Macc Fired for... hiring process that landed Gase?

jgb

Article insinuates that the Jets had two different finalists, but due to Macc running a Mickey Mouse search, they were forced to settle on Gase who "somehow emerged" at the end of the process. The irony is almost too delicious for this to be true.

Is this why Jets fired Mike Maccagnan? Here's what reportedly happened during their recent coach search

The New York Jets made an abrupt change in leadership on Wednesday by axing general manager Mike Maccagnan just three weeks after the 2019 NFL Draft, and while the team has a long history of confusing decisions, this one remains a head-scratcher.

That's because Maccagnan is only a few months removed from overseeing a spending spree -- of almost $200 million -- to restock the Jets for Year Two of the Sam Darnold era.

Joining Will Brinson on the Thursday edition of the Pick Six Podcast, Andrew Perloff of The Dan Patrick Show shared one of the potentially big reasons Maccagnan has been ousted in favor of more power for new coach Adam Gase -- and it has to do with the way Maccagnan went about hiring Gase in the first place.

"That coaching search, both from what I've heard inside and the outside, was a mess," Perloff said. "There were basically two candidates at the end, and Adam Gase somehow emerged. From everything I've heard, it was not well run or well organized by Maccagnan. So I think that might've played into it."

Not only that, Perloff continued, but it was apparent early in the offseason that it was "kind of a weird marriage" between Gase, "this sort of hardcore, disciplinarian coach" and the type of big-name free agents that Maccagnan paid -- guys like Le'Veon Bell, who landed a big-money deal but didn't attend early voluntary workouts.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/is-this-why-jets-fired-mike-maccagnan-heres-what-reportedly-happened-during-their-recent-coach-search/

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

There could be validity to this. It wasnt like Gase was the top guy. I heard that Macc originally wanted Matt Rhule as the HC with Gase and Williams as the coordinators. 

It seems like Gase became the coach out of desperation given that they didnt get their top guys originally for the job which included Ruhle, Kingsbury and Todd Monkin. I heard that most of these guys didnt take the job because they wanted to hire their own staff and either Macc or Macc/Chris wasnt allowing it. 

Gase wasnt even a consideration, and he's gone from being a desperate hire to running the entire ship. 

I've never seen anything like this in my life. This just reminds me back when folks were laughing at the Browns after Haley was trying to undermine Hue Jackson. Well, Order was established because their is a compartmentalized hierarchy that John Dorsey made sure to maintain when the shenanigans were occurring, and he righted that ship quickly. Chris Johnson basically allowed a new HC that's been on the scene for 15 minutes force out your GM that he claimed to have "loved his direction and leadership" just a couple months prior. 

This is why at the end of the 2017 season heading into the 2018 offseason Macc and Bowles should have been fired there. 

Look at all of this dysfunction that is around Sam Darnold now. Whatever GM we get, he's going to have to be fully on board with whatever Gase wants to do. This is completely backwards. Furthermore, Gase will not be answering to the GM, it'll probably be the "partnership" nonsense that never works. 

I'd rather have Gase keep both roles than another arranged marriage. At least (presumably) if Gase sucks he will be exposed quickly and booted.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The coaching search was such a fail they fired the searcher and gave his job to the fail.

Doesn't get a whole lot Jetsier than this.

You “happy “Mac fan boys need to get over it already. We know whatever team he becomes the coffee boy for will be your new favorite team ?

• Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Look at all of this dysfunction that is around Sam Darnold now. Whatever GM we get, he's going to have to be fully on board with whatever Gase wants to do. This is completely backwards. Furthermore, Gase will not be answering to the GM, it'll probably be the "partnership" nonsense that never works. 

For better or worse this is the gase show now, any GM that is going to take the job is going to be either be very tight with Gase or extremely unqualified to the point that this is potentially  their only chance at the top gig.

I do believe the HC spot was an attractive job due to Darnold, 1.3 and 100M to spend, but this GM openning is sh*t because the roster is set for 19 and there will be limited flexibility in 20

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

For better or worse this is the gase show now, any GM that is going to take the job is going to be either be very tight with Gase or extremely unqualified to the point that this is potentially  their only chance at the top gig.

