Tannenbaum on Michael Kay about Gase

28 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah he never had a QB though. Rex had his faults - but even with a half way decent QB he wins the super bowl at least one of those seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I claim BS , Sanchez was far from the reason the Jets lost in those 2 AFCCCG's , it was the vaunted Rex D that shart the bed.  They might have won a SB if they kept the Oline in tact , that was the downfall of Sanchez and the Rex coached Jets.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

Tannebaum is a good GM. Understands that in this league, unless you have a Tom Brady playing for below market value, when you have a window you gotta go all in, later cap consequences be damned. And it got us to two AFC championship games. Yes they fell short but what did people want him to do, not try?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I claim BS , Sanchez was far from the reason the Jets lost in those 2 AFCCCG's , it was the vaunted Rex D that shart the bed.  They might have won a SB if they kept the Oline in tact , that was the downfall of Sanchez and the Rex coached Jets.

The Colts outclassed us that year (though we were in it in the 1st half).  The Steeler game was a disaster start that we couldn't dig out of.  But the team probably wasn't prepared for the Steelers because they were so psyched about beating the Pats the week prior.  It was a big disappointment but that win over the Pats was still a VERY sweet win.  Sadly, it was our last playoff victory to this day.  (and the Pats have won 3 of the last 4 SBs).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Some interesting observations on Gase when he was with him in Miami (I'm tired of the Mac talk--BTW all the radio dudes are killing the firing but it's done so f*ck it).

Said he's a great coach, very demanding, had no problem working with him and in fact enjoyed the challenge.  Said he wants what he wants and we shouldn't be too put off about the Bell/Crowder/Mosely nonsense--because it was more about the money spent rather than the actual players.  

Said he's going to make Sam a 70% completion guy specifically because of Bell.  Going to make Sam a top tier QB. 

Kay weighed in with a comment that he's friendly with someone in the Denver front office who was there with Gase and this guy said Gase is an absolutely brilliant coach, really really smart, very demanding, an outstanding offensive mind and is going to be a great coach for the Jets.

So the fear that Gase is running roughshod over the owner and about running the show when he hasn't proven all that much should not be that big of a fear. 

This is going to be a fun season and possible decade plus of Jets football.

So, I guess we should assume the words of Tannenbaum and Kay are more valuable than the actual facts of his performance as a head coach.

I could find countless articles of people praising Mac and Bowles, heck Mac won Executive of the Year.  

Performance is what matters, not words.  Gase's performance as a HC has proven to be bad..

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, I guess we should assume the words of Tannenbaum and Kay are more valuable than the actual facts of his performance as a head coach.

I could find countless articles of people praising Mac and Bowles, heck Mac won Executive of the Year.  

Performance is what matters, not words.  Gase's performance as a HC has proven to be bad..

Those were bad fish teams that exceeded expectations every year with Gase as head coach. He has a winning record when the Titans new backup was healthy for him. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Some interesting observations on Gase when he was with him in Miami (I'm tired of the Mac talk--BTW all the radio dudes are killing the firing but it's done so f*ck it).

Said he's a great coach, very demanding, had no problem working with him and in fact enjoyed the challenge.  Said he wants what he wants and we shouldn't be too put off about the Bell/Crowder/Mosely nonsense--because it was more about the money spent rather than the actual players.  

Said he's going to make Sam a 70% completion guy specifically because of Bell.  Going to make Sam a top tier QB. 

Kay weighed in with a comment that he's friendly with someone in the Denver front office who was there with Gase and this guy said Gase is an absolutely brilliant coach, really really smart, very demanding, an outstanding offensive mind and is going to be a great coach for the Jets.

So the fear that Gase is running roughshod over the owner and about running the show when he hasn't proven all that much should not be that big of a fear. 

This is going to be a fun season and possible decade plus of Jets football.

one man's opinion

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Those were bad fish teams that exceeded expectations every year with Gase as head coach. He has a winning record when the Titans new backup was healthy for him. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Darnold. 

Who was picking the player on those bad fish teams?

Tanny wants Gase to offer him a job with the Jets.

I mean like I said earlier in this thread, it wouldnt be the worst thing. Lombardi was on wfan earlier and said Gase probably needs someone with some experience. I agree that he probably does. Someone who isnt afraid to disagree with him. I feel like the best set up would be Pioli in Heimis old role and Tanny as GM. Jmho.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What the actual f*ck. 

