So when is Bell getting cut?

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good coaches deactivate their best player.  Exudes confidence in their leadership.  Worked out really well for Gase in Miami. 

Yes, Gase is terrible and Leveon Bell is a consummate professional team player who lifts up every roster he's ever been on.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But it’s a bulletproof two years. Gase has zero leverage over Bell if Bell decides to flake out on the team. Now, at least, he can just deactivate Bell and the organization can hang the dead money on Macc.

Getting a player of Bell's talent level while only having to commit to a potential head case for two years is a steal for the Jets. 

Also, you can already tell by the stuff Bell is saying in the media that he's going to give it a legit shot in 2019. Frankly, if he ever wants a good contract again in the NFL, he has to show up and play hard. 

The Bell stuff is much ado about nothing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Getting a player of Bell's talent level while only having to commit to a potential head case for two years is a steal for the Jets. 

Also, you can already tell by the stuff Bell is saying in the media that he's going to give it a legit shot in 2019. Frankly, if he ever wants a good contract again in the NFL, he has to show up and play hard. 

The Bell stuff is much ado about nothing. 

Two things:

1. Bell said the exact same sh*t last year and still never showed up for the Steelers. He told them two days before their deadline that he was in shape and ready to rejoin the team, then flaked.

2. Bell isn't getting another contract. He's going to be 30 years old when this deal expires. This is his retirement package.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Two things:

1. Bell said the exact same sh*t last year and still never showed up for the Steelers. He told them two days before their deadline that he was in shape and ready to rejoin the team, then flaked.

2. Bell isn't getting another contract. He's going to be 30 years old when this deal expires. This is his retirement package.

Ugh. The Bell haters will try any stupid argument to discredit him. There is no correlation between the Jets situation the Steelers last year. Zero. And Bell will not yet be 30 when the contract expires. If he's put up great numbers he'll get another contract. Just won't be anything like the current one. The fact that Gase didn't like guaranteeing $5 million more than the Steelers were prepared to is about as much a non-story as you can get. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Ugh. The Bell haters will try any stupid argument to discredit him. There is no correlation between the Jets situation the Steelers last year. Zero. And Bell will not yet be 30 when the contract expires. If he's put up great numbers he'll get another contract. Just won't be anything like the current one. The fact that Gase didn't like guaranteeing $5 million more than the Steelers were prepared to is about as much a non-story as you can get. 

I'm not the one who hates the contract: Gase supposedly does. I'm just offering up why I feel Gase would dislike that contract given that it doesn't really tie up heavy cap space long-term. Bell already blew off OTA's. Let's not act like he's some misunderstood good guy. As far as his next contract, the dude only had two teams trying to give him a contract this time around when he's supposedly in his prime, and he had to settle for WR2 money short-term from the Jets.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I'm not the one who hates the contract: Gase supposedly does. I'm just offering up why I feel Gase would dislike that contract given that it doesn't really tie up heavy cap space long-term. Bell already blew off OTA's. Let's not act like he's some misunderstood good guy. As far as his next contract, the dude only had two teams trying to give him a contract this time around when he's supposedly in his prime, and he had to settle for WR2 money short-term from the Jets.

No one wanted Bell but the jets.  Especially at the money he wanted. He publicly said he wanted to sign with the Colts who had cap room and could use a running back and the Colts said no thanks

Mac once again bid against himself

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he returns to form and the blocking isn't garbage, we got a top-talent player, who's a great receiver out of the backfield for our young QB, who (by age) should still be very much in his playing prime. Add in he's had a year and a half off to heal up like he's never had in his life without rehabbing an injury.

Very  underemphasized point.  This "countdown to 30" for RBs exists because their legs take a beating, what with running through the line and having to pass-block defenders 50 lbs heavier than themselves.  Bell has taken a year off while uninjured, so the "countdown to 30" gets set back a couple of years.

Oh yeah, Bell is about 20 lbs heavier than the average running back, so the people he's pass-blocking against are only about 30 lbs heavier than Bell.  After several years of doing this, that makes a difference in wear and tear on the body.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Two things:

1) If you honestly believe there is a chance that bell won’t show up to play for the Jets, that’s cool. We’ll see what happens.

2) True, but he’ll only be 29 in two years and there are still backs bouncing around the league over the age of 30. 

• Upvote 1

Le'Veon Bell is a terrific football player.

Please... please... wait to actually watch him play.  I mean regularly watch him play before discussing this type of stuff any further.  He is going to make this team so much better. I promise you won't care what the Jets are paying him. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, Gase is terrible and Leveon Bell is a consummate professional team player who lifts up every roster he's ever been on.

