Costello: Gase and Le'Veon Bell have been speaking almost daily

IMG_6351.thumb.jpg.b8ebc8188158c160c7b7aef4bb718d90.jpg

https://nypost.com/2019/05/16/how-adam-gase-is-trying-to-save-leveon-bell-relationship/

Now that the partnership between Adam Gase and Mike Maccagnan has ended, the focus of the Jets world shifts to another relationship: Gase and star running back Le’Veon Bell.

One area of fallout from Wednesday’s news that the Jets may have not anticipated was the reporting that emerged about coach Gase not being fully on board with the signing of Bell to a four-year, $52.5 million deal in March.

A source said Gase and Bell have been in constant contact since the offseason program began last month despite Bell not being in Florham Park for most of the workouts. The two communicated after the Maccagnan firing both on Wednesday and Thursday, and the conversations have been positive, according to the source.

Bell took to Twitter on Wednesday to say he was not worried about the reports.

“There’s been a BUNCH of false reports and speculation about me in the past about things I’ve said and done, so I’m used to this,” Bell tweeted. “I don’t jump to conclusions when I hear or see a story that may affect me.

“Even if reports are true, that won’t stop me from doing what I came here to do…everyone has a job to do, and I’m gonna do mine whether people “like” me or not. I’m here to win football games.”

Gase may have an easy way out of this by pointing the finger at the media, as Bell alluded to. There were reports on Wednesday, including in The Post, about Gase being against paying Bell as much as the Jets did. Other reports took it a step further that Gase did not want Bell at all.

The Jets coach can easily deny the reports to Bell and blame the media, which Bell has his own issues with.

But Gase must then keep Bell happy when the season starts, or this issue may bubble up again. It will be up to Gase to keep Bell’s workload at a level that makes the running back content.

If Bell thrives with the Jets under Gase and the team wins, none of this talk in May will matter, including Bell’s absence from voluntary workouts. Gase certainly would love to have all of his players participating in the offseason program, but he also understands that players prepare in different ways. Bell has been up front with Gase about his plan and has kept him posted with updates on his workouts in Florida. All anyone has to do is check out Bell’s Instagram page to see his workout videos there.

The Jets have their mandatory minicamp on June 4-6, and Bell is expected to be there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Omg!!!!!! More evidence that Gase is a cancer and will destroy darnold!!!!!!! Our window is almost closed!!!!!!!!! Same ole jets wahhhhhhhhhhh

How dare the coach demand his $50 million running back practice?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How dare the coach demand his $50 million running back practice?

What he will be at practice, it's silly to think bell must be at ota's or it's some kind of disaster, it's like this is your first time seeing an off season.

Don't worry bud we will be fine and arguably the best back in the league will be ready to play.

• Upvote 4

This is so overblown. Every coach, GM, owner has positions they do not prioritize. It’s hard to give ANY running back top dollar so I completely understand Gase’s point of view. 

On the other hand, I actually like Bell’s contract. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

“There’s been a BUNCH of false reports and speculation about me in the past about things I’ve said and done, so I’m used to this,” Bell tweeted. “I don’t jump to conclusions when I hear or see a story that may affect me.

“Even if reports are true, that won’t stop me from doing what I came here to do…everyone has a job to do, and I’m gonna do mine whether people “like” me or not. I’m here to win football games.

THIS!  This is all I care about, and is all that matters to me.  If we remember correctly, LeVeon Bell was more than transparent with his public comments during his acrimonious "negotiations" with the Steelers.  Platitudes for the sake of public consumption are not his style.

The fact that these are his feelings and perceptions of the latest Jet Public Dysfunction Display should be all that matter. Not whether or not he showed up for a few days of Frisbee and Fun with his new teammates in the beginning of May.  When the lights go on, he'll be there with "Bells on".

• Upvote 2

Like usual It's just our beat writers being b****s, stirring things up. They're all already 5 minutes away from being Bleacher Report contributors the way media jobs are dying off. God knows none of them could ever get a real job and now their source in the franchise got headshotted by a guy who give zero ****s about them. I hope we win more than ever just to piss them off.

• Upvote 2

If I were Gase I'd meet with Bell in person. 

Gase: "Hey Bell, I'll be real with you, I love you as a player and a talent but I had a philisophical difference of opinion when it came to paying a RB that much money. Now that you are a Jet I want to make you the best RB in the league regardless of what you are being paid. We cool?"

Bell: "Considering the lack of bidding for my services, I appreciate your honesty. Let's go get a ring"

That type of story wouldn't generate clicks though.

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Listen to Charlie Caserley go FULL DAMAGE CONTROL speaking on Macc, but in that damage control he says something regarding Gase and his interactions with the player's that may be interesting to some.

I'd rather not listen to that jackass so can you just tell us what might be interesting to some?