Gase: Success or Failure?

jgb

Will Gase be HC of NYJ on 17 May 2022?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Yeah or nay

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's not impossible. If Darnold blossoms and we hire the right personnel guy maybe it will work... But part of the difference is that Belichick had a breather to reflect on what went wrong before his second stint.

Also Belichick had a long and terrific track record as a DC and is a sane person.  Gase's resume is basically that Peyton talked him up.

Lets forget we are Jets fans, and look at this objectively.

We all know Gase's history in Miami. Hell, up until 5 months ago we were all laughing at what a circus he was running down there. Please explain what we've seen here since he was hired that could have changed that opinion?

He's here 4 months, and here's what we've seen so far:

!) His legendary introductory press conference

2) No sign of him during and immediately after the draft amongst rumors of division between him and the GM

3) Mirroring his history in Miami, he already begins alienating players, complaining about the money FA's were signed for

4) Rumors are proven true about him and Macc. Gase in a move reminiscent of a Banana Republic rebel leader quickly stages a coup and assumes control of the Jets, even to the point where he'll get to hire his "superior," the next GM

If this happened to the Raiders, Giants, or Browns, we'd be hysterically laughing at how inept they were. But its the Jets, and Macc is gone now, so nobody really cares. Just to put icing on this cake, people here are suddenly talking about Douglas (the presumed puppet GM) as if he is the second coming, LOL

My prediction? A wild first year. We could go 1-5 out of the gate, but I'm going to guess we go 2-4, and finish 8-8 which would be fine by me. However, you just know this is going to implode from within. It might happen during the'20 season, but I'm betting on just rumblings then. It all crumbles in the '21 season, with players leaking complaints to the press, who by this time have been using Gase as a piñata.

Gase is let go on Black Monday 2022

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

The odds strongly and materially favor failure.  Odds always say the failure > success, because so few NFL coaches succeed, and fewer still win Titles.  That's just math.

With that said, I don't see what a lot of my fellow Jets Fans see in this google-eyed anti-social supposed "QB genius".  I don't see it in the stats, don't see it in his record, don't see it it the man, I just don't see it.  

And this whole recent situation reeks of bad things.  Macc deserved to be fired, make no mistake, but on his own merit (or lack thereof).  Not because Gase wanted it (and I believe that's reason #1, despite any other PR to the contrary).

Gase already alienating his top offensive weapon (Darnold is our biggest long term asset, Bell is our best offensive player today).

Traded away a (admittedly disappointing) #1 pick on D for a bag of footballs rather then use him as depth/try him under Williams this year (before Gase inevitably dumps Williams in the 2020 off-season for "his guy').

So yeah, I think we'll be better, we're materially better in talent, and should be materially better on Defense.  On O, we'll be better, but it's questionable if Gase's O will rank better in NY than it did in Miami, i.e. mid-20's.

And I think NY media will murder Gase by year's end.  Especially if we lose, or lose early.

I HOPE for wins.  Always.  I support our laundry, and whomever wears it, my fav' or not.  Maybe Darnold is so good he can overcome everything and win regardless!  That's be pretty sweet.

But I can separate prediction from fandom.  My fandom hopes we win, and I'm laughed off JN for my pessimism.  

My prediction is more of the SOJ dysfunction, probably some early hope, followed by the usual slow decline into the bowels of NFL joke.

That's my honest take, which sadly round here is likely to just farm me some buttfumbles....

free_range_chicken_and_farmer_photo_via_

This is what I would’ve wrote if I had the time and energy ? 

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I hate Gase and the fact that they hired him but there’s no way to know until the season is half way through at least. 

This is absolutely true, but giving him full control is a wild, insane, desperate Hail Mary. Always bet again those.

20 hours ago, jgb said:

Ok folks, here we go. I don't care about e-pride but a lot of you boys do. So here's your shot to get glory or ignominy forever! 

I say yes, here's why. 

Outside of the circus aspect of this franchise, Gase was clearly not happy with what Macc was doing, so much so that he influenced Macc being Jettisoned from the team. 

That in itself is a bit bullish given that anyone with a brain could see that Macc was terrible, and Gase was clearly not happy with Macc's direction. So at bare minimum we should get a better product. 

Most folks arent pissed that Macc was fired, it was just the timing of it. Gase does need to show and prove though. He seems to want alot, but has no track record to prove that putting the franchise in his hands is a good thing. 

• Upvote 1