Tannenbaum on Michael Kay about Gase

It's going to be good or an absolute disaster...  it should be resolved fairly quickly as in 2 years Woody may be back looking to make his presence felt.

Gases tough guy persona will not fly with the fan base or media if the Jets are anything less than a playoff team.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

20 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Some interesting observations on Gase when he was with him in Miami (I'm tired of the Mac talk--BTW all the radio dudes are killing the firing but it's done so f*ck it).

Said he's a great coach, very demanding, had no problem working with him and in fact enjoyed the challenge.  Said he wants what he wants and we shouldn't be too put off about the Bell/Crowder/Mosely nonsense--because it was more about the money spent rather than the actual players.  

Said he's going to make Sam a 70% completion guy specifically because of Bell.  Going to make Sam a top tier QB. 

Kay weighed in with a comment that he's friendly with someone in the Denver front office who was there with Gase and this guy said Gase is an absolutely brilliant coach, really really smart, very demanding, an outstanding offensive mind and is going to be a great coach for the Jets.

So the fear that Gase is running roughshod over the owner and about running the show when he hasn't proven all that much should not be that big of a fear. 

This is going to be a fun season and possible decade plus of Jets football.

Good to hear but I would be way more happy if we get Joe Douglas. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Some interesting observations on Gase when he was with him in Miami (I'm tired of the Mac talk--BTW all the radio dudes are killing the firing but it's done so f*ck it).

Said he's a great coach, very demanding, had no problem working with him and in fact enjoyed the challenge.  Said he wants what he wants and we shouldn't be too put off about the Bell/Crowder/Mosely nonsense--because it was more about the money spent rather than the actual players.  

Said he's going to make Sam a 70% completion guy specifically because of Bell.  Going to make Sam a top tier QB. 

Kay weighed in with a comment that he's friendly with someone in the Denver front office who was there with Gase and this guy said Gase is an absolutely brilliant coach, really really smart, very demanding, an outstanding offensive mind and is going to be a great coach for the Jets.

So the fear that Gase is running roughshod over the owner and about running the show when he hasn't proven all that much should not be that big of a fear. 

That is the stuff I hear.  Pay no attention to the trolls behind the curtain

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's going to be good or an absolute disaster...  it should be resolved fairly quickly as in 2 years Woody may be back looking to make his presence felt.

Gases tough guy persona will not fly with the fan base or media if the Jets are anything less than a playoff team.

Rex got away with it for 4 playoffless years

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jack48 said:

CJ is afraid to give full control to a GM or a HC

Really?  Because it feels like he just gave full control to Gase.  He's now the HC and interim-GM and he's going to help hire the next GM.  I think the next GM is basically his puppet because Gase has already proven he has the faith of ownership by winning the power struggle (that both he and CJ are trying to pretend didn't happen).

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Anyone saying “look at this, they brought this guy in he’s not even a .500 coach”...he was close to .500 with Tannehill and Osweiler. 

Watch what happens with Darnold...and enjoy...for a long time.

This.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Really?  Because it feels like he just gave full control to Gase.  He's now the HC and interim-GM and he's going to help hire the next GM.  I think the next GM is basically his puppet because Gase has already proven he has the faith of ownership by winning the power struggle (that both he and CJ are trying to pretend didn't happen).

he said he is hiring a GM and both will answer to him.  That seems plain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Yeah, also heard Mikey T on a local show.  It struck me that he might be campaigning for the job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I just hope you're correct? I'm not going to lie, I've been front and center calling for Mac's job. I've wanted him gone since 2016. 

Now that it has happened?

I'm pretty nervous. I'm afraid the Jets will in classic Jets fashion make another doozy bad hire? I'm thinking the worst.

But when I start thinking logically, I can't help but think this has to be a dream job for a potential GM. The Jets have brand new, state of the art digs, New unis, an excellent location, 40 million in cap space, some excellent talent added through FA, but most of all they have two signature players in Darnold and Jamal. The Jets already have a QB in a QB driven league. The hardest part has already been achieved. What GM wouldn't want this job? They get an easier job than normal and they get to take all the credit whenever that comes. It's a no brainer attractive job.

So in the end, I guess I'm pretty optimistic.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NYJ1 said:

I just hope you're correct? I'm not going to lie, I've been front and center calling for Mac's job. I've wanted him gone since 2016. 

Now that it has happened?

I'm pretty nervous. I'm afraid the Jets will in classic Jets fashion make another doozy bad hire? I'm thinking the worst.

But when I start thinking logically, I can't help but think this has to be a dream job for a potential GM. The Jets have brand new, state of the art digs, New unis, an excellent location, 40 million in cap space, some excellent talent added through FA, but most of all they have two signature players in Darnold and Jamal. The Jets already have a QB in a QB driven league. The hardest part has already been achieved. What GM wouldn't want this job? They get an easier job than normal and they get to take all the credit whenever that comes. It's a no brainer attractive job.

So in the end, I guess I'm pretty optimistic.

What I’ve been saying and what I’ve always felt. 

It is all about the QB. 

He’s the best college QB I’ve seen since Luck. 

He’s the real deal. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Anyone saying “look at this, they brought this guy in he’s not even a .500 coach”...he was close to .500 with Tannehill and Osweiler. 

Watch what happens with Darnold...and enjoy...for a long time.

I just read Gase's BIO.  It's solid.  I would rather have him than another DC.  

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I jusr read Gase's BIO.  It's solid.  I would rather have him than another DC.  

I think that right there is the linchpin.

We've been trotting out defensive minded HCs for over a decade in an offensive league.

I feel like we've finally come into the 21st Century of the NFL.

And not an old fuddy offensive coach but a young innovative offensive wizard.

This is going to be fun.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Everyone always telling Gase he is brilliant is why Gase' head is about to explode with overconfidence. Let's just wait until the season comes and see what happens. 

Gase says he doesn't read the paper, listen to the radio or pay attention to social media.  

So maybe he's not getting a big head on that account. 

Maybe he's just confident in his abilities.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Pac said:

Rex presided over the greatest 2 year run 95% of the people on this board ever saw in all the years they've watched the Jets.

Let's hope Gase can come close to that his 1st 2 years. 

it would help if he inherited the talent that Rex did from his predecessor

6 minutes ago, jack48 said:

not what he said. you must be a mindreader

Gase won the power struggle because CJ said he didn't like how Macc and Gase were getting along.  That means the next GM will be someone who must get along with Gase. 

Gase is also the interim GM and is going to "help pick the GM".  Do you really think CJ is going to say no to whatever Gase wants? 

Gase holds ALL the cards here.  CJ can't afford for Gase to freak out.  He CAN'T fire him right now because it would be a MONUMENTAL PR disaster.  Gase knows full well the power he now holds (and "how much power he has" is one thing I'm fully confident he's aware of).

I stand by my point.  Gase is picking the GM.

• Upvote 2