I do believe the HC spot was an attractive nob due to Darnold, 1.3 and 100M to spend, but this GM openning is sh*t because the roster is set for 19 and there will be limited flexibility in 20

Whoever we get to replace Mac will obviously be better. You. Can’t do worse than that imbecile. Should have been canned in Jan 100%, but better now then next Jan

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've never seen anything like this in my life. This just reminds me back when folks were laughing at the Browns after Haley was trying to undermine Hue Jackson. Well, Order was established because their is a compartmentalized hierarchy that John Dorsey made sure to maintain when the shenanigans were occurring, and he righted that ship quickly

Please.  Let's not hold the Brown's up as some kind of model of stability and success.  Need I remind you of their string of  "successes" over the course of the last 10 years.  They're 31st in the league. Only the Rams have lost more games.  Our beloved Jets aren't nearly as bad, ranked  21st. 

Explain that one to me.  Now,  they've pretty much filled their roster with a who's who of every overhyped underachievers from the past couple years who's worked his way off their former teams, but managed to avoid suspension or prison. The balance is a group of top draft choices garnered from having the perenially worst record in the league.  Congratulations.

This cast of characters has been handed over to a lifetime assistant, who inherited the position based on short term "success" and a popularity contest, judged by your wunderkind quarterback.  They've won no Super Bowls.  They've not won any playoff games.  To date they've done nothing but be touted as the latest "flavor of the month" by the mob.  We'll see how well this works out.

Already, "Osmell Beckam Jr." appears to be stirring the pot with his no show at this weeks "team activities" and his comments about his non-attendance.  Freddy Kitchens is already "dancing".  Maybe it's a sign of things to come.  Maybe, not.  Have fun...…….

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Okay, he's an idiot. And we've got a team built by an idiot and a coach hired by an idiot. And you're content to settle for one less idiot like we actually won a game or something. Set the bar lower, seriously. Because it's a blast having to watch a team made for the four-year old demographic.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

There could be validity to this. It wasnt like Gase was the top guy. I heard that Macc originally wanted Matt Rhule as the HC with Gase and Williams as the coordinators. 

It seems like Gase became the coach out of desperation given that they didnt get their top guys originally for the job which included Ruhle, Kingsbury and Todd Monkin. I heard that most of these guys didnt take the job because they wanted to hire their own staff and either Macc or Macc/Chris wasnt allowing it. 

Gase wasnt even a consideration, and he's gone from being a desperate hire to running the entire ship. 

I've never seen anything like this in my life. This just reminds me back when folks were laughing at the Browns after Haley was trying to undermine Hue Jackson. Well, Order was established because their is a compartmentalized hierarchy that John Dorsey made sure to maintain when the shenanigans were occurring, and he righted that ship quickly. Chris Johnson basically allowed a new HC that's been on the scene for 15 minutes force out your GM that he claimed to have "loved his direction and leadership" just a couple months prior. 

This is why at the end of the 2017 season heading into the 2018 offseason Macc and Bowles should have been fired there. 

maybe.  but one other aspect of this is that the jets have an alpha male or two in the room now whereas both mac and bowles were very much betas.  maybe bowles was more alpha than we think but he also wasn't the kind to make a ton of waves.  so johnson finally has guys who know what they want and aren't afraid and this is all new.  he hasn't seen this type of behavior for the at least the past 4 seasons.  so, in a sense johnson is choosing the type of person he wants to run his team and he doesn't want beta mac to be in the position.

and let's understand too that some reports had mac on his way out with the texans before he got his gm job.  so not only did woody hire a first time gm but also got a guy who was bad at his previous job. 

this move had to be made.  it would have been a huge distraction as the media like maneesh would've been right in there stirring things up.