I’m just repeating what I heard. Thought others would want to hear it too  

Believe what you want. 

Or not. 

Ryan Tannehill (3 Years with Gase - Only Played 2)

65.9% completion, 5.4TD%, 3.2 INT%, 7.5 Y/A, 207.3 Y/G, 93.2 Rating

Player A: 

65.4% completion, 4.5TD%, 3.0 INT%, 8.5 Y/A, 253 Y/G, 94.1 Rating

Player A? Jimmy Garrapolo in SF, who everyone is excited to see back after injury, while Tannehill is a backup in Tennessee now.  I'm not worried about Gase not being a good offensive guy.  

This teem needs depth though, and the next GM has to do a better shot at it.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Gase won the power struggle because CJ said he didn't like how Macc and Gase were getting along.  That means the next GM will be someone who must get along with Gase. 

Gase is also the interim GM and is going to "help pick the GM".  Do you really think CJ is going to say no to whatever Gase wants? 

Gase holds ALL the cards here.  CJ can't afford for Gase to freak out.  He CAN'T fire him right now because it would be a MONUMENTAL PR disaster.  Gase knows full well the power he now holds (and "how much power he has" is one thing I'm fully confident he's aware of).

I stand by my point.  Gase is picking the GM.

When did he say that? You are supposing.  If I were to conjecture, I would suppose that Gase got here, saw the way the organization was run, recognized, as any savvy NFL guy would that it was a flawed organization, and decided that he did not want to go out front and answer for it every week.  If he was going to be judged by results, then he was going to get results.  What Johnson has said is that Macc took too long to make decisions.  What other people are saying is that Heimerdinger often made the decisions for him.  What happened at the draft I do not know.  Maybe it will come out.  A lot of times things stay behind the scenes in football.  But if I am Gase I am going to do everything in my power to put a successful product ont he field.  Why be a silent partner to a clown show?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RSJ said:

Yeah he never had a QB though. Rex had his faults - but even with a half way decent QB he wins the super bowl at least one of those seasons.

he would have gotten to one.  He blew the Indianapolis game by going soft int he second half.  The Pitt game was a Sanchez sh*t show the first half, and a failure on his part at the goal line in the second.  Thether they win the SB is up in the air

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Rex could coach some, but he lacked discipline, and the longer he coached here the more it showed.

Rex always builds momentum in whatever direction the team is trending. When things are going well, it's a great attribute and he has the players believing they can do anything. When times are bad under Rex, adversity always concludes with an inevitable annihilation.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, funaz said:

Rex was the most successful coach in Jets history outside of Weeb. Thats the reason he got the 4 extra years.

The last two were  a mistake.  Along with Idzik, of course.  I read that book about Rex and it was very informative.  Changed my opinion a little.  It is hard not to like Rex.  But it is also not hard to see his flaws as a HC

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

he would have gotten to one.  He blew the Indianapolis game by going soft int he second half.  The Pitt game was a Sanchez sh*t show the first half, and a failure on his part at the goal line in the second.  Thether they win the SB is up in the air

We're doing the woulda thing about this now, seriously? Yes, maybe if things were completely different the Colts wouldn't have taken a dive on a perfect record just to get us into the playoffs. So close!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So was Belicheck's in Cleveland, then he got a QB in NE. Just like Gase now gets a QB in NY.

Heard a portion of the interview again last night on ESPN's Hahn Solo and some folks aren't going to like this.

Tanny basically said, if this team turns out to be pretty good with the latest crop of draftees and FA moves but ESPECIALLY if Sam turns out to be a superstar QB for the Jets for years, ironically THAT is going to be Mac's lasting legacy.

Not all the crap moves or mistakes or Trumaine or who we passed on or all the DTs or even Hack.  

If Sam turns out to be who we are all hoping, that will be all that matters and Mac's true legacy and it can't be taken away from him.

Not my words.  

20 hours ago, Pac said:

It's going to be good or an absolute disaster...  it should be resolved fairly quickly as in 2 years Woody may be back looking to make his presence felt.

Gases tough guy persona will not fly with the fan base or media if the Jets are anything less than a playoff team.

Why would woody come back in 2 years ? Even after the President’s second term ends in 2024, it’s likely the new prez asks him to stay on. You wouldn’t be rooting for Gase to fail just because of your deep mac love would you ?