

Not surprised, Jets fans literally always wrong as a group. 

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Would love to be proven wrong... But my gut instinct right now is that Gase has the same flaws now that caused him to fail in Miami. He's a prickly control freak who rubs people the wrong way, can't get along with stars, and demands everything done his way -- despite not having the track record to demand it.

Reminds me of Bellichick on his way to NE.  Who knows?....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Incredible endorsement ? 

“Once a proven failure turned it around, hey it would happen again.”

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Ok folks, here we go. I don't care about e-pride but a lot of you boys do. So here's your shot to get glory or ignominy forever! 

The odds strongly and materially favor failure.  Odds always say the failure > success, because so few NFL coaches succeed, and fewer still win Titles.  That's just math.

With that said, I don't see what a lot of my fellow Jets Fans see in this google-eyed anti-social supposed "QB genius".  I don't see it in the stats, don't see it in his record, don't see it it the man, I just don't see it.  

And this whole recent situation reeks of bad things.  Macc deserved to be fired, make no mistake, but on his own merit (or lack thereof).  Not because Gase wanted it (and I believe that's reason #1, despite any other PR to the contrary).

Gase already alienating his top offensive weapon (Darnold is our biggest long term asset, Bell is our best offensive player today).

Traded away a (admittedly disappointing) #1 pick on D for a bag of footballs rather then use him as depth/try him under Williams this year (before Gase inevitably dumps Williams in the 2020 off-season for "his guy').

So yeah, I think we'll be better, we're materially better in talent, and should be materially better on Defense.  On O, we'll be better, but it's questionable if Gase's O will rank better in NY than it did in Miami, i.e. mid-20's.

And I think NY media will murder Gase by year's end.  Especially if we lose, or lose early.

I HOPE for wins.  Always.  I support our laundry, and whomever wears it, my fav' or not.  Maybe Darnold is so good he can overcome everything and win regardless!  That's be pretty sweet.

But I can separate prediction from fandom.  My fandom hopes we win, and I'm laughed off JN for my pessimism.  

My prediction is more of the SOJ dysfunction, probably some early hope, followed by the usual slow decline into the bowels of NFL joke.

That's my honest take, which sadly round here is likely to just farm me some buttfumbles....

free_range_chicken_and_farmer_photo_via_

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's not impossible. If Darnold blossoms and we hire the right personnel guy maybe it will work... But part of the difference is that Belichick had a breather to reflect on what went wrong before his second stint.

• Sympathy 1

Firing Macc now really shows a level of incompetency on the part of Chris Johnson that can only be matched by Leon Hess in 1994, when he fired Pete Carroll and hired Rich Kotite to replace him.

As for Gase, I can't really judge him until I see how the team plays next season. Macc was only a few weeks removed from a bunch of positive signings and the $200M spending spree. Why would you let Macc do that and the draft and then fire him a few weeks later? It's a joke and Christopher Johnson is now the laughing stock of the league. Seriously, I wonder what happened behind the scenes regarding his firing and how much Gase had to do with it.

This is going to affect who applies to replace Macc.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This.  

Gase is a failure.you don't bring in a guy who sucked at coaching a team and then make excuses for why he it wasn't his fault. Additionally there were rumors he caused tons of drama in the front office, already he has caused drama in the front office (allegedly). His reward is to be temporarily promoted to gm and given control over the roster? Is it really even a wonder why the rest of the league thinks our organization is a joke?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app