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You “happy “Mac fan boys need to get over it already. We know whatever team he becomes the coffee boy for will be your new favorite team ?

you know something if Gase fails like he failed in Miami I wont gloat in watching my favorite team lose. 

these are basic facts

He is a sub 500 coach 

he has ego issues screamed at the owner ( at least Ross had the balls to fire him https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223850050.html)

he has never developed a young qb

his claim to fame is coaching P Manning and having him get a call from him to land him this job

he did not get Miami's best players to buy into his system

A sub 500 coach does not deserve or merit this kind of control of team that should be concentrating everything on Sam.

And if any of the above is true it is embarrassing for the fans, the staff and the owners 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

here is the thing about Lombardi he is looking for a way back into the nfl. I would not trust allot of what he says because he is fishing for attention.

I still think this is power play by Gase and any rope or slack he had went out the door with Mac who the perfect person to blame and get some breathing room. He has to win period otherwise it will get ugly just because people who are thinking this are not loud or posting every five minutes does not mean there are not allot fans who embarrassed by the timing of the move and the cover up stories that follow. 

Put it this way I prolly wont spend my money on new gear this yr because i really disliked the coach they hired and this. I was planning on going to a game but you know the Bahamas sound nice this year as well.

We all want a winner but not all of want to be the laughing stock trying to get there

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rammagen said:

here is the thing about Lombardi he is looking for a way back into the nfl. I would not trust allot of what he says because he is fishing for attention.

I still think this is power play by Gase and any rope or slack he had went out the door with Mac who the perfect person to blame and get some breathing room. He has to win period otherwise it will get ugly just because people who are thinking this are not loud or posting every five minutes does not mean there are not allot fans who embarrassed by the timing of the move and the cover up stories that follow. 

Put it this way I prolly wont spend my money on new gear this yr because i really disliked the coach they hired and this. I was planning on going to a game but you know the Bahamas sound nice this year as well.

We all want a winner but not all of want to be the laughing stock trying to get there

Have a good trip

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The picture you’re seeing painted right now is that Maccagnan was very bad at his job, in all facets, and you should feel bad for supporting him or experiencing anxiety regarding his termination. 

I am not against the firing but the timing of it sucks and makes us look foolish as a team, what in the world gives people confidence in gase when the facts laid out logically show him to be a sub 500 coach who never developed a young qb. A coach with an ego issue https://www.thesportster.com/news/adam-gases-final-weeks-with-dolphins-was-full-of-massive-arguments-with-owner-stephan-ross/

this is from a beat writer in Miami

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-gase-jets-gm-20190515-33kanq6k2jd4ni5qxs7dz7y66y-story.html

What I see is the team making big old turd sandwhich  when they should have fired Macc when the fired Bowles. Pretty simple answer bring a new regime and avoid all of this.

What I see is a sub 500 coach who has not coached a single game for the Jets being overloaded when every ounce of energy should be spent on getting Sam up to speed, not trading linebackers or talking with GMs. He supposedly does one job well let him do it, now this is another built in excuse for a bad yr.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Have a good trip

thanks because I cant see giving money to a team doing this crap and buying into it? A fool and his money are soon parted. Mac sucked but what about this team screams confidence Gase hardly inspires that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, rammagen said:

I am not against the firing but the timing of it sucks and makes us look foolish as a team, what in the world gives people confidence in gase when the facts laid out logically show him to be a sub 500 coach who never developed a young qb. A coach with an ego issue https://www.thesportster.com/news/adam-gases-final-weeks-with-dolphins-was-full-of-massive-arguments-with-owner-stephan-ross/

this is from a beat writer in Miami

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-gase-jets-gm-20190515-33kanq6k2jd4ni5qxs7dz7y66y-story.html

What I see is the team making big old turd sandwhich  when they should have fired Macc when the fired Bowles. Pretty simple answer bring a new regime and avoid all of this.

What I see is a sub 500 coach who has not coached a single game for the Jets being overloaded when every ounce of energy should be spent on getting Sam up to speed, not trading linebackers or talking with GMs. He supposedly does one job well let him do it, now this is another built in excuse for a bad yr.

On the other hand, Gase is currently the smartest and most connected employee on the Jets payroll, so he should be in charge because no one else in the building is remotely qualified to order pencils.