This years draft may soften the blow on Macc's legacy with Jets

.Quinnen Williams may turn out to be a generational player, as some have indicated, and Polite could turn out to be a bonafide steal of the draft.

Even if none of the other draft choices work out well, these two would make Macc's legacy not a complete disaster.

I'm on board with getting rid of Macc now, because although he has drafted some good players, I really feel that he is overall clueless and has at least drafted the top players well, with the exception of Darren Lee.  Even Lee wasn't a "total bust".

Even on the Offensive line, he did trade for a left guard that looks to be a great trade, even if he didn't do enough for the O line.

• Upvote 1

Mac took some layups and this years' team will be competitive.  I'll always be grateful he got us Sam Darnold.  And QW should be an elite guy in the coming years, as will Jamal Adams.  It's just outside of that some very Idzik'y drafting.  I'm fine with the team this year and will be happy if we pull in the Eagles guy for GM moving forward who will hopefully build up the Oline around the young QB and start filling holes instead of dumping limited resources into the same positions over and over.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fact: Mac landing Sam Darnold is better than anything Adam Gase has ever done in his career.

I think that ultimately getting Sam Darnold the way we did was very lucky.  Even with luck, Macc made it happen and deserves the credit.  

Imagine if the Giants would have taken Darnold #2?  Then Macc would have been skewered and would have been fired before this year even began.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Really have to hope that QW turns out to be better than Ed Oliver, especially with Oliver in the division. QW just felt like the prototypical Safe Maccagnan Pick there. Polite being on par with Allen would be huge. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

Really have to hope that QW turns out to be better than Ed Oliver, especially with Oliver in the division. QW just felt like the prototypical Safe Maccagnan Pick there. Polite being on par with Allen would be huge. 

I was a huge Ed Oliver fan pre draft and tbh I still am. I root for all the AFC first round DT to beat David Andrews and Smoosh tb12 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

.Quinnen Williams may turn out to be a generational player, as some have indicated, and Polite could turn out to be a bonafide steal of the draft.

Even if none of the other draft choices work out well, these two would make Macc's legacy not a complete disaster.

I'm on board with getting rid of Macc now, because although he has drafted some good players, I really feel that he is overall clueless and has at least drafted the top players well, with the exception of Darren Lee.  Even Lee wasn't a "total bust".

Even on the Offensive line, he did trade for a left guard that looks to be a great trade, even if he didn't do enough for the O line.

It will likely help with negotiations with Leo and Adams as there is no bias on the new GM to resign them.

29 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think that ultimately getting Sam Darnold the way we did was very lucky.  Even with luck, Macc made it happen and deserves the credit.  

Imagine if the Giants would have taken Darnold #2?  Then Macc would have been skewered and would have been fired before this year even began.  

mac was very good at making those top 6 draft picks.  and yes, had darnold not fallen to the jets, mac would've gotten the credit he deserved for using all those draft picks for the right to draft allen or rosen.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Sorta fitting that Maccagnan's legacy hinges on a fat OLB that ran a 5.04/40.

good point.  in all honesty, polite looks more like the real deal than, say, mauldin.  even a blind squirrel on his way out finds an acorn once in a while.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Falling in your lap doesn't count.

I just don't understand this.   What are you supposed to do when you trade up to a spot so you can have Darnold or Mayfield 'fall in your lap'. 

Trade back to 6?    Only Jets fans could kill a guy who moved up to get a franchise qb and got one.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fact: Mac landing Sam Darnold is better than anything Adam Gase has ever done in his career.

40 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Falling in your lap doesn't count.

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You don’t want to do this, JiF.

I agree with JiF. Mac made a trade in March to move to 3. As most teams do they had a good read that either Mayfield or Darnold would make it to the 3rd pick. By trading in March Mac actually paid less than he would have needed to 6 weeks later to make the move to 3 on draft night.

Gase, hopefully, turns out to be the man, but his past is not "glowing with success". Outside of Manning falling in Denver's lap, he had a decent year with Ryan Tannehill once. Lets not act like Gase is anything but a Rex Ryan want to be..... and hell Rex as a DC was better than Gase as an OC.... 

Prove me wrong Gase.... or GTFO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I agree with JiF. Mac made a trade in March to move to 3. As most teams do they had a good read that either Mayfield or Darnold would make it to the 3rd pick. By trading in March Mac actually paid less than he would have needed to 6 weeks later to make the move to 3 on draft night.

Gase, hopefully, turns out to be the man, but his past is not "glowing with success". Outside of Manning falling in Denver's lap, he had a decent year with Ryan Tannehill once. Lets not act like Gase is anything but a Rex Ryan want to be..... and hell Rex as a DC was better than Gase as an OC.... 

I’m not saying Gase has done more, but it’s really what T0m said.... is that really the approach you want to take to this OP lol? just really not much point in it.

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Possibly.  But winning a Super Bowl with Sam Darnold would easily be checkmate for Adam Gase.  Heck, only 3 coaches in the history of the NYJ have ever even gotten them to an AFCCG game.  Let's give the dude a little time.

56 minutes ago, Edgy said:

I just don't understand this.   What are you supposed to do when you trade up to a spot so you can have Darnold or Mayfield 'fall in your lap'. 

Trade back to 6?    Only Jets fans could kill a guy who moved up to get a franchise qb and got one.  

It's not rocket science, it's football.

53 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m not saying Gase has done more, but it’s really what T0m said.... is that really the approach you want to take to this OP lol? just really not much point in it.

people care what T0m says? lol... I get it. but JiF's point is legitimate.

and as for the OP, I mean Mac did enough damage and we might have a franchise QB so that is 50 years in waiting, but Mac was bad and may have 1 glowing positive - Darnold. 

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

people care what T0m says? lol... I get it. but JiF's point is legitimate.

and as for the OP, I mean Mac did enough damage and we might have a franchise QB so that is 50 years in waiting, but Mac was bad and may have 1 glowing positive - Darnold. 

Yeah, but JiF’s point doesn’t really matter considering the point of the OP. Maccagnan’s draft picks don’t mean he deserves any type of praise, mention or f*ck given...even IF Gase hasn’t done a thing yet. What is JiF’s point in bringing up Gase besides to reiterate the same thing he’s been saying since we hired Adam Gase — he is unproven. 

That’s all fine and dandy but.. why? lol. That’s all I’m saying. Odd/unprovoked comment there.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I often imagine the Jets winning the Super Bowl.  And then they dont but it's cool when something real happens.  Like when the Jets drafted Sam Darnold. 

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Mac didnt have to trade up to #3...

but Jets fans rather play the, if the Giants didnt take Barkley game.  Strange fanbase really.  

• Upvote 1