The Steelers with LeVeon Bell as their work horse won - 11, 10, 11, 13 games and made the playoffs each year.  FIrst year without him?  9-6-1 no playoffs and the Ironclad Steelers are literally falling apart. Statistically, he is in a rare stasphoere with the likes of Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Marshall Fualk and Barry Sanders.  

Quick, now you do Gase!!!???

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He represents $25 million in dead cap space if you try to move him, which is likely why Gase hated that contract in the first place.

Its been 11 years since an intelligent person was in charge of the Jets. Give them time, they'll come around.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Steelers with LeVeon Bell as their work horse won - 11, 10, 11, 13 games and made the playoffs each year.  FIrst year without him?  9-6-1 no playoffs and the Ironclad Steelers are literally falling apart. Statistically, he is in a rare stasphoere with the likes of Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Marshall Fualk and Barry Sanders.  

Quick, now you do Gase!!!???

Hang on. I’m looking up how great Brown, Simpson, Faulk, and Sanders were after the age of 27. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hang on. I’m looking up how great Brown, Simpson, Faulk, and Sanders were after the age of 27. 

I'll make it easy for you;

Faulk - 1300 yards, 12 TD's.  83 receptions, 800 yards, 9 TD's

OJ - 1800 yards, 16 TD's.  28 receptions, 426 yards, 7 TD's.

Barry - 1550 yards, 11 TD's.  48 receptions, 400 yards, 1 TD

Brown - 1800 yards, 12 TD's. 24 receptions, 250 yards, 3 TD's. 

Still waiting for Gase...

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I'll make it easy for you;

Faulk - 1300 yards, 12 TD's.  83 receptions, 800 yards, 9 TD's

OJ - 1800 yards, 16 TD's.  28 receptions, 426 yards, 7 TD's.

Barry - 1550 yards, 11 TD's.  48 receptions, 400 yards, 1 TD

Brown - 1800 yards, 12 TD's. 24 receptions, 250 yards, 3 TD's. 

Still waiting for Gase...

OJ was GUILTY, BRO

• Haha 2

According to this article in the Pittsburgh Press Gazz Bell is the only player to hold out a year and get less money. https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/03/14/Le-Veon-Bell-s-contract-with-Jets-even-worse-than-it-first-looked/stories/201903140153. But does his deal have a no trade clause. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. It was a good price for the Jets. He is well rested. He is self centered. I think a lot of teams would take on that contract. It was a good signing at that price. If Gase wants to get rid of him it's possible and with compensation. But would that make sense. Bell could make this team viable this season. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Very  underemphasized point.  This "countdown to 30" for RBs exists because their legs take a beating, what with running through the line and having to pass-block defenders 50 lbs heavier than themselves.  Bell has taken a year off while uninjured, so the "countdown to 30" gets set back a couple of years.

Oh yeah, Bell is about 20 lbs heavier than the average running back, so the people he's pass-blocking against are only about 30 lbs heavier than Bell.  After several years of doing this, that makes a difference in wear and tear on the body.

Think about this after Bell continues to skip practice his legs will be really fresh for whenever he does show up for the games

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Think about this after Bell continues to skip practice his legs will be really fresh for whenever he does show up for the games

It's a voluntary practice.  And even though he doesn't have to be, Bell is on the premises working out preparing for the season.  It's not like he's partying in Aruba or someplace.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, T0mShane said:

And if Joe Caproso's words are to be believed (see podcast from Villain's post below), apparently Bell doesn't fit Gase's offense:

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And if Joe Caproso's words are to be believed (see podcast from Villain's post below), apparently Bell doesn't fit Gase's offense:

If this is the case, then I have some new concerns about Gase as a tactician and football mind.  If he's so stringent and inflexible in his assessment of players and their ability to "fit" his system, that does not speak well to the effectiveness of his system or his abilities as an innovative football mind.

LeVeon Bell has  special abilities as a running back.  He has exceptional vision, patience, and elusiveness.  He also runs with power. He is the best receiving back in the game.  There is nothing that Tevin Coleman can do that Bell can't.  The reverse is not true.  If Adam Gase cannot adjust his "system" to accommodate the skills of LeVeon Bell, then he is not the coach that I envisioned him to be.

That being said, I think that this is a bunch of crap.  LeVeon Bell will flourish under Gase, and so will the Jets offense.  July can't come fast